Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

EasyJet bumps unaccompanied minor

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 am

EZY8333 Gatwick to Toulouse

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... at-gatwick

Casper Read, a schoolboy from Worthing, West Sussex, was taking only his second flight alone, to stay with relatives in France. His mother helped him check in at the airport with his bags before he went through security to the gate.

Read was given a boarding pass for seat 9A but after texting his mother to tell her he was aboard, another passenger claimed his seat. With the plane overbooked, Read was told to leave the plane.

He texted his mother, Stephanie Portal, who returned to the airport and found staff to help locate her son in departures. Read’s grandparents had already embarked on the two-hour round trip to Toulouse from their home to meet him.

Eventually, Portal persuaded easyJet to allocate her son a seat on the final departure of the day to Toulouse, although she said the airline’s system apparently showed all four flights on Thursday were overbooked.

The final flight, scheduled to depart at 6.40pm, was delayed by almost three hours, meaning Read finally arrived in Toulouse well after midnight.

Portal said: “It’s crazy. They left him alone in departures. Luckily, I had still not got on board my train to London and could come back and find him. If I had not been there I don’t know what would have happened – he’d have had no money for the train back or anything.”

------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion --- the Mother should have stayed until the plane got airborne.

At least there were no bloodied noses...

Flaps

Re: EasyJet bumps unaccompanied minor

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:35 am

I agree with your opinion. Any parent that does not wait until the aircraft is airborne is asking for trouble. I never let my children fly unaccompanied period. Too many things can happen or go wrong and with no one to give guidance or direction the child becomes vulnerable.

77H

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 am

Flaps wrote:
I agree with your opinion. Any parent that does not wait until the aircraft is airborne is asking for trouble. I never let my children fly unaccompanied period. Too many things can happen or go wrong and with no one to give guidance or direction the child becomes vulnerable.

I flew unaccompanied many times in my youth with no problems. A lot of airlines charge a UM fee which often comes with a list of services to include watching after a UM throughout travel. I'm not sure if easyjet charges for UMs but for airlines that do why shouldn't the parent expect that the airline would take care of the child.

Moreover, waiting until the flight takes off means little. Working for an airline I've seen my fair share of air returns. Should the parent stay until the flight lands at destination? What about a diversion? Why wouldn't a parent expect the airline would watch after UMs?

77H

Scinfaxi

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:32 am

Easyjet doesn't do a UMNR service. Anyone over 14 can travel. So as far as they're concerned, he's just another passenger.

Virtual737

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:44 am

This goes back to the "have our cake and eat it attitude of airlines". From http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking/making-a-change comes this info:

When you book to travel with us, the tickets you buy are non-refundable. However, we do understand that sometimes plans change and you may need to amend your booking so we’ve tried to be as fair as we can when applying fees and charges.

On average it takes around 200 days for us to sell all of the seats on a plane. If you decide to change your flights, the amount of notice we get determines whether or not we are able to resell the seats. At more than 60 days to go we may be able to resell the seats, so we charge you a lower fee to make the change. However, if you’re making the change with less than 60 days to go, it is very likely the seat will fly empty, so we ask you to make a larger contribution to this.

So on one hand EasyJet are saying that they are charging you a fee to change your flight based on the length of time you give them to resell it. On the other hand they have already double sold a number of seats anyway. So, they charge you when your plans change and inconvenience you if their overbooking gamble didn't work out while trying to convince you they will only sell a seat again once they know it wont be occupied

Sorry airlines, you can't continue to get away with this.

rbavfan

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:51 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
EZY8333 Gatwick to Toulouse

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... at-gatwick

Casper Read, a schoolboy from Worthing, West Sussex, was taking only his second flight alone, to stay with relatives in France. His mother helped him check in at the airport with his bags before he went through security to the gate.

Read was given a boarding pass for seat 9A but after texting his mother to tell her he was aboard, another passenger claimed his seat. With the plane overbooked, Read was told to leave the plane.

He texted his mother, Stephanie Portal, who returned to the airport and found staff to help locate her son in departures. Read’s grandparents had already embarked on the two-hour round trip to Toulouse from their home to meet him.

Eventually, Portal persuaded easyJet to allocate her son a seat on the final departure of the day to Toulouse, although she said the airline’s system apparently showed all four flights on Thursday were overbooked.

The final flight, scheduled to depart at 6.40pm, was delayed by almost three hours, meaning Read finally arrived in Toulouse well after midnight.

Portal said: “It’s crazy. They left him alone in departures. Luckily, I had still not got on board my train to London and could come back and find him. If I had not been there I don’t know what would have happened – he’d have had no money for the train back or anything.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

At least there were no bloodied noses...

Why would you send your child on a flight on an airline that charges for everything with NO MONEY? Not to mention as noted I would never leave till I knew hos flight had departed with him. You can get access to the gate as a parent when dropping off your child. Bad parenting!

rbavfan

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 am

Virtual737 wrote:
This goes back to the "have our cake and eat it attitude of airlines". From http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking/making-a-change comes this info:

When you book to travel with us, the tickets you buy are non-refundable. However, we do understand that sometimes plans change and you may need to amend your booking so we’ve tried to be as fair as we can when applying fees and charges.

On average it takes around 200 days for us to sell all of the seats on a plane. If you decide to change your flights, the amount of notice we get determines whether or not we are able to resell the seats. At more than 60 days to go we may be able to resell the seats, so we charge you a lower fee to make the change. However, if you’re making the change with less than 60 days to go, it is very likely the seat will fly empty, so we ask you to make a larger contribution to this.

So on one hand EasyJet are saying that they are charging you a fee to change your flight based on the length of time you give them to resell it. On the other hand they have already double sold a number of seats anyway. So, they charge you when your plans change and inconvenience you if their overbooking gamble didn't work out while trying to convince you they will only sell a seat again once they know it wont be occupied

Sorry airlines, you can't continue to get away with this.

Thats what I like about B6 (jetBlue) they are the only US airline that does not overbook. On occasion they have to substitute a smaller plane due to breakdowns, but otherwise it's good to go.

Andy33

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:07 am

rbavfan wrote:
You can get access to the gate as a parent when dropping off your child.

Really, at London Gatwick? The whole system there is designed so that nobody without a boarding pass for a specific flight departing that terminal that day can get past Security. In fact that's pretty general right across UK airports.
Back in the days when British Airways operated a full unaccompanied minors service (which they dropped as demand fell) the parents handed the minors over to BA at the check-in desk, not airside. Same applies to disabled/elderly travellers requiring assistance. They're handed over to airport assistance landside, and carers/relatives do not go airside unless they're on the same flight.
If there's a way of non-travelling parents going to the gate at a UK airport to see children off, please tell us how as I know people who would use it.

MillwallSean

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 am

Easyjet has obviously screwed up here. But they get to pay for their mistake. Overbooking falls under EU legislation and the rules are extremely clear and tested in the EU court. The teenager will get duly compensated and Easyjet has no choice but o eat some public crow here. Not good publicity, even though I find "boy" a bit rich when we discuss a 14 year old "teenager".

With that said, there is something here that isn't right. Having given him a boarding pass and then asked him to disembark, Easyjet can't just send him to the departure area. They must, by law, provide him with assistance (meal, telephone calls and accommodation, if necessary, EU Regulation 261/2004).
If they didn't do that they have a pretty hefty fine coming (To our members from across the Atlantic, EU fines does not enrich the claimant - compensation levels are already fixed and airlines that have not provided that mandatory support are fined but individual additional compensation is limited to what should cover potential expenses, so there is little point in posturing for an enriching monetary settlement).

Personally I would question how Easyjet can choose to disembark a 14 year old male, I assume they took the easy route and took the one (despite seated) they thought would kick u the least fuss. This is obviously something that management will look at and probably send an internal mail about/ query whoever made the less intelligent decision.
Some say this is a 14 year old and whats the issue? I used to travel frequently as a 14 year old and I could look after myself pretty well at that age, however, I can not assume that all young teenagers are like me (Thank god for that). So just because I would have enjoyed the situation and known how to handle it (I can promise they wouldn't have asked 14 year old me to disembark in the first place) doesn't mean its easy for all young teenagers.
Maybe this young teenager needed his mum to assist him. Maybe he was just not used to doing things himself, perhaps finding air-travel in itself to be quite stressful, and just stood there wondering what had happened after he was disembarked.

Anyway its in the news and well, the family got a check coming and someone at Gatwick has to answer for how this choice was made...

Dutchy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:49 am

Scinfaxi wrote:
Easyjet doesn't do a UMNR service. Anyone over 14 can travel. So as far as they're concerned, he's just another passenger.

So he was at least 14, what is the problem then? Not very good thinking of Easyjet, but ok. He should never had gotten on the plane.

readytotaxi

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:02 am

Easyjet need to fall on their sword on this one. Hope they get lots of bad press.

B777LRF

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:24 am

When I worked for a handling agent, the message to the parents of UM was always the same: Stay in the airport until the aircraft has departed. This was to cater for the aircraft going tits up, not for the airline to dump a UM in favour of someone else. Another cardinal rule was: Don't ever, ever, EVER dump a UM.

MartijnNL

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 am

Dutchy wrote:
He should never had gotten on the plane.

Why not? He was checked in. He had a valid boarding pass with a seat number printed on it.

Dutchy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
He should never had gotten on the plane.

Why not? He was checked in. He had a valid boarding pass with a seat number printed on it.

Yes, I meant, Easyjet should not allow that this kind of things happen. Why should you allow anyone on a plane if you know the plane is overbooked. He should have been held back at the gate.

MartijnNL

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Easyjet need to fall on their sword on this one. Hope they get lots of bad press.

I hope they find out what went wrong and why. And then take steps to prevent it happening again.

Do you have something personal against easyJet?

Geoff1947

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 am

Don't get this. How did easyJet manage to issue two boarding passes for the same seat. As no-shows just lose their ticket, there is no justification for overbooking.

Geoff

MartijnNL

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 am

Dutchy wrote:
He should have been held back at the gate.

But why him? Why not another passenger? An adult maybe?

Dutchy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:56 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

If they were going to bumb him off the plane, he shouldnot have gotten on. That's all I am saying. As for whom gets the seat and whom doesn't, I don't know the rules for that. But if he is indeed at least 14, then he should be old enough to handle the situation, it's not like a ten or eight y/o. If he wasn't able to handle it, then his mother should not have let him travel to a foreign country all by himself. I did a lot more dangerous things when I was 14 :D

Or do you think I am too harsh in this?

mjoelnir

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 am

The usual crowed defending an airline.

According how EasyJet operates, at least how it is advertised, overbookings should not happen, in the worst case the seat goes empty, but is paid for. So it should not have been a question who gets deplaned. EasyJet has to pay compensation. I hope they have to pay a hefty fine and staff gets reeducated, if that was not a computer glitch.

I think we should stop calling this an unaccompanied minor situation, because it is not inside an unaccompanied minor program, but he flew as an adult.

MartijnNL

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:27 am

At the moment we don't know why the crew send him off the aircraft instead of someone else. I agree with you that they shouldn't have let him board in the first place when they already knew he wouldn't have a seat.

mjoelnir

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:38 am

Regulators should take harder on overbookings. At EasyJet a no show loses his/her ticket, no compensation, so the seat goes empty, but paid for. Why is it an acceptable greed to sell this paid for seat again? Make it expensive enough for the airline that they will avoid overbookings from happening, 5 times the ticket price or something similar.

RoySFlying

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 am

I understand why airlines overbook. What I don't understand is how it is possible that two boarding passes for the same seat can be issued against separate bookings. Surely once a boarding pass for a particular seat has been issued, the system should recognise that the passenger is checked in and that particular seat can not be allocated to another passenger. If a second passenger arrives, why is not the second passenger the one to be involunatarily denied boarding, rather than the one that has already been issued with a boarding pass and is already on board?

Dutchy wrote:
But if he is indeed at least 14, then he should be old enough to handle the situation

Perhaps, but I would have thought that an adult would have been in an even better position to deal with it. Then again, perhaps the adult did: s/he was the one that got to fly, possibly because the airline thought it would involve less of an argument. After all, their Customer Charter does profess to make all decisions "with you in mind". Pushover? Push them off the plane. Argue? Acquiesce.

Andy33

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 am

The easyJet overbooking started when they introduced flexible fare tickets which meant the ticket holder could transfer to another flight on the same route within one week before the booked date of travel or three weeks after, without extra fees. This meant that planes could indeed go out with empty seats if the passenger on a flexi fare changed the date of travel at short notice.
The trouble was and is that they introduced overbooking not just on frequent routes with lots of business traffic where you might expect flexi fare travellers, but also on ones that only operate one or two days a week.
I've been on an easyJet flight that was overbooked, and been asked to volunteer to be bumped. As the next flight was three days later, I declined.
Their standard method of bumping if there aren't enough volunteers is to select the last passengers to check in that haven't paid to reserve specific seat numbers. Since you can check in on line 30 days before departure, and all the seats can be reserved (for a fee), if your boarding pass has no seat number it means you have checked in fairly late in the process and not reserved a seat. As such you are waiting at the gate for no-shows or volunteers to release seats.
The photo of the boy's boarding pass shows a handwritten seat assignment, so he was a late(r) check-in without a specific seat number reservation. If I was sending an unaccompanied 14 year old, I think I'd have at least checked him in at the earliest possible date, and preferably reserved a seat as well.

I don't agree with easyJet's policy here, just trying to explain how it works.

Geoff1947

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 am

Yes easyJet seat assignment is great. You check in online and get a seat assigned for no charge 30 days in advance. Sounds like this young man didn't have an assigned seat.

Geoff

OA940

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:19 am

Jesus Christ, who bumps an unaccompanied minor? I flew as one when I was a child with A3 and it was lovely. Just like a normal flight except that there was a foreign lady to keep an eye on me. And we sat just behind Business Class, so we had a bit more legroom. But no airline should do something to an unaccompanied minor.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 pm

How in the world is it possible that two people both get assigned the same seat in the first place? That shouldn't be possible, but EasyJet did it.

The more I read about this, the more I feel for a law to disallow any kind of overbooking on all airlines (and huge penalties for airlines that do). For the persons that say this will make air travel more expensive, take a look at Ryanair. Ryanair doesn't overbook and they're about the cheapest in Europe, so it is possible.

fcogafa

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:13 pm

There seems to be more to this story, it is stated that the mother lied in some way when booking the ticket

Eindhoven

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:44 pm

And this is not the first time this happens on U2.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1360775

It seems like they have learned nothing.

FlyHappy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:01 pm

fcogafa wrote:
There seems to be more to this story, it is stated that the mother lied in some way when booking the ticket

"in some way"? what way would that be?

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Andy33 wrote:
The easyJet overbooking started when they introduced flexible fare tickets which meant the ticket holder could transfer to another flight on the same route within one week before the booked date of travel or three weeks after, without extra fees. This meant that planes could indeed go out with empty seats if the passenger on a flexi fare changed the date of travel at short notice.
The trouble was and is that they introduced overbooking not just on frequent routes with lots of business traffic where you might expect flexi fare travellers, but also on ones that only operate one or two days a week.

That is indeed exactly the problem. However, the solution is simple. For each flight they know exactly how many flexible fare seats they got and thus how many seats they can overbook if none of the flexi-fare passengers show up. If they do show up, they should be the ones to get bumped. Not the passengers who selected this specific flight. If 100 percent of the bookings are non flexi-fare then that leaves exactly zero seats to be overbooked.

FlyHappy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

If they were going to bumb him off the plane, he shouldnot have gotten on. That's all I am saying. As for whom gets the seat and whom doesn't, I don't know the rules for that. But if he is indeed at least 14, then he should be old enough to handle the situation, it's not like a ten or eight y/o. If he wasn't able to handle it, then his mother should not have let him travel to a foreign country all by himself. I did a lot more dangerous things when I was 14 :D

Or do you think I am too harsh in this?

Yes, you are being too harsh. per the Guardian story, the boy was 15 (not 14), but there's nothing that indicates that he did not "handle the situation". He was given a boarding pass with an assigned seat, boarded the craft, then was asked to de-board. He complied. Then he communicated his situation to his mother. What did he "not handle"?

Beyond the fact that Easyjet probably could have made a more practical choice of who to bump (though no one would be happy about it), they clearly should have a handled a rebooking (right away!) and assisted the child in communicating to his family proactively. It isn't about regulation, its about common sense.

AEROFAN

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:51 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
The usual crowed defending an airline.

IKR. Some of them are so darn ridiculous:checkmark: :banghead: :banghead:

skywaymanaz

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:54 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Not sure how that works in Europe. I recall reading online complaints that when G4 used to offer UM they refused to issue gate passes to parents of children above the UM age without charging the UM fee. U2 seems to have a well earned reputation of being the kind of airline that might charge extra for that even with UM fee paid for. As for everyone saying he was a teenager and not a boy I don't think too many hotels would put him up for the night on their own. Parents have your child try to get a room on their own and see how that works out.

readytotaxi

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:22 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I hope they find out what went wrong and why. And then take steps to prevent it happening again.

Do you have something personal against easyJet?

No, I don't. I have never flown with them. I am against bad customer service having been in the business all my life. You do not dump a UM to accommodate an adult.

precure787

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:22 pm

If that unaccompanied minor was on United Airlines flight, that would be a different story, given the public outrage via social media that Flight 3411 has caused, especially with the fact that the Vietnamese-American doctor was brutally dragged off the plane by airport security.
When do airlines even learn their lesson about the consequences for overbooking a flight? Southwest vowed that they'll never overbook flights and bump paying customers from that flight, following the United Airlines overbooking incident. I guess EasyJet did not follow suit, hmm?

WildcatYXU

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:28 pm

B777LRF wrote:
When I worked for a handling agent, the message to the parents of UM was always the same: Stay in the airport until the aircraft has departed. This was to cater for the aircraft going tits up, not for the airline to dump a UM in favour of someone else. Another cardinal rule was: Don't ever, ever, EVER dump a UM.

When our youngest traveled as an UM last time (YYZ - VIE on OS), I had to stay in the gate area a hour after departure. Once it was clear the aircraft will not return, an AC agent came to me and told me that I'm free to go.

Andy33

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:03 pm

skywaymanaz wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Not sure how that works in Europe. I recall reading online complaints that when G4 used to offer UM they refused to issue gate passes to parents of children above the UM age without charging the UM fee. U2 seems to have a well earned reputation of being the kind of airline that might charge extra for that even with UM fee paid for. As for everyone saying he was a teenager and not a boy I don't think too many hotels would put him up for the night on their own. Parents have your child try to get a room on their own and see how that works out.

It's basic security policy across Europe that nobody gets airside unless they have a boarding pass for a specific flight from that airport and terminal that day. There are exceptions in some countries, but as far as I know there's no such thing as a gate pass in the UK.
U2 don't have an unaccompanied minors fee or an unaccompanied minors service. They don't accept unaccompanied minors under 14 at all. 14 and above can travel on their own, as this boy did, at the normal fares, but no special arrangements are made for them.
Under EU law, when he was denied boarding the airline became liable for finding and paying for a hotel for him until they could actually get him away on a flight to his destination, so he wouldn't have had to organise one himself. In any case he was just 35 miles from home. The easyJet fail, apart from the initial disastrous seat allocation mistake, was in not escorting him to the easyJet customer service desk who would have been responsible for rebooking flights, providing meal vouchers and arranging accommodation overnight, or at the very least, making sure he knew where the desk was and why he needed to go there.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:32 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
When our youngest traveled as an UM last time (YYZ - VIE on OS), I had to stay in the gate area a hour after departure. Once it was clear the aircraft will not return, an AC agent came to me and told me that I'm free to go.

That's the way it works with unaccompanied minor programs here too, but in this case no such program was being used. EasyJet doesn't even have an unaccompanied minor program. The boy was travelling as an adult, without supervision. On EasyJet that's possible from 14 years up.

I guess next time the parents book him on Ryanair since Ryanair doesn't overbook. EasyJet just lost a customer.

Andy33

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Well they'll have to wait until he grows up then. Ryanair also doesn't carry unaccompanied under-16s.

klakzky123

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Putting aside the debate on unaccompanied minors, what is upsetting is the fact that:

1. He was already seated.
2. The adult was pitching a fit and the airline decided that it was easier to remove a child already on the plane.

We're so quick to fault the child's parents for not waiting at the airport for the plane to depart but somehow we're ok with the fact that a grown adult was throwing a hissy fit and managed to get his or her way at the expense of a child. Regardless of policy, this just strikes me as incredibly callous. More importantly, the child was already on the plane. If you managed to get seated, I dont see how its acceptable (even if it is legal) for an airline to just remove you because someone else was screaming bloody murder that they weren't able to be seated. This goes back to the United Airlines incident. Its one thing to bump someone at the gate but to remove them after they've been seated seems over the line.

Also one thing you can do in the US is get an escort/gate pass from the airline that actually allows you to go through security without a boarding pass if you have an unaccompanied minor. No idea of that concept exists in the EU but its something that should exist if it doesn't. Gate passes are just issued by the airlines at check in and some airlines do issue them even if you didn't pay a UM fee.

Andy33

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 pm

What appears to have happened is that the boy checked in (on-line) as the last or almost the last passenger. As a result of overbooking by then all the seats had been assigned, so although he got a boarding pass, there was no seat number on it, so he was obviously a candidate to be bumped. As other passengers (with assigned seats) arrive they are asked to volunteer for a bump (with compensation) The later flights the same day were also overbooked so the airline couldn't offer a same-day rebook, and volunteers didn't come forward. When this happens easyJet (after using the seats of no-shows) bumps the people still without seat assignments.
The gate agents seem to have assumed that one particular seat was going to be a no-show, handwrote the seat number on the boy's boarding pass, and let him board. At this point the passenger who had actually been assigned the seat arrived, complete with computer generated boarding pass with the seat number on it. The gate agents let him board too, with the consequences we all know.
Either the passenger with the assigned seat arrived after the 30 minute gate cut off time in which case he shouldn't have been allowed to board at all, or he arrived in time and his seat shouldn't have been given away until the cut off time was reached. A gate agent failure either way.
If the adult throwing the hissy fit had in fact arrived more than 30 minutes before scheduled departure time I can understand the anger - in that case he'd done everything according to the book, possibly also paying extra to reserve that specific seat. If he'd arrived at the gate late, I can't see why it wasn't him that was denied boarding

Geoff1947

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Andy33 wrote:
What appears to have happened is that the boy checked in (on-line) as the last or almost the last passenger. As a result of overbooking by then all the seats had been assigned, so although he got a boarding pass, there was no seat number on it, so he was obviously a candidate to be bumped. As other passengers (with assigned seats) arrive they are asked to volunteer for a bump (with compensation) The later flights the same day were also overbooked so the airline couldn't offer a same-day rebook, and volunteers didn't come forward. When this happens easyJet (after using the seats of no-shows) bumps the people still without seat assignments.
The gate agents seem to have assumed that one particular seat was going to be a no-show, handwrote the seat number on the boy's boarding pass, and let him board. At this point the passenger who had actually been assigned the seat arrived, complete with computer generated boarding pass with the seat number on it. The gate agents let him board too, with the consequences we all know.
Either the passenger with the assigned seat arrived after the 30 minute gate cut off time in which case he shouldn't have been allowed to board at all, or he arrived in time and his seat shouldn't have been given away until the cut off time was reached. A gate agent failure either way.
If the adult throwing the hissy fit had in fact arrived more than 30 minutes before scheduled departure time I can understand the anger - in that case he'd done everything according to the book, possibly also paying extra to reserve that specific seat. If he'd arrived at the gate late, I can't see why it wasn't him that was denied boarding

Thanks that all makes sense. No excuse for easyJet they shouldn't have let both passengers board.

Geoff

Delta777Jet

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 pm

First of all easyJet doesn"t accept UM's . So nobody requested this service as it is not advertised neither offered at all.
The flight was indeed oversold. The boy was late at the gate and his seat was given to someone else. That happends if you are not at the gate 20 minutes before departure. The boarding time on the Boarding Pass is clearly written as well as "If you are late , we won't wait". If you fail to be at the Gate 30 minutes before the right to take your seat away in indeed in the terms and conditions of the carrier. The boy should have gone to the gate straight away then the seat woud't have given to some one else. easy as that.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
First of all easyJet doesn"t accept UM's . So nobody requested this service as it is not advertised neither offered at all.
The flight was indeed oversold. The boy was late at the gate and his seat was given to someone else. That happends if you are not at the gate 20 minutes before departure. The boarding time on the Boarding Pass is clearly written as well as "If you are late , we won't wait". If you fail to be at the Gate 30 minutes before the right to take your seat away in indeed in the terms and conditions of the carrier. The boy should have gone to the gate straight away then the seat woud't have given to some one else. easy as that.

No, that's not correct. He wasn't late, he was perfectly on time and he was already sitting in the seat that was written on his boarding pass when someone else showed up with a boarding pass that had the same seat assigned. Then he had to leave.

Of course he shouldn't have given up his seat, he should have made a fuss. But in the end it wouldn't have mattered, the flight was oversold so somebody had to leave.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Geoff1947 wrote:
Thanks that all makes sense. No excuse for easyJet they shouldn't have let both passengers board.

Geoff

Or they shouldn't have let the last person check-in when all the seats had already been assigned. Check-in means you will actually be flying, so you can't have too many check-ins. If you check-in and you don't show up, pity for you but it's your own problem if you weren't on board.

EasyJet really screw up here and the only solution for them is to stop overbooking.

canyonblue17

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Here is how we avoid this at Southwest (where we no longer overbook unless there is a crew issue). If you wait to the last minute to check in - and the flight is almost full - you will receive a Security Document - not a Boarding Pass. You must then proceed to the gate and wait until 10 minutes before departure to see if there will be a no-show. If there is a no-show at the cut-off time, the no-show boarding pass is deleted and the Security Document passenger is given a boarding pass. Pretty simple - at no time should the Security Document passenger and the confirmed passenger who has no-showed both have boarding passes. That would be a failure of the gate agent.

skywaymanaz

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 am

Andy33 wrote:
It's basic security policy across Europe that nobody gets airside unless they have a boarding pass for a specific flight from that airport and terminal that day. There are exceptions in some countries, but as far as I know there's no such thing as a gate pass in the UK.

We'd all feel less sorry for the kid if he had a parent there making sure he was at the gate on time. Kids tend to wander off and not being the most experienced traveler he may not have been as aware of U2's fine print as even adults mess this up. I'm not sure why the EU doesn't have a gate pass system. It's not like someone with no carry-on is seriously backing up security lines. Not having that process will just encourage people to buy a refundable ticket to get a boarding pass to get around this. It wastes time and money and is inherently deceitful. It's probably legally fraud too but I guess it's easier to encourage people to do that sort of thing *wink* *wink* than make a legal accommodation process because zOMG terra!!! and the line will be that much longer :P

jomur

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 am

The unaccompanied minor bit is irrelevant in this case as EasyJet does not offer an UM service. The booking system will probably just show an adult passenger without going into the system to see his passport details and if he was last to checkin ( no idea) and his name came to be offload then thats how it works.. So would we have the same headlines if it was a 18 year old passenger?

Geoff1947

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 am

As I understand it the boy tried to check in , late, and there was no room.

Then easyJet decided there was room and gave him a handwritten boarding pass and allowed him to board.

Then easyJet decided there wasn't room and asked him to leave the plane.

Sounds like both the parent and easyJet got it wrong.

Geoff

Aesma

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am

My sister is 25yo, has already traveled alone on Easyjet, has a 5-year diploma in high demand and a good job, yet the other day she managed to show up at the airport without having checked-in and printed her pass, "hands in the pockets", despite their rules that you must do this two hours before the flight at the latest, even at the counter.

She managed to fly anyway, lucky her.

I have advised her to never fly with Ryanair !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos