ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:05 am

Forgive me if this has been asked (please direct me to the thread if so), but do you think we will see any US airline hub closures anytime soon? It seems DL in particular has a lot of hubs in close proximity to one another (MSP, DTW, CVG) and should probably close one of them (they have too many hubs overall IMO). AA too with PHL, JFK, LGA.
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 am

I think AA/UA/DL are in a good pace in terms of hubs, and DL seems to actually be adding hubs instead of eliminating them. Recently, DL cut MEM and UA cut CLE, both of which were never that large to begin with, did not have the O&D to support a hub, and were not profitable within the newly merged US3. The hub networks look pretty good to me currently:

AA: DFW/CLT/ORD/JFK/LGA/DCA/PHL/MIA/PHX/LAX
DL: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC/LGA/JFK/LAX/SEA/BOS/NRT/AMS/CDG/LHR
UA: ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX/EWR/IAD/GUM/NRT

In the last 5 years, DL has established or reestablished hubs in SEA, LAX, and BOS. While not an official hub, they have also been building up RDU, which is very close to ATL/DTW/CVG/LGA/JFK. Plus, they have been growing in CVG again after over a decade of massive cuts.

AA has a lot of hubs, many of which are in close proximity (PHX/LAX + LGA/JFK/PHL/DCA), however, many of these hubs are in major cities that can support large hubs with their O&D already. Nothing has happened to any of their hubs since the merger, and I see no reason why they would dehub them in the near future.

The only US carrier hub cuts I see in the near future is NRT for both UA and DL.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:01 am

cvgComair wrote:
The only US carrier hub cuts I see in the near future is NRT for both UA and DL.

Right now, United has DEN, EWR, GUM, HNL, IAD, IAH, ICN, LAX, ORD, and SFO from NRT. ICN ends October 27th. That leaves NRT-HNL as the only NRT flight not to a UA hub. I'd say NRT's already been de-hubbed by United.

Delta's slightly more robust at NRT with GUM, HNL, MNL, PDX, PVG, ROR, SIN, and SPN non-hub service. (In addition to ATL, DTW, and SEA service.)
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90
 
ADrum23
Topic Author
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:40 am

cvgComair wrote:
I think AA/UA/DL are in a good pace in terms of hubs, and DL seems to actually be adding hubs instead of eliminating them. Recently, DL cut MEM and UA cut CLE, both of which were never that large to begin with, did not have the O&D to support a hub, and were not profitable within the newly merged US3. The hub networks look pretty good to me currently:

AA: DFW/CLT/ORD/JFK/LGA/DCA/PHL/MIA/PHX/LAX
DL: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC/LGA/JFK/LAX/SEA/BOS/NRT/AMS/CDG/LHR
UA: ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX/EWR/IAD/GUM/NRT

In the last 5 years, DL has established or reestablished hubs in SEA, LAX, and BOS. While not an official hub, they have also been building up RDU, which is very close to ATL/DTW/CVG/LGA/JFK. Plus, they have been growing in CVG again after over a decade of massive cuts.

AA has a lot of hubs, many of which are in close proximity (PHX/LAX + LGA/JFK/PHL/DCA), however, many of these hubs are in major cities that can support large hubs with their O&D already. Nothing has happened to any of their hubs since the merger, and I see no reason why they would dehub them in the near future.

The only US carrier hub cuts I see in the near future is NRT for both UA and DL.


I think Delta should close CVG. You already have two viable Midwest hubs in MSP and DTW, plus it's not terribly far from Atlanta. Also, SLC seems pretty pointless (though it's probably just there to compete with UA in DEN).
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 am

CVG is definitely not a legitimate hub anymore and I still see BOS as more of focus city for DL and AA.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6757
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:46 am

ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
I think AA/UA/DL are in a good pace in terms of hubs, and DL seems to actually be adding hubs instead of eliminating them. Recently, DL cut MEM and UA cut CLE, both of which were never that large to begin with, did not have the O&D to support a hub, and were not profitable within the newly merged US3. The hub networks look pretty good to me currently:

AA: DFW/CLT/ORD/JFK/LGA/DCA/PHL/MIA/PHX/LAX
DL: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC/LGA/JFK/LAX/SEA/BOS/NRT/AMS/CDG/LHR
UA: ORD/DEN/IAH/SFO/LAX/EWR/IAD/GUM/NRT

In the last 5 years, DL has established or reestablished hubs in SEA, LAX, and BOS. While not an official hub, they have also been building up RDU, which is very close to ATL/DTW/CVG/LGA/JFK. Plus, they have been growing in CVG again after over a decade of massive cuts.

AA has a lot of hubs, many of which are in close proximity (PHX/LAX + LGA/JFK/PHL/DCA), however, many of these hubs are in major cities that can support large hubs with their O&D already. Nothing has happened to any of their hubs since the merger, and I see no reason why they would dehub them in the near future.

The only US carrier hub cuts I see in the near future is NRT for both UA and DL.


I think Delta should close CVG. You already have two viable Midwest hubs in MSP and DTW, plus it's not terribly far from Atlanta. Also, SLC seems pretty pointless (though it's probably just there to compete with UA in DEN).

SLC gives DL a competitive position both geographically and in the business sense in the Mountain timezone. SLC is DL's Denver, although it seems to be a tad more isolated in terms of regions served in the country. It is a very capable hub in an important city and has been key in the DL system since the Western merger.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
ty97
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:02 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Forgive me if this has been asked (please direct me to the thread if so), but do you think we will see any US airline hub closures anytime soon? It seems DL in particular has a lot of hubs in close proximity to one another (MSP, DTW, CVG) and should probably close one of them (they have too many hubs overall IMO). AA too with PHL, JFK, LGA.


CVG has been effectively de-hubbed (don't know if it's officially been de-hubbed or not, I know you can still get connections through there on some routes). Outside of that, I think the US3 have right sized themselves at this point. MSP and DTW really are not that close. JFK and LGA for AA serve different purposes, and AA doesn't have a slew of slots at either so much of what they seem to aim for there is O&D. PHL serves as a better connecter hub for new AA given the slot shortages at JFK/LGA. And I can't see AA willingly giving up slots in the #1 market in the country, despite the foolheaded LGA/DCA slot swap that former management did at US.
 
WWads
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 am

Sigh. CVG is still a hub, regardless of what people on the internet think. It's still banked, and has more daily departures than RDU or BOS.

Mainline: Atlanta, Boston, Denver, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Tampa
Seasonal: Cancún, New York–JFK, New York–LaGuardia, Seattle/Tacoma, Washington–National

Delta Connection: Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Detroit, Fayetteville/Bentonville, Hartford, Houston–Intercontinental, Kansas City, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nashville, New York–JFK, New York–LaGuardia, Newark, Philadelphia, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, Toronto–Pearson, Washington–National
Seasonal: Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Tampa

DL maintains a small hub there due to strong O/D demand, along with some connection traffic (as high as 20%).

In terms of the topic, I previously thought that PHX would be at risk, but with LAX being a perpetual mess, and AA already having a weak presence in the western part of the country, I think it survives, and perhaps sees some expansion. AS being forced to distance itself from AA makes this even more likely IMO.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2425
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:17 am

cvgComair wrote:
DL: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC/LGA/JFK/LAX/SEA/BOS/NRT/AMS/CDG/LHR

While Delta does indeed include airports such as AMS, CDG, and LHR on its official list of hubs, they are of course the hubs of its European joint venture partners. You can't connect there between two flights on Delta metal (unless you want to return to the USA, a rather expensive way of getting between two US airports).

LHR isn't much of a hub for them on any definition because JV partner Virgin Atlantic has a very limited range of non-US destinations from there (just JNB. DXB, LOS, DEL, PVG and HKG on the current timetable) and the last two might well be more attractive as transpacific services from the USA. Eastbound, there are also very lengthy layovers between Delta arrivals (mostly mornings) and Virgin Atlantic departures (mostly late evenings).

If they're valid hubs for DL, then AA should be allowed LHR and MAD on its list, and UA be allowed FRA, MUC and BRU.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:37 am

adamblang wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
The only US carrier hub cuts I see in the near future is NRT for both UA and DL.

Right now, United has DEN, EWR, GUM, HNL, IAD, IAH, ICN, LAX, ORD, and SFO from NRT. ICN ends October 27th. That leaves NRT-HNL as the only NRT flight not to a UA hub. I'd say NRT's already been de-hubbed by United.

Delta's slightly more robust at NRT with GUM, HNL, MNL, PDX, PVG, ROR, SIN, and SPN non-hub service. (In addition to ATL, DTW, and SEA service.)


You could call NRT a focus city for UA, given the numerous nonstop flights to the USA, but remember that UA and NH have a code share agreement in place which is what makes the focus at NRT still wok. Delta isn't more robust at NRT. If anything, it is taking the hub down to focus on ICN (recently announced improved and expanded partnership with Sky Team member Korean Air) and you'll see DL focus more on PVG as an Asia hub with connections on local carriers.
 
User avatar
deltadawg
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 2:56 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm

CVG is gone! Really no need talking about it but yes, it was redundant after the NW merger thus it was downgraded to the demise of Comair. Concourse C was a purpose built facility for Comair/Delta and CRJ's and sits idle today. Unless an airline such as DH comes around again the building will most likely be demolished eventually.

As far as dehubbing in the US I cannot see any further cuts coming in the near term unless major instability happens.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3095
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:57 pm

deltadawg wrote:
CVG is gone! Really no need talking about it but yes, it was redundant after the NW merger thus it was downgraded to the demise of Comair. Concourse C was a purpose built facility for Comair/Delta and CRJ's and sits idle today. Unless an airline such as DH comes around again the building will most likely be demolished eventually.

As far as dehubbing in the US I cannot see any further cuts coming in the near term unless major instability happens.


Sits idle? Concourse C is gone... Yet CVG is still a hub for DL and will remain to be, probably growing going forward, to compete with WN out of CVG.
From my cold, dead hands
 
slvfly
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some people on this forum, I would think that airports with low O&D are the most likely to get cut (if an airline is looking to close a hub). Especially if there is already another hub in the same region.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:09 pm

No need for closures, the big 3 have pretty good equilibrium has noted up tread. I think the future growth for American Airlines and possibly even United Airlines will be in smaller focus cities small and little hubs. Delta is by means of needs doing this. AA and UA will catch on.
 
willenglish
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:14 pm

AA will not be closing PHL/LGA/JFK/DCA... they run the Eastern seaboard amongst the legacy carriers... although I could see some AA cuts potentially in CLT it will still be a prominent hub...
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2773
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Is there a reason DL doesn't have a hub in Texas or anywhere between ATL and LA in the southern states? I think they used to have one in Dallas and it obviously didn't work. I am curious to what dynamics pushed it out. I would think there would be demand. The only reason I bring it up is because if I want to fly from the midwest MCI/STL/IND,etc to, in my case a few weeks ago, ABQ or Texas for that matter, I have to fly way out of way (ATL/MSP/SLC) to get there if I would want to fly DL. I like DL but I wasn't willing to take a long way around when I could fly WN/AA through Dallas or UA/WN through DEN. Even PHX on AA/WN would have been more direct.

I am newer to this site so I don't know much about the history of some of these airlines and where they used to be yet. Thanks
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5399
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Is there a reason DL doesn't have a hub in Texas...


WN hubs at DAL and HOU; AA at DFW; UA at IAH. They quite fully aggregate / serve the needs of smaller Texas communities as connecting points, as well as giving the major metros a great variety of non-stop flights.. There's no more room for another good-sized hub in Texas than there is for another one in CHI!
 
theasianguy
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 pm

adamblang wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
The only US carrier hub cuts I see in the near future is NRT for both UA and DL.

Right now, United has DEN, EWR, GUM, HNL, IAD, IAH, ICN, LAX, ORD, and SFO from NRT. ICN ends October 27th. That leaves NRT-HNL as the only NRT flight not to a UA hub. I'd say NRT's already been de-hubbed by United.

Delta's slightly more robust at NRT with GUM, HNL, MNL, PDX, PVG, ROR, SIN, and SPN non-hub service. (In addition to ATL, DTW, and SEA service.)


You would be fooling yourself if you considered NRT a hub for DL. They have cut so many intra-Asia flights that only SIN and MNL will be left by next summer, and I would expect those to gone soon as well. The beach markets primarily run independently and offer limited connectivity from DL's US-NRT flights. UA at least has service to NRT from all its hubs. DL serves less than half of its hubs from NRT (MSP, JFK, LGA, SLC, LAX, BOS are without service), and has far fewer transpacific seats. UA calls NRT a "hub" in the sense that a significant portion of its passengers connect onto its JV partner, ANA on intra-Asia codeshares. NRT is a hub for United the same way AMS is a hub for Delta, one with a lot of connections and destinations on its JV partner, but only service to hubs on its own metal.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Andy33 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
DL: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC/LGA/JFK/LAX/SEA/BOS/NRT/AMS/CDG/LHR

While Delta does indeed include airports such as AMS, CDG, and LHR on its official list of hubs, they are of course the hubs of its European joint venture partners. You can't connect there between two flights on Delta metal (unless you want to return to the USA, a rather expensive way of getting between two US airports).

LHR isn't much of a hub for them on any definition because JV partner Virgin Atlantic has a very limited range of non-US destinations from there (just JNB. DXB, LOS, DEL, PVG and HKG on the current timetable) and the last two might well be more attractive as transpacific services from the USA. Eastbound, there are also very lengthy layovers between Delta arrivals (mostly mornings) and Virgin Atlantic departures (mostly late evenings).

If they're valid hubs for DL, then AA should be allowed LHR and MAD on its list, and UA be allowed FRA, MUC and BRU.


I agree. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy on DL's part (or originally NW I suppose). The other JVs aren't any different really.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 pm

cvgComair wrote:
I think AA/UA/DL are in a good pace in terms of hubs


Agreed. At this point, all four of the nationwide U.S. carriers have fairly diverse and well-placed hubs oriented to cater to a variety of domestic and international traffic flows. There are some obvious gaps - like AA in the western U.S., Delta in Texas, United in the southeastern U.S., etc. but overall, the hub structure of the nation's largest carriers - like the broader industry structure overall - seemed to have reached a natural, sustainable equilibrium.

grbauc wrote:
I think the future growth for American Airlines and possibly even United Airlines will be in smaller focus cities small and little hubs. Delta is by means of needs doing this. AA and UA will catch on.


Maybe, but I'm skeptical. It's hard to imagine which markets would be profitable as "smaller focus cities" and/or "little hubs" for AA or United. I agree that there may well be markets where both carriers add a few targeted, opportunistic and strategically important non-hub routes (that cater primarily to O&D but also some select connections) - but I wouldn't then call those places "hubs" for AA or United, just like I don't think such markets (CVG, BOS, RDU) are "hubs" for Delta, either.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Is there a reason DL doesn't have a hub in Texas...


WN hubs at DAL and HOU; AA at DFW; UA at IAH. They quite fully aggregate / serve the needs of smaller Texas communities as connecting points, as well as giving the major metros a great variety of non-stop flights.. There's no more room for another good-sized hub in Texas than there is for another one in CHI!


I do wonder whether we would see a third (or 5th, if you want to count DAL and HOU) major hub airport in Texas if Austin and San Antonio combined their airports mid way (such as in San Marcos). The drive time wouldn't be much further than DC to Dulles, and maybe even faster than getting to airports in major metro areas during rush hour if roads and transit were planned right. Certainly could lead to a big increase in destinations...
 
kavok
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 am

It would not make business sense for DL to consolidate their midwest operations at one hub, even if they wanted to (which they don't).

Geographically Chicago splits the midwest in two. Consolidating at either DTW or MSP would effectively gives the other half of the Midwest to UA/AA. Relocating DL to ORD would bring yields down due to crazy competition. Splitting between MSP and DTW gives DL better midwest coverage, and avoids the congestion problems at ORD. Plus both DTW and MSP are great airports, and generate a lot more O-D then most on A.net care to admit.
 
vadodara
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:58 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Is there a reason DL doesn't have a hub in Texas or anywhere between ATL and LA in the southern states? I think they used to have one in Dallas and it obviously didn't work. I am curious to what dynamics pushed it out. I would think there would be demand.


Hub's work only if you can scale them up. At DFW, DL operated 1 concourse (E) plus a satellite. AA, on other hand, operated 2 and some.

DL moved their assets to other hubs such as ATL, JFK and so forth. Obviously, they have done very well for themselves. AA at DFW now operates 3 plus international. Like DL, lot of these assets were consolidated at DFW from other smaller hubs like SJC, RDU, BNA etc.

Hubs work well for certain areas like SE USA. Small communities are better served by a mega hub like ATL.

For large metro's, hub's dont really work because there is enough market for point-to-point service. PanAm's JFK hub therefore died. Neither DL nor AA operate 'true' hub's out of JFK. B6 does well but more as a point-to-point service.

Just for AA, hubs that have been shut-down include SJC, BNA, RDU, STL, SJU. For US Air, PIT. For HP(America West), LAS. Hubs likely to be down include PHL.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:05 am

AA will probably scale back PHL and either PHX or LAX.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2773
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 am

Since the subject is USA airlines and not just the USA per se, I suspect that NRT is as good as gone for DL, with its joint venture with KE taking effect, and UA will likely close its hub there since it has GUM to handle the Asia Pacific region where needed with narrow-body aircraft and can hand off traffic in Tokyo to NH. Domestically, I suspect that PHX may be in danger for American. JFK, LGA, PHL, and DCA are all American hubs, but 3 of the 4 are slot restricted.
 
Vctony
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 1999 10:51 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 am

Varsity1 wrote:
AA will probably scale back PHL and either PHX or LAX.


This whole PHX is the most vulnerable hub argument is starting to get old.

Here is a list of the top 25 metro areas in the US. Phoenix is #12. PHX has the O/D population to support a hub or large focus city.

Rank Metropolitan Statistical Area 2016 Estimate 2010 Census % Change Encompassing Combined Statistical Area
1 New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area 20,153,634 19,567,410 +3.00% New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 13,310,447 12,828,837 +3.75% Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA Combined Statistical Area
3 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area 9,512,999 9,461,105 +0.55% Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area
4 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 7,233,323 6,426,214 +12.56% Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK Combined Statistical Area
5 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 6,772,470 5,920,416 +14.39% Houston-The Woodlands, TX Combined Statistical Area
6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area 6,131,977 5,636,232 +8.80% Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area
7 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area 6,070,500 5,965,343 +1.76% Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD Combined Statistical Area
8 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area 6,066,387 5,564,635 +9.02% Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Port St. Lucie, FL Combined Statistical Area
9 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area 5,789,700 5,286,728 +9.51% Atlanta-Sandy Springs, GA Combined Statistical Area
10 Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area 4,794,447 4,552,402 +5.32% Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT Combined Statistical Area
11 San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 4,679,166 4,335,391 +7.93% San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA Combined Statistical Area
12 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ Metropolitan Statistical Area 4,661,537 4,192,887 +11.18%
13 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 4,527,837 4,224,851 +7.17% Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA Combined Statistical Area
14 Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area 4,297,617 4,296,250 +0.03% Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor, MI Combined Statistical Area
15 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area 3,798,902 3,439,809 +10.44% Seattle-Tacoma, WA Combined Statistical Area
16 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area 3,551,036 3,348,859 +6.04% Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI Combined Statistical Area
17 San Diego-Carlsbad, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 3,317,749 3,095,313 +7.19%
18 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area 3,032,171 2,783,243 +8.94%
19 Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,853,077 2,543,482 +12.17% Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area
20 St. Louis, MO-IL Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,807,002 2,787,701 +0.69% St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL Combined Statistical Area
21 Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,798,886 2,710,489 +3.26% Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area
22 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,474,314 2,217,012 +11.61% Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC Combined Statistical Area
23 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,441,257 2,134,411 +14.38% Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, FL Combined Statistical Area
24 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,429,609 2,142,508 +13.40%
25 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,424,955 2,226,009 +8.94% Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA Combined Statistical Ar
 
cha747
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:07 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:02 am

Varsity1 wrote:
AA will probably scale back PHL and either PHX or LAX.


And the scale back at PHL will be welcome. Fewer flights means fewer delays and cancellations for this airport that can't grow anymore at all. People always cry about not having enough choices about flight times but honestly, I'd rather schedule my life around a scheduled flight rather than try to schedule my life in the midst of cancellations and delays; the former is much more easier to do than the latter.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6757
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am

grbauc wrote:
No need for closures, the big 3 have pretty good equilibrium has noted up tread. I think the future growth for American Airlines and possibly even United Airlines will be in smaller focus cities small and little hubs. Delta is by means of needs doing this. AA and UA will catch on.

AA and DL are currently going head-to-head in RDU and BOS. There aren't that many cities that can really merit a regional hub/focus city in the US. The 2 best I can think of that the US3 can take are PDX (could complement SFO well for UA which is weak in the PNW, AA could stand to make a run there also), AUS (has DL written all over it to make a run at another Texas hub, before the ULCCs take it over).

SAN and SAT could work as focus cities but SAN is horrible for connections for anywhere except to Australia and the South Pacific, and then you face the runway length issue; and SAT isn't as high yielding as AUS.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6757
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:48 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Since the subject is USA airlines and not just the USA per se, I suspect that NRT is as good as gone for DL, with its joint venture with KE taking effect, and UA will likely close its hub there since it has GUM to handle the Asia Pacific region where needed with narrow-body aircraft and can hand off traffic in Tokyo to NH. Domestically, I suspect that PHX may be in danger for American. JFK, LGA, PHL, and DCA are all American hubs, but 3 of the 4 are slot restricted.

DL still has some P2P routes from NRT including GUM, SPN, KOR, MNL, SIN, PDX, HNL and LAS. I'm not counting PVG because that is served nonstop from the US. It's still more of hub for DL than UA which only has service to its hubs and HNL with the ICN tag ending. NRT for UA is practically closed.

PHX for AA is interesting because it's a huge metro area, but is the only hub of the US3 without an intercontinental flight. And isnt that great geographically for connections, although AA and WN make their PHX ops work. PHXs best asset is good weather year-round. I always thought AA would use PHX as more of a reliever to LAX, but they seem to have kept it where it is for the most part since the merger. It's a good example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm

flyfresno wrote:
I do wonder whether we would see a third (or 5th, if you want to count DAL and HOU) major hub airport in Texas if Austin and San Antonio combined their airports mid way (such as in San Marcos).

TWA772LR wrote:
There aren't that many cities that can really merit a regional hub/focus city in the US. The 2 best I can think of that the US3 can take are PDX (could complement SFO well for UA which is weak in the PNW, AA could stand to make a run there also), AUS (has DL written all over it to make a run at another Texas hub, before the ULCCs take it over).


A combined airport in San Marcos is the only way Central Texas could ever viably support a network carrier hub. Short of that, neither AUS nor SAT on their own is large enough - as a market - to viably serve such a role.

It is intriguing to think about such a prospect - with a single, regional airport serving a combined population approaching four million people, I completely agree that a single, unified airport could be a very, very attractive place for a Delta hub. It would fit well with Delta's recent emphasis on tech industry traffic, it has healthy O&D and plenty of business demand, and while far south for connections in the south-central U.S., it's no further south than IAH and fine for lots of east-west connections. All that said, though - I don't see it happening. I don't see a plausible chance, anytime soon, of AUS and SAT willingly shutting down their airports and building one huge one in between.

Jshank83 wrote:
Is there a reason DL doesn't have a hub in Texas or anywhere between ATL and LA in the southern states? I think they used to have one in Dallas and it obviously didn't work. I am curious to what dynamics pushed it out.

vadodara wrote:
Hub's work only if you can scale them up. At DFW, DL operated 1 concourse (E) plus a satellite.


Indeed. As has been oft commented in the U.S. airline industry, there is a difference between being a close #2 and a distant #2. Distant #2s in a 2-way race - Delta in DFW, United in MIA, Continental in DEN (at the end), etc. - typically don't work. In the case of Delta at DFW, specifically, this was also exacerbated by the fact that DFW wasn't, at that time, and frankly probably still isn't today, large enough to support two network carrier hubs, plus Southwest. There are really only a few markets in the U.S. sufficiently large and sufficiently well-situated geographically to support so much fragmentation as two or more hubs. NYC is one, along with LAX metro, SFO/Bay Area metro, CHI metro, WAS metro and possibly South Florida. At DFW, Delta never had the scale to seriously rival AA - in virtually every market outside the southeast, AA dominated Delta in terms of both frequency and capacity, and this was even more pronounced internationally.

Vctony wrote:
This whole PHX is the most vulnerable hub argument is starting to get old.

Here is a list of the top 25 metro areas in the US. Phoenix is #12. PHX has the O/D population to support a hub or large focus city.

TWA772LR wrote:
PHX for AA is interesting because it's a huge metro area, but is the only hub of the US3 without an intercontinental flight. And isnt that great geographically for connections, although AA and WN make their PHX ops work. PHXs best asset is good weather year-round. I always thought AA would use PHX as more of a reliever to LAX, but they seem to have kept it where it is for the most part since the merger. It's a good example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."


Personally, I still do think PHX is the "most vulnerable" among AA's hubs, although having said that, I'm heartened and happy to say that it has fared better than I initially thought after the merger. PHX has seen capacity and frequency reduced in a lot of markets, and volume overall is down post-merger - and I suspect there is still more of that coming. But on the flip side, PHX has benefited from the network synergies of being integrated into a far larger network, which has facilitated access to new, smaller spokes that can diversify PHX's connecting flows and, helpfully, often at higher yields and in places where Southwest cannot compete. That has helped. Personally, I still think PHX will ultimately end up looking more like other U.S. network carrier hubs circa 2017 - meaning a higher proportion of RJs to mainline - and will continue to shrink somewhat overall. But I also agree that it seems to compliment LAX and - perhaps more importantly - DFW well.

TWA772LR wrote:
AA and DL are currently going head-to-head in RDU and BOS.


AA and Delta aren't really "going head-to-head" in either of those cities - in both places, AA is turning both into essentially very large spokes with lots of flights and seats to AA's hubs (which, obviously, tend to be some of the largest O&D markets and business centers in the U.S.). Delta is going after O&D with lots of nonstop routes out of both cities. It will be interesting to see how each strategy fares in the next downturn.
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm curious why Delta doesn't try to get more connecting traffic to go through CVG. Living back and forth between the Northeast and Florida, When I look at connecting flights CVG is never an option or if it is, it's $400-$800 more than connecting through ATL, RDU, MSP, DTW, or NYC.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I'm curious why Delta doesn't try to get more connecting traffic to go through CVG. Living back and forth between the Northeast and Florida, When I look at connecting flights CVG is never an option or if it is, it's $400-$800 more than connecting through ATL, RDU, MSP, DTW, or NYC.


Because in all likelihood, CVG is typically, on average, a much more expensive place to route a connection versus a hub. The opportunity cost of displacing a local O&D passenger for a connecting passenger is much higher in CVG because the number of seats, overall, is so much lower. In the case of northeast to Florida, Delta literally has multiple - in some cases, 4-6 - different places where they can connect that person.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13844
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:12 pm

commavia wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I'm curious why Delta doesn't try to get more connecting traffic to go through CVG. Living back and forth between the Northeast and Florida, When I look at connecting flights CVG is never an option or if it is, it's $400-$800 more than connecting through ATL, RDU, MSP, DTW, or NYC.


Because in all likelihood, CVG is typically, on average, a much more expensive place to route a connection versus a hub. The opportunity cost of displacing a local O&D passenger for a connecting passenger is much higher in CVG because the number of seats, overall, is so much lower. In the case of northeast to Florida, Delta literally has multiple - in some cases, 4-6 - different places where they can connect that person.


Right. Where the opportunity cost is zero (or at least very low) because O&D demand isn't as high, competitive connecting options can and do show up.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm

commavia wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I'm curious why Delta doesn't try to get more connecting traffic to go through CVG. Living back and forth between the Northeast and Florida, When I look at connecting flights CVG is never an option or if it is, it's $400-$800 more than connecting through ATL, RDU, MSP, DTW, or NYC.


Because in all likelihood, CVG is typically, on average, a much more expensive place to route a connection versus a hub. The opportunity cost of displacing a local O&D passenger for a connecting passenger is much higher in CVG because the number of seats, overall, is so much lower. In the case of northeast to Florida, Delta literally has multiple - in some cases, 4-6 - different places where they can connect that person.


Makes sense, never thought of it that way.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm

commavia wrote:

grbauc wrote:
I think the future growth for American Airlines and possibly even United Airlines will be in smaller focus cities small and little hubs. Delta is by means of needs doing this. AA and UA will catch on.


Maybe, but I'm skeptical. It's hard to imagine which markets would be profitable as "smaller focus cities" and/or "little hubs" for AA or United. I agree that there may well be markets where both carriers add a few targeted, opportunistic and strategically important non-hub routes (that cater primarily to O&D but also some select connections) - but I wouldn't then call those places "hubs" for AA or United, just like I don't think such markets (CVG, BOS, RDU) are "hubs" for Delta, either.


You do not see AA possibly expanding at SFO? There is a lot of premium traffic ex- SFO, and with the slight paring back of the relationship with AS following the VX takeover, does that not present an opportunity for AA to expand flying from SFO on its own metal? Particularly once AA moves to the new T1 and acquires extra gates. I fly AA to/from SFO most weeks (mostly to ORD but also JFK and to DFW and CLT to make connections) and seemingly every flight I am on is full. I really think AA has a bigger potential market at SFO than they are currently tapping.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
WWads
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31 pm

From what I've seen, connections via CVG aren't any more expensive than other hubs, and are sometimes cheaper (route-dependent of course). Lately I've also seen DL try to route pax originating at other hubs through CVG, by offering a much lower price on the 1-stop vs the nonstop. I regularly see ATL, MSP, DTW on the connections board when getting off a flight at CVG.
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm

vhtje wrote:
You do not see AA possibly expanding at SFO? There is a lot of premium traffic ex- SFO, and with the slight paring back of the relationship with AS following the VX takeover, does that not present an opportunity for AA to expand flying from SFO on its own metal? Particularly once AA moves to the new T1 and acquires extra gates. I fly AA to/from SFO most weeks (mostly to ORD but also JFK and to DFW and CLT to make connections) and seemingly every flight I am on is full. I really think AA has a bigger potential market at SFO than they are currently tapping.


No, I don't see that happening. I'd love nothing more than to see AA grow its presence in SFO - but it just seems implausible given how intense the competition is today in the Bay Area. As I've said many times, the only additional market I truly think AA needs to be in out of SFO is BOS - I continue to find AA's absence from this route remarkable. Beyond that, virtually everything else at this point - especially north-south along the west coast - is so competitive, with, typically, 3-4 other airlines, that I just don't see it being worth it.
 
izbtmnhd
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:59 pm

cvgComair wrote:
UA cut CLE did not have the O&D to support a hub.


CLE has more O&D than CVG. So does PIT. CLE and PIT are serving more total passengers by a good margin over CVG despite neither being a hub anymore.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm

vadodara wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Is there a reason DL doesn't have a hub in Texas or anywhere between ATL and LA in the southern states? I think they used to have one in Dallas and it obviously didn't work. I am curious to what dynamics pushed it out. I would think there would be demand.


Hub's work only if you can scale them up. At DFW, DL operated 1 concourse (E) plus a satellite. AA, on other hand, operated 2 and some.

DL moved their assets to other hubs such as ATL, JFK and so forth. Obviously, they have done very well for themselves. AA at DFW now operates 3 plus international. Like DL, lot of these assets were consolidated at DFW from other smaller hubs like SJC, RDU, BNA etc.

Hubs work well for certain areas like SE USA. Small communities are better served by a mega hub like ATL.

For large metro's, hub's dont really work because there is enough market for point-to-point service. PanAm's JFK hub therefore died. Neither DL nor AA operate 'true' hub's out of JFK. B6 does well but more as a point-to-point service.

Just for AA, hubs that have been shut-down include SJC, BNA, RDU, STL, SJU. For US Air, PIT. For HP(America West), LAS. Hubs likely to be down include PHL.



The year 2000 called, they want your post for their forum

In 2017, Delta operates a full, banked, throughout-the-day hub at JFK.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Don't forget a "hub" means a crew domicile. CVG is a very senior DL domicile (for now, hut that will change quickly) meaning votes of the LEC tend to favor the company. CVG votes on contract issues could swing the contract issue more toward the company meaning savings far outweigh the costs. I arrived in CVG late at 4-ish PM; no onward departures! Hotel and missed Mother's Day.

GF
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:38 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
UA cut CLE did not have the O&D to support a hub.

CLE has more O&D than CVG. So does PIT. CLE and PIT are serving more total passengers by a good margin over CVG despite neither being a hub anymore.

The only reason PIT/CLE have more passengers than CVG, is that DL chocked the CVG market. PIT and CLE were both cut quite suddenly and quickly, CVG’s downturn lasted over a decade. However, unlike PIT/CLE where LCC’s rushed in, DL kept up service at CVG. Just three years ago, CVG had 0 LCC’s and AA/UA barely operated anything from CVG. Plus, Southwest only came to CVG a month ago. YOY, CVG’s passenger count is up 13% and up 21% in June alone. It will not be long before CVG is just as big as CLE/PIT.
Last edited by cvgComair on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
ckfred
Posts: 5146
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Here's why PHL isn't going anywhere in the near future. Twenty years ago, AA have a very robust number of European destinations out of ORD, including the likes of Glasgow, Stockholm, and Zurich. If you go back further, AA flew wot Frankfurt, Munich, and Dusseldorf. All of those flights are gone, too.

If you start putting in European cities out of ORD, you wind up with one or more of the following routings:

A. AA or BA to LHR, connecting to BA
B. IB to MAD, connecting to MAD
C. AA to JFK, connecting to AA or another Oneworld carrier
D. AA to PHL, connecting to AA

In looking at flying AA from ORD to MUC, I got choices A, B, and D.

As AA takes deliveries of more 787s (although 767s will continue to leave the fleet), it will be interesting to see if AA adds to European flights out of ORD. But, with AA offering flights to European destinations out of PHL that aren't available out of ORD, I don't see PHL going away any time soon.
 
izbtmnhd
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm

cvgComair wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
UA cut CLE did not have the O&D to support a hub.


CLE has more O&D than CVG. So does PIT. CLE and PIT are serving more total passengers by a good margin over CVG despite neither being a hub anymore.


The only reason PIT/CLE have more passengers than CVG, is that DL chocked the CVG market. PIT and CLE were both cut quite suddenly and quickly, CVG’s downturn lasted over a decade. However, unlike PIT/CLE where LCC’s rushed in, DL kept up service at CVG. Just three years ago, CVG has 0 LCC’s and AA/UA barely operated anything from CVG. Plus, Southwest only came to CVG a month ago. YOY, CVG’s passenger count is up 13% and up 21% in June alone. It will not be long before CVG is just as big as CLE/PIT.


This is great and all but you implied that CLE does not have O&D like CVG. That's clearly not the case.

Even if CVG gets to be just as big as CLE/PIT, which isn't a certainty, it will still have less O&D. CVG is still a transfer hub for DL. CLE and PIT are not legacy carrier hubs.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:57 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
grbauc wrote:
No need for closures, the big 3 have pretty good equilibrium has noted up tread. I think the future growth for American Airlines and possibly even United Airlines will be in smaller focus cities small and little hubs. Delta is by means of needs doing this. AA and UA will catch on.

AA and DL are currently going head-to-head in RDU and BOS. There aren't that many cities that can really merit a regional hub/focus city in the US. The 2 best I can think of that the US3 can take are PDX (could complement SFO well for UA which is weak in the PNW, AA could stand to make a run there also), AUS (has DL written all over it to make a run at another Texas hub, before the ULCCs take it over).

SAN and SAT could work as focus cities but SAN is horrible for connections for anywhere except to Australia and the South Pacific, and then you face the runway length issue; and SAT isn't as high yielding as AUS.


I'm thinking more of WN style mini flow hubs. Smaller for those directional holes where back tracking makes AA noncompetitive.


I wish AA would add to SFO or a small focus city in the PNW. It's so hard to fly up and down the coast on AA metal.
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Don't forget a "hub" means a crew domicile.


It means whatever airline marketing people want it to mean. By that definition - a crew domicile - AA has a "hubs" in RDU and BOS. But that's obviously not true. To me, a network airline "hub" is an operation that has meaningful scale, and for which schedule is optimized primarily for connections. I do not consider CVG - let alone BOS, RDU, AMS, etc. - to be "hubs" for Delta.

ckfred wrote:
Here's why PHL isn't going anywhere in the near future. Twenty years ago, AA have a very robust number of European destinations out of ORD, including the likes of Glasgow, Stockholm, and Zurich. If you go back further, AA flew wot Frankfurt, Munich, and Dusseldorf. All of those flights are gone, too.

ckfred wrote:
As AA takes deliveries of more 787s (although 767s will continue to leave the fleet), it will be interesting to see if AA adds to European flights out of ORD. But, with AA offering flights to European destinations out of PHL that aren't available out of ORD, I don't see PHL going away any time soon.


Agreed. PHL is a great hub - both domestically and internationally - and it's not going anywhere. It will go through some optimization in the context of AA's now-larger network and fleet, including upgauging to more 2-class RJs, resulting decreasing frequency, and the elimination of some shorter stage length regional routes. But overall, I have no doubt that AA is in PHL for the long haul.

As for the 787 and ORD, I agree that it may well open up better opportunities for AA across the Atlantic, although I suspect it will likely come primarily in the form of routes transitioning back to year-round from seasonal. The transatlantic route I would most like to see restored for AA out of ORD is FRA - just because of the size and importance of the market - but that seems very unlikely, even with a 787, given United/Lufthansa hub-hub dominance.

grbauc wrote:
I'm thinking more of WN style mini flow hubs. Smaller for those directional holes where back tracking makes AA noncompetitive.

I wish AA would add to SFO or a small focus city in the PNW. It's so hard to fly up and down the coast on AA metal.


I'd be curious about which directional traffic flows, specifically, require "backtracking" on AA now but could plausibly be better-served by a hypothetical "mini flow hub." Is that referring to north-south along the west coast? If so, I see the point about AA's relative lack of presence, but also recognize that realistically that market is lost to AA at this point - it is simply too competitive with too many entrenched players. I think AA's best bet is focusing on a viable presence in and out of LAX - by far the largest single market on the west coast - and leave the remainder of north-south traffic to Alaska, Delta, Southwest and United.
 
vadodara
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:31 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
The year 2000 called, they want your post for their forum


Sorry, not following you.

jfklganyc wrote:
In 2017, Delta operates a full, banked, throughout-the-day hub at JFK.


Good for them; at one point, they concluded that shutting down both FRA and JFK was prudent. And same about NRT. If they feel starting banks at JFK is justifiable, no issues with me.

DAL would be more believable if they stopped whinning about ME3.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:28 pm

I do wonder whether we would see a third (or 5th, if you want to count DAL and HOU) major hub airport in Texas if Austin and San Antonio combined their airports mid way (such as in San Marcos). The drive time wouldn't be much further than DC to Dulles, and maybe even faster than getting to airports in major metro areas during rush hour if roads and transit were planned right. Certainly could lead to a big increase in destinations...


A combined airport in San Marcos is the only way Central Texas could ever viably support a network carrier hub. Short of that, neither AUS nor SAT on their own is large enough - as a market - to viably serve such a role.

It is intriguing to think about such a prospect - with a single, regional airport serving a combined population approaching four million people, I completely agree that a single, unified airport could be a very, very attractive place for a Delta hub. It would fit well with Delta's recent emphasis on tech industry traffic, it has healthy O&D and plenty of business demand, and while far south for connections in the south-central U.S., it's no further south than IAH and fine for lots of east-west connections. All that said, though - I don't see it happening. I don't see a plausible chance, anytime soon, of AUS and SAT willingly shutting down their airports and building one huge one in between.


Way back when Austin was looking for a new airport (Back when it was Mueller airport in the middle of the city), one of the proposal was actually building a Central Texas regional airport. That got shot down, of course, just b/c nobody in Austin or San Antonio are willing to drive that far just to catch a flight. And that was before Austin and San Antonio Metro Area grew to the size today.

And trust me, if you've ever live in that area, you'll know that I-35 is a giant mess and not fun to drive on.
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:35 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Way back when Austin was looking for a new airport (Back when it was Mueller airport in the middle of the city), one of the proposal was actually building a Central Texas regional airport. That got shot down, of course, just b/c nobody in Austin or San Antonio are willing to drive that far just to catch a flight. And that was before Austin and San Antonio Metro Area grew to the size today.

And trust me, if you've ever live in that area, you'll know that I-35 is a giant mess and not fun to drive on.


Having lived in Austin myself, I totally agree that a combined regional airport is highly unlikely in the foreseeable future. I personally do believe it would potentially facilitate an airport of sufficient scale, serving a combined market of sufficient scale, to support a full-fledged network carrier hub. But that would come at the cost of speed and convenience for travelers from both cities who would pretty much all then have to driver further to get to a nonstop flight. I can easily understand how many frequent AUS/SAT-area travelers rationalize simply connecting through DFW or IAH to reach smaller markets in about the same amount of time it would take to drive to San Marcos.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 pm

commavia wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Way back when Austin was looking for a new airport (Back when it was Mueller airport in the middle of the city), one of the proposal was actually building a Central Texas regional airport. That got shot down, of course, just b/c nobody in Austin or San Antonio are willing to drive that far just to catch a flight. And that was before Austin and San Antonio Metro Area grew to the size today.

And trust me, if you've ever live in that area, you'll know that I-35 is a giant mess and not fun to drive on.


Having lived in Austin myself, I totally agree that a combined regional airport is highly unlikely in the foreseeable future. I personally do believe it would potentially facilitate an airport of sufficient scale, serving a combined market of sufficient scale, to support a full-fledged network carrier hub. But that would come at the cost of speed and convenience for travelers from both cities who would pretty much all then have to driver further to get to a nonstop flight. I can easily understand how many frequent AUS/SAT-area travelers rationalize simply connecting through DFW or IAH to reach smaller markets in about the same amount of time it would take to drive to San Marcos.


The idea *has* been thrown around quite a bit in both cities...but it will likely be a while if it ever does happen.
Last edited by flyfresno on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: US airline hub closures

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm

cvgComair wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
UA cut CLE did not have the O&D to support a hub.

CLE has more O&D than CVG. So does PIT. CLE and PIT are serving more total passengers by a good margin over CVG despite neither being a hub anymore.

The only reason PIT/CLE have more passengers than CVG, is that DL chocked the CVG market. PIT and CLE were both cut quite suddenly and quickly, CVG’s downturn lasted over a decade. However, unlike PIT/CLE where LCC’s rushed in, DL kept up service at CVG. Just three years ago, CVG had 0 LCC’s and AA/UA barely operated anything from CVG. Plus, Southwest only came to CVG a month ago. YOY, CVG’s passenger count is up 13% and up 21% in June alone. It will not be long before CVG is just as big as CLE/PIT.


Wasn't there a period where there were -zero- mainline United flights at CVG?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos