Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanflyer
Topic Author

737s on a train questions

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi!

I recently encountered some 737 bodies on the train from Wichita (I assume correct me if I am wrong) to Seattle to bed fully manufactured. I got a drone video from above, but being an avgeek, I cannot just settle with that. I was wondering if anyone could help identify the exact planes. The construction numbers printed on the side of the planes where 6533, 65334, 65335, and 65336. The only thing I was able to identify was that they are -800 or -8Maxs due to the 4 overawing exacts (and lacking of a behind the wing exit. Also, does anyone know if their is a common route that these bodies usually take to Seattle? I am located just outside omaha, nebraska, and would like to get as many pictures of these planes as possible!

Link to my footage below if that would be of help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7avMBmrK4Q

thanks for all the help!

PlanesNTrains

Re: 737s on a train questions

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Cool drone footage. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

sw733

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Not sure about a common route but I'm in Kansas City and we see them a lot here, meaning at least a decent amount of the time they come NE to Kansas City just to go NW to Seattle.

redcap1962

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Beeing a train & av-geek (in Europe) I think that questions about the route of those trains might better be put an a trainspotters-forum!
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

PlanesNTrains

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Found this from a few years ago: "Wichita-Newton-Lincoln-Laurel(MRL)Missoula(MRL)Sand Point-Spokane-Wenatchee-Seattle/Renton"
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

tomaheath

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 pm

I visited Livingston Montana and they pasted through there. I believe a train derailed there dumping the fuselages into the river.

m007j

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 pm

I've done a little digging on some rail photo databases, which gives me a list of places where the cars can be spotted, and I've overlaid the route onto this map of BNSF's rail lines. BNSF is the company that Boeing uses exclusively to transport their fuselages to Seattle. Overlay is in purple.
If you want to track by subdivision, which is a section of track in a certain geographical area, usually a few 100 miles long each, here is the list if it's too small to be read here.
La Junta-Pueblo-Pike's Peak-Golden-Front Range-Canyon-Casper-Laurel-Great Falls-HiLine-Kootenal River-Columbia River-Scenic

Geographically, the train goes through the following cities: Newton, KS-La Junta, CO-Pueblo, CO-Denver, CO-Cheyenne, WY-Casper, WY-Greybull, WY-Great Falls, MT-Shelby, MT-Kalispell, MT-Spokane, WA-Wenatchee, WA-Everett, WA

Edited to remove reference to a site already referred to above.
Last edited by m007j on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trex8

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 pm

The 738 seems undersized for the cars. Were the cars designed for two 732s??

edit. never mind on the drone video it looks like its a single car each fuselage is on , on other videos its actually two cars (maybe each designed for a 732?)

timz

Re: 737s on a train

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:59 pm

You can't see from above-- it's actually two cars under each fuselage.

So no one knows whether they go via Lincoln or Denver?

m007j

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 pm

trex8 wrote:
The 738 seems undersized for the cars. Were the cars designed for two 732s??

edit. never mind on the drone video it looks like its a single car each fuselage is on , on other videos its actually two cars (maybe each designed for a 732?)

It is on two separate cars, gotta keep separation between couplers otherwise the train would derail, one single flatcar cannot be physically long enough to match what was in the video posted by OP otherwise it would derail on a tight curve. The second car can be used to store other miscellaneous items associated with each fuselage, as you can see in the image below. The containers look the same as the 767 containers BNSF also transports.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 pm

timz wrote:

I think it's quite possible that they go both, depending on the needs of the railroad. If the OP is in the Omaha (Lincoln) area, then obviously sometimes they are going that way. Hopefully he can get a more definitive answer from someone.
-Dave

intotheair

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
timz wrote:

I think it's quite possible that they go both, depending on the needs of the railroad. If the OP is in the Omaha (Lincoln) area, then obviously sometimes they are going that way. Hopefully he can get a more definitive answer from someone.

They certainly must go through both. I have seen them come through Denver with my own eyes many times.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

PlanesNTrains

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 pm

intotheair wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
timz wrote:

They certainly must go through both. I have seen them come through Denver with my own eyes many times.

I think it can depend on how urgently Boeing needs them in Renton as well. They have been known to operate a locomotive pulling just fuselages rather than wait for a scheduled train. If there is trackwork, congestion, freight delays, etc, they might also choose to reroute them.
-Dave

nitepilot79

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 pm

intotheair wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
timz wrote:

Denver, eh? That's awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out.

EarlyLateORD

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 am

The weight is carried on one flatcar while the second car is called an "idler," that simply provides additional spacing.

The most common place to see them is on the Montana Rail Link, largely due to the plethora of rail fans who shoot the scenic ex NP line.

I have heard that there have been issues with the fuselages arriving in Renton with bullet holes in them, presumably by local morons along the route.

Adam

DFWflightpath

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:06 am

EarlyLateORD wrote:

I have heard that there have been issues with the fuselages arriving in Renton with bullet holes in them, presumably by local morons along the route.

Anybody know what Boeing does with bullet-hole fuselages? is it ok to sell patched or repaired frames as new?

planecane

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:27 am

EarlyLateORD wrote:

Adam

While I'm sure this has happened, I doubt it is a frequent occurrence. If it was, you'd think they'd ship with Kevlar blankets draped over them or something like that.

niagara484

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 am

nitepilot79 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Long-time lurker, first time poster!

As both an av-geek and foamer (railfan), this topic is of particular interest to me. I live on the south side of the Denver area not too far from the BNSF Railway/Union Pacific "Joint Line" tracks. The "Boeing train" was a regular fixture here in the mid-late 1990s but since then BNSF has preferred to route the fuselages via Kansas City and Lincoln. On very rare occasions you may see them come through Colorado. A quick Google search on this topic yields a link to a Denver Post article from 2013 about the train appearing in Denver implying this is no longer the regular route.

So to update the map in a previous post, I believe the correct "normal" route is Wichita-Newton-Kansas City-Lincoln-Alliance-Gillette-Laurel (MRL)-Missoula (MRL)-Sandpoint-Spokane-Everett-Seattle-Renton. I've never heard of the fuselages going north through Great Falls to Shelby or Kalispell, MT and then west. However, it's possible the fuselages go Spokane-Pasco-Vancouver (WA) and come up to Seattle and Renton from the south. I'll leave that last bit to the Washington (state) spotters to confirm!

niagara484

HAWKXP

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 am

They sometimes do not route straight north out of Denver. I have seen them NW of Denver; Broomfield heading for Boulder.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:00 am

I remember being in my hotel room in Denver in the fall of 2013, and looked out the window only to be surprised to see a train with about 7 or 8 737 fuselages roll past. This was on the rail line the goes behind the Pepsi Center and near Mile High Stadium. They were heading north, I'd assume that line goes up to Cheyenne, WY.

kanban

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 am

DFWflightpath wrote:
EarlyLateORD wrote:

Anybody know what Boeing does with bullet-hole fuselages? is it ok to sell patched or repaired frames as new?

they are patched and unless you looked inside you'd never guess. the fuselages are all pressure checked before roll out to ensure the patch is good (as well as for other production processes involving skin penetrations)

iahcsr

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:33 am

ryanflyer wrote:
Hi!

I recently encountered some 737 bodies on the train from Wichita (I assume correct me if I am wrong) to Seattle to bed fully manufactured. I got a drone video from above, but being an avgeek, I cannot just settle with that. I was wondering if anyone could help identify the exact planes. The construction numbers printed on the side of the planes where 6533, 65334, 65335, and 65336. The only thing I was able to identify was that they are -800 or -8Maxs due to the 4 overawing exacts (and lacking of a behind the wing exit. Also, does anyone know if their is a common route that these bodies usually take to Seattle? I am located just outside omaha, nebraska, and would like to get as many pictures of these planes as possible!

Link to my footage below if that would be of help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7avMBmrK4Q

thanks for all the help!

The line #s 6533-36 show to be on the Renton FAL but there is no customer info for them just yet.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

wn676

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 am

I caught this train many years ago south of Sandpoint,ID...I believe we were between Cocolalla and Granite. The first photo shows a 757 aft fuselage section and a 737-800. And for you train buffs, it's hard to see but the leader was a BN green SD40 with an SP AC4400 trailing. It was quite the catch. This was in the summer of 2004 IIRC:

There's also a great site maintained by a BNSF engineer who would take these loads over the Bighorn Sub:

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p ... 000514.htm

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p ... 010623.htm

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p ... 10713a.htm
Last edited by wn676 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

twincessna340a

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:45 am

Just noticed while looking through a Google image search there are actually models of these railcars: http://www.protoloads.com/product-categ ... rs/boeing/

I'm not a train guy, but that's pretty cool.

FrmrKSEngr

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 am

The trains run on pre-scouted routes. The scouting involved mock-up rail cars with sticks pointing outwards to ensure that minimum clearances were met through the trip. If a stick broke, minimum clearance was violated. When the -900 was first developed, a new scouting run had to be performed.

On the first -700, the fuselage and car were instrumented to record accelerations that the fuselage experienced during the trip. A couple of Boeing engineers went along for the ride to monitor the instruments. They were accommodated in a salon coach at the back of the train. They said it was a pretty nice trip. It was a dedicated pull, so they were not tied up with other cars, but they did get to spend a few hours in rail yards waiting to be switched.

redzeppelin

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:04 am

tomaheath wrote:
I visited Livingston Montana and they pasted through there. I believe a train derailed there dumping the fuselages into the river.

I lived in Bozeman for several years (until 2015). The 737s were a common sight along the Bozeman/Livingston/Billings route.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:05 am

twincessna340a wrote:
Just noticed while looking through a Google image search there are actually models of these railcars: http://www.protoloads.com/product-categ ... rs/boeing/

I'm not a train guy, but that's pretty cool.

These recently were announced as well:

https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php? ... 7-99301560
-Dave

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:07 am

Well, hopefully the OP can get some more cool drone footage. I've really enjoyed seeing what railfans have been accomplishing with these, and combining it with some fuselages makes it that much better.
-Dave

iamlucky13

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 am

wn676 wrote:
I caught this train many years ago south of Sandpoint,ID...I believe we were between Cocolalla and Granite. The first photo shows a 757 aft fuselage section and a 737-800. And for you train buffs, it's hard to see but the leader was a BN green SD40 with an SP AC4400 trailing. It was quite the catch. This was in the summer of 2004 IIRC

Thanks for the photos. I really miss that BN green. The BNSF scheme isn't bad, but I grew up in a BN area.

intotheair

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 am

niagara484 wrote:
nitepilot79 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Long-time lurker, first time poster!

As both an av-geek and foamer (railfan), this topic is of particular interest to me. I live on the south side of the Denver area not too far from the BNSF Railway/Union Pacific "Joint Line" tracks. The "Boeing train" was a regular fixture here in the mid-late 1990s but since then BNSF has preferred to route the fuselages via Kansas City and Lincoln. On very rare occasions you may see them come through Colorado. A quick Google search on this topic yields a link to a Denver Post article from 2013 about the train appearing in Denver implying this is no longer the regular route.

So to update the map in a previous post, I believe the correct "normal" route is Wichita-Newton-Kansas City-Lincoln-Alliance-Gillette-Laurel (MRL)-Missoula (MRL)-Sandpoint-Spokane-Everett-Seattle-Renton. I've never heard of the fuselages going north through Great Falls to Shelby or Kalispell, MT and then west. However, it's possible the fuselages go Spokane-Pasco-Vancouver (WA) and come up to Seattle and Renton from the south. I'll leave that last bit to the Washington (state) spotters to confirm!

niagara484

Welcome and thanks for sharing! I grew up in Englewood. That timing is probably right, as I feel like it has been a while since I last saw one in Denver. It seems like it's been a few years since I saw some 737 fuselages while driving up Santa Fe Drive. Then again, I no longer live in Colorado, but I do fly up about once a month.

Interesting how av geeks and railfans don't seem to intersect too much. My brother is a big railfan with a particular soft spot for Colorado narrow gauge. I am obviously a big av geek, and while he has enough interest in planes that we can talk about them, he's just not as interested in them as I am. And similarly, while I do like trains, my interest is confined to public rail transit and some very slight knowledge of French rail.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:41 am

Was just reading on a rail forum tonight that since the BNSF derailed a bunch of these fuselages into a river in Montana several years ago, they are now restricted to four per train unless Boeing permits more. Thought that was interesting, and probably means that you have more chances to catch them since they'd be spread across more trains.
-Dave

skywaymanaz

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 am

I've seen them in St. Joseph, Missouri several times. It may not be on the regular route or perhaps the route shifted in the last few years.

cschleic

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:39 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Was just reading on a rail forum tonight that since the BNSF derailed a bunch of these fuselages into a river in Montana several years ago, they are now restricted to four per train unless Boeing permits more. Thought that was interesting, and probably means that you have more chances to catch them since they'd be spread across more trains.

A few links about that event. The photos fall under the "here's something you don't see everyday" category.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayint ... /12258639/

https://trn.trains.com/~/media/images/r ... tana-1.jpg

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... ling-firm/

Sancho99504

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 am

I see them all the time while on US 50 between Garden City, KS and Lamar, CO.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

readytotaxi

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:53 am

I showed the pictures to my 9yr old and you know what he said, "why not put wings on them and fly them there?" Child logic is wonderful. :D
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 am

readytotaxi wrote:
I showed the pictures to my 9yr old and you know what he said, "why not put wings on them and fly them there?" Child logic is wonderful. :D

Great quote. I hope you answered "Unions". Just kidding.

tjh8402

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:39 pm

intotheair wrote:
[

Interesting how av geeks and railfans don't seem to intersect too much. My brother is a big railfan with a particular soft spot for Colorado narrow gauge. I am obviously a big av geek, and while he has enough interest in planes that we can talk about them, he's just not as interested in them as I am. And similarly, while I do like trains, my interest is confined to public rail transit and some very slight knowledge of French rail.

:wave: another railfan checking in. I'm not as into trains as much as planes, and my affection is more for the steam engines. I rode the steam engine that we had here in Orlando for a few years more times than I can count, been out to GSMR for 1702's return, and been fortunate enough to ride 611 3 times (once as a 3 year old in the 80s and twice since her return). However, I'm like your brother in that my favorite is Colorado narrow gauge. I've been out there 3 times to ride the D&SNG and C&TS. I have a G scale model railroad at home that's loosely modeled on the old D&RGW narrow gauge. I need to start coming up with a list of other steamers to cross off so I can experience more. Fortunately for me, my BFF is also a railfan as well as avgeek, so I've had a partner in crime for these exploits.

727tiger

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:13 pm

sw733 wrote:
Not sure about a common route but I'm in Kansas City and we see them a lot here, meaning at least a decent amount of the time they come NE to Kansas City just to go NW to Seattle.

KC here, too. I see them some sitting on a rail line along Broadway Extension headed from/to The Northland. It's an added bonus when I get to see those frames on their way to Renton since I also live on the extended centerline for 9/27 at MCI and get some great spotting in from my back yard.

ikolkyo

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:46 pm

wn676 wrote:
I caught this train many years ago south of Sandpoint,ID...I believe we were between Cocolalla and Granite. The first photo shows a 757 aft fuselage section and a 737-800. And for you train buffs, it's hard to see but the leader was a BN green SD40 with an SP AC4400 trailing. It was quite the catch. This was in the summer of 2004 IIRC:

There's also a great site maintained by a BNSF engineer who would take these loads over the Bighorn Sub:

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p ... 000514.htm

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p ... 010623.htm

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p ... 10713a.htm

Huh, never crossed my mind to think where the 757 fuselage was made, great photos! Also how come early 737s had a silver look to them compared to the green we see now?

iahcsr

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 am

Curious if another trial run test(s) will be needed for the longer 737Max10?
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 am

iahcsr wrote:
Curious if another trial run test(s) will be needed for the longer 737Max10?

Good question. The issue with the -900 was the bridge over the Cedar River in Renton, and they replaced that about 10 years ago. I'm not sure that the relatively small stretch of the MAX 10 will make that much of a difference, but we'll see.
-Dave

admanager

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:34 am

To find out which model 737 you saw, use this site
.https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 7-800?p=91
Registration is free.
As an aside, my apt. overlooks the Renton plant and the rail line going in. BNSF uses 'lightweight" locomotives such as the GP-38, GP-40's and rebuilt GP-30's. I've never seen an SD coming into the plant as my understanding is the rail can't handle the weight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos