Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSG55
Topic Author

LAM Moçambique & Portugal

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53 am

I know that LAM used to fly to Lisbon (among other cities) from Maputo but were then banned from flying into Portugal by the Europeans. Just curious as to why that was if anyone is aware?

Also, does anyone believe there's a chance we may see LAM's metal at Portela again sometime?

chiki

Re: LAM Moçambique & Portugal

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 am

I doubt at all
1. They do not have a widebody in fleet, i know they used to have a 767 not sure of its whereabouts
2. TAP flies regularly to Maputo with a A330 (used to be A340)
3. Now there is Qatar 787, Turkish A330, TAAG (777 not sure if it was one time), also KQ and ET (not sure of onward connection to Portugal)
4. Things are not ok for LAM financially

Based on this i think there are too many options to Portugal that it might not be worth acquiring a WB just for this route

sw733

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am

chiki wrote:
I doubt at all
1. They do not have a widebody in fleet, i know they used to have a 767 not sure of its whereabouts
3. Now there is Qatar 787, Turkish A330, TAAG (777 not sure if it was one time), also KQ and ET (not sure of onward connection to Portugal)
4. Things are not ok for LAM financially

Based on this i think there are too many options to Portugal that it might not be worth acquiring a WB just for this route

TAAG is all 77W to both Lisbon and Porto

grjplanes

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:26 am

Think he's talking about MPM route...have seen 777-200ERs operating LAD-MPM a few times...maybe due to demand, as TAAG is to increase the route to 3 weekly later in the year.

eamondzhang

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 am

chiki wrote:

Still flying A340s three times a week as I'm typing this.

chiki

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 am

eamondzhang wrote:
chiki wrote:

Still flying A340s three times a week as I'm typing this.

Ok have seen the A330 lately, so was temporary. How are the loads on these trips.

rukundo

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:09 am

PSG55 wrote:
I know that LAM used to fly to Lisbon (among other cities) from Maputo but were then banned from flying into Portugal by the Europeans. Just curious as to why that was if anyone is aware?

Also, does anyone believe there's a chance we may see LAM's metal at Portela again sometime?

If i m not a mistake, they were banned first, in 2005, when UE started to use Airline blackist, mainly due Flash Airlines crash in 2004, and West Carribean and Helios crash in 2005. But only France banned LAM, then followed by all UE countries. Then they were removed, before to be again put on the blacklist, in 2011-2012.

Air Austral planned to start a St. Denis de la Réunion-Maputo-Lisbon, with its B787s. LAM has a code share agreement with Ewa Air (Air Austral is the Parent company)

In the past, South African Airways (B747SP), Air Seychelles (B767) and EuroAtlantic have operated flights for LAM, between Maputo and Lisbon

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos