Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

whatThe
Topic Author

MH Update: A380 Hajj, expansion plans

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:02 am

Bloomberg carried a story about Malaysia Airlines upcoming plans. Of note:

Bellew had said planes used for the Hajj would accommodate as many as 700 people in a single class -- modified from their current 494-seat layout with Malaysia Airlines' -- the densest configuration of any superjumbo.

Bellew also noted intense local competition, but strong international trends in China, India, Japan and Taiwan.

The company should be cash-positive in the second half of 2018, he said. Forward bookings from the international segment continue to be strong while those for domestic flights are slightly lower from a year ago because of intense competition, said Bellew.

The airline is focusing on business class and premium cabins as well as transporting passengers from other carriers to increase revenue, the executive said. China, India, Japan and Taiwan are its growth markets, and the airline will add more routes to these destinations over the next few years, he said.

The carrier needs six more aircraft next year and a similar number in 2019 to serve its busiest routes across Asia, Bellew said. Malaysia Airlines is studying leasing options and new purchases and will wait for a “good price” since it isn’t in a hurry, he said.

Slug71

Re: MH Update: A380 Hajj, expansion plans

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 am

I posted this article in a couple of different threads a couple of months ago.
MH boss man had good things to say about the A380 and certainly seem to be very confident about this project.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... uperjumbo/

Lease from Amadeo?

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:19 am

Slug71 wrote:
I posted this article in a couple of different threads a couple of months ago.
MH boss man had good things to say about the A380 and certainly seem to be very confident about this project.

Lease from Amadeo?

Not in the near future. And I'm not surprised he's confident about the project. He can basically ask the Malaysian government entity in charge of the Hajj movement of Malaysian pilgrims to lock in the flight arrangements with MH & not have AirAsia or Malindo or any other charter airline poke their heads to grab a portion of the pie.

I do wish they start ordering the A330 replacement already. I get it that the widebody market's currently a buyer's market but how long must we wait for the price to be right?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Sydscott

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:02 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I do wish they start ordering the A330 replacement already. I get it that the widebody market's currently a buyer's market but how long must we wait for the price to be right?

The oldest MH A330 is a 2011 Model while the youngest was delivered January 2014. So there is no need to replace such new aircraft which is why MH isn't in a hurry to replace them.

A330

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:40 am

The A380 is NOT allowed to land in JED, and this will not change in the short term.
As long as the Whale can not go to JED, this whole operation is doomed as Hadjj and Umrah pilgrims return home from JED airport ( and not from MED where they arrive)

The B747-8 is much more suitable for this kind of operation by the way. A380 is far too restricted on which airports she can operate from/to . A fact that AAI has recognized.
Shiek!

Eyad89

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:50 am

A330 wrote:
The A380 is NOT allowed to land in JED, and this will not change in the short term.
As long as the Whale can not go to JED, this whole operation is doomed as Hadjj and Umrah pilgrims return home from JED airport ( and not from MED where they arrive)

The B747-8 is much more suitable for this kind of operation by the way. A380 is far too restricted on which airports she can operate from/to . A fact that AAI has recognized.

Not correct anymore. EK is flying A380 three times daily to JED. JED stopped all A380 flights for a duration of 10 months to run maintenance work. Now you could check that all EK flights to JED are operated by A380 (starting on the 23rd of July).

KarelXWB

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:58 am

A330 wrote:
The A380 is NOT allowed to land in JED.

So what about this: https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... 15-minutes
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Slug71

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 am

Sydscott wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

The oldest MH A330 is a 2011 Model while the youngest was delivered January 2014. So there is no need to replace such new aircraft which is why MH isn't in a hurry to replace them.

They should be getting their 1st of 6 A350s at the end of this year too.

Arion640

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 am

A330 wrote:

As if MH are going to order more VLA's and cost and expensive while they have many surplus to requirement now.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:23 am

A330 wrote:

MH had A380 flights to JED previously so I'm not sure why it is not allowed to land now?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Boeingphan

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Bellew had said planes used for the Hajj would accommodate as many as 700 people in a single class -- modified from their current 494-seat layout with Malaysia Airlines' -- the densest configuration of any superjumbo.

I'm curious if the restrooms on board are adequate to handle 700 passengers. Do they reconfigure the restrooms or are they supposed to support this many folks? On top of it (without being racist) won't their restroom etiquette over work the plumbing? Again not trying to be disparaging but more curious.

NZ321

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:51 pm

I don't see all 6 going Haj. That's way more than they need year-round. Unless they are planning to charter them to other Islamic countries. I smell a hybrid solution or a renewed effort to quit the lot to BA for the right deal :) With MH on the up now we may see another change in strategy.
Plane mad!

r2rho

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:29 am

Interesting. This is now the 2nd CEO (after Tim Clark) stating that airlines have "missed the point" of the A380, are missing opportunities and artificially restricting its usefulness by running far too premium cabins. A theory which I agree with.

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 am

The A3XX project was all about packing 'em in... so then I never understood why *all* airlines used the A380 in low density configurations instead.

For SQ et. al. the first aircraft were about prestige - I get that (like the piano bar in the early 747s) - but it mystified me that no-one subsequently went high-density. Air Caraïbes was going to do it but got cold feet... so we never got to see the A380 in the proper people-mover mode it was actually designed for.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

SQ22

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:48 am

There was a thread on the A350 route planning not too long ago. In case you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1368991

scouseflyer

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:58 am

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
The A3XX project was all about packing 'em in... so then I never understood why *all* airlines used the A380 in low density configurations instead.

For SQ et. al. the first aircraft were about prestige - I get that (like the piano bar in the early 747s) - but it mystified me that no-one subsequently went high-density. Air Caraïbes was going to do it but got cold feet... so we never got to see the A380 in the proper people-mover mode it was actually designed for.

That's what Skmark was trying to do but they went belly up as they expended too fast so we'll never know on that one

readytotaxi

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:19 am

Boeingphan wrote:

I'm curious if the restrooms on board are adequate to handle 700 passengers. Do they reconfigure the restrooms or are they supposed to support this many folks? On top of it (without being racist) won't their restroom etiquette over work the plumbing? Again not trying to be disparaging but more curious.

And what about the galley space? 200 extra mouths and no room for more storage because the extra seats, does seem odd, unless they are not feeding the Hajj flights.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Polot

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 am

scouseflyer wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

That's what Skmark was trying to do but they went belly up as they expended too fast so we'll never know on that one

No, that would have actually made a little sense. Skymark was going to heavy premium with the A380 and have J/Y+ only with 394 total seats. The A330s were their first step towards premium (partially at the insistence of Airbus, who was nervous about Skymark jumping straight to the A380) being Y+ 7 abreast across the entire cabin.

Didn't make sense then, still doesn't make sense now.
Last edited by Polot on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PHBVF

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 am

Polot wrote:
scouseflyer wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

No, that would have actually made a little sense. Skymark was going to heavy premium with the A380 and have J/Y+ only. The A330s were their first step towards premium (partially at the insistence of Airbus, who was nervous about Skymark jumping straight to the A380) being Y+ 7 abreast across the entire cabin.

It was Air Austral (French Indian Ocean airline) that ordered two for a high density aircraft:
Licensed 777/787 driver

flee

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Boeingphan wrote:

And what about the galley space? 200 extra mouths and no room for more storage because the extra seats, does seem odd, unless they are not feeding the Hajj flights.
The cabin mods are conducted in consultation with Airbus - so I am sure that they considered all the factors to turn the scheduled passenger airliner into a charter ops one.

scouseflyer

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 pm

PHBVF wrote:
Polot wrote:
scouseflyer wrote:

No, that would have actually made a little sense. Skymark was going to heavy premium with the A380 and have J/Y+ only. The A330s were their first step towards premium (partially at the insistence of Airbus, who was nervous about Skymark jumping straight to the A380) being Y+ 7 abreast across the entire cabin.

It was Air Austral (French Indian Ocean airline) that ordered two for a high density aircraft:

oops my bad :)

SomebodyInTLS

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:28 pm

scouseflyer wrote:
PHBVF wrote:

oops my bad :)

Actually I think it was my bad - think he was talking about the fact I said Air Caraïbes was going to take A380s when he's correct that I meant Air Austral
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

qf789

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:02 am

Update on MH A350's

Unlikely a second route to Europe will happen
Number 5 & 6 will likely deployed in Asia, AKL is still being explored however EK/QR have eroded yields, could end up on routes such as PVG/NRT
Routes should be finalised by September

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... 50-flights
Forum Moderator

NZ321

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:34 am

EK and QR might have eroded yields into and out of AKL to London but a new aircraft and better product might attract more passengers and more transfer passengers to Asia. Frankly, the whole SQ/MI arrangement in SIN which feeds many smaller Asian destinations is far less than ideal. When you transfer, if you are on MI metal you can't use the STAR gold lounge at Changi. Your ticket may say SQ flight number but you will be issued with a MI boarding pass and that's that. MH could compete more aggressively with SQ in that market. Offering seamless product / transfers. KUL is an easy airport to transfer at.
Plane mad!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos