Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DariusBieber
Topic Author

What happens to these Delta flights?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Delta flight 88 is both a domestic flight from Fort Myers to Atlanta, then 50 minutes after the scheduled arrival time it becomes (with different equipment and crew) an international flight from Atlanta to Duesseldorf.

What happens if the original Flight 88 is experiencing delays from Fort Myers and is still in the air when the flight to Duesseldorf is expected to depart? Does the flight to DUS become delayed until the Fort Myers flight is parked at the gate? Or will it continue as a different flight number?

Or is DL 88 "Heavy" (since ATL-DUS is a B764) a different callsign than just DL 88?
Aerospace Engineering student

jasoncrh

Re: What happens to these Delta flights?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm

the flight to Dusseldorf will depart. It will not wait until the flight from RSW lands in Atlanta.

DariusBieber
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
the flight to Dusseldorf will depart. It will not wait until the flight from RSW lands in Atlanta.

Ah. I wasn't sure if it was allowed to have two same call signs in the air at the same time.
Aerospace Engineering student

wn676

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 pm

DariusBieber wrote:
Delta flight 88 is both a domestic flight from Fort Myers to Atlanta, then 50 minutes after the scheduled arrival time it becomes (with different equipment and crew) an international flight from Atlanta to Duesseldorf.

What happens if the original Flight 88 is experiencing delays from Fort Myers and is still in the air when the flight to Duesseldorf is expected to depart? Does the flight to DUS become delayed until the Fort Myers flight is parked at the gate? Or will it continue as a different flight number?

Or is DL 88 "Heavy" (since ATL-DUS is a B764) a different callsign than just DL 88?

In this example the second segment would become something like DAL88P. It's common for broken through-flights like this to have a letter suffix added to their callsign.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

MakeMinesLAX

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm

A few years back, I was on a similar flight to IAD which was delayed and the European "continuation" was not held. This was on United, and I heard on Channel 9 that our callsign was the original flight number with an added letter at the end.

ryan78

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 pm

The call-signs will get amended. It happens more than you think as there are only a finite amount of 4 digit flight numbers. In this case RSW-ATL will stay DL88 and the ATL-DUS will become DL88A (or B,C etc, whatever letter they decide on.) I remember many years ago, Thomas Cook UK used to use a lot of abbreviated call-signs, most ending in K, not sure if they still do or not.

panamair

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't think I have ever seen Delta use letter suffixes for these kind of flights..they usually take on a 9000+ flight number, like DL9908 for the ATL-DUS DL088 flight...

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 pm

You wouldnt see it. It is an ATC thing

Happens all the time to all airlines. Pax would notice no difference.

airzona11

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Very interesting. Always wondered how that was handled.

atcsundevil

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 pm

DariusBieber wrote:
Ah. I wasn't sure if it was allowed to have two same call signs in the air at the same time.

As mentioned, several airlines use this practice. Call signs have to be unique in the National Airspace System, so there simply can't be two DAL88s with active IFR flight plans. The continuation would likely operate as DAL88(random letter). It's more common with international carriers, but I see it with UAL and DAL frequently. The passengers would never know, it would still display the same at the airport, but all ATC communications would be as DAL88T, for example. I believe FR24 will display the true callsign as well, so it'll show DAL88/DAL88T.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos