nitepilot79
Topic Author

30 Year Old 777 Captain Says She's The Youngest

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 pm

That she is actually the youngest female 777 captain hasn't officially been confirmed, but goddamn, she gets my vote:

http://www.businessinsider.com/anny-div ... 777-2017-7

Article quote:

"Indian pilot Anny Divya claims to have become the youngest woman in the world to captain a Boeing 777. The 30-year-old's achievement has been widely reported in India, where she flies for commercial airline Air India."

kaitak

Re: 30 Year Old 777 Captain Says She's The Youngest

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Good for her! I can't imagine there being any younger. I'd say the average age of 777 captains in US majors is in the 50-55 bracket. She has a long time left in her career, so good luck to her!

Osiris

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Woooo GO WOMEN!

tkoenig95

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Osiris wrote:
Woooo GO WOMEN!

Awesome news! a new wave of captains to come!

akelley728

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Wow! Great role model for young people pursuing pilot careers, men and women alike!

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Too bad she isn't here in the US, we need more younger blood to weed out these mid-age union loyalists.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

SonomaFlyer

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Too bad she isn't here in the US, we need more younger blood to weed out these mid-age union loyalists.

What does middle age or belonging to a union have to do with anything in the cited article?

You aren't weeding out anyone sir. The men and women currently flying earned their way to their seat and there is no reason they should be "weeded out."

If you want "younger blood" at the controls, you need to fix the system in the U.S. currently in place. That system along with the decline in U.S. military pilots transitioning to the airlines are the reasons we are in the current climate.

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:04 pm

akelley728 wrote:
Wow! Great role model for young people pursuing pilot careers, men and women alike!

Very true, good luck to her. As long as the person infront of me is qualified I don't really mind what gender they are.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

MiddleEastMike

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Wonder if she's paid the same as a typical male at her current point in her career.

I'd wager money she isn't.

But well done on her, more are needed!
International Man of Mystery

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:23 pm

The issue isn't her age or gender, though the politically correct group like to make it so, rather the experience and knowledge she brings to the position. If she is a good pilot then great for her; if she is not she should be gone.

Varsity1

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

What does middle age or belonging to a union have to do with anything in the cited article?

You aren't weeding out anyone sir. The men and women currently flying earned their way to their seat and there is no reason they should be "weeded out."

If you want "younger blood" at the controls, you need to fix the system in the U.S. currently in place. That system along with the decline in U.S. military pilots transitioning to the airlines are the reasons we are in the current climate.

What is wrong with the current climate in the US? We are seeing the first major hiring in two decades. Is that the problem? Should we hire a bunch of 250 hour zeros to fly around our families like these airlines in India?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Varsity1

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 pm

MiddleEastMike wrote:
Wonder if she's paid the same as a typical male at her current point in her career.

What a poorly informed comment.

Pilots are paid based on years of seniority and equipment. That is all.

A year 5 777 captain gets year 5 CA rates.

Take your social justice warrior ignorance elsewhere.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

fastmover

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 pm

[*]
Super80Fan wrote:

Because it's not like they haven't worked hard to get where they are. The airline industry has finally turned around after about 10 years of career loss and this is what you have to say?

Good for her, but it has nothing to do with a union or being middle age.

seatback

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 pm

727200 wrote:
The issue isn't her age or gender, though the politically correct group like to make it so, rather the experience and knowledge she brings to the position. If she is a good pilot then great for her; if she is not she should be gone.

This shouldn't be allowed and I wonder if she'd be able to do this in the US>

Male or female, I don't care. What I do care about is experience. In an emergency situation, what often sets apart tragedy from near-tragedy is the experience of the flight crew. Bottom line is that she's too young and doesn't have enough experience, no matter how good of a pilot she is.

I'll take a 50 year old captain with 30 years of flying under (his or her) belt way before I take one who has 11 years. Any day.

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

What is wrong with the current climate in the US? We are seeing the first major hiring in two decades. Is that the problem? Should we hire a bunch of 250 hour zeros to fly around our families like these airlines in India?

Pilot job market: There's a massive shortage of pilots on the horizon.

Congress and ALPA: Let's jack the pay up for our current pilots by tripling the minimum amount of hours you need to be a pilot and let those penny-less Millennials sort it out for themselves to be pilots and to fix our mess while having the smaller part 121 and regionals go into an operational mess because they can't retain or hire in any pilots with these new wages.

Me to my grandkids: And that's how a 24 year old me got screwed of chasing his dreams, because he wasn't related to a Senator or a millionaire.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:11 pm

seatback wrote:
727200 wrote:

Male or female, I don't care. What I do care about is experience. In an emergency situation, what often sets apart tragedy from near-tragedy is the experience of the flight crew. Bottom line is that she's too young and doesn't have enough experience, no matter how good of a pilot she is.

I'll take a 50 year old captain with 30 years of flying under (his or her) belt way before I take one who has 11 years. Any day.

In those 11 years, you have pretty much faced the same challenges as you would in 30 years, there's a finite amount of issues you can face where your experience would be a deciding factor.

What I'm saying is there's a point where seniority doesn't an experience anymore. Asiana in SFO and the AC incident a few weeks ago are prime examples. And experience also had nothing to do with the Colgan crash in Buffalo.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FlyHossD

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

How would her presence in the USA change the unions?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

It is a lot more difficult for a woman to pursue a pilot career in the west, unless she wants to sacrifice family, mainly having and raising kids. In India combined/extended families play a major role in raising kids, no need to totally depend on nannies.

Market conditions mainly poaching by ME3 forced Indian carriers to hire more women pilots, some are reaching 15% mark of the total flight crew strength.

smokeybandit

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 am

Is she qualified? Yes? OK then.

I couldn't care less if the person flying is male or female. No one else should either.

lebda

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 am

That's really cool! But wow, some of these comments here. And you wonder why there are so few women who want to be involved in aviation...
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.

BawliBooch

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:23 am

MiddleEastMike wrote:

Not sure about how these things work in the US.

But for pilots in India, payment is directly linked to aircraft you fly and the experience bracket.

The gender inequality here usually plays out in women usually not getting the first choice of career upgrade as compared to their male counterparts. Like being stuck on domestic A320's for ever while they see their male colleagues go from the right seat of the A320 to 787's!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

trnswrld

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 am

Congrats and nice work to this pilot. For me personally, I would feel a bit more comfortable having a more experienced captain up front.

ZKNCL

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 am

MiddleEastMike wrote:

If women are so much cheaper to pay then why don't all airlines have more female pilots? The less expenses the better after all.

barney captain

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 am

There was a Captain on the 747 for UPS who was in his 20's.

I wonder why that didn't make the news? (Rhetorical).
Southeast Of Disorder

VolvoBus

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:49 am

What surprises me is that in a company shrinking its workforce, and with no major increase in fleet size, 11 years is sufficient seniority to hold a widebody captains seat. They must have got rid of a hell of a lot of senior captains.

sgbroimp

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Experience in today's aviation world is a funny thing. The day to day experience is watching flight instruments show that all is working as it should be, thanks to today's incredible reliability. All the pilots get sim work of course which is where they get the engine outs and other anomalies thrown at them. My sense is that in an emergency a lot of other factors besides experience will come in to play, such as the ability to keep a cool head, analyse a new situation, think quickly, make sound deductions, work well with a partner (right seat guy) and perhaps the cabin crew. To buttress this argument, some years back several very high hour 747 guys (I believe it was) were asked to take part in some sim work without being told what was going to be thrown at them, i.e. not the standard sim re-qualification protocol they all get. The results were not very good, with a number of the candidates not taking the right steps at all. Having said all that, my wife always likes to see a gray haired person (man or woman) in the "front office" when we fly.

BravoOne

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm

I have watched from fairly close up in recent years and have met many of their flight crew. Some of the stuff is beyond belief like the AI Captain, very young who was the son of another AI Capt. who posed as a Pakistani and flew for them (PI) for number of years undetected finally coming back over to AI to fly without proper lisc. If you are an AI crew yourself, I know you would be familiar with the story. If not then your obviously not aware of some of the short comping of this operation. Nice people but some strange work habits from within. I am not an AI basher so get over that idea.

robsaw

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Is she qualified? Yes? OK then.

I couldn't care less if the person flying is male or female. No one else should either.

When gender discrimination is non-existent worldwide then your statement is valid; that it doesn't matter to you personally is a drop in the proverbial bucket. If no one else cares where it IS a problem then circumstances won't change.

Planetalk

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 pm

seatback wrote:
727200 wrote:

Do you check the age of your crew before every flight you get on? You must have had to deboard yourself a few times...

pvjin

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 pm

seatback wrote:
727200 wrote:

Yeah right. Experience doesn't necessary mean good piloting skills, plenty of accidents have seen very experienced pilots doing stupid mistakes. One of the causes behind world's worst air disaster at Tenerife was a very experienced pilot taking off without a clearance. Similarly some years ago an A321 was flown into a mountain by another experienced pilot (ex PIA 747 captain) who despite this experience showed very poor CRM skills, bad attitude and plain incompetence at basic flying.

I would prefer a junior captain with good training any day over a senior one with not so good training. That's what truly makes the difference.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

777PHX

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 pm

seatback wrote:

There's plenty of pilots that are not any older than 25 flying right seat on 737s and A320s in Europe every day and I don't see them falling out of the skies. Hell, even here in the US, RJs are often flown by younger folk. I know of at least one legacy and a certain domicile where rather junior FOs can get right seat in the 767.

VCEflyboy

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Is this even true? CX has tons of 777 pilots in their 20s. And female too. Not sure their captain but still.

QXAS

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 am

ZKNCL wrote:
MiddleEastMike wrote:

If women are so much cheaper to pay then why don't all airlines have more female pilots? The less expenses the better after all.

Remind me when I create a start up to be more economical and hire only women. :duck:

Good for her, as long as the pilot meets all necessary requirements and is well trained, age is just a number, and gender, doesn't matter. This is An amazing milestone to hit at age 30.

I can't imagine being in any seat right or left of a 777 when I'm 30. Of course from the back seat of a PA-18 and left seat of a 172, the left seat of a 777 seems pretty far away.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

Amsterdam

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Looking at many accidents, old really experienced captains have made huge mistakes.

Amsterdam

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:44 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Is this even true? CX has tons of 777 pilots in their 20s. And female too. Not sure their captain but still.

The topic is about captaincy, not pilots on the 777. KLM has 20 year old second officers on the 777.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:21 pm

I didn't express any opinion, you kept on writing post after post even though no one bothered to respond.

She is the youngest captain as of today. Some day some other women would be the youngest. What is the source of your heartburn?

In 1990 AI's Nivedita Bhasin became the youngest Boeing B737 captain at 26. She is now B787 Captain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nivedita_Bhasin

Today Kate McWilliams of Easyjet is the youngest captain of B737 at 26.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... mcwilliams

In November 2015, Lozano accomplished what she set out to do she became Avianca Airlines youngest pilot captain at age 27.
https://america.cgtn.com/2016/06/20/fem ... an-airline

Meanwhile, EK's PR at work to attract women pilots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-ujzU6vSc

BawliBooch

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
I didn't express any opinion, you kept on writing post after post even though no one bothered to respond.

She is the youngest captain as of today. Some day some other women would be the youngest. What is the source of your heartburn?

India has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to gender equality. But when it comes to aviation, Indian women lead the rest of the world.

Capt (Mrs) Prem Mathur was flying revenue passengers commercially for Deccan Airways in the 40's (admittedly just Avro Ansons and later DC3's) 8 years before any other lady pilot in the world would do so. Mrs. Durba Bannerjee was flying DC3's commercial in 1953 and made commercial captain (ok just Avro HS748's) for Indian Airlines 4 years before anyone in the rest of the world got there. And in 12 years she was commanding A300 widebodies - again a first.

Then there is Nivedita Bhasin (first Commercial Jet commander) who led the first all-woman crew flight from CCU-IXA-GAU on a F27 and later on a 737-200 back in the 80's. She is a 787 commander in the merged Air India now if i am not mistaken. Her daughter just barely lost the race to become the youngest 777 captain if i am not mistaken. She will be in the next 2 months!

Give credit where its due people.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

dtw2hyd

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:05 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
...Give credit where its due people.

Brand image management contract doesn't permit any AI +ve news anywhere on the internet. Throw tantrum and get the thread closed, pronto.

TVNWZ

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm

trnswrld wrote:
Congrats and nice work to this pilot. For me personally, I would feel a bit more comfortable having a more experienced captain up front.

You do not have the slightest idea of how experienced the pilot is upfront. And even if that pilot is 20 years experienced, he had his first day in the job like every pilot does. Everyone was a rookie at one time with little experience.

747megatop

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Should we hire a bunch of 250 hour zeros to fly around our families like these airlines in India?

A few points
1) All the pilots hired here don't come factory made with loads of experience.
2) What's the problem in hiring a well qualified person if that person has passed all the stringent requirements?
3) I would be worried more about airlines hiring suicidal pilots like the German pilot who took so many families with him OR an ill qualified pilot like
the Asia Airlines pilot in SFO could not do a manual landing.

But yes, more the experience the better; i am not disagreeing with that. But, let's not just generalize without any substantiating facts.

SATexan

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:14 am

Even third rate companies across the globe can have competent and exceptional employees. So referring to Air India to somehow undermine this Captain's achievements is utter rubbish. A community of aviation enthusiasts like A.net should encourage such positive developments in Civil Aviation regardless of what country or airline it comes from.

andrefranca

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 pm

seatback wrote:
727200 wrote:

It also depends on the mental status and personality, and if the captain was having a bad day or found out he was being cheated by his wife? THERE'S NO 30 years of experience to save you! that's the rumour why VASP crashed against the hills in FOR many years ago... Pilot error, controlled flight into terrain.... I'm pretty sure it wasn't his first time flying to FOR
Andre F. :blockhead:

qf789

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:58 pm

As the thread has drifted off topic and some users have not been civil with each other the thread will be locked
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos