Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Supposed UA pax films bags being thrown from the belly of a UA flight

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Link/Source: http://www.boredpanda.com/united-airlin ... age-video/

"You know how sometimes people call airport baggage handlers ‘throwers’? Well, this video proves that that’s exactly what they deserve to be called."

"
‘Thanks United [Airlines]’ reveals how peoples’ luggage is literally thrown around when being transferred off the airplane."

Don't people have lives to live, and can't just put down their cell phones .....

pksundevil

Re: Supposed UA pax films bags being thrown from the belly of a UA flight

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 pm

You would prefer employee misconduct not be caught on film? Not saying it's 100% clear that the employee did anything wrong, but you're blaming the person with the phone?

Judge1310

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Something is not right about that video...as in, where is the actual belt-loader? Unless this airport has some special-made levitating off-loading device, I remain sceptical at this point...

Revo1059

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm

I've seen bags fall off the top of a belt loader many times, mostly when unloading bulk. One gets turned, jams gainst the guard rail if it's up and the one behind it slides off. I can remember many bags taking the plunge from bulk off of an MU MD-11 at ORD back in the day.

However the video is strange in the fact that it looks like 1/2 the belt loader is missing.

Jayafe

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:39 pm

hayzel777

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Where is the bottom of the belt loader? I have never seen a belt loader that look anything like that!

wn676

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47 pm

It's a jebridge belt (not sure of the actual term, I've only just started seeing them installed). It's like using a beltloader positioned up against the cab landing, except the belt is attached to the PBB. It rotates upwards to stow vertically. These are gate checked bags being sent/thrown down.

lavalampluva

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:48 pm

You're lucky you're not flying to the Caribbean/South America. You're lucky if your luggage doesn't hit the cement. :lol:

OA940

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm

That is a gif...

AAlaxfan

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

At which station does United have Mercedes Benz SUV's? This video/GIF just seems fishy to me.

Tailwinds

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

wn676 wrote:
It's a jebridge belt (not sure of the actual term, I've only just started seeing them installed). It's like using a beltloader positioned up against the cab landing, except the belt is attached to the PBB. It rotates upwards to stow vertically. These are gate checked bags being sent/thrown down.

Exactly. These are really common at the regional gates in ORD to take gate-checked bags down to ramp level, rather than handing them down or walking them down the stairs. Typically you have someone on the bottom receiving them and loading them on to a baggage cart. Pretty sloppy and careless use here, which, if this is E/F at ORD, is par for the course.

Super80Fan

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
Link/Source: http://www.boredpanda.com/united-airlin ... age-video/

"You know how sometimes people call airport baggage handlers ‘throwers’? Well, this video proves that that’s exactly what they deserve to be called."

"
‘Thanks United [Airlines]’ reveals how peoples’ luggage is literally thrown around when being transferred off the airplane."

Don't people have lives to live, and can't just put down their cell phones .....

Yep, got to blame everything in life on the person snapping the photo/video.

hOMSaR

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:41 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
At which station does United have Mercedes Benz SUV's? This video/GIF just seems fishy to me.

I think those are used at some hubs to take certain Global Services passengers to their planes from the lounge, so they don't have to walk through the concourse.

Rdh3e

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
I think those are used at some hubs to take certain Global Services passengers to their planes from the lounge, so they don't have to walk through the concourse.

Primarily for when GS passengers have tight connections they just drive them from planeside to planeside. Not really a lounge thing at all. They are at most if not all the hubs now.

gatibosgru

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

LOL.

How about the airline and its employees take care of my bag instead? I think the lesser of 2 evils is pretty clear. Maybe you should analyze your priorities.

GVIIO

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 pm

I work this job and ive witnessed bags falling 20 or so feet off a K loader hooked on to a 777, accidents do happen. PAX love to overexagerate deliberate baggage mishandling and or damage. A word of advice from me, make sure your bag is strong and avoid duffle bags I cant tell you how many times ive seen them bust open and the contents scattered all across the inside of a ULD

UARNO88

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Something looks fishy here. First off, is this some new floating belt loader? Where are the rear wheels? Second, if this is the front bin that is being unloaded, where is the engine? Where is the wing? Third, how come the building in the background is so close to the back of the airplane? Lastly, if this is taken by a passenger, how did they get on the ramp to capture that view?

ordramper98

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 pm

As others have said this is a belt attached to the side of a passenger loading bridge at O'hare. It is used to get carry on bags that are gate checked to and from the ramp. In this case the bags are going down the belt, to be placed into that cart, then moved to the cargo pit. The belt has an electric eye on the bottom that is supposed to stop the belt when a bag gets to the bottom. In this case the bottom bag that fell off either: 1.slid off the belt as it was stopping, and then the belt started again after it cleared the electric eye, or 2. The electric eye wasn't working. I cant tell exactly from the video. I have no idea why the second bag fell off. I can tell you that most people wouldn't throw a bag off a loading bridge straight to the ground.
There was a video on a-net about 7 or 8 years ago of an airline that was dropping bags off of the jet bridge onto a small cart. I cant remember what airline it was (It wasn't UA), I do remember it was a widebody and it appeared to be a 15 foot drop.

Revo1059

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Huh, I spent all my years over at T5 so I never saw the jetway belt loaders. Interesting.

exunited

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm sure no other airline had a bag accidentally fall from a belt loader. Thanks for sharing a click bait article. Perhaps if the video showed an actual person tossing a bag from the airplane it might have more impact.

RDUDDJI

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:15 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:

Yeah DL does the same for Diamond Medallions with Porsche SUVs.

CO953

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:37 pm

LOL I'll bet that's the same Continental Airlines baggage handler I saw through the terminal window going for the gold medal in the shotput event with my acoustic guitar back about '99 or so. He got some serious horizontal and vertical distance throwing it out of the airplane onto the tarmac. Being so young and full of pi$$ and vinegar and valuing my instrument, I went Code Red - chewed the gate agent ragged, called a supervisor, didn't like what I heard, went off on the supervisor, finally opened the emergency exit terminal door screaming bloody murder at the guy out on the ramp and basically caused chaos in the gate area yelling at everyone with a Continental badge until I almost missed my connection. That was back before 9/11, of course, or I'd have been in cuffs. My guitar case is still cracked. Nowadays I know the stock answer: "Luggage and guitar cases are there to take the beating, so the damage is normal and expected."

Turns out I picked a good case because many years later I ran the neck end over with a Town Car and the guitar stayed in tune. :slaphappy:

n729pa

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Did they punch the bag before throwing it off the plane?

I mean United Airlines only have to cough these days and they get criticised.

ckfred

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:53 pm

A lot of jet bridges have a chute. I've seen such on AA jet bridges at many airports. I know that ORD has baggage elevators on H and K, for bags, baby strollers, and such that are gate checked.

But, let me tell you about something I saw about 20 years ago. A baggage cart pulled up to a UA 737 and set a pet carrier on the ramp. The baggage loader had already been pulled away, but the forward cargo hatch was still open. A baggage handler tried to pick up the carrier and lift it over his head to put into the hold. He almost fell over backwards, and I'm sure the dog or cat inside got jostled around.

Another handler hopped onto a loader and drove it up to the forward hatch, and the carrier was then placed on the loader and put into the hold.

Besides the fact that the handler could have really hurt himself, the pet in the carrier could have also been badly hurt. My guess is the handler thought the carrier and pet weren't that heavy and thought he could get the carrier loaded without putting a loader bag in place.

coolian2

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:11 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:

Spot the airline employee.

exFWAOONW

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:47 pm

ckfred wrote:

Besides the fact that the handler could have really hurt himself, the pet in the carrier could have also been badly hurt. My guess is the handler thought the carrier and pet weren't that heavy and thought he could get the carrier loaded without putting a loader bag in place.
Having been in similar situations, my guess would be the animal moved, shifting the center of gravity of the kennel too quickly for the employee to compensate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos