badgervor
Topic Author

Maho beach-goer tries to hit plane with ball

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 pm

JAAlbert

Re: Maho beach-goer tries to hit plane with ball

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:13 pm

The quickest way to get that beach shut down for everyone.

BoeingGuy

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Was this idiot arrested? He should have been.

ASFlyer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Time to shut it down. This is only going to get worse - and an engine ingesting a ball could have been a disaster on landing.

USAirKid

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 pm

This seems like it should be a non-issue. If an airplane can fly through a 15 pound turkey, a half pound beachball should be a piece of cake.

Sure not smart, but if anything its a safety issue for the guy who threw the ball throwing his arm out!

ACDC8

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 pm

USAirKid wrote:
This seems like it should be a non-issue. If an airplane can fly through a 15 pound turkey, a half pound beachball should be a piece of cake.

Sure not smart, but if anything its a safety issue for the guy who threw the ball throwing his arm out!

Non-issue? Seriously?

Lets just throw things at planes. Its OK, it was just a "small" object.

Regardless, I have a feeling this wasn't the first or only time this has ever happened.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

slvrblt

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 pm

We have to accept, I think, that we all live in a crazy world now. No common sense left anywhere. Thank goodness that wasn't a hand grenade he threw. But yeah, it's always one or two mindless jerks that ruin things for everyone else.
..everything works out in the end.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
Time to shut it down. This is only going to get worse - and an engine ingesting a ball could have been a disaster on landing.

Agreed. Shut it down. Hopefully the airlines and other stakeholders with the direct need and interest in keeping the operation safe can lobby hard to get this done once and for all.

Dutchy

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Idiot.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Gasman

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Agreed. Shut it down. Hopefully the airlines and other stakeholders with the direct need and interest in keeping the operation safe can lobby hard to get this done once and for all.

The beach generates tourist dollars. It won't be shut down.

What they might - and probably should do is employ a security service to be onsite during daylight hours to monitor behaviour. This would be a cheaper option than shutting the beach down altogether.

MaksFly

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Eh, just click bait. I am sure this happens quite often. Another news blogger who is getting a few more page views.

Super80Fan

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 pm

This seems like fake news to me, doesn't look real at all. Photoshop does wonders.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

DeltaWings

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Theoretically one can do this at any airport. Just throw a golf ball at an approaching airplane.... It can easily fly several meters
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

N292UX

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 pm

That could have been disastrous had it been ingested. Charge him with something, like terrorism, or heck, attempted murder, if court could find enough evidence he was aiming for the engine

guyanam

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm

ASFlyer wrote:

And we are dealing with an extremely short runway and water at the end, so no room to abort a take off, or to have a high approach to avoid fools.

At the end of the day a high opaque fence will be built and all of this will come to an end. SXM cannot afford to be cited as an airport with inadequate safety. It will be if you want to plane watch go to the bar, or climb the hill, but no fence riding anymore.
Last edited by guyanam on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TWA772LR

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 pm

MaksFly wrote:
Eh, just click bait. I am sure this happens quite often. Another news blogger who is getting a few more page views.

Someone on here with common sense.

People always takes balls (keep it civil) to the beach. Hell, I take a football whenever I go to throw around. You can't tell me no one at this world famouse beach with an airport has never ever thrown a ball at an airplane.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

guyanam

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:14 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
[People always takes balls (keep it civil) to the beach. Hell, I take a football whenever I go to throw around. You can't tell me no one at this world famouse beach with an airport has never ever thrown a ball at an airplane.

Bird strikes have resulted in planes crashing. So who is to define the size of the ball thrown, or if some other object is used. I really don't understand the logic of some one claiming that this behavior is appropriate. Let us examine the logic of some one throwing a ball at a plane. What are they looking to happen? What is their goal? If the ball is ingested would they be happy?

I will not be surprised if the next time SXM comes up for review that comments will be made about the fact that the airport is too open and that security is lax.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 pm

guyanam wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
[People always takes balls (keep it civil) to the beach. Hell, I take a football whenever I go to throw around. You can't tell me no one at this world famouse beach with an airport has never ever thrown a ball at an airplane.

Bird strikes have resulted in planes crashing. So who is to define the size of the ball thrown, or if some other object is used. I really don't understand the logic of some one claiming that this behavior is appropriate. Let us examine the logic of some one throwing a ball at a plane. What are they looking to happen? What is their goal? If the ball is ingested would they be happy?

I will not be surprised if the next time SXM comes up for review that comments will be made about the fact that the airport is too open and that security is lax.

Your last sentence is quite bold. I wouldn't say the airport is too open and security is lax. I will agree around the property has quite a bit of activity, but what do you expect for such a small island? I haven't hard anybody breaching the fence. I was in a Walmart parking lot around MIA recently and I swear aircraft were flying low enough for me to hit one with an object.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

pvjin

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 pm

ASFlyer wrote:

It would have been no worse than a bird strike, but indeed stupidity like this should be stopped. I say just put some more warning signs, fund some guards who keep watch on tourists and arrest those who do stupid stuff like this. No need to ruin it for everybody because of few idiots.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

andrefranca

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 pm

I kind of understand why some countries still use canning as punishment after seeing this...
Andre F. :blockhead:

Delta757MD88

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:32 pm

As someone who visits SXM every year for spotting, it seems to get busier and busier every year for me (I've been going for 5 years). The sunset beach bar was recently re-done which maybe attracting more people. I've seen a lot of people at that bar, having a lot to drink then going to ride the fence.Its only a matter of time and people like this guy and the woman last week before there are consequences for everyone.
Flown on: MD-88/90 DC-9 717 737-7/8/900, 757-2/300, 767-3/400 777-200/300ER 787-9, E145/170/175, CRJ-100/200/700/900, A319/320 A333 A350 Q300/400.

spacecadet

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:39 pm

What's happening is that Saint Maarten in general (mostly the Dutch side) is becoming overrun with a mixture of retirees and rich millennials, both tourists and expats. Every time I've been there, there have been multiple new major hotels and/or condominiums going up. The area right around the airport is practically a busy city on its own at this point.

Many of these people don't know how to behave. And there are just too many of them at this point. Even traffic on the island is worse than in NYC!

There's no real solution. They're not closing the beach - anyone who's thinking that needs to just give up on that idea. Too many businesses depend on it.

Hiring a security guard is not a bad idea but it's not going to prevent anything, because the problem is this influx of new people. You can arrest someone for doing this, but you haven't prevented either him or the next person from doing it, because the next person will be just as clueless.

St. Maarten is just starting to suffer from "big city" problems. And big cities all suffer from those; the only way not to is to not become a big city.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Andre3K

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 am

andrefranca wrote:
I kind of understand why some countries still use canning as punishment after seeing this...

This comment wins. No contest.

AVFCdownunder

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 am

I am somewhat surprised a drone hasn't been sucked into an engine at this location yet. Having never been there, I presume there is nobody in an official capacity to monitor what is happening on the beach?

iamlucky13

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:48 am

spacecadet wrote:
Hiring a security guard is not a bad idea but it's not going to prevent anything, because the problem is this influx of new people. You can arrest someone for doing this, but you haven't prevented either him or the next person from doing it, because the next person will be just as clueless.

If people trying to hit aircraft is a recurring problem, it might merit a visible police presence and a willingness to arrest and charge people who do stuff like this.

It doesn't sound like this is a regular problem though.

ltbewr

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:21 am

There are a number of airports where roads and pedestrians are only a similar or slightly more distance from the threshold of a runway but they are clearly marked and patrolled as places where one cannot observe aircraft movements to deter possible terror acts, attacks or people getting injured. There should be a total shut down of Maho Beach just before the threshold of the runway and maybe 100 meters to each side of the center line of the threshold as well a security presence to keep people off. We have already seen someone dead from being in the danger zone. There cannot be any more.

jeffrey1970

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:56 am

I remember years ago when a person was arrested on that beach for throwing a bottle at the cockpit window of a US Airways plane as it was landing over Maho beach. I seriously doubt they are going to shut down a beach that is popular with tourist. Maybe they should, but I doubt they will.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Super80Fan

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:00 am

You know, I am watching a show right now about the Salem Witch Trials and I find that behavior the same as exhibited in this thread. Being ignorant and fear without any basis behind it is how terrible people come to power and how innocent people end up dead. Be careful with your rash, emotional responses.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

AVFCdownunder

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:17 am

Super80Fan wrote:
You know, I am watching a show right now about the Salem Witch Trials and I find that behavior the same as exhibited in this thread. Being ignorant and fear without any basis behind it is how terrible people come to power and how innocent people end up dead. Be careful with your rash, emotional responses.

That in itself is a somewhat emotional response isn't it? What ignorance and fear to the same extent as the Salem witch trials are you referring to?

andrefranca

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:39 pm

ltbewr wrote:
There are a number of airports where roads and pedestrians are only a similar or slightly more distance from the threshold of a runway but they are clearly marked and patrolled as places where one cannot observe aircraft movements to deter possible terror acts, attacks or people getting injured. There should be a total shut down of Maho Beach just before the threshold of the runway and maybe 100 meters to each side of the center line of the threshold as well a security presence to keep people off. We have already seen someone dead from being in the danger zone. There cannot be any more.

Yes mate, but this is the caribbean, after I have visited every single country there I can tell: By the time they make a move to make it safer it will be 2080 and most of us will be dead already...

26point2

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:55 pm

How high is this plane when as passes....100 feet? The photos make it look like the ball is close but it's not possible to throw something that high.

Try to throw a ball over a 10 story building. Betcha can't.

usxguy

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:01 pm

they should do to Maho Beach what they did at Tom Beach in St. Barths - put a fence up so people can't be directly under the approach line at the runway...
xx

kgaiflyer

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:13 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

Non-issue? Seriously?

Lets just throw things at planes. Its OK, it was just a "small" object.

Regardless, I have a feeling this wasn't the first or only time this has ever happened.

Might partially explain the sudden spike in flights taking off to the west (over the heads of he beach goers).

tjerome

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Very lucky the ball didn't go in the engine.

This reminds me of KPSM where there is a driving range right below the approach to a runway (like SXM but the driving range itself is 2-3x longer compared to SXM). Allegiant does fly MD-80s there. It is mostly GA aircraft and they are still ~300 feet high when they intersect those on the driving range. People usually stop when they hear a plane coming in but I've always thought it could create an accident if a golf ball hits a plane.

guyanam

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Your last sentence is quite bold. I wouldn't say the airport is too open and security is lax. I will agree around the property has quite a bit of activity, but what do you expect for such a small island? I haven't hard anybody breaching the fence. I was in a Walmart parking lot around MIA recently and I swear aircraft were flying low enough for me to hit one with an object.

You know that US and other large nation authorities tend often to be harsher in small countries than they are on each other. Recently there have been announcement that passengers arriving into the USA from 104 countries will be subject to extra scrutiny. Given that there are over 170 sovereign nations you can bet who these 104 will be. So when folks have the ability to throw balls in the air which can actually hit planes imagine some wondering if airports like SXM have the mechanisms in place to prevent terrorism.

Don't ask about the real prospects of SXM being a location for this. Ask about why Caribbean nations are included in those which will undergo extra scrutiny when I bet that UK or France originating passengers will not be. Citizens of both having been involved in terrorist incidents.

26point2

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:59 pm

What's wrong with your logic? I can't believe you all believe a person can throw a ball as high as this plane was flying. There is no danger. Get over it and move on.

LTCM

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 am

How do we know the plane wasn't trying to hit his ball?

catiii

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:14 am

guyanam wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

And we are dealing with an extremely short runway and water at the end, so no room to abort a take off, or to have a high approach to avoid fools.

At the end of the day a high opaque fence will be built and all of this will come to an end. SXM cannot afford to be cited as an airport with inadequate safety. It will be if you want to plane watch go to the bar, or climb the hill, but no fence riding anymore.

What on earth are you talking about? "No room to abort a takeoff?" Huh?

It's an over 7500' runway. No need to spread false facts.

catiii

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:18 am

Super80Fan wrote:

Wow...dramatic at all? And anyway suppressing posts you don't agree with doesn't exactly comport with your notion of good and bad. "Terrible people come to power" that way too.

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:12 am

catiii wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Wow...dramatic at all? And anyway suppressing posts you don't agree with doesn't exactly comport with your notion of good and bad. "Terrible people come to power" that way too.

Yep, you are correct, let's just ban planes, seems to be the root of the problem here.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

cschleic

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 am

andrefranca wrote:

You mean stuffing them into small cans like tuna or smoked salmon? Maybe you mean caning? :)

jetwet1

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:38 am

Delta757MD88 wrote:
As someone who visits SXM every year for spotting, it seems to get busier and busier every year for me (I've been going for 5 years). The sunset beach bar was recently re-done which maybe attracting more people. I've seen a lot of people at that bar, having a lot to drink then going to ride the fence.Its only a matter of time and people like this guy and the woman last week before there are consequences for everyone.

Another recent issue is, the cruise lines finally figured out people want to go over to Maho, so they are now offering packages people can buy on the ship. Last time we were down there, our ship was the 2nd in port, I was at Maho by 8am and the beach was full then, I ended up going over to Mullet and spotting from the peninsula there.

ADent

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 am

26point2 wrote:
How high is this plane when as passes....100 feet? The photos make it look like the ball is close but it's not possible to throw something that high.

Try to throw a ball over a 10 story building. Betcha can't.

I don't think a major leaguer could throw a ball and hit the plane from the water.

I don't see what the fuss is over.

Balerit

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 am

I could throw a cricket ball at least 45m, 150 ft. Imagine that ball, which was very close, as you can see it blown rearwards by the jet exhaust, went into the engine causing a compressor surge or stall. Suddenly the left wing drops and aircraft yaws left. Other engine is at flight idle and takes 6-8 seconds to get to full power and by now the aircraft is heading into the airport building. I wonder how many casualties there could have been (remember not so long ago a 777 crashed as it approached to land when it took forever for the engines to spool up for a go-around).
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

kalvado

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Balerit wrote:
I could throw a cricket ball at least 45m, 150 ft. Imagine that ball, which was very close, as you can see it blown rearwards by the jet exhaust, went into the engine causing a compressor surge or stall. Suddenly the left wing drops and aircraft yaws left. Other engine is at flight idle and takes 6-8 seconds to get to full power and by now the aircraft is heading into the airport building. I wonder how many casualties there could have been (remember not so long ago a 777 crashed as it approached to land when it took forever for the engines to spool up for a go-around).

Looks like what you're describing is a much, much bigger problem. What you're describing is a crash from a single, quite probable failure - effectively a small bird strike on approach.
If that is anywhere remotely close to being true, an immediate action is truly needed. Immediate revocation of certification for each and every airframe prone to such problem is an absolute must!

af773atmsp

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Would the ball have hit the plane if he threw it from the beach?

Honestly I have wondered what would happen if someone threw a ball at the belly of an approaching plane. Obviously I would never try it, and even if I did I wouldn't aim for the engines. So would the ball just bounce off the belly or would it be obliterated considering how fast the plane is going?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

andrefranca

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 pm

cschleic wrote:
andrefranca wrote:

You mean stuffing them into small cans like tuna or smoked salmon? Maybe you mean caning? :)

oops.

catiii

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:22 am

Super80Fan wrote:
catiii wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Yep, you are correct, let's just ban planes, seems to be the root of the problem here.

Right, because that's what everyone is arguing on here. Cmon dude...

guyanam

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:49 am

catiii wrote:

Right, because that's what everyone is arguing on here. Cmon dude...

All because grown adults need to act like kids. If an American is injured, or causes injury expect a law suit. THAT will end this whole thing when SXM retaliates. Americans like to sue. At least the New Zealanders admit that its their fault and their bad luck and seem to have let the matter rest. Whether the ball can or cannot hit the plane is immaterial. In this time of heightened scrutiny by the US authorities SXM isn't going to want to bring unwanted eyes.

Long ago it used to be people sipping beer at the bar and plane watching. It needs to go back to that. SXM isn't going to lose cruise visitors if fence riding is no longer allowed, and I seriously doubt people select SXM to fence ride either. Just something to do and they will find other things to so.

cjg225

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 pm

Balerit wrote:

It's a lot harder to throw upward than it is to throw horizontally, but I get what you're saying.

Assuming that this isn't Photoshopped, I do agree that the ball seemed to have been caught up in the disruption of the air caused by the aircraft. It's probably a fairly light ball to have had that happen.

guyanam wrote:
All because grown adults need to act like kids. If an American is injured, or causes injury expect a law suit. THAT will end this whole thing when SXM retaliates. Americans like to sue. At least the New Zealanders admit that its their fault and their bad luck and seem to have let the matter rest. Whether the ball can or cannot hit the plane is immaterial. In this time of heightened scrutiny by the US authorities SXM isn't going to want to bring unwanted eyes.

Long ago it used to be people sipping beer at the bar and plane watching. It needs to go back to that. SXM isn't going to lose cruise visitors if fence riding is no longer allowed, and I seriously doubt people select SXM to fence ride either. Just something to do and they will find other things to so.

Actually, it's more like people like to sue in America... whether they're Americans or not. Our legal system is much, much more empathic toward plaintiffs than most countries' legal systems. That's why you see people of all manner of nationalities trying their hardest to file suits in an American jurisdiction for accidents that appear to be, facially, entirely foreign. It happens fairly frequently with aviation disasters because of the injuries suffered.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos