Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jayafe
Topic Author

Seat size regulations in the US

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:58 am

'Incredible shrinking airline seat': US court says seat size a safety issue

Passenger group challenged Federal Aviation Administration after agency rejected request for rules on seat size and distance between rows

A US appeals court panel has said that federal officials must reconsider their decision not to regulate the size of airline seats as a safety issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... fety-issue

WWads

Re: Seat size regulations in the US

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:56 pm

I think it's time for regulation. It doesn't have to be overly onerous either. Minimum pitch should be 31" and 17" seats on wide-bodies shouldn't be permitted. DL does just fine with 9x 777s. 787s should be 8x instead of 9x. The airlines have received unlimited gravy from the Feds for years now. It's time they gave something back.

I really think there's something to the safety concerns. Particularly with the dense configurations and narrow aisles found on 3x4x3 777s. I would not want to have to evac one of those birds in a critical situation.

Blimpie

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:46 pm

As much as I am a pro-market Capitalist and all for he airlines to make bank, I will admit as someone a little shy of six feet in he 200# range, I do find getting in and out of an aisle from a window seat to be at bit challenging in Y class. I shutter to think about alighting in an emergency in a hurry.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

seahawk

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I think seat width is purely a matter of comfort, seat pitch on the other hand is a factor on how quickly you can reach the aisle and there should be a minimum aisle width defined.

26point2

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Interesting how seats and seat pitch are getting tighter while the average passenger is gets larger at the same time. Eventually a limit will be reached I suppose.

TransWorldOne

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:49 pm

I often hear people say, "the seats just keep getting smaller and smaller, don't they?" In most cases, this is simply untrue. Except for airlines squeezing an extra row of seats in some widebodies (777 and 787), the typical airline seat size has not changed and in some cases they have gotten even wider (DL's A320 family). A 737 economy seat today is just like a 737 seat in 1980 except today you're likely to have an in seat monitor and charging port. What has changed is the amount of legroom offered which has gotten very tight and creates the feeling of a smaller seat.

Varsity1

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Airline tickets should be required to list seat dimensions, much like soda bottle show volume.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

MIflyer12

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Airline tickets should be required to list seat dimensions, much like soda bottle show volume.

U.S. DOT regs require carriers to have web pages showing seat width by cabin, by aircraft. Even earlier, Customer Commitment negotiations (circa ~2000) between the carriers and Feds led to seat pitch and width being disclosed upon request. The people who care about such things but don't look are lazy.

anrec80

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:40 pm

WWads wrote:
I think it's time for regulation. It doesn't have to be overly onerous either. Minimum pitch should be 31" and 17" seats on wide-bodies shouldn't be permitted. DL does just fine with 9x 777s. 787s should be 8x instead of 9x. The airlines have received unlimited gravy from the Feds for years now. It's time they gave something back.

I really think there's something to the safety concerns. Particularly with the dense configurations and narrow aisles found on 3x4x3 777s. I would not want to have to evac one of those birds in a critical situation.

Fully support - this chase after economics went too far. It's safety, evac, health issues for passengers. To level the playing field - all widebodies flying into the US must have 18 inch seat. Whatever the plane was designed for. 3-3-3 on 777, 2-4-2 on 787. Fares may edge up by 10% or so. The routes served by these planes will still be profitable.

I would even make some exceptions for purely charter operations - relatively short flights that can be sold only as part of a vacation package, and not scheduled flights. Where you need to fly a lot of people cheaply and not too far.

anrec80

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

This is of little value - vast majority of economy pax won't read this anyway and will chase price and schedule.

anrec80

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:43 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
Except for airlines squeezing an extra row of seats in some widebodies (777 and 787)

This is exactly what this whole thing is about.

kabq737

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Merh unless someone can do a study or expiriment with DEFINITIVE evidence of safety issues with low seat pitch and narrow seats I'm not onboard. There should be very very few regulations that aren't safety related. If this is a comfort issue the government needs to stay out and let the market choose what they'd like with their wallets. I am not saying I am unwilling to budge however, I will only feel different if it can be proven in multiple tests that this regulation needs to be in place for passenger safety.

Personally I think this will end up going nowhere regardless of if it's a safety issue or a comfort issue. In most of these cases these attempted regulations are just government trying to entice citizens to support them. I'm also willing to be proven wrong on this but that's what it looks like to me...
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

QXAS

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Airline lobby's will just negotiate for the current minimums. E.g. 16.8" or whatever the 787 is and 28" pitch. With the current pro-business climate, and ticket prices the lowest they've ever been and Airlines the most profitable they've ever been, the regulators will be quite wary of tipping the balance and things falling apart without definite evidence. The 787 would lose its advantage. Let us not forget that it was the most highly regarded airline by joe average traveller that made 3x4x3 B777 popular, EK.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

Confuscius

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:13 pm

seahawk wrote:
I think seat width is purely a matter of comfort...

A 12" seat is doable for an adult if he or she seats in an angle with weight on one side. That's a perfect idea for "calculated misery", let say for fifty or a hundred extra dollars a passengers can book a standard 18" seat. United, American and Delta, are you listening?
Ain't I a stinker?

Jayafe
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:16 pm

seahawk wrote:
I think seat width is purely a matter of comfort.

Your are talking about US or EU "standard-butt-size"? A passenger that can not evacuate due to its size is a security matter for all the passengers

SeaDoo

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm

I am not someone who believes the government is God and needs to regulate everything, but there is an appropriate role for government to play in this arena. I would support the government coming up with standards. If it were up to me, it would vary by flight time and aircraft. Being shoved in a tiny seat for a half hour flight isn't to horrible. My last bad experience was flying NK from LAS to MSY. Large man on the aisle. Obese lady in the middle, me scrunched sideways against the wall. I know NK isn't a first class luxury option. It got me where I wanted to go, when I wanted to go, last minute at a reasonable price, but my back paid for it. I think it took two days for my back to recover. If there was some minimum standard, I suspect there will some airlines that shrink towards it, but it at least sets a minimum bar. I would hope it would start at something like 31" for your standard 737, 320 type flights. This means the ULCC can still try and sell cheaper than some legacy carriers, but it isn't a painfully uncomfortable experience.

Bald1983

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:47 pm

WWads wrote:

And the result will be, should that ever happen, is that airfares would go up and go up a lot. The United 777-300 would lose about 31 economy seats. Assuming an international flight was getting $1,000.00 a flight segment, that is $31,000.00 less revenue that would be made up on the remaining seats. Then people would scream bloody murder and want fares regulated. Then the government may re-regulate the industry and fares will really take off, pardon the pun.

bigjku

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:54 pm

The solution to people from other seats encroaching on your space is that the simply be forced to purchase two seats if they can't fit in the standard space.

Anything beyond that is just government babying.

AirAfreak

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:57 pm

I doubt any seat minimum width/pitch regulation would be introduced as law.

Many fellow-Americans (and most other consumers not employed by airline companies) have made this country (and most others) a place of quantity versus quality by voting with their wallets.

Just look at what has happened since the day airlines such as Valujet, easyJet, Air Asia, and the endless post-9/11 excuses cake about.

I would be happy to eat crow if the tables turn.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

weekendppl

As much as I despise 10-abreast in a 777 (787 9x doesn't seem any better, but I've never spent seven+ hours in one), the bigger safety issue is probably the demonstrated likelihood that people will not leave their carry-on behind in the "unlikely event" of an emergency evacuation.

aemoreira1981

There is already a minimum 16" seat requirement. Now, as for seats, I'm surprised that more airlines don't have a true premium economy section in their wide bodies (6 abreast on the 767, 7 abreast on the 787 or A330, and and 8 abreast on the 777 or A350). I would set 31"/17" as the minimum for wide-bodies.

weekendppl

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 pm

bigjku wrote:
The solution to people from other seats encroaching on your space is that the simply be forced to purchase two seats if they can't fit in the standard space.

And how, and when, and by whom, would that be forced? I'm going to force the guy next to me to buy out my seat after I get on and he spills over?

WWads

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
WWads wrote:

And the result will be, should that ever happen, is that airfares would go up and go up a lot. The United 777-300 would lose about 31 economy seats. Assuming an international flight was getting $1,000.00 a flight segment, that is $31,000.00 less revenue that would be made up on the remaining seats. Then people would scream bloody murder and want fares regulated. Then the government may re-regulate the industry and fares will really take off, pardon the pun.

I think the threat is exaggerated. DL does just fine with 3x3x3 777s, and most of UA's 777s are still in that configuration. You're assuming that UA is selling out every flight. With how TPAC loads have been lately, I think that's unlikely. A minor price increase is probable, but it won't be what you envision.

travaz

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:27 pm

This would be a another Government attempt to regulate something that Government has no business regulating. It is not a right to fly on an Airplane and it is definitely not a right to fly in some definition of "comfort". I am no skinny Minnie but not obese either. I can fit into an economy seat but It doesn't fit my definition of comfort. I pony up to fly F or J. If you don't like the seat you have many options. Drive yourself, Amtrak, Greyhound or other options. If you have a limited schedule than you have to decide which option you choose. I rode a Greyhound to Tucson from Phoenix to pick up a car and the seats were very comfortable.

weekendppl

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:37 pm

travaz wrote:
I rode a Greyhound to Tucson from Phoenix to pick up a car and the seats were very comfortable.

Big difference between a Greyhound TUS-PHX and one DEN-HNL. Just saying.

grbauc

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:40 pm

anrec80 wrote:
WWads wrote:

Fully support - this chase after economics went too far. It's safety, evac, health issues for passengers. To level the playing field - all widebodies flying into the US must have 18 inch seat. Whatever the plane was designed for. 3-3-3 on 777, 2-4-2 on 787. Fares may edge up by 10% or so. The routes served by these planes will still be profitable.

I would even make some exceptions for purely charter operations - relatively short flights that can be sold only as part of a vacation package, and not scheduled flights. Where you need to fly a lot of people cheaply and not too far.

For US carriers what about foreign Carries?

Judge1310

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

U.S. DOT regs require carriers to have web pages showing seat width by cabin, by aircraft. Even earlier, Customer Commitment negotiations (circa ~2000) between the carriers and Feds led to seat pitch and width being disclosed upon request. The people who care about such things but don't look are lazy.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
The situation in almost all things aviation....

Mir

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 pm

I doubt much will happen with seat width, but I could see a minimum pitch being implemented for evacuation ability somewhere around the 30 inch area. And it would be a good move.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Super80Fan

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Usually for airlines to do what they want (with regards to their product) but I agree it's time for a minimum pitch to be implemented. It's not just comfort it's also safety.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

redroo

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 pm

At 6ft2, anything around 30" or less in pitch and my knees are wedged into the seat in front or seat back table legs. There is no moving in a hurry without some contortion to free my knees and legs.

I would prefer less regulation... but i would advocate for a minimum of 32" for airlines... and probably a minimum distance between the front of the seat cushion and the back of the seat in front so they dont make the seats thinner again :-)

huxrules

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm 6'5" and on some planes my knees impact the seat in front of me. Particularly bad on A320s where metal digs into my skin. I usually sit in the isle. In a crash situation both of my legs will probably break and I'll trap the outboard passengers. Fun. There are several ways the airline industry can start dealing with this but their inaction will eventually trigger regulatio. Which is also fine with me.

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:46 pm

As a big person myself, I'd love to see a legal floor on seat width and pitch, but my inner business major (and armchair aviation expert) says it won't work.
TransWorldOne wrote:
I often hear people say, "the seats just keep getting smaller and smaller, don't they?" In most cases, this is simply untrue. Except for airlines squeezing an extra row of seats in some widebodies (777 and 787), the typical airline seat size has not changed and in some cases they have gotten even wider (DL's A320 family). A 737 economy seat today is just like a 737 seat in 1980 except today you're likely to have an in seat monitor and charging port. What has changed is the amount of legroom offered which has gotten very tight and creates the feeling of a smaller seat.

Airline seats are getting smaller because people are getting bigger; both in general build up in size as a species, and obesity.
Blimpie wrote:
As much as I am a pro-market Capitalist and all for he airlines to make bank, I will admit as someone a little shy of six feet in he 200# range, I do find getting in and out of an aisle from a window seat to be at bit challenging in Y class. I shutter to think about alighting in an emergency in a hurry.

Depending how your flight or fight response it, you may go into linebacker mode.
kabq737 wrote:
Merh unless someone can do a study or expiriment with evidence of safety issues with low seat pitch and narrow seats I'm not onboard.

Exactly. New aircraft models go through evac tests for a reason. Max capacity with half the exits blocked is meant to be a worst case scenario. Once new models start failing these tests in droves (which they won't), that's when pitch and seat width should be examined as a safety issue.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Flaps

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:53 pm

There are too many stupid and over reaching regulations and regulatory bodies already. Seats and seat pitch haven't shrunk all that much (although yes the have shrunk a bit) while the size of passengers has continued to increase steadily. People want low fares more than anything else. That is how they vote with their wallets and the airlines simply respond to that by increasing seat count to compensate for the lower fares.. Don't like the seat size? Fork over some cash to buy a bigger one or put down your dinner fork a few bites sooner and lose some weight. For the record I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs. I have no trouble fitting into anyone's seats. If anything ruins the travel experience its the ignorance and pomposity of fellow travelers jammed into full cabins more so than seat size.

reidar76

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Concerning evacuation time, minimum aisle width is probably more important than seat width/pitch. Maybe the aisles should be 20" to 25" wide so passengers can pass each other if necessary.

Airlines should be required to offer seats with extra legroom to passengers over a specified height, for an extra charge of course. Obese passengers should always be seated in a double seat. Safely comes first, so if there isn't a "tall seat" or a "double seat" available, the tall and obese can't fly. :-)

Jayafe
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 pm

reidar76 wrote:
.... Safely comes first, so if there isn't a "tall seat" or a "double seat" available, the tall and obese can't fly. :-)

Sounds good to me :)

danman132x

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 pm

I myself am 6'5" 220 lbs also and would love to see some sort of regulation. The seat pitch is getting out of hand. A 31 inch minimum is needed, and even at that my knees still rub the seat ahead. If the person rams the seat back, I may very well injury my knees. Sitting on a transatlantic for 8 hours is very uncomfortable for that and we don't always have the luxury of paying more for a premium seat. If every seat was maybe 50 more to have reasonable room, it would be okay. And I'm sure the airlines would still turn profits. I'm flying this November and actually purchased delta economy + for one of my flights, but that's ONLY because I got the flight for cheap, less than 600, on a sale. If I payed full ticket of 1200, there's no way to afford the extra hundred. And that's only 1 of the 3 flights I'm taking, my longest one.

100 extra is still okay, but now with deltas new A350 for example, there will be no more comfort +., but a new business style class which definitely takes it out of affordability. 100 okay maybe sometimes, but not 500+ extra.

Mightve gone on a tangent there, but I'm trying to make a point. Tickets could all increase slightly for a little more leg room for everyone, instead if most economy suffering and a few comfort + seats. It is a safety concern very much so

DLPMMM

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:21 pm

weekendppl wrote:
travaz wrote:
I rode a Greyhound to Tucson from Phoenix to pick up a car and the seats were very comfortable.

Big difference between a Greyhound TUS-PHX and one DEN-HNL. Just saying.

Just saying what?

Just saying we should put in regulations just for a single route?

Just saying that the passenger should take a bus from Denver and then take a long swim or boat ride?

Are you just saying that there is only one possible option from DEN to HNL and connections are not possible?

I have no idea what you are trying to say by saying "just saying"

weekendppl

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 pm

DLPMMM wrote:
Just saying what?

That asserting your TUS-PHX ride on a Greyhound demonstrates alternatives to flying is absurd on its face.

DLPMMM

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:01 am

Was not my ride, but the poster's point was that there are other options...

Just stating a Captain Obvious fact that there are different distances and circumstances using the grammatically and intellectually lazy "just saying" does nothing to elevate the discussion.

There are lots of ways to travel commercially in different levels of comfort...and there is also the option to not travel at all.

For a subset of the customer base to dictate to the rest of the traveling public what price they must pay at a minumun via mafia like government extortion plan is stupid.

I agree that economy class pretty much sucks.

I fly short hops in economy, but otherwise, it is either the front or I don't go...and it is on my dime.

People need to take responsibility for themselves.

Rant off

travaz

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:10 am

weekendppl wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:
Just saying what?

That asserting your TUS-PHX ride on a Greyhound demonstrates alternatives to flying is absurd on its face.

Well if you read it it is not mentioned as an alternative but as a comment on Greyhound seat size. Greyhound is an alternative to almost anywhere in the 48 states and most of Canada. It is however an alternative to flying PHX to TUS. In fact one has the option of Flying, Driving, Greyhound, or Amtrak. My larger point is that if you don't like the seat pitch you have options.

dcaviation

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:12 am

DLPMMM wrote:

Absolutely, you are spot on!

So guys, you have to stop growing at 5'6" to 5'8" - otherwise go off yourself. It's your fault that you are over 6' tall.

The only people here that are defending airlines, are probably idiots working for the airlines.

USAOZ

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:35 am

WWads wrote:

You assume that seat pitch is a good measure of legroom, but it's not. 20-30 year old seats were much bigger,especially the seat backs. You can have 2 identical aircraft with same seat config. but one could have a lot more legroom, as it may have very think seat backs. Also the part of the seat you actually sit on can be shorter. Lastly, seat design & angle determines legroom. The famous saddle seat, proposed by various airlines inc Ryanair on short haul flights, dramatically increases legroom without any change to seat pitch.

& seat width hasn't changed in Boeing 737's & 757's & Airbus A318, 319, 320 7 321's, unless airlines are increasing the aisle width, which they haven't. These boeing/airbus aircraft make up most of the worlds fleet.

The only real changes to seat width has occured in A330's & B777's. Some airlines, now have 9 across in A330's instead of 8 & some have 10 across in 777's instead of 9, but mostly this is with LCC's.

The real problem is people get fatter much fatter & they want LCC/ULCC type fares but on legacy carriers & they don't want to pay for 2 seats. Many people see the loss leader fares on LCC/ULCC's & think they are offering every seat at that fare, at all times of the year, when in reality, there are very few seats at some stupid giveaway fare & only when people don't want to fly.

DLPMMM

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:46 am

dcaviation wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

So guys, you have to stop growing at 5'6" to 5'8" - otherwise go off yourself. It's your fault that you are over 6' tall.

The only people here that are defending airlines, are probably idiots working for the airlines.

I'm only 5'10" but with degenerative discs and 2 spine surgeries so far. 2MM miles on DL and over 1MM on AA and have never worked for an airline.

So you and your feeble attempt at sarcasm can bite me.

If you don't like the seat, then don't buy it...

Take some responsibility for yourself instead of looking to some cluelesss idiots in government (either party, it does not matter).

michman

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:48 am

WWads wrote:

The 9 abreast 777's still have at least 17" of seat width. A 17" minimum would not require them to be reconfigured.

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 am

DLPMMM wrote:
dcaviation wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

I'm only 5'10" but with degenerative discs and 2 spine surgeries so far. 2MM miles on DL and over 1MM on AA and have never worked for an airline.

Take some responsibility for yourself instead of looking to some cluelesss idiots in government (either party, it does not matter).

Yep, I am going to take personal responsibility when I PM you every-time I buy a plane ticket so you can eat up the cost between the E- ticket and the F ticket. Sounds like a plan?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

travaz

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:12 am

Super80Fan wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:
dcaviation wrote:

Yep, I am going to take personal responsibility when I PM you every-time I buy a plane ticket so you can eat up the cost between the E- ticket and the F ticket. Sounds like a plan?

As I said you have options. If you can't afford the F seat than your options in this case got smaller.

Judge1310

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:18 am

DLPMMM...thank you! A clear voice of reason here.

I wonder how many of the individuals on here forget that they have a choice when it comes to air travel...Economy, Economy+/Economy Comfort/etc., Business Class, or First Class. What you ask for already exists...oh wait, I forgot, whinging #FML #FirstWorldProblems folks think that all their travel dreams ought to come true for the low price of their choosing. The invisible hand of the free market has spoken loudly since 1978 -- the vast majority of customers choose price above all else. Simple macroeconomics theory dictates that increased regulation in an industry will result in higher costs -- now who do you think would eventually bear those costs....

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:34 am

Judge1310 wrote:
DLPMMM...thank you! A clear voice of reason here.

I wonder how many of the individuals on here forget that they have a choice when it comes to air travel...Economy, Economy+/Economy Comfort/etc., Business Class, or First Class. What you ask for already exists...oh wait, I forgot, whinging #FML #FirstWorldProblems folks think that all their travel dreams ought to come true for the low price of their choosing. The invisible hand of the free market has spoken loudly since 1978 -- the vast majority of customers choose price above all else. Simple macroeconomics theory dictates that increased regulation in an industry will result in higher costs -- now who do you think would eventually bear those costs....

Like I said, I am going to PM you everytime I buy a plane ticket. I'll have the money for the E ticket, and you and others on this forum can pay me the difference the first class ticket costs.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

DLPMMM

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:42 am

travaz wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

As I said you have options. If you can't afford the F seat than your options in this case got smaller.

Soooo? Life is full of trade offs and options...if it is that important to you, then you can do research as to the seat pitch and width on each flight on each airline, instead of just choosing the cheapest and then bitching because it is tight and wanting a nanny government to make a useless and costly regulation that will just increase the price you pay for your seat...and then you will bitch about how expensive your new bigger and wider seat is and how it used to be cheaper....

Rant off

ThirtyEcho

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:44 am

You've got to love the legroom in the front row of a 1950s DC-3.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos