qf789
Topic Author

Malaysia Airlines plans lie flat direct aisle access Business class for 737MAX10

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 am

Malaysia Airlines is planning lie flat, direct aisle access Business class for its fleet of 737MAX10 with first delivery expected in 2021

Routes that are likely to see the 737MAX10 are secondary routes to China and possible overnight to Perth

MH will put 16 Business class seats in the 737MAX10

CEO Peter Bellew admits it will be like JetBlue's Mint

Malaysia Airlines will launch a radical upgrade to its Boeing 737 business class, adopting lie-flat suites with direct aisle access for all passengers.
The airline will debut the seats on its new Boeing 737 MAX 10 fleet, due for delivery from 2021

“I’m shamelessly copying what JetBlue have done with Mint, which is a fantastically innovative transcontinental product in the US” Bellew tells Australian Business Traveller. “I’m shamelessly ripping off their ideas!”
That could include Mint’s suite-like approach, which sees some seats sport “a privacy panel you can pull across so it’s like a private cabin,” Bellew hints.
However, whereas only three out of every five Mint passengers have direct access to the aisle, Bellew aims to see all travellers at the pointy end of Malaysia Airlines’ Boeing 737 MAX 10 fleet just one ginger step away from the aisle.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... ness-class
Forum Moderator

OA940

Re: Malaysia Airlines plans lie flat direct aisle access Business class for 737MAX10

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 pm

Virgin Australia is already planning that. It seems as if other airlines could follow suit soon.
A350/CSeries = bae

Newbiepilot

Re: Malaysia Airlines plans lie flat direct aisle access Business class for 737MAX10

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm

How can it be a copy of mint if they want to install direct aisle access lie flat seats? The Mint configuration does not have direct aisle access for all business class passengers. Are they going to use a different seat? A seat like Virgin Upper class probably would work of UA's kind of goofy shaped Polaris Business Seat.

FromCDGtoSYD

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:38 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
How can it be a copy of mint if they want to install direct aisle access lie flat seats? The Mint configuration does not have direct aisle access for all business class passengers. Are they going to use a different seat? A seat like Virgin Upper class probably would work of UA's kind of goofy shaped Polaris Business Seat.

Maybe mint but instead of alternating between rows in 1 - 1 and rows of 2 - 2 just have staggered rows in 1 - 1 (with a door ?)

StudiodeKadent

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:

They'll probably use the Thompson Vantage Solo. You can see it in the online catalog that Thompson have on their website (click the button marked "view brochure").

It won't be a perfect copy exactly. It'll just be a premium flatbed-with-direct-aisle-access product on a narrowbody, with upgraded service.

MoKa777

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

Maybe mint but instead of alternating between rows in 1 - 1 and rows of 2 - 2 just have staggered rows in 1 - 1 (with a door ?)

I can understand people wanting to sleep but does 1-1 not seem a bit like overkill on 4-5 hour NB flights?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

Newbiepilot

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:08 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

I can understand people wanting to sleep but does 1-1 not seem a bit like overkill on 4-5 hour NB flights?

Many of the flights to China, India and Australia are overnight flights. They leave KUL around 6pm and the plane returns around 7am the next day. They are competing with airlines flying A330s with decent business class seats although not necessarily lie flat. People will value lie flat seats because many passengers do sleep on the flights.

VC10er

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Would a 737 MAX-10 with a lie-flat business class have more range than a more traditionally fitted 737? E.g; via lighter weight?

I ask because I wonder if such a configured aircraft make it either transcontinental US, or TATL routes that 757s are doing today for the US3.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

ikolkyo

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:18 pm

VC10er wrote:
Would a 737 MAX-10 with a lie-flat business class have more range than a more traditionally fitted 737? E.g; via lighter weight?

I ask because I wonder if such a configured aircraft make it either transcontinental US, or TATL routes that 757s are doing today for the US3.

Aircraft can for sure do Transcon, TATL is out of the equation though.

Continental767

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Could they be using the BE Aerospace Apex seat? It has all aisle access while basically having the seats 2-2. Would it fit in a 737 cabin? I have no idea.

Indianapolis.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:00 pm

I think it is unnecessary. Having few rows of Economy Sleeper is the best option. Can be sold as bed on medium haul flights and as standard seats on short haul flights.

4 rows of flat bed is equivalent to 12 rows of economy seating. Route will go bust if there is no premium demand with 16 flat beds.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:06 pm

VC10er wrote:

Let's see if UA/DL/AA/AS might be tempted with transcon/TATL lie flats with a MAX8.

VC10er

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:19 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Let's see if UA/DL/AA/AS might be tempted with transcon/TATL lie flats with a MAX8.

Would they be nose to tail lie flat 737 MAX8?

I would think that would be so cool, but don't ever see them doing it.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Dutchy

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:27 pm

More generic question came to mind. At what kind of routes would be lay-flat seats have a real benefit. In Europe, on European routes, business-class is mostly three ordinary seats with the middle one blocked. Which I am fine with, because most routes are under three hours anyway. So which routes does MH plan to use the 3M1 on?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

edmaircraft

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:09 pm

VC10er wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Would they be nose to tail lie flat 737 MAX8?

I would think that would be so cool, but don't ever see them doing it.

I could see that happening if one of the US3 wanted to start a premium-only TATL service along the lines of La Compagnie or BA's A318 flights. Otherwise, I can't see it happening.
Let me up!

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
More generic question came to mind. At what kind of routes would be lay-flat seats have a real benefit. In Europe, on European routes, business-class is mostly three ordinary seats with the middle one blocked. Which I am fine with, because most routes are under three hours anyway. So which routes does MH plan to use the 3M1 on?

See post #7 above. It doesn't list actual city-pairs but it does give a sense of what they might be looking at.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

javier787

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 pm

MAS could choose to have something similar to American's first class cabin that is currently on the A321 transcon fleet, the reverse herringbone seat, thought it will probably have to be modified slightly to fit inside a 737.

AtomicGarden

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 am

javier787 wrote:
MAS could choose to have something similar to American's first class cabin that is currently on the A321 transcon fleet, the reverse herringbone seat, thought it will probably have to be modified slightly to fit inside a 737.

Why is that curtain so freakin off center? it's making me cringe
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Newbiepilot

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:18 am

javier787 wrote:

American only fits 10 of those seats in the same space that JetBlue fits in 16 of its Mint seats which are the Thompson Vantage. I don't think the Webber Cirrus reverse herringbone seat is a good use of space in a narrowbody configuration. The aisle is far wider than necessary.

Newbiepilot

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

See post #7 above. It doesn't list actual city-pairs but it does give a sense of what they might be looking at.

The MH international network has a lot of 4-6 hour overnight flights. They aren't full long haul overnight flights but many have 11pm-2am departures. There are comparatively few flights in Europe departing at that time.

Antarius

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
American only fits 10 of those seats in the same space that JetBlue fits in 16 of its Mint seats which are the Thompson Vantage. I don't think the Webber Cirrus reverse herringbone seat is a good use of space in a narrowbody configuration. The aisle is far wider than necessary.

Agreed.The 1-1 seat map isn't the most efficient on a NB.

Also for a 4-5 hour overnight, IMO, all aisle isn't that beneficial. The majority of people will lay down and go to sleep immediately.
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

Jetmarc

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:18 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
javier787 wrote:

Why is that curtain so freakin off center? it's making me cringe

There is a mid-cabin galley there for business class. It's the same as the forward galley and lav. If you look at the cockpit door on the A320, you'll see it's not centered.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

jbs2886

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 am

Newbiepilot wrote:

They're copying the strategy of Mint by offering lie-flat business/first class on narrow bodies. Just because they use a different seat doesn't mean its not a "copy" as the CEO intended it to mean.

Antarius

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am

jbs2886 wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

They're copying the strategy of Mint by offering lie-flat business/first class on narrow bodies. Just because they use a different seat doesn't mean its not a "copy" as the CEO intended it to mean.

Perhaps, although B6 wasn't the first airline to offer lay flat seats on a narrowbody. They were (I think) the first to offer closed suites on one though, so that might be what he was referring to.
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

jbs2886

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:33 am

Antarius wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

Perhaps, although B6 wasn't the first airline to offer lay flat seats on a narrowbody. They were (I think) the first to offer closed suites on one though, so that might be what he was referring to.

No, I agree they weren't. I think he just meant strategy-wise he wants a concept more similar to Mint.

Rajahdhani

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:41 am

Newbiepilot wrote:

To be fair, though, those 6 'additional' seats, do not satisfy the 'direct aisle access' part of the equation, as set by MAS.

Thus, the AA configuration better suits their demand -

Moreover:

The A321's Cabin Width is 3.70 m (12ft 2in) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A320_family#Specifications
The 737's Cabin Width is 3.54 m (11ft 7in) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_Next_Generation#Specifications

So, even if the seat design were unchanged (and remained constant in dimension); the subtraction of space would be necessitated from the aisle;

146" (A321) - 139" (737) = 7" of aisle space less.

Thus, it would also satisfy your issue as well;
Newbiepilot wrote:
The aisle is far wider than necessary.

I agree with your premise, though, that a removal of the 'direct aisle access' would yield a more productive/efficient use of space within the cabin. Who would know, better than MAS, as to what their customers require/desire/are willing to pay for.

AA's example is much more geared towards single, business passengers. B6's examples (especially the non-direct aisle access) could be marketed towards couples traveling together, but would also almost naturally mean that those non-direct aisle seats suffer lesser demand/command of a premium yield.

I could logically see:

Newbiepilot wrote:
The MH international network has a lot of 4-6 hour overnight flights. They aren't full long haul overnight flights but many have 11pm-2am departures. There are comparatively few flights in Europe departing at that time.

that MAS saw the potential for profit, to be greater with the configuration more broadly being centered around the idea/design of sleep (and not being disturbed by a neighbor - in the pursuit of profit).

So, while perhaps not the most efficient, I applaud MAS's vision here, and hope that they not only do well, but that we see more daring, beautiful and discerning premium cabins on narrow-bodies going forward. Here's to hoping that MAS does well!

Sydscott

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:07 am

Rajahdhani wrote:
that MAS saw the potential for profit, to be greater with the configuration more broadly being centered around the idea/design of sleep (and not being disturbed by a neighbor - in the pursuit of profit).

So, while perhaps not the most efficient, I applaud MAS's vision here, and hope that they not only do well, but that we see more daring, beautiful and discerning premium cabins on narrow-bodies going forward. Here's to hoping that MAS does well!

Also, more to the point, widebody aircraft are expensive as MH is finding with its hunt for additional widebody aircraft. So if MH can put the 737MAX-10 into places like PER, DEL and secondary China this frees up A330 and 738 capacity for elsewhere while not compromising quality up the front. It should work well in MH's network.

flyingclrs727

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Are there any worthwhile savings in getting an ETOPS certification for a 737 Max that is less than 180 minutes? It looks like MH wouldn't need anything over 90 minutes.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Kul-Pek%0D ... =120&E=180

Antarius

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Judging by this thread--> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1370069

The seat will be a Thomson Aero Solo

EddieDude

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I applaud that carriers are going to offer aisle-access business class seats in narrowbodies for longish overnight routes, but I wonder if something like B6's Mint is a better compromise between efficient use of space and creature comfort. For the pax traveling on their own who are very picky about aisle access, a few seats would serve that purpose, while the rest would be awesome for people traveling in pairs.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos