Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 12
 
Boof
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Source: http://newsroom.jetstar.com/jetstar-ann ... -adelaide/

Great news for ADL, HBA and JQ. Good to see JQ starting to launch some new 'secondary' routes (like this and MCY-ADL)


This is great news, and I agree that it is good to see JQ launch some secondary markets. When they flew the route last time it was 717's daily, when it went to A320's they should have cut it to 3x weekly and it may have held on but ultimately TT jumped on as well and cut it in half only for both to pull out. Interestingly VA (as DJ) had great success on this route with the 73G and flew it for quite a while before JQ started. Was a funny thing, went from nothing to 2 carriers and then back to nothing!

What is also interesting is how JQ are doing this. The flights are Tues, Thurs, Sat and the aircraft for this will operate MEL-HBA-ADL-HBA-MEL. While the ADL service is operating there will be an additional MEL-HBA-MEL service to maintain capacity between these cities. It is a very clever utilisation of aircraft. On the days that the ADL service isn't running there is the normal MEL-HBA-MEL x2.

Big question is will it be JQ that take up the HBA-AKL-HBA service that is rumoured? I'd hope that the AKL route is NZ as I think onward connections to and from HBA would be better suited by NZ's North and South America network, and open up some interesting one stop pacific island options for Tasmania. There is also been talk of HBA-PER-HBA as well and that would fit the 3x weekly profile that JQ are now carving out. Time will tell...
Bring back Virgin Blue!
 
xiaotung
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... xqsp8.html

I have been expecting an article like this which questions the risk of VA's alliance with HNA. There were reports that HNA had been forced by the Chinese government to sell their recently acquired high profile Waldorf Astoria New York property. Meanwhile, China Eastern are selling their SYD-PVG service at record low return fares at $169 ($10 plus taxes). They are even eligible for QF frequent flyer points. VA have plans to fly to one (possibly two) destination in Mainland China. I don't know how they could ever compete with all those Chinese airlines who are selling most fares below cost. In particular with the Chinese government cracking down on foreign investment and the real chance of HNA being unable to subsidising their VA alliance, I can see VA heading into a massive disaster. How do SQ and EY think about that?
 
Obzerva
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
What restrictions are there with MEB? Assuming that it couldn't take an A320/738 service?

If it could would an LCC be allow to operate from there, rather an AVV?


08/26 is 1921x45m which is more than enough to handle an A320/738 going domestically, however, it would require expanded terminal facilities and also increase the nightmare that is the MEL/MEB air traffic control area.

Add to that the political consequences, it's not going to happen.


Pretty sure DJ applied for MEB years ago when they were ramping up pre-Borghetti to try and use its closer proximity to the city than MEL as an advantage, suffice to say it never happened.
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:40 pm

First QF Dash 8 has been repainted, VH-SBB has rolled out of the hangar, found a few photos on Instagram so I'm unsure if everyone will be able to view them, but it looks pretty neat.

https://instagram.com/p/BXfiRj3AOcl/
 
USAOZ
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:57 am

has the Xmas school holiday airfare bubble just burst ? Been looking for a while to go to LAX in January & fares have been much higher than last year, when we got $1400 return SYD/LAX direct 5JAN back 21JAN.

Just got emailed from same wholesaler we used last time, $1200-$1300 fares to SFO return departing 8JAN, back 21JAN or later.

Surely other airlines will match these type of fares to some degree.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 am

CZ to go 5 weekly to ADL from 10 Dec to 26 Feb 18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... e-in-nw17/
Forum Moderator
 
vhebb
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 am

Does anyone else think that China is not the answer to VAs woes?

China is already a very well served market, and low yielding at times, hence why QF only fly daily to PVG and PEK. Its incredibly hard to compete with the local Chinese carriers.

Add to this HKG which has also come under a lot of pressure lately, QF stated a few months ago that yeilds on SYD-HKG have seen the biggest drop of all its International routes.

I cant see VA (with a similar cost base as QF) making these China/Hong Kong routes work.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:42 am

vhebb wrote:
Does anyone else think that China is not the answer to VAs woes?

China is already a very well served market, and low yielding at times, hence why QF only fly daily to PVG and PEK. Its incredibly hard to compete with the local Chinese carriers.

Add to this HKG which has also come under a lot of pressure lately, QF stated a few months ago that yeilds on SYD-HKG have seen the biggest drop of all its International routes.

I cant see VA (with a similar cost base as QF) making these China/Hong Kong routes work.


I agree it's a challenging market but combine the forecast growth (overtaking New Zealand for inbound tourists next year) and the HNA Group connection, it's not an entirely unreasonable bet. A notoriously low-yielding market but if VA has tolerance to wait it out, they could establish themselves. I think the NZ example is pertinent here - I hope VA has been paying attention.

Recent travels on VA's HKG-MEL service showed a full Y cabin with at-checkin paid upgrades to J class, which was 50 per cent sold prioir to checkin and sold out afterwards, so they're still in the establishment stage and building brand awareness etc. I'd say HKG is probably the best starting point and the 332 probably the ideal aircraft.

They've only mentioned two more mainland destinations so the strategy might be to build up a range of services from Australia to a select few China destinations (my bet, HKG, Shanghai and Beijing). Much like their approach to the US has been to concentrate on a single destination from multiple Australian points. Though this apparently has yet to turn a profit, so there's that.

I guess you'd also have to compare to alternatives - where else would they go? This presumes the value in a long haul international service, which is very debatable. Japan, Korea, Taiwan? The first is fickle and had significant additional capacity of late (QF and JL). The second might be an option, particularly from MEL. Taiwan, I'm not so familiar with.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:39 am

VH-VYE is back in service after being repainted in SIN, operating an additional SIN-PER sector as QF78

https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA78/e65fb49
Forum Moderator
 
QF41
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:18 am

Boof wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Source: http://newsroom.jetstar.com/jetstar-ann ... -adelaide/

Great news for ADL, HBA and JQ. Good to see JQ starting to launch some new 'secondary' routes (like this and MCY-ADL)


This is great news, and I agree that it is good to see JQ launch some secondary markets. When they flew the route last time it was 717's daily, when it went to A320's they should have cut it to 3x weekly and it may have held on but ultimately TT jumped on as well and cut it in half only for both to pull out. Interestingly VA (as DJ) had great success on this route with the 73G and flew it for quite a while before JQ started. Was a funny thing, went from nothing to 2 carriers and then back to nothing!

What is also interesting is how JQ are doing this. The flights are Tues, Thurs, Sat and the aircraft for this will operate MEL-HBA-ADL-HBA-MEL. While the ADL service is operating there will be an additional MEL-HBA-MEL service to maintain capacity between these cities. It is a very clever utilisation of aircraft. On the days that the ADL service isn't running there is the normal MEL-HBA-MEL x2.

Big question is will it be JQ that take up the HBA-AKL-HBA service that is rumoured? I'd hope that the AKL route is NZ as I think onward connections to and from HBA would be better suited by NZ's North and South America network, and open up some interesting one stop pacific island options for Tasmania. There is also been talk of HBA-PER-HBA as well and that would fit the 3x weekly profile that JQ are now carving out. Time will tell...


Great news. However on 9news Adelaide, it said that the route will be offered until March 2018. I cant find any links to confirm this.

Would love for Hobart to get links to NZ and a QF flight to perth i link up with the new direct flights to LHR.
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K
 
waoz1
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am

QF41 wrote:
Boof wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Source: http://newsroom.jetstar.com/jetstar-ann ... -adelaide/

Great news for ADL, HBA and JQ. Good to see JQ starting to launch some new 'secondary' routes (like this and MCY-ADL)


This is great news, and I agree that it is good to see JQ launch some secondary markets. When they flew the route last time it was 717's daily, when it went to A320's they should have cut it to 3x weekly and it may have held on but ultimately TT jumped on as well and cut it in half only for both to pull out. Interestingly VA (as DJ) had great success on this route with the 73G and flew it for quite a while before JQ started. Was a funny thing, went from nothing to 2 carriers and then back to nothing!

What is also interesting is how JQ are doing this. The flights are Tues, Thurs, Sat and the aircraft for this will operate MEL-HBA-ADL-HBA-MEL. While the ADL service is operating there will be an additional MEL-HBA-MEL service to maintain capacity between these cities. It is a very clever utilisation of aircraft. On the days that the ADL service isn't running there is the normal MEL-HBA-MEL x2.

Big question is will it be JQ that take up the HBA-AKL-HBA service that is rumoured? I'd hope that the AKL route is NZ as I think onward connections to and from HBA would be better suited by NZ's North and South America network, and open up some interesting one stop pacific island options for Tasmania. There is also been talk of HBA-PER-HBA as well and that would fit the 3x weekly profile that JQ are now carving out. Time will tell...


Great news. However on 9news Adelaide, it said that the route will be offered until March 2018. I cant find any links to confirm this.

Would love for Hobart to get links to NZ and a QF flight to perth i link up with the new direct flights to LHR.


There is a push by WA and Tassy governments to get direct flights between the two capitals
 
smi0006
Posts: 2607
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:33 am

QF41 wrote:
Boof wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Source: http://newsroom.jetstar.com/jetstar-ann ... -adelaide/

Great news for ADL, HBA and JQ. Good to see JQ starting to launch some new 'secondary' routes (like this and MCY-ADL)


This is great news, and I agree that it is good to see JQ launch some secondary markets. When they flew the route last time it was 717's daily, when it went to A320's they should have cut it to 3x weekly and it may have held on but ultimately TT jumped on as well and cut it in half only for both to pull out. Interestingly VA (as DJ) had great success on this route with the 73G and flew it for quite a while before JQ started. Was a funny thing, went from nothing to 2 carriers and then back to nothing!

What is also interesting is how JQ are doing this. The flights are Tues, Thurs, Sat and the aircraft for this will operate MEL-HBA-ADL-HBA-MEL. While the ADL service is operating there will be an additional MEL-HBA-MEL service to maintain capacity between these cities. It is a very clever utilisation of aircraft. On the days that the ADL service isn't running there is the normal MEL-HBA-MEL x2.

Big question is will it be JQ that take up the HBA-AKL-HBA service that is rumoured? I'd hope that the AKL route is NZ as I think onward connections to and from HBA would be better suited by NZ's North and South America network, and open up some interesting one stop pacific island options for Tasmania. There is also been talk of HBA-PER-HBA as well and that would fit the 3x weekly profile that JQ are now carving out. Time will tell...


Great news. However on 9news Adelaide, it said that the route will be offered until March 2018. I cant find any links to confirm this.

Would love for Hobart to get links to NZ and a QF flight to perth i link up with the new direct flights to LHR.


I'd be surprised to see a link to NZ unless the Tassie government pays for BorderForce and Biosecurity to be set up on a small scale. Be funny if it beat CBR to and NZ link!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 am

While we are on the subject of Tasmania, the 25th of November 2018 there will be a QF Antarctica charter operate from HBA for the very first time
Forum Moderator
 
decry
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:16 pm

What ever happened to Qantas' Hobart to Ningbo milk run? https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -to-china/
 
QF41
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 pm

decry wrote:
What ever happened to Qantas' Hobart to Ningbo milk run? https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -to-china/



Delayed for awhile i imagine.

http://www.themercury.com.au/business/r ... b9041c2afb

I could be wrong, however I dont think it can start until the runway extension at HBA is complete. At this stage it should be completed in early 2018.
I cant really see this venture lasting. But good luck to them.
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K
 
User avatar
LamboAston
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:53 pm

QF41 wrote:
decry wrote:
What ever happened to Qantas' Hobart to Ningbo milk run? https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -to-china/



Delayed for awhile i imagine.

http://www.themercury.com.au/business/r ... b9041c2afb

I could be wrong, however I dont think it can start until the runway extension at HBA is complete. At this stage it should be completed in early 2018.
I cant really see this venture lasting. But good luck to them.

At 7300ft, it should be long enough, especially with low fuel to stop on the way (SYD, or other East coast)
AS350, B733/4/7/8/9, B744/8, B762/3, B772/E/L/W, B788/9, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT75/6, Q300/400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110, C152/172/206/208 PA22/28/38
NZ EK EY QR QF SQ UA US CO FZ FR, U2 BA VA VS MH EI EY LH EN NM TG GZ SA
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

As previously discussed MH will start BNE either towards the end of 2018 or start of 2019 once A333 is available

PER-KUL will go double daily next year. Will reschedule flights to avoid QF PER-LHR and try and generate different traffic flows out of PER

No A388 service on the cards for either SYD/MEL

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... s-to-perth
Forum Moderator
 
skyhawkmatthew
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:57 am

vhebb wrote:
Add to this HKG which has also come under a lot of pressure lately, QF stated a few months ago that yeilds on SYD-HKG have seen the biggest drop of all its International routes.

I cant see VA (with a similar cost base as QF) making these China/Hong Kong routes work.


VA is not really operating to Hong Kong to make profits for themselves. HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 am

No A388 service on the cards for either SYD/MEL


Interesting to note that the choice to not fly the A380 to MEL and SYD was allegedly based on availability of A380 gates rather than ability to fill the aircraft. Having flown them in January, I have no doubt the A330s are too small for the demand but this was when they were still flying the 777s to Europe alongside the London-bound A380s. KUL is poorly served by other carriers so connections beyond KUL on airlines other than MH is limited.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
xiaotung
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:54 am

skyhawkmatthew wrote:

VA is not really operating to Hong Kong to make profits for themselves. HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.


Yes, but if the Chinese government forced HNA to dispose of their overseas assets (a real possibility), as China appears no longer tolerates HNA borrowing money with virtually no interest from state owned banks like crazy, what would be left for VA? There are plenty of articles online about HNA's ambiguous corporate structure. Just how far would HNA be writing cheques for VA is a big question. And how far would EY and SQ tolerate VA playing with their own money? It's popcorn time for Christopher Luxon.
 
skyhawkmatthew
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 am

xiaotung wrote:
skyhawkmatthew wrote:

VA is not really operating to Hong Kong to make profits for themselves. HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.


Yes, but if the Chinese government forced HNA to dispose of their overseas assets (a real possibility), as China appears no longer tolerates HNA borrowing money with virtually no interest from state owned banks like crazy, what would be left for VA? There are plenty of articles online about HNA's ambiguous corporate structure. Just how far would HNA be writing cheques for VA is a big question. And how far would EY and SQ tolerate VA playing with their own money? It's popcorn time for Christopher Luxon.


Agreed. Things are about to become even more interesting in the VA saga for sure.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.
 
decry
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:18 am

tullamarine wrote:
Interesting to note that the choice to not fly the A380 to MEL and SYD was allegedly based on availability of A380 gates rather than ability to fill the aircraft.


Doesn't surprise me. Sydney only has 6 a380 capable gates which at times are occupied by most other aircraft types. Last summer at it's peak Sydney Airport had 11 a380 arrivals before 11.30 am with at least 5 of those arrivals turning around for departure soon after arrival. Twice I saw Korean's a380 arrive and turn around on international freight bay 7 which is a stand off bay with no aerobridges so stairs and bussing of guests was required.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 am

Let's see if this happens this time

TG BKK-MEL to go double daily A359 from 1 Feb 18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-08aug17/
Forum Moderator
 
MooLor
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 am

qf789 wrote:
Let's see if this happens this time

TG BKK-MEL to go double daily A359 from 1 Feb 18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-08aug17/


Bangkok – Melbourne TG461/462 operational aircraft changes
29OCT17 – 31JAN18 777-200ER replaces -300ER
eff 01FEB18 A350 replaces 777-200ER (Double daily A350 service from this date)


Odd they would downgauge one of the daily flights over the peak season. But it is TG.

A slight drop in capacity overall too - double daily 77W going to double daily A359 loses 54 seats per day - 20 J / 34 Y. That's surprising given the lack of competition on the route.

When does TG465 / 466 go A350? - that Routes Online entry is ambiguous. Both commence 1 Feb is it?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 am

MooLor wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Let's see if this happens this time

TG BKK-MEL to go double daily A359 from 1 Feb 18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-08aug17/


Bangkok – Melbourne TG461/462 operational aircraft changes
29OCT17 – 31JAN18 777-200ER replaces -300ER
eff 01FEB18 A350 replaces 777-200ER (Double daily A350 service from this date)


Odd they would downgauge one of the daily flights over the peak season. But it is TG.

A slight drop in capacity overall too - double daily 77W going to double daily A359 loses 54 seats per day - 20 J / 34 Y. That's surprising given the lack of competition on the route.

When does TG465 / 466 go A350? - that Routes Online entry is ambiguous. Both commence 1 Feb is it?


There is more capacity on MEL-BKK currently then what was in February this year. At the time TG461/462 was a 772. TG has also had 2 788's recently due to a shortage of engine parts and those wroute have been subbed by the 772. While I have no knowledge of this MEL may have had the 77W sent there so the 772 could sub those 788 routes. TG has also wanted to operate the A359 to MEL for nearly a year now. Refer to the links below

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways Melbourne

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways Melbourne

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways Melbourne

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways Melbourne

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways Melbourne

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways Melbourne

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=thai airways melbourne
Forum Moderator
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 am

1 October, according to this:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... light=THAI MELBOURNE
 
MooLor
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 am

^ Yes, I'm familiar with the TG A350 / CASA saga. Have CASA made a decision / given permission for them to fly the A350 here yet?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 am

Todays EK409 MEL-DXB has taken the scenic route, most likely ETOPS restrictions, flight pushing just over 15 hours

Image

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 6495527937
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 4166
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:08 am

smi0006 wrote:
I'd be surprised to see a link to NZ unless the Tassie government pays for BorderForce and Biosecurity to be set up on a small scale. Be funny if it beat CBR to and NZ link!


Didn't NZ get the Goverment to fund it for MCY which isn't year round either.
 
PA515
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 am

qf789 wrote:
Todays EK409 MEL-DXB has taken the scenic route, most likely ETOPS restrictions, flight pushing just over 15 hours

Won't be ETOPS with that routing. I suspect no HF radio.

PA515
Last edited by PA515 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
decry
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 am

vhebb wrote:
Does anyone else think that China is not the answer to VAs woes?


Once upon a time JB didn't see the value in Virgin Australia having an asian strategy, doing a deal with an asian airline or flying there for that matter.

Tune in from 11.30 onwards...

https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ine-199511
 
QF29
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 am

qf789 wrote:
Todays EK409 MEL-DXB has taken the scenic route, most likely ETOPS restrictions, flight pushing just over 15 hours

Image

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 6495527937


ETOPS has never been an issue for 409. It did leave 40 Minutes late due to M/X.
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B717 B737-4/6/7/8/9 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8/9, Q-400, DHC-3 Seaplane, C172S, PA-28, Super Decathlon
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 am

skyhawkmatthew wrote:
vhebb wrote:
HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.


I was expressly told last year by a very senior industry figure that this venture was so that Chinese airlines could use Australian bi-lateral capacity to expand in Hong Kong. In fact by weird co-incidence the meeting took place in the same building (but not the same room) as JB's interview below!

decry wrote:
vhebb wrote:
Does anyone else think that China is not the answer to VAs woes?


Once upon a time JB didn't see the value in Virgin Australia having an asian strategy, doing a deal with an asian airline or flying there for that matter.

Tune in from 11.30 onwards...

https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ine-199511
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am

skyhawkmatthew wrote:

VA is not really operating to Hong Kong to make profits for themselves. HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.


If that were the case you reckon SQ and EY have given their blessings? I don't think so...

HNA is not the only shareholder in VA, so VA is not their little toy who they can use to pursue their own strategic objectives. SQ and EY haven't been performing well in their own operations lately so I don't think they'd be open to VA running China ops just to "trash" CX's yields and further worsen VA's dire financial performance.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8642
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
skyhawkmatthew wrote:

VA is not really operating to Hong Kong to make profits for themselves. HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.


If that were the case you reckon SQ and EY have given their blessings? I don't think so...

HNA is not the only shareholder in VA, so VA is not their little toy who they can use to pursue their own strategic objectives. SQ and EY haven't been performing well in their own operations lately so I don't think they'd be open to VA running China ops just to "trash" CX's yields and further worsen VA's dire financial performance.


I have to agree with Skyhawkmatthew. VA told anyone who would listen that they didn't need an Asian strategy and that SQ offered all of the connectivity they needed. At least they did until HNA invested. Suddenly VA have an interest in serving markets that HNA would like to serve but are restricted from. Colour me sceptical that is a coincidence.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
xiaotung
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

decry wrote:
vhebb wrote:
Does anyone else think that China is not the answer to VAs woes?


Once upon a time JB didn't see the value in Virgin Australia having an asian strategy, doing a deal with an asian airline or flying there for that matter.

Tune in from 11.30 onwards...

https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ine-199511


JB's only consistent strategy is to find someone who can invest irrationally. I think JB would have lost his job had HNA not come to the rescue. He must have thought he had found a second EY which had unlimited amount of funds he could access. Unfortunately both EY and HNA have been put under scrutiny by their own government that their spending spree must stop.
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5700
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am

QF29 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Todays EK409 MEL-DXB has taken the scenic route, most likely ETOPS restrictions, flight pushing just over 15 hours

Image

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 6495527937


ETOPS has never been an issue for 409. It did leave 40 Minutes late due to M/X.

A friend of a friend heard them calling on centre as ops normal, but unable to accept RVSM. Presumably this routing kept them in radar coverage.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:21 am

qf789 wrote:
Todays EK409 MEL-DXB has taken the scenic route, most likely ETOPS restrictions, flight pushing just over 15 hours

Image

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 6495527937


That's quite amazing. No HF radio would make sense... would have been interesting explaining that to passengers on board.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:27 pm

angusjt wrote:
First QF Dash 8 has been repainted, VH-SBB has rolled out of the hangar, found a few photos on Instagram so I'm unsure if everyone will be able to view them, but it looks pretty neat.

https://instagram.com/p/BXfiRj3AOcl/


There's already one photo in the database. Though its hard to tell from this angle it doesn't appear to have belly titles

Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
SJL
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Does anyone know how Batik Air is doing on their recently launched DPS-PER? Lion Air Group have wanted access to PER for years and I'm booked with them for November.

As a side note, their website lists a 739 on the route but I've seen 738's parked at the gate.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2607
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

xiaotung wrote:
decry wrote:
vhebb wrote:
Does anyone else think that China is not the answer to VAs woes?


Once upon a time JB didn't see the value in Virgin Australia having an asian strategy, doing a deal with an asian airline or flying there for that matter.

Tune in from 11.30 onwards...

https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ine-199511


JB's only consistent strategy is to find someone who can invest irrationally. I think JB would have lost his job had HNA not come to the rescue. He must have thought he had found a second EY which had unlimited amount of funds he could access. Unfortunately both EY and HNA have been put under scrutiny by their own government that their spending spree must stop.


I'm confess I don't enjoy flying with VA and I don't enjoy their product- Old school Checkin annoys the crap out of me (except perth), lounges with a clinical feel, annoying automated PA onboard, poor catering. Self confessed QF fanboy.

I will however say - VA has enormous potential! But JB has to go. The staff are there, the fleet is there, but the strategy is not. Inconsistent and not long term.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

SJL wrote:
Does anyone know how Batik Air is doing on their recently launched DPS-PER? Lion Air Group have wanted access to PER for years and I'm booked with them for November.

As a side note, their website lists a 739 on the route but I've seen 738's parked at the gate.


The first BITRE figures should be available at the start of next month. They started the route with A320s, then switched to 738's on the 21st of July for a week, since then they have operated 739's to PER
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
SJL
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks qf789. Looking forward to seeing the numbers - I've heard anecdotally the flights have gone out with plenty of spare seats. Early days for a new operator though and they've done minimal advertising - seemingly less than Malindo when they opened KUL.

I swore I saw an A320 on approach - thought I'd had one too many coffees.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:50 pm

SJL wrote:
Thanks qf789. Looking forward to seeing the numbers - I've heard anecdotally the flights have gone out with plenty of spare seats. Early days for a new operator though and they've done minimal advertising - seemingly less than Malindo when they opened KUL.

I swore I saw an A320 on approach - thought I'd had one too many coffees.


There must be some impact though, as Garuda has dropped down to 738 (that started last week) and the A330 is not expected back on the route until the end of October
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
SJL
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:02 pm

qf789 wrote:
There must be some impact though, as Garuda has dropped down to 738 (that started last week) and the A330 is not expected back on the route until the end of October


Seems like there's a space for them to sit between GA at the premium end of the market and QZ/JQ at the LCC end. I'm interested to see the BITRE figures next month. Although it's a shame for GA to drop the only wide body on the route, I hope they succeed - nice for PER to see a regular 739!
 
qantas747
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 12:51 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:35 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:
skyhawkmatthew wrote:

VA is not really operating to Hong Kong to make profits for themselves. HNA Group is using VA as a vehicle (through codesharing with Hong Kong Airlines) to compete with CX and trash their yields on the lucrative Australia-HK-beyond markets. CX has used up all the bilateral frequencies to major cities from the HK end, so using VA is a convenient way around the restrictions for HKA.


If that were the case you reckon SQ and EY have given their blessings? I don't think so...

HNA is not the only shareholder in VA, so VA is not their little toy who they can use to pursue their own strategic objectives. SQ and EY haven't been performing well in their own operations lately so I don't think they'd be open to VA running China ops just to "trash" CX's yields and further worsen VA's dire financial performance.


I have to agree with Skyhawkmatthew. VA told anyone who would listen that they didn't need an Asian strategy and that SQ offered all of the connectivity they needed. At least they did until HNA invested. Suddenly VA have an interest in serving markets that HNA would like to serve but are restricted from. Colour me sceptical that is a coincidence.


I think they finally realised that there was a gap in their Asian markets and HNA helps give them more direct access to China and North Asia. Premium pax dont particularly like having to backtrack from SIN.
VA are also quite strong domestically in CNS and OOL so the partnership would help support the exisiting HX flight. Much better use of their 330s too.

What theyre heading towards is
SQ SE Asia and Indian Subcontinent, Europe
EY Europe, ME and North Africa
HNA North Asia
DL North America
NZ Tasman and Pacific
SA Southern Africa

HKG just needed to be served on their own metal to support a better proposition.

Their only gap now would be Japan but with agressive growth from QF its limited.
Looking forward to their results tomorrow though. Should be some interesting announcements.
 
ben175
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Any news on MU's proposed PER-PVG service?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:02 pm

ben175 wrote:
Any news on MU's proposed PER-PVG service?


No Perth Airport said about a month ago that they hope to secure flights to both PVG and NRT/HND within 2 years

https://thewest.com.au/travel/new-route ... b88522607z
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar bill police for fighting crime

Qantas and its subsidiary Jetstar are charging police and other law-enforcement agencies $50 almost every time they request information about passengers in investigations, from organised crime to routine inquiries.

Virgin Australia began charging months earlier, with a fee of $30 a time, but its criteria means it will collect on fewer ­requests than Qantas.
Qantas insists that the fee-charging, quietly rolled out four months ago, is necessary to recover the costs of airline staff responding to police, state-based anti-corruption groups and other agencies tracking certain passengers.


http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 358e1c43a5
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11829
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Qantas to deploy 717's from BNE to ADL and CNS from November

Two 717's will be withdrawn from WA to service the new flights. Both aircraft will be reconfigured from all economy to 2 class jets

F100's will see increased utilisation

The 737's that are freed up on these routes will be redeployed on existing routes such as ADL-PER and SYD-MEL

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-brings- ... ne-flights
Forum Moderator
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 12

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos