Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RyanairGuru

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 am

MooLor wrote:
n729pa wrote:
Arrived back in LHR yesterday from SYD on the QF1. Quite eventful flight 2 hour delay initially due to a technical issue (my old friend VH-OQA)...30 mins out of SYD medical emergency declared on board and assistance called for. On take off from DXB we got to the runway just lining up when we pulled off to the side another tech issue the crew weren't happy with (announcement too quiet to catch everything said) but sat there approx 15 mins until ok then took off. Then about 30 mins out again, another medical emergency! All in a days work for the boys and girls at QF . Highlight of my trip was meeting Captain Richard de Crespigny who was flying , LHR DXB sector of the QF2 i was on Monday last week. Clearly enjoys his job and interaction with the passengers too.

As always my thanks to all the QF staff, nothing but the best from them as usual.

MooLor. ...I went to the Bledisoe Cup game and despite wearing the gold and green to show my allegiance ...it didnt help very much!

Haha, you have my sympathy. But I'll bet the NZ fans were quite sporting about the latest Wallabies humiliation. hahaha, as if. At least you're less likely to be spat on on this side of the Tasman.

Do QF have flight crew that reside in London, I wonder? Would make sense, but it seems a shame for someone as "famous" as Captain Richard de Crespigny to reside so far from home, with limited mentoring opportunities.

No pilots, only FAs based in London. DXB-LHR is staffed by LHR based cabin crew and SYD based pilots.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:08 am

QF VH-ZNA is scheduled for rollout today/tonight. Patiently waiting.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

VirginFlyer

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
A mother has claimed that a VA spiltd boiling water on her 5 year old son on a flight from BNE-PER on the 10th of August.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 0a178eddb6

A TG flight attendant spiltd red wine on my flight from BKK-SYD I can't believe it didn't hit the news headlines! Please give me a break it was accidental! Just another passenger milking another compensation claim!

EK413

Respectfully, there is some degree of difference between red wine and boiled water/noodles (probably at least 50 degrees of difference, one might say).

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:30 am

QF's 2nd Q300 VH-SBT in Silveroo Livery has been renamed Rockhampton, returned to service over the weekend

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/n ... e/3215534/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 am

Somoa Airways will begin operations in November and will fly to both SYD & BNE

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... oeing-737/
Forum Moderator

EK413

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
A mother has claimed that a VA spiltd boiling water on her 5 year old son on a flight from BNE-PER on the 10th of August.

A TG flight attendant spiltd red wine on my flight from BKK-SYD I can't believe it didn't hit the news headlines! Please give me a break it was accidental! Just another passenger milking another compensation claim!

EK413

Respectfully, there is some degree of difference between red wine and boiled water/noodles (probably at least 50 degrees of difference, one might say).

V/F

Even though there's a 50 degree difference you have missed the point. The crew applied 1st aid & in my case clean the red wine spill. It's a burn I get it but going on and claiming crew didn't know how to apply 1st aid is bloody ridiculous. Top it off terrified of flying? Really? If that's not over dramactic tell me what is?

EK413

kriskim

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 am

qf789 wrote:
Somoa Airways will begin operations in November and will fly to both SYD & BNE

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... oeing-737/

Some of these airlines seriously need to hire graphic designers, and if they did, they should of be fired!

The brand doesn't stand out like neighbouring airlines; FJ, SB and NF. The logo looks like a 5 minute job done on powerpoint! Can't wait to see what the livery will look like!
A world built upon connectivity.

USAOZ

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 am

Free Spirt is having a go at Burnie airport, who seem to have given a deal to Rex but not Free Spirit.

$25 a passenger sounds a bit steep. Maybe they charge per aircraft & if using aircraft with less seats, it costs more per passenger.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/487 ... r-airport/

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 am

Interim report handed down on AirAsia X engine failure D7237 PER-KUL

The engine manufacturer found that a section of the fan blade separated at about one quarter of its length from the blade base. The blade section and associated engine debris were retained within the engine cowls. Examination of the retained fan blade section identified that the separation was likely due to metal fatigue that originated within the blade’s internal structure. Investigation and analysis of the failure mode are on-going.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2017-066/
Forum Moderator

bunumuring

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am

Hey guys,
All of this Airbus swap speculation has been aired for ages here in our thread, going back months if not years.
My thoughts are still the same:
A380-800 deposits go to either [1] A350s of various models like -900ULR, -1000 or [2] more A32Xneos to replace mainline 737-800s or [3] A380'neo' or 'plus' to replace the A380-800s medium term... or maybe even a combination of these, with options [2] and [3] allowing a 777 order without the financial 'pain' of lost deposits
Thus the 737 replacement I believe may be a 'linked' decision with the 777/A350 decision .... and maybe, just maybe the longer term A380-800 replacement (777-9 v A350-1000 v A380plus???)
The only thing I feel sure about is that QF WILL go ahead with the LHR and JFK nonstop routes - there has been simply too much air time in the media given by Alan Joyce et al about this happening for it now NOT to happen (does that make sense?). QF management would have made the decision in principle within the time frame since it was first aired ages ago and are now down to the 'nuts and bolts' of the deal I reckon.
To me, a layman completely outside the industry, the 777 seems to be the better fit for LHR and JFK and wider route development but I comprehend how big this decision will be and how many financial and technical variables there must be. Surely this is a more wide-ranging and crucial decision than the 787 selection decision (and then 'redecision') all those years ago.
I am excited by QF's plans and forward-looking cultural changes. Much credit to all of those involved in QF management for moving forward and accelerating the growth and development of QF.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 am

Came across this article though its a few weeks old

AirAsia X is planning to resume ADL over the next 6-8 months
CBR & CNS also on the radar though on a longer time schedule to start
Looking at additional services into SYD, MEL & OOL

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6b1200fc9a
Forum Moderator

MooLor

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
All of this Airbus swap speculation has been aired for ages here in our thread, going back months if not years.
My thoughts are still the same:
A380-800 deposits go to either [1] A350s of various models like -900ULR, -1000 or [2] more A32Xneos to replace mainline 737-800s or [3] A380'neo' or 'plus' to replace the A380-800s medium term... or maybe even a combination of these, with options [2] and [3] allowing a 777 order without the financial 'pain' of lost deposits
Thus the 737 replacement I believe may be a 'linked' decision with the 777/A350 decision .... and maybe, just maybe the longer term A380-800 replacement (777-9 v A350-1000 v A380plus???)
The only thing I feel sure about is that QF WILL go ahead with the LHR and JFK nonstop routes - there has been simply too much air time in the media given by Alan Joyce et al about this happening for it now NOT to happen (does that make sense?). QF management would have made the decision in principle within the time frame since it was first aired ages ago and are now down to the 'nuts and bolts' of the deal I reckon.
To me, a layman completely outside the industry, the 777 seems to be the better fit for LHR and JFK and wider route development but I comprehend how big this decision will be and how many financial and technical variables there must be. Surely this is a more wide-ranging and crucial decision than the 787 selection decision (and then 'redecision') all those years ago.
I am excited by QF's plans and forward-looking cultural changes. Much credit to all of those involved in QF management for moving forward and accelerating the growth and development of QF.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

I followed that other recent 'rumour' thread with interest. Of your possible options, my money would be on [2].

If I were making the decision it would be option [1] - use the A359 for ULH in place of the 789, use the 789 into Asia and eventually domestically. The 789 on ULH duties are just going to gain a poor reputation for Y comfort IMO.

Two reasons I choose option [2]
- QF don't seem an A350 kinda airline, Y comfort is not something they seem to care much about.
- A350 cannot replace A380, 777X will be needed for that. Unless QF want to shrink further.

getluv

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 am

It's not about shrinking, it is about opening up new routes sustainably. Routes like SYD-ORD, MEL-DFW, BNE-SFO for example will not support 300+ seats daily. You also have to consider whether QF can really wait until 2022 to get the 777X, while NZ is actively talking about flying to NYC.

Given QF is about to spend a whole bunch of money repainting and installing Wi-Fi on its 737s, and also because it has a weak domestic competitor, the likelihood of an order for 737 replacements is far off.

Even though QF's profit announcement will be pretty good, they might announce something other than lounge upgrades, new QFF initiatives on Friday to take some media attention away from the fact that their profit will be lower.

I also honestly think, 4-engine flying out of BNE and MEL will be over soon. There'll be no 744 services ex-MEL as of December when QF95/96 switches to 789. The 744 is also not making a return on MEL-HKG in NW17.
I'm that bad type.

bunumuring

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:24 am

qf789 wrote:
Came across this article though its a few weeks old

AirAsia X is planning to resume ADL over the next 6-8 months
CBR & CNS also on the radar though on a longer time schedule to start
Looking at additional services into SYD, MEL & OOL

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6b1200fc9a

Hey mate,
This aligns nicely with the rumour I have heard that Canberra is in the process of 'courting' a third international operator, but I have no idea who it is!
I still think an Air NZ flight to Canberra that patches into 'onward' connections from AKL to the Pacific (leisure) and Asia / the Americas (business and leisure and government) might be the next best chance. Plus I suspect there would be a good percentage of O&D traffic between the CBR and AKL catchment areas that could be attractive to harvest.
In my opinion, other possibilities for international CBR flights to follow Singapore and Qatar would a Chinese airline into Shanghai or Beijing, Virgin and / or Qantas across the Tasman or Fiji Airways resuming Fiji flights (perhaps seasonal again). I really can't see Emirates or Etihad starting Canberra unless they want to do 'a Qatar' and tag it on to extra Sydney flights OR do 'a Singapore' and tag (for example) Christchurch or Hobart or somewhere like that to the Canberra flight... Imagine a 777-200LR or Dreamliner 9 into Hobart! Just imagine as well a Lionair / Batik MAX or Air Asia neo flight doing something crazy like DPR-DRW-CBR and return!
Cheers,
Bunumuring

bunumuring

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 am

getluv wrote:
It's not about shrinking, it is about opening up new routes sustainably. Routes like SYD-ORD, MEL-DFW, BNE-SFO for example will not support 300+ seats daily. You also have to consider whether QF can really wait until 2022 to get the 777X, while NZ is actively talking about flying to NYC.
Given QF is about to spend a whole bunch of money repainting and installing Wi-Fi on its 737s, and also because it has a weak domestic competitor, the likelihood of an order for 737 replacements is far off.

Hey mate,
I agree with you on the first point - I think future QF ULH flights will definitely not be limited to PER-LHR, SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK ... CDG seems highly likely with rumours about Dallas and Chicago regularly getting an airing. I guess however that some of these may be Dreamliner 9 flights and some may be 777/A350 flights...
The second point I disagree with you. Both the neo and the MAX have huge backlogs meaning that even a decision today would mean first deliveries a fair way off into the future. I also think that QF can't depend on relatively low fuel prices lasting forever and a 'weak' competitor to put off the replacement of it's domestic workhorse .... especially when that competitor will be taking delivery of 40 x MAXs in the medium term (arguably well before QF could take delivery) and gaining cost savings through lower fuel consumption compared to the 737-800s.
Plus I am pretty sure that Alan Joyce has already stated that QF has started looking at it's future narrow-body needs ....
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

getluv

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:54 am

If VA have another year like 2016/2017 without the additional funds from Chinese shareholders, they will be lucky enough to be around. So I doubt VA will be taking the MAX this decade, if they're still around.

If Boeing and Airbus want QF to buy either the 777s or A350, with all the publicity it will generate with routes like SYD-JFK/LHR being announced, you can bet your house that they will find slots for single aisles for QF.

As far as I know, QF have not said where the A320ceos will be going.
I'm that bad type.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:13 am

bunumuring wrote:
getluv wrote:

Hey mate,
I agree with you on the first point - I think future QF ULH flights will definitely not be limited to PER-LHR, SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK ... CDG seems highly likely with rumours about Dallas and Chicago regularly getting an airing. I guess however that some of these may be Dreamliner 9 flights and some may be 777/A350 flights...
The second point I disagree with you. Both the neo and the MAX have huge backlogs meaning that even a decision today would mean first deliveries a fair way off into the future. I also think that QF can't depend on relatively low fuel prices lasting forever and a 'weak' competitor to put off the replacement of it's domestic workhorse .... especially when that competitor will be taking delivery of 40 x MAXs in the medium term (arguably well before QF could take delivery) and gaining cost savings through lower fuel consumption compared to the 737-800s.
Plus I am pretty sure that Alan Joyce has already stated that QF has started looking at it's future narrow-body needs ....
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

I think we wont see an order for narrowbodies until Boeing launches the 797 which I think is likely next year. I think that the 797 would be a great aircraft for trunk domestic routes (triangle and coast to coast) plus operate on international markets where a 738 may be too small or have insufficient range and where a A330 is too big and would open up a lot of opportunities for QF

On CDG it has been discussed before that QF could be flying there as earlier as end of 2018
Forum Moderator

MooLor

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:26 pm

getluv wrote:

Even though QF's profit announcement will be pretty good, they might announce something other than lounge upgrades, new QFF initiatives on Friday to take some media attention away from the fact that their profit will be lower.

I also honestly think, 4-engine flying out of BNE and MEL will be over soon. There'll be no 744 services ex-MEL as of December when QF95/96 switches to 789. The 744 is also not making a return on MEL-HKG in NW17.

Shrinking as in not having a high-capacity frame to take over from the A380 when they retire - in the late 2020s / early 2030s I expect. A359 ULH is all well and good - I'd love to see it - but QF still need a "workhorse" high capacity sub-fleet. Unless they intend shrinking - leaving the high-capacity Y-hauler market to the large airlines, and instead concentrate on premium-heavy thin routes and / or higher-frequencies on thick (fat?) routes with smaller aircraft.

I don't imagine QF will give up on their "still call Australia home" place in the market, so I expect they will order the 777X. And with 787 already in the fleet, adding A350 might be too many types for what is really a smallish airline. Unless the 787 go to JQ, yada yada.

The domestic narrow bodies - no idea. A32x is somewhere they could divert those A380 deposits though.

ben175

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm

QF might not fill the 380s in February to LAX, but they are absolutely chockers in June-July when I've flown them. If QF were to operate smaller aircraft, surely frequency will be increased.

allrite

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 pm

qf789 wrote:
QF's 2nd Q300 VH-SBT in Silveroo Livery has been renamed Rockhampton, returned to service over the weekend

Kind of apt that they "downgrade" the name of Rockhampton from a 767 to a Q300, considering that services to the airport itself have largely waned from when I lived there. :)
I like artificial banana essence!

jupiter2

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:40 am

ben175 wrote:
QF might not fill the 380s in February to LAX, but they are absolutely chockers in June-July when I've flown them. If QF were to operate smaller aircraft, surely frequency will be increased.

You don't run a fleet of aircraft for 2 months of the year. Of course QF fill the 380 more often than that, but as QF have shown more often recently, they will adjust capacity as required when required.

bunumuring

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:15 am

Hey guys,
A funny story for you...
Last night I was chatting with a (non-aviation) mate who has moved back to the Illawarra recently after a few years away.
Conversation came around to the new Jetgo flights from Albion Park airport, near where he has just moved to. After listening to me explain how excited I was that flights to Melbourne and Brisbane would be starting soon, he told me that 'QantasLink' had already resumed the flights to Melbourne 'like they used to fly' ...
I replied that they hadn't ....
He said that they definitely had and that he had often seen the tail of the QantasLink plane poking over the top of the hangar as he drove down through Albion Park to Tullimbar...
I burst out laughing when I realised that the 'QantasLink' plane he was talking about was in fact VH-OJA...
I'm shouting him a tour of it as a result in a few weeks!~
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

TN486

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 am

Well done Bunumuring. You treated that man with respect. I hope you both enjoy the day. I took my teenage grandchildren to MEL recently, spotting as I do, and spent most of the morning explaining airline and aircraft types, as the first comment I received from each of them was, "WOW grandpa, are they all A380's"?(the question was based on a conversation we were having on our way to MEL in the car).
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

qf2220

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:59 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

EK413

Id say another newspaper generating clicks on a page more like.

Lots of spiltding going on these days it seems....

bunumuring

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 am

"... and in further news, yesterday on the Ansett late afternoon Sydney-Adelaide Boeing 727 flight a certain Mr Bunumuring of NSW was completely drenched by the air hostess losing grip on a full container of orange juice being poured and served across his lap to his travelling companion in the window seat. Mr Bunumuring was completely drenched from his stomach down and was left with large orange stains on his pale blue shirt and white pants. The air hostess blamed turbulence for causing the slippage of the container as she poured juice into a glass to hand to the passenger. Mr Bunumuring was given a dry-cleaning voucher and towel to clean himself up with. Upon return from the toilet where he had stripped off to try and wash out some of the orange colouring from his clothing, his travel companion was heard to snigger and comment about the lovely pattern on Mr Bunumuring's underpants, which was now clearly obvious through the soaked white material of his pants..."

Circa late 1980s...

allrite

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:46 am

bunumuring wrote:
"... and in further news, yesterday on the Ansett late afternoon Sydney-Adelaide Boeing 727 flight a certain Mr Bunumuring of NSW was completely drenched by the air hostess losing grip on a full container of orange juice being poured and served across his lap to his travelling companion in the window seat. Mr Bunumuring was completely drenched from his stomach down and was left with large orange stains on his pale blue shirt and white pants.

Gee, thanks for the imagery! You should definitely have sued someone for selling white pants to you. :)

In all seriousness though, the provision of hot drinks and pot noodles does fill me with fear at what may happen during unexpected turbulence. I know that hot beverage service is supposed to stop during turbulence, but having seen what the contents of a kettle whose handle suddenly snapped did to my mother's legs I would not wish it on anyone.

Economy seating is so tight these days that it wouldn't take much movement to dislodge a hot drink or soup. I try to discourage my wife from ordering any when we are flying with our kid.

I heard a first hand story from the late 80's/early 90's where the adult passenger was injured his knee when boarding a BA flight from Sydney to London. The flight attendant gave him a bag of dry ice or something similarly cold to place on the joint, giving him cold burns to his skin. He required skin grafts.

allrite

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:52 am

NSW Premier wants an aerotropolis for Badgery's Creek - A free economic zone around the airport to encourage technology industries to set up nearby.

BTW, anybody been watching Utopia on the ABC? :)

bunumuring

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:09 am

Hey allrite!
It was the 80s after all ... white pants, white shoes ...
Lol.
Crazy thing is I just bought a new pair of white pants a couple of weeks ago in a sale in Myer! Bought them because they looked so retro and I have a retro dinner coming up soon! I definitely won't tempt fate and wear them on my next flight however!
Cheers,
Bunumuring

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:36 am

Forum Moderator

bunumuring

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:45 am

Wow!
Thanks for sharing those pics qf789!
Do we know yet whether the name of the plane will be applied before delivery, or once it arrives in Australia? I can imagine QF making a fuss either way over the plane's name after the competition...
Cheers,
Bunumuring

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 am

bunumuring wrote:
Wow!
Thanks for sharing those pics qf789!
Do we know yet whether the name of the plane will be applied before delivery, or once it arrives in Australia? I can imagine QF making a fuss either way over the plane's name after the competition...
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Not sure yet, it will enter the paint shop soon so I guess once its out of the paint shop we will know one way or the either. I tend to think it will be revealed when it arrives in SYD
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 am

Apparently there was a incident aboard EK406 when it arrived into MEL this morning

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... c2077f8611
Forum Moderator

QF29

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 am

qf789 wrote:
Apparently there was a incident aboard EK406 when it arrived into MEL this morning

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... c2077f8611

It was a Hydraulic leak. Although EK407 was cancelled out of AKL it is still scheduled to depart on time out of MEL
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B717 B737-4/6/7/8/9 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8/9, Q-400 C172S, PA-28, Super Decathlon

smi0006

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 am

qf789 wrote:

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see the full paint and some interior shots!

RyanairGuru

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am

allrite wrote:

BTW, anybody been watching Utopia on the ABC? :)

Religiously!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:40 am

Here's -ZNA under better light ;)

EK413

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Update on JQ MEL-CGO

Will start from 9 Dec 17

JQ067 MEL1400 – 2130CGO 788 36
JQ068 CGO2300 – 1230+1MEL 788 36

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -dec-2017/
Forum Moderator

bunumuring

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Exciting times....
qf789, I agree that unveiling the name in Sydney/Melbourne is the most likely time and the most appropriate to garner as much additional publicity as possible...
What do you all think will be the first name?
I'm thinking it will be 'Dreamtime'.... although I bet the SECOND one to be delivered will be named 'Quokka' and operate the first Perth-London nonstop ...
Cheers
Bunumuring

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:07 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Exciting times....
qf789, I agree that unveiling the name in Sydney/Melbourne is the most likely time and the most appropriate to garner as much additional publicity as possible...
What do you all think will be the first name?
I'm thinking it will be 'Dreamtime'.... although I bet the SECOND one to be delivered will be named 'Quokka' and operate the first Perth-London nonstop ...
Cheers
Bunumuring

Well it could any of the 8 names chosen, I was thinking it could be Great Southern Land
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Qantas is expected to announce an ambitious plan to have flights from the east coast of Australia to New York and London in operation by 2022.

http://www.escape.com.au/news/qantas-to ... 3583739368
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Another article on non-stop flights to LHR and JFK

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-non-sto ... rk-by-2022

There is also a thread on the topic

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1372025
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Sounds like forward bookings on PER-LHR is doing well

Qantas is keen to develop more non-stop routes after the surge of bookings for the Perth to London Boeing 787 non-stop service that will start in March.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/qant ... bus-range/
Forum Moderator

anstar

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 pm

qf789 wrote:

Qantas is keen to develop more non-stop routes after the surge of bookings for the Perth to London Boeing 787 non-stop service that will start in March.

I'd hope so given its a downgrade from the A380.. so 50% less seats should mean higher loads!

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Qantas announces A380 refurbishment, beginning Q2 2019

Includes 27% increase in Premium seating

Overall configuration goes from 484 to 485

First class remains unchanged at 14
Business class will increase by 6 to 70
Premium Economy will increase by 25 to 60
Economy will be reduced by 30 to 341

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... 380-fleet/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Qantas announces second highest record profit

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... al-result/

Underlying Profit before Tax $1.401 billion
Statutory Profit before tax $1.181 billion
Qantas Domestic $645 million underlying EBIT, up $67 million
Qantas International $327 million underlying EBIT, down $185 million
Qantas Freight $47 million underlying EBIT, down $17 million
Jetstar Group $417 million underlying EBIT, down $35 million
Qantas Loyalty $369 million underlying EBIT, up $23 million
Transformation saw $470 million in benefits delivered for 16/17
Over transformation benefits delivered $125 million more than $2 billion target
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Qantas Melbourne Domestic Business and Qantas Club Lounge to receive major upgrade starting in November and expected to take about a year to complete

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... c-lounges/
Forum Moderator

A330freak

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:18 pm

qf789 wrote:
Qantas announces second highest record profit

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... al-result/

Also in the press release, QF will refit the 2 A330s that didn't previously get refitted.
New lounges at both ends of the landmark Perth-London route will be completed during FY18, and two remaining A330s will have their cabins upgraded following lease extensions.

MooLor

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:30 pm

anstar wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I'd hope so given its a downgrade from the A380.. so 50% less seats should mean higher loads!

I am intensely curious to hear Y passengers' thoughts on 17 or 18 hours in the back of a QF 787, once the non-stops have begun. (And so are many people over Mascot way with a lot more at stake I'll bet!) Will Y passengers be willing to come back for more? Quite a step down from the A380, but what % of them would have previously flown on a QF A380 anyway?

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 am

Forum Moderator

smi0006

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 am

New MEL lounge renders look great. 10% capacity for QF club seems small though.

I'd imagine SYD domestic will come in FY19. I believe international airports are negotiating ageeements with international airlines perhaps whilst no new for the internationals in SYD/MEL, AKL is under going significant terminal works. Otherwise their lounge network is impressive. Some decent investments in all key customer areas.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos