Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkncj

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2017

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:03 am

smi0006 wrote:
New MEL lounge renders look great. 10% capacity for QF club seems small though.

I'd imagine SYD domestic will come in FY19. I believe international airports are negotiating ageeements with international airlines perhaps whilst no new for the internationals in SYD/MEL, AKL is under going significant terminal works. Otherwise their lounge network is impressive. Some decent investments in all key customer areas.

QF did say about two years back now that AKL was meant to be getting an new lounge, that was to be like SIN. Yet it still hasn't happened, its been nearly two years since NZ moved there Lounge in AKL so there is space right next to QF's Lounge.

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 am

MooLor wrote:
anstar wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Sounds like forward bookings on PER-LHR is doing well

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/qant ... bus-range/

I'd hope so given its a downgrade from the A380.. so 50% less seats should mean higher loads!

I am intensely curious to hear Y passengers' thoughts on 17 or 18 hours in the back of a QF 787, once the non-stops have begun. (And so are many people over Mascot way with a lot more at stake I'll bet!) Will Y passengers be willing to come back for more? Quite a step down from the A380, but what % of them would have previously flown on a QF A380 anyway?

LAX-MEL eastbound pushes 15 hours, and that is my only 787 flight so far. The aircraft generally, and the economy seats specifically, were drastically better than the 'spacious' 9 abreast 777s that UA was flying to SYD at the time. I would have no qualms flying 17 hours on one.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MooLor

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:17 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
MooLor wrote:
anstar wrote:
I'd hope so given its a downgrade from the A380.. so 50% less seats should mean higher loads!

I am intensely curious to hear Y passengers' thoughts on 17 or 18 hours in the back of a QF 787, once the non-stops have begun. (And so are many people over Mascot way with a lot more at stake I'll bet!) Will Y passengers be willing to come back for more? Quite a step down from the A380, but what % of them would have previously flown on a QF A380 anyway?

LAX-MEL eastbound pushes 15 hours, and that is my only 787 flight so far. The aircraft generally, and the economy seats specifically, were drastically better than the 'spacious' 9 abreast 777s that UA was flying to SYD at the time. I would have no qualms flying 17 hours on one.

Not having a go at you - I've never flown on a 787. But I have flown a 10-abreast EK 777 and it was tight - my petite wife even noticed, asked that I not book EK again. We did LAX return on DL nine-abreast 777 and it was noticeably roomier than EK.

According to seat map websites, 10-abreast 777 and nine-abreast 787 have similar seat widths - 17 / 17.3 inch. Nine abreast 777 are 18 inches. That's just looking at two airlines. It's not so much the seat width as such though for me, it's the amount of room for my shoulders. That inch or so makes a difference.

I have noticed a lot of negative comments re 787 Y around the 'net - seat map websites, airline review website, and sites such as this: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/01/22/opinion-why-i-tell-people-to-avoid-flying-on-a-787/#comments. Ben Sandilands is certainly no fan either.

So as I say, intensely curious. 17 or 18 hours is a long time to be literally rubbing shoulders with your neighbours. QF have a lot more than just this first ULH route riding on that being accepted as 'normal' by their passengers.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:34 pm

With Qantas pushing forward with SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK along with other routes being suggested what's everyone's view of how the QF/EK alliance will progress once these routes have started? The QF/EK alliance would mark 10 years in 2023
Forum Moderator

n729pa

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm

qf789 wrote:
With Qantas pushing forward with SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK along with other routes being suggested what's everyone's view of how the QF/EK alliance will progress once these routes have started? The QF/EK alliance would mark 10 years in 2023

Hi QF789

Personally I can see a two-tier level of service.

Top Tier
1) The QF direct non-stop flights are a premium fare - the exclusivity of the non-stop flight and restricted payloads limited to 300 passengers or whatever it comes to,make these flights almost a bit elite. You wont get too many backpackers or families travelling on these flights, and they will be aimed at the business travellers, high end FF or those willing to pay an extra couple of hundred pounds/dollars to avoid a stopover.

2nd Tier
2a) From Europe - The EK A380s for the masses via DXB at the competitive end of the market.
2b) From the US - I think they will maintain their A380s to LAX/DFW as they've got nowhere to stop at anywhere in between, but with the suggestions of CHI, NYC non-stop coming on, these too would the premium service/fares. For the cheaper flights you connect over DFW or LAX as you would do now, to help fill the A380.

I don't think Qantas will comprise on the value of Service (unlike some carriers I could mention), so they won't pack the ULH flights like sardines, however we will have to pay a bit more for that privilege.

I can't see that the QF/EK alliance will break up, as unless they are planning to operate three or four flights per day to say London, they will I think loose a lot of passengers otherwise through the simple lack of seats. So the best thing for them I think is to keep in with EK, filter the "cheaper" customers off on to EK services instead. It's also important for QF to keep the customers "in house" so to speak too, as their domestic market also feeds off the international flights. QF don't want EK doing a new deal say with VA, and then turning over their customers to them once they arrive in Australia.

What I would be interested to know though is, how many people get on the flight in LHR, get off in SYD or MEL presently? And vice versa. When ever I fly these routes the flights are pretty busy with few spare seats, but I more often than not, get a change of seating companions from DXB. So there seems to be a reasonable percentage changing flights or stopping over in DXB.

Personally speaking, as a privately funded traveller I would hate a situation where the ULH flights are marked with a premium, leaving me with a choice of Emirates (no thank you really), as a QF FF member. I would either desert the OW alliance, but since BA is my home carrier a bit difficult to do, or I would be forced onto QR, CX, MH alternatives instead of the EK cattle buses.

MooLor

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:58 am

^^ The question for me though, is what's in it for EK once the alliance comes up for renewal? Do they get to fly more flights into Australia because of the alliance, or can they fly that many regardless?

If they can fly that many regardless, why do they need QF once QF have stopped feeding them A380-loads of passengers? QF haven't stopped yet, but they are certainly reducing.

redroo

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:08 am

EK gets access to QFs substantial frequent flier base

TN486

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 am

Congrats all, record number of posts in any one month on the Aussie monthly thread, and a bit of useless info, yesterday Aug 25 I celebrated turning 70 years of age (and even more importantly, have now qualified for a DVA Gold Card). The only downer was the Bulldogs (AFL) not making the finals series this year.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:45 am

TN486 wrote:
Congrats all, record number of posts in any one month on the Aussie monthly thread, and a bit of useless info, yesterday Aug 25 I celebrated turning 70 years of age (and even more importantly, have now qualified for a DVA Gold Card). The only downer was the Bulldogs (AFL) not making the finals series this year.

TN486, from everyone here on the Australian thread Happy 70th Birthday for yesterday. From an aviation prospective and I know you are big Qantas fan you couldn't think of a better way to celebrate with the roll out of the first Qantas 789 plus the group results in the past 2 days.

I would also like to acknowledge everyone who contributes to this thread, without your contributions it wouldn't be what it is today. Over the past few months posts have increased month on month and we seen new users join our discussion, I would also encourage anyone reading this who is not a user to sign up and join the discussion. Currently we are the #1 country/state thread for contributions/posts so well done to everyone. I would also like to make note being a moderator I sometimes refer other users to read this thread along with the NZ one as everyone on here can debate an issue whether they agree or not without getting personal, if you have read some of the threads on US airlines you will know what I mean.

Moving forward the next exciting chapter in Australian Aviation and most particularly for Qantas is the arrival of the 787-9. I am seriously considering going to SYD for the arrival, who else is planning to be at SYD for its arrival? I personally thing think that the 20th of October will go down as an important day in QF's history. It is going to mark a new chapter in the way Australian's will travel. Both the 789 along with the 777x or A359ULR will redefine the Qantas route map and in the next 5 years it will be very different to what it is today.
Forum Moderator

redroo

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:12 am

@qf789 +1

redroo

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:18 am

What about poor old BNE? All the talk has been about PER-LHR and the holy grail of SYD MEL to LHR. Will we ever be able to stand in LHR, look at the departure board and see...

1200 QF2. Sydney gate 31
1205 QF10 Melbourne gate 32
1205 QF6 Perth gate 33
1210 QF4 Brisbane gate 34

(Fake flight numbers!)

EK413

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:44 am

redroo wrote:
What about poor old BNE? All the talk has been about PER-LHR and the holy grail of SYD MEL to LHR. Will we ever be able to stand in LHR, look at the departure board and see...

1200 QF2. Sydney gate 31
1205 QF6 Perth gate 33

(Fake flight numbers!)

BNE was mentioned in the Ausbt article ;) Would appear the editor forgot about Brissy Vegas in the subtitle :(
With plans to serve LHR direct from the East coast would surprise me ADL get a piece of that pie eventually if the numbers stack up.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 am

EK413 wrote:
redroo wrote:

1200 QF2. Sydney gate 31
1205 QF6 Perth gate 33

(Fake flight numbers!)

BNE was mentioned in the Ausbt article ;) Would appear the editor forgot about Brissy Vegas in the subtitle :(
With plans to serve LHR direct from the East coast would surprise me ADL get a piece of that pie eventually if the numbers stack up.

EK413

Yes agree there is certainly a lot of potential in the future
Forum Moderator

Bluebird191

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am

EK413 wrote:
redroo wrote:

1200 QF2. Sydney gate 31
1205 QF6 Perth gate 33

(Fake flight numbers!)

EK413

QF would need an extra slot pair at LHR for the 5 Aussie cities - they currently use 2, with other 2 being leased to BA IIRC. They can call in the 2 leased slot pairs, but getting an extra pair may be too expensive for QF to consider?

EK413

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:20 am

Bluebird191 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
redroo wrote:

1200 QF2. Sydney gate 31
1205 QF6 Perth gate 33

(Fake flight numbers!)

EK413

QF would need an extra slot pair at LHR for the 5 Aussie cities - they currently use 2, with other 2 being leased to BA IIRC. They can call in the 2 leased slot pairs, but getting an extra pair may be too expensive for QF to consider?

Hmm, I know the relationship with BA isn't what it used to be when QF/BA had the JSA but I'm sure BA would be in a position to help out considering they have large majority of the slots at LHR.

EK413

redroo

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Is there enough traffic to sustain a BNE LHR ?

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:46 pm

redroo wrote:
Is there enough traffic to sustain a BNE LHR ?

Going off last year's census Queensland has a higher number of people born in England than Victoria

Listed below is the top 5 for NSW,VIC,QLD,WA and SA

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D33101 ... 20Pictures

WA
England
New Zealand
India
South Africa
Philippines

NSW
China (excludes SARs and Taiwan)
England
India
New Zealand
Philippines

VIC
England
India
New Zealand
Vietnam

QLD
New Zealand
England
India
South Africa

SA
England
India
Italy
Vietnam
Forum Moderator

Airgirl59

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Are there going to be new routes for the Qantas a380s ?

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Airgirl59 wrote:
Are there going to be new routes for the Qantas a380s ?

Once MEL-DXB-LHR ends they will end up being deployed on existing Asian routes most likely SYD-HKG, MEL-HKG, SYD/MEL-SIN. Would not be surprised to see them deployed on PVG/PEK during CNY as well in 2019
Forum Moderator

ADL77W

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:39 pm

qf789 wrote:
TN486 wrote:

TN486, from everyone here on the Australian thread Happy 70th Birthday for yesterday. From an aviation prospective and I know you are big Qantas fan you couldn't think of a better way to celebrate with the roll out of the first Qantas 789 plus the group results in the past 2 days.

I would also like to acknowledge everyone who contributes to this thread, without your contributions it wouldn't be what it is today. Over the past few months posts have increased month on month and we seen new users join our discussion, I would also encourage anyone reading this who is not a user to sign up and join the discussion. Currently we are the #1 country/state thread for contributions/posts so well done to everyone. I would also like to make note being a moderator I sometimes refer other users to read this thread along with the NZ one as everyone on here can debate an issue whether they agree or not without getting personal, if you have read some of the threads on US airlines you will know what I mean.

Moving forward the next exciting chapter in Australian Aviation and most particularly for Qantas is the arrival of the 787-9. I am seriously considering going to SYD for the arrival, who else is planning to be at SYD for its arrival? I personally thing think that the 20th of October will go down as an important day in QF's history. It is going to mark a new chapter in the way Australian's will travel. Both the 789 along with the 777x or A359ULR will redefine the Qantas route map and in the next 5 years it will be very different to what it is today.

Well I've stalked this forum for probably 10 years now.
I'm ADL based and would love to hear what others think of our international ambitions going forward (i.e what services may come our way in the near future). Recently we've seen CZ begin services (and quickly upguage and increase seasonally), FJ begin, CX increase flights and NZ are about to introduce their 787-9. CX and CZ are both really well patronised and I could see more flights to China in the near future (more CX and CZ services and maybe China Eastern??), but what really fascinates me is the ongoing battle between QR and EK. These flights are packed in peak periods, but loads are often around 50-65% for much of the year. I realise loads aren't everything (but tickets are still often cheap even last minute), but am curious what others think will happen here long term. Is their room for both of them in the ADL market? Will QR's return to daily flights in Dec be sustainable? Would love to know your thoughts!

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:56 pm

ADL77W wrote:
I'm ADL based and would love to hear what others think of our international ambitions going forward (i.e what services may come our way in the near future). Recently we've seen CZ begin services (and quickly upguage and increase seasonally), FJ begin, CX increase flights and NZ are about to introduce their 787-9. CX and CZ are both really well patronised and I could see more flights to China in the near future (more CX and CZ services and maybe China Eastern??), but what really fascinates me is the ongoing battle between QR and EK. These flights are packed in peak periods, but loads are often around 50-65% for much of the year. I realise loads aren't everything (but tickets are still often cheap even last minute), but am curious what others think will happen here long term. Is their room for both of them in the ADL market? Will QR's return to daily flights in Dec be sustainable? Would love to know your thoughts!

Welcome aboard. AirAsiaX is planning to resume ADL in the next 6-8 months. In relation to EK & QR if EK orders the 789 along with the 787-10 or the A359 I think it is possible we could see the 789/A359 operated to ADL. The 2nd flight to PER has been suffering for the past year and think something similar could be done there as well
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:58 am

Airport chiefs to meet in CBR this week to discuss proposed security measures

Airport chiefs have fears that the proposed ID checks for domestic flights will cause passengers to queue up outside terminals making them sitting ducks for a terrorist attack. Instead airport chiefs will push for state of the art scanning equipment similar to what is used overseas which ensures luggage is safe before it goes on to an aircraft

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 583873f4cc
Forum Moderator

Flyingsottsman

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 am

TN486 wrote:

Many happy returns to you hope you had a great day. yes the Bulldogs were the big disappointment tis year, my team Carlton didn't even get close :roll: but a happy 70th birthday to you.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 am

ADL77W wrote:
qf789 wrote:
TN486 wrote:

I can see maybe MU start services to Shanghai, that's about all I can see at the moment.

Flyingsottsman

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 am

qf789 wrote:
Airport chiefs to meet in CBR this week to discuss proposed security measures

Airport chiefs have fears that the proposed ID checks for domestic flights will cause passengers to queue up outside terminals making them sitting ducks for a terrorist attack. Instead airport chiefs will push for state of the art scanning equipment similar to what is used overseas which ensures luggage is safe before it goes on to an aircraft

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 583873f4cc

I thought going back 10 or more years ago now, when you brought a ticket on line or if someone interstate booked a ticket for you and when you went to the airport to get the boarding pass and catch the flight you had to show ID like you drivers licence for ID, I don't think passengers will be queuing up out side the terminal, I mean if you are going international and when you check your bags in now you have to show your passport, maybe now domestic passengers will have to show their drivers Licence or some other form of ID. I just hope we don't get to the stage of the US airports where people cant even go down to the date to see love ones of or greet them coming of the plane in Domestic.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 am

Just a thought.

With the interior upgrades of the A380's almost dedicated to the upper deck, it could be the case the lower deck could be upgraded with eleven abreast economy seating in future

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:16 am

travelhound wrote:
Just a thought.

With the interior upgrades of the A380's almost dedicated to the upper deck, it could be the case the lower deck could be upgraded with eleven abreast economy seating in future

I guess that's always possible considering in another 5 years half of the fleet could be dedicated to Asia flying
Forum Moderator

EK413

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:25 am

qf789 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Just a thought.

I guess that's always possible considering in another 5 years half of the fleet could be dedicated to Asia flying

Only problem QF stopped selling F/C to Asia with exception of HKG and even when the A380 operates F/C isn't sold on the route.

EK414

bunumuring

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 am

Hey guys,
TN486, happy birthday mate!
qf789, congrats to you too for being such an informative, 'moderate' moderator (if that makes sense!?!?!) I plan on being at SYD for Dreamliner #1 and will be booking a hotel room closer to the date (just in case the delivery date gets changed!)
We really do have a great sense of community in this thread I feel.

... And as for footy, argh Manly!!!

Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

vhebb

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:21 pm

My prediction....

EBG/EBL will be upgraded to domestic config with existing IFE ripped out and ipads in Y. Simply to expensive to fit new Y seats/IFE and crew rest etc.

The 2 spare A380s will operate SYD-HKG and MEL-HKG daily, thus freeing up an A333 to take over the PEK flying from EBG/EBL, even with the payload restriction the A333s will still offer more seats per flight then the current EBG/EBL config.

Having the A380s to HKG daily from both SYD and MEL will combat VAs expansion etc.

Thoughts?

qf002

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 pm

travelhound wrote:

I don't think QF would be able to fill the extra seats for enough of the year to make the investment worthwhile.

smi0006

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 pm

vhebb wrote:
My prediction....

EBG/EBL will be upgraded to domestic config with existing IFE ripped out and ipads in Y. Simply to expensive to fit new Y seats/IFE and crew rest etc.

The 2 spare A380s will operate SYD-HKG and MEL-HKG daily, thus freeing up an A333 to take over the PEK flying from EBG/EBL, even with the payload restriction the A333s will still offer more seats per flight then the current EBG/EBL config.

Having the A380s to HKG daily from both SYD and MEL will combat VAs expansion etc.

Thoughts?

I agree with the 380s to HKG, but out of SYD, would NRT/HND be an option? Would they offer F consistently on the route?

What's the benefit of the 330s becoming domestic? Was the rumour they would reconfigure a number to international?

vhebb

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:07 pm

To configure a few A332s to pure international with proper crew rest will require a decent investment of capital and would have been announced in the financial results last week.

HND switching to A380 requires both frames to operate daily.

ben175

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:09 pm

I just flew PER-MEL on VA and it seems VA's catering gets worse every time I fly with them. I felt like I was eating a $2.50 frozen meal from 7-11. Abysmal in comparison to what QF offers Y pax these days.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:11 pm

vhebb wrote:
To configure a few A332s to pure international with proper crew rest will require a decent investment of capital and would have been announced in the financial results last week.

Yes plus A380's are not permitted to operate at HND during daytime hours, granted that probably doesn't affect QF schedules. If Japan continues to grow I would not be surprised to see QF operate a second flight from SYD of which could go to NRT

Is there any word when EBG and EBL will be reconfigured?
Forum Moderator

jupiter2

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm

vhebb wrote:

380s are not permitted into HND and QF are not going to go back to NRT with the SYD flight. There isn't any need for the 380 to Japan at this stage anyway.

eamondzhang

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:28 pm

vhebb wrote:
My prediction....

Thoughts?

They did that with A333s, ripping the old Y seat + IFE and install the new one. Since QF wanted some international (read: long haul) A332s and EBG/L already have the crew rest in place, I think it makes more sense for them to get the full IFE for the whole plane so they can be rostered on those longest A330 flights for QF.

For MEL-HKG they seems to have issues filling up the whole 744 during quieter period, so I doubt they will put A380s year round. I do agree with SYD-HKG (and PEK's A333 perdiction) though.

Again I may be wrong, just my thoughts.

Cheers
Michael

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm

MF to add XMN-HGH-MEL from 16 Dec 17, 2 weekly

MF813 XMN1645 – 1815HGH2015 – 0945+1MEL 788 36
MF814 MEL1135 – 1905HGH2105 – 2245XMN 788 47

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -dec-2017/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 pm

VA24 LAX-MEL has diverted to HNL (VH-VPE). From what I can work out it arrived in HNL just after midnight. According to FR24 there is a 18 hour delay, expected to depart HNL at 1830 local time
Forum Moderator

Whatsaptudo

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:25 pm

vhebb wrote:
My prediction....

Thoughts?

Those aircraft already have a pilots crew rest. Are you talking about a cabin crew rest or something?

LamboAston

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:35 pm

qf789 wrote:
VA24 LAX-MEL has diverted to HNL (VH-VPE). From what I can work out it arrived in HNL just after midnight. According to FR24 there is a 18 hour delay, expected to depart HNL at 1830 local time

Medical or mechanical?
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

ZK-NBT

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:31 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
vhebb wrote:
My prediction....

Thoughts?

Those aircraft already have a pilots crew rest. Are you talking about a cabin crew rest or something?

Did they also have a cabin crew rest? They were used on AKL-LAX those 2 frames.

There was defiantly mention on 6 A332's by a member recently for long haul reconfiguration, it was initially mentioned some months back.

Not sure on A333's to PEK personally, they do go 1-2 weekly ATM, what are the loads like?

MEL-HKG for QF maybe a seasonal A380 like the 744?

I mentioned HND for the A380 but QF, I believe with QF's schedule they could do it as it arrives and departs in darkness early am late pm.

Ditzyboy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 am

vhebb wrote:

Word on the street is six of the current inseat video A332 (domestic) will receive expanded galleys, a proper tech crew rest and an extra toilet in business class.

I don't know what is happening with EBG/L. Probably standard domestic config with iPads?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 am

LamboAston wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Medical or mechanical?

From what I read medical, apparently passengers were put into hotels to allow crew to rest hence the 18 hour delay
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 am

All of the discussion on where the QF fleet is only perhaps for the next 2-3 years. Once a new order of 789s is announced, this will all change again...

EK413

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:59 am

Ditzyboy wrote:
vhebb wrote:

Word on the street is six of the current inseat video A332 (domestic) will receive expanded galleys, a proper tech crew rest and an extra toilet in business class.

I don't know what is happening with EBG/L. Probably standard domestic config with iPads?

Based on the announcement Golf & Lima would be reconfigured with Suites & the updated economy class IFE.

EK413

redroo

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:06 am

Re QFA330 I will never understand why they went for a domestic and an international configuration. Having a consistent product, seating, galleys, etc across the fleet would have simplified operations and enabled the aircraft to switch seamlessly from a domestic to an international flight.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:05 am

Qantas restructures leadership team from November

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... ship-team/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:28 am

redroo wrote:
Re QFA330 I will never understand why they went for a domestic and an international configuration. Having a consistent product, seating, galleys, etc across the fleet would have simplified operations and enabled the aircraft to switch seamlessly from a domestic to an international flight.

Though I don't disagree to put things in perspective back when the A330 refurbish were first announced (3 years ago) the domestic market was different to what it is now. In the past year or so we have seen both China and Japan markets grow to the point where they are 2 biggest growth countries from/to Australia. The majority of the A330 frames from domestic have gone into these markets. At the time it couldn't really be predicted how both the domestic market and international markets would grow. Here is something published today about the A330 domestic coast to Coast services comparing what the traffic was like 2 years ago to now.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-vs-virg ... st-flights
Forum Moderator

qf002

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 am

redroo wrote:

They do only have one configuration, the problem is that it's geared towards domestic rather than international. They were already losing a big chunk of seats to make space for the new J (going from 300+ to 271) so to then dedicate even more space across the entire fleet for larger galleys, more toilets, crew rest etc when the primary role of the -200s is for domestic services didn't make sense.

Many of us on here foresaw the need for some international -200s but QF was more interested in saving a few pennies which means they either have to spend more now to make their fleet work for their network (ideally I think they would prefer to have more -300s and a smaller -200 fleet) or just hope that passengers will put up with a poorer experience for the next decade until the A330s are replaced.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos