Re: What's next for Spirit?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 am

Do you see Spirit starting service to CMH or CVG

ADrum23

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 am

doulasc wrote:

Eventually, but I think they will launch STL, IND, BNA and RDU first.

flymco753

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:53 am

ADrum23 wrote:
doulasc wrote:

CVG is less likely than CMH because of F9's stronghold, but it's going to be a while even before CMH, there's gaps in NK's network that need to be pressed out first.

UWPAviation

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:58 am

I would love to see them come into MKE and compete on west coast routes since that's what we are lacking. Mainly to LAX and SFO which we currently have nothing to SFO which is a shame. I understand Spirit doesn't fly to SFO but just to the bay area would be nice

AWACSooner

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
How about NK serving Oklahoma City and Tulsa with flights to FLL, LAS and other leisure destinations?

We've already got G4 and F9 serving OKC...we don't need NK.

Now, what's next for Spirit?

How about the following:
1. Begin charging for pax to use the under-seat storage area
2. Begin charging for pax to use the lav for more than 2 minutes at a time
3. Begin charging pax $5 just to check in at home and print off their own boarding passes...kind of like some event ticket companies do
4. Begin charging pax $10 per ticket if they're not members of their FF club
5. Begin treating pax like human beings instead of endless sources of income (for starters, dumping that bullshit "unintended consequences of DOT regulations" fee).
Or, they can always do what I hope they do:
6. Go under

Balloonchaser

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:50 am

I think Spirit will come back to KISP airport on Long Island.

zackary747

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm

When does Spirit usually do schedule extensions? Is there a set date for their next one?

AASAP777

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Probably I can see, in my home turf, the SAP-FLL becoming daily to become a stronger competitor for AV and AA (who go to MIA, however, FLL is a choice for the price sensitive market here in Honduras). The SAP-IAH market has managed to stay and giving UA a hard time on that route, even with a frequency of three times a week.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:21 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
How about NK serving Oklahoma City and Tulsa with flights to FLL, LAS and other leisure destinations?

How about the following:
3. Begin charging pax $5 just to check in at home and print off their own boarding passes...kind of like some event ticket companies do
5. Begin treating pax like human beings instead of endless sources of income (for starters, dumping that bullshit "unintended consequences of DOT regulations" fee).
6. Go under

As somebody who worked for NK for two years until recently, I certainly hope they do not go under. Just because you disagree with their business model, thousands of people should lose their jobs and their income? The fact is that many people enjoy flying Spirit, because they know how to save money within Spirit's business structure. The way our society has been conditioned as of late means that people love posting about their bad experiences with a company but don't bother doing it for the positive ones, so just because you rarely hear about positive experiences does not mean they don't exist. But I appreciate your humor with the fees. :-)

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:24 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
NK is doing very well in BDL since starting service there. Rumors of BWI-BDL, DTW-BDL and possibly another city from BDL are coming soon. Heard that NK is going up to 12 flights a day to BDL, makes sense. Their MYR flight has had a 95% LF since they started it.

I'd love to see NK expand BDL. It seems that every route they add from there does well (LF-wise, atleast). The MYR flight went from 4-weekly to daily after less than a month (don't quote me on the exact timeframe) and from what I heard from my BDL passengers, they're thrilled to have Spirit in town, especially those who were driving to BOS/LGA previously to fly out.

AWACSooner

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 pm

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
Just because you disagree with their business model, thousands of people should lose their jobs and their income?

Hate to say it, but it happens all the time...

Midwestindy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:16 pm

zackary747 wrote:
When does Spirit usually do schedule extensions? Is there a set date for their next one?

They don't have extensions per say, for example their schedule is bookable until October 10, 2018.....

zackary747

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

They don't have extensions per say, for example their schedule is bookable until October 10, 2018.....

When I go to their site it only says June 17, 2018. Actually physically click the book button. A pop up should appear for anything after 6/17.

Midwestindy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

When I go to their site it only says June 17, 2018. Actually physically click the book button. A pop up should appear for anything after 6/17.

You are right I didn't hit the Book button, although it does say "SCHEDULES FOR TRAVEL BEYOND THAT DATE WILL BE LOADED IN THE NEAR FUTURE."

santi319

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:28 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
Just because you disagree with their business model, thousands of people should lose their jobs and their income?

Hate to say it, but it happens all the time...

Unfortunately for you, the unrestricted $1 Billion cash means they are not going anywhere, so I suggest you cover your eyes everytime you see the yellow money making machine. And also stay away from Spirit threads...

zackary747

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

You are right I didn't hit the Book button, although it does say "SCHEDULES FOR TRAVEL BEYOND THAT DATE WILL BE LOADED IN THE NEAR FUTURE."

That is correct. My question is, what does soon mean to them? Do they just put that there when its not truly soon? Although, realistically July 2018 schedules would be released sooner than later.

SANFan

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:12 pm

It's looking like SAN to DEN and SJD are gone for good. SAN-DEN was gone from the Sept 7 schedule and I don't find it back again, even next summer. (It's also disappeared from the route map.)

SAN-SJD "seasonally" ends 11/8, and despite the note that says it returns in mid-April, I don't find any flights in 2018. I assume it's still on the route map since it op's for about another month. I think this drop may be linked to the fact that WN is now in the market; if I remember correctly, WN also chased NK out of the SAN-PDX market a few years back...

Even DFW looks like it remains seasonal from SAN next year even though it's not tied in with Cabo service any more. If NK can't even fly one year-round r/t between SAN and DFW, then, well, good luck to them.

On the positive side, it looks like a third SAN-LAS flight is being added next year... If that's the good news from Spirit for SAN, then I'm not real thrilled.

I was hoping to see NK add a couple of markets from SDIA such as DTW and MSY. With them dropping routes lately, I've lost any serious thoughts of anything new being added here...

bb

dabpit

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 pm

I would like to see NK add one or a few of these routes PIT-BDL/MSP/BWI/MSY/OAK and MCO-MDT/ABE/ROC/ALB/PTY/BOG. NK really needs some more destinations in the Midwest.

SCHATC422

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 pm

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
NK is doing very well in BDL since starting service there. Rumors of BWI-BDL, DTW-BDL and possibly another city from BDL are coming soon. Heard that NK is going up to 12 flights a day to BDL, makes sense. Their MYR flight has had a 95% LF since they started it.

I'd love to see NK expand BDL. It seems that every route they add from there does well (LF-wise, atleast). The MYR flight went from 4-weekly to daily after less than a month (don't quote me on the exact timeframe) and from what I heard from my BDL passengers, they're thrilled to have Spirit in town, especially those who were driving to BOS/LGA previously to fly out.

Same here. Being from BDL but living in the Baltimore area now, it would be nice to have a second carrier to fly home to BDL on and get some variety. Some of my old colleagues I worked with at my old job at BDL said they hear that NK is going up to 12 flights/day at BDL, so it makes sense if they add 3 BWI, 2 DTW and maybe something else from BDL. We shall see soon... anyone know when NK could announce new routes or the new schedule?

flymco753

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:58 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:

Same here. Being from BDL but living in the Baltimore area now, it would be nice to have a second carrier to fly home to BDL on and get some variety. Some of my old colleagues I worked with at my old job at BDL said they hear that NK is going up to 12 flights/day at BDL, so it makes sense if they add 3 BWI, 2 DTW and maybe something else from BDL. We shall see soon... anyone know when NK could announce new routes or the new schedule?
Generally NK extends but doesn't announce in extensions, the last extension is a placeholder basically. Someone told me NK wants to be over 30 departures next summer for DTW, that's easily a daily BDL, SAN and PHX for existing stations.

FLYKTPA

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:13 pm

flymco753 wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:

Generally NK extends but doesn't announce in extensions, the last extension is a placeholder basically. Someone told me NK wants to be over 30 departures next summer for DTW, that's easily a daily BDL, SAN and PHX for existing stations.

I hope they can finally make DTW-TPA daily during the Summer. The market can certainly support more then 4x weekly from NK during that period.
Last edited by FLYKTPA on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klm617

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

How about the following:
6. Go under

As somebody who worked for NK for two years until recently, I certainly hope they do not go under. Just because you disagree with their business model, thousands of people should lose their jobs and their income? The fact is that many people enjoy flying Spirit, because they know how to save money within Spirit's business structure. The way our society has been conditioned as of late means that people love posting about their bad experiences with a company but don't bother doing it for the positive ones, so just because you rarely hear about positive experiences does not mean they don't exist. But I appreciate your humor with the fees. :-)

I think these things could be said about airline by any passenger flying coach in this day and age. This is what we have come to know as common practice in the airlines industries because of all the consolidation that was allowed to happen.n this. I experience the same flying Delta.

flymco753

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:41 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:

I hope they can finally make DTW-TPA daily during the Summer. The market can certainly support more then 4x weekly from NK during that period.
It's scheduled daily along with RSW as of now and 2 different aircraft types, there's an extra A319 rotating through DTW which would make sense if it did BDL.

FLYKTPA

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:47 pm

flymco753 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

It's scheduled daily along with RSW as of now and 2 different aircraft types, there's an extra A319 rotating through DTW which would make sense if it did BDL.

AWESOME!

jplatts

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm

flymco753 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
CVG is less likely than CMH because of F9's stronghold, but it's going to be a while even before CMH, there's gaps in NK's network that need to be pressed out first.

In addition to Frontier's significant presence at CVG, Southwest started service out of CVG back on June 4th, and Southwest could also add nonstop service to additional destinations out of CVG. Allegiant also has a significant presence at CVG with nonstop service to 19 vacation destinations out of CVG. There is no need for Spirit to serve CVG since Southwest can add nonstop service to additional destinations out of CVG and since Frontier and/or Allegiant already have nonstop service from CVG to most of the destinations that Spirit would be serving nonstop from CVG if it chooses to start service out of CVG.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:

I wouldn't get your hopes up on frequencies that high. I see maximum one daily flight for DTW and/or BWI if they're started. Very few NK routes have three flights (the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are FLL-LGA/EWR/BWI and the upcoming third flight on LAS-SAN). Unless it's a trunk route like those, don't expect more than one flight to start, with a possible second being added if the first one does well.

SCHATC422

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:12 am

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:

I wouldn't get your hopes up on frequencies that high. I see maximum one daily flight for DTW and/or BWI if they're started. Very few NK routes have three flights (the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are FLL-LGA/EWR/BWI and the upcoming third flight on LAS-SAN). Unless it's a trunk route like those, don't expect more than one flight to start, with a possible second being added if the first one does well.

While you may be right, NK is at only 4 or 5 flights a day right now. NK would give WN good competition on BWI-BDL at least twice a day, if not 3 times a day. Could have a morning, afternoon and evening flight and do just fine with room to build on it. DTW I agree would probably be once or maybe twice a day if that, but other cities could be considered from BDL such as possibly ORD, DFW or LAS.

flymco753

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:47 am

MesaFlyGuy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:

DTW-LAS and MCO is 3x daily each. MCO-DTW is 4x in the winter.

masseybrown

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 am

NK's CEO Fornaro said at the last conf. call that he was doing a top down review and he suggested analysts look for the results to start to appear in November. As a preview the investor forecast from August said that any new flying would be on routes with a minimum of 150 pax PDEW. I don't know if the 150 is the existing market or the projected market after NK stimulation. Either way, small stuff doesn't appear to be what they're shooting for.

FLYKTPA

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 am

It’s looks like that they will be getting 6 new aircraft in Q1 2018. I assume a bunch of new routes have yet to be announced. Source: Q2 2017 Earnings Call

flymco753

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:20 pm

They’re definitely shying away from the FL market at this point and doing what Spirit does. By the way DTW sand BWI-BDL are both well over 150 PDEW.

FLYKTPA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 pm

“Spirit to add three new destinations in coming year”
“Two mid-sized US cities and one international, from FLL”
https://mobile.twitter.com/e_russell/st ... 3628880832
https://mobile.twitter.com/ghimlay/stat ... 1900558337

Jshank83

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:

I figure it doesn't say the actual cities in the article but it would be interesting to see what it says. I tried to access it and couldn't figure it out.

FLYKTPA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

I figure it doesn't say the actual cities in the article but it would be interesting to see what it says. I tried to access it and couldn't figure it out.

Those articles are locked and require some sort of premium subscription.

ADrum23

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 am

FLYKTPA wrote:

IMO, the top candidates for these new cities are AUS, BNA, RDU, IND and STL.

Midwestindy

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:44 am

ADrum23 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

Pretty confident the three are STL, IND, and UIO

flymco753

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 am

I think it’s AUS and STL over IND, but that’s just speculation.

santi319

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 am

UIO redeye is a no brainer, could be CLO too since NK loves Colombia.... Far fetched MAO or GYE

ADrum23

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:03 am

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

That would make sense. However, several people on here (iflyDTW and flymco753) have been insisting they are closing in on BNA (how credible those claims are is another story), so I’d say replace STL with BNA and I’d agree.

I’d honestly be somewhat surprised if STL got NK before AUS and BNA, but then again, I guess it would depend on what routes they want to launch and how much gate space is available (which AUS and BNA don’t have much of right now).

I am confident all 5 will be getting NK pretty soon though.

masonh2479

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

That would make sense. However, several people on here (iflyDTW and flymco) have been insisting they are closing in on BNA (how credible those claims are is another story), so I’d say replace STL with BNA and I’d agree.

I’d honestly be somewhat surprised if STL got NK before AUS and BNA, but then again, I guess it would depend on what routes they want to launch and how much gate space is available (which AUS and BNA don’t have much of right now).

I'm with you, I have a hard time believing STL before AUS and BNA. AUS is hurting for gate space but not enough to inhibit a new airline to show. They have a near empty LCC terminal.

SANFan

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:03 am

Since no one seems to be able to access the Tweets posted today, do we know a time frame? Was the tweet announcing an upcoming announcement by Spirit? Tomorrow? Next week? Before the end of the year? I assume the start dates will be in 2018...

bb

Jshank83

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:11 am

masonh2479 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

That would make sense. However, several people on here (iflyDTW and flymco) have been insisting they are closing in on BNA (how credible those claims are is another story), so I’d say replace STL with BNA and I’d agree.

I'm with you, I have a hard time believing STL before AUS and BNA. AUS is hurting for gate space but not enough to inhibit a new airline to show. They have a near empty LCC terminal.

I am going with BNA and STL for the US ones. They have the least ULCC of the cities mentioned. AUS has a lot of ULCC already compared to others. IND has G4 growing pretty quickly there. Not that I would be shocked if it was a different combination though.

FLYKTPA

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 am

SANFan wrote:
Since no one seems to be able to access the Tweets posted today, do we know a time frame? Was the tweet announcing an upcoming announcement by Spirit? Tomorrow? Next week? Before the end of the year? I assume the start dates will be in 2018...

bb

The tweets reference what was said during Spirit’s earnings call. Their wasn’t any mention of a time line for the additions.

jubguy3

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 am

Is spirit going to ever start service to SLC? Why is this a market they seem to... miss? I understand that DL is likely to fight them off strongly, but doesn't spirit fill a niche of people who liked to be charged to breathe air... cough cough... are willing to forgo delta's high prices for a lower quality of service? What segments could they run?

n7371f

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:44 am

flymco753 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:

F9 thinks multiple dailies, let alone a daly flight, is absurd.

flymco753

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:37 pm

n7371f wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
MesaFlyGuy wrote:

F9 thinks multiple dailies, let alone a daly flight, is absurd.
Especially the whole 3x weekly from MCO to DTW and 4x weekly to GRR stunt, makes me want to know why.

flymco753

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

That would make sense. However, several people on here (iflyDTW and flymco753) have been insisting they are closing in on BNA (how credible those claims are is another story), so I’d say replace STL with BNA and I’d agree.

I am confident all 5 will be getting NK pretty soon though.
I just specualte AUS sand BNA because of they type of market and the size compared to other kid sized markets, obviously you can expect any mid sized to be connected with your large markets. I think NK is done with the small sized markets so I won’t even remotely recommend places like DAY, FNT markets.

One we’ve all been overlooking is RDU, highly possible as well as all of our other speculations.

dabpit

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:26 pm

My picks are SAT and BNA for the two medium cities and CLO for the new international city.

Midwestindy

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:42 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

The tweets reference what was said during Spirit’s earnings call. Their wasn’t any mention of a time line for the additions.

Yes there was, they would be announced this year and start in 2018.

Again I have heard rumors of IND, STL, and BNA in the works but no mentions of either AUS, RDU, SAT, e.t.c

F9Animal

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Anyone know how Spirit is doing in Seattle? I noticed they went down to two flights a day to Vegas. I also heard flights from SEA to LAX were getting axed? I sure hope they can maintain service in Seattle.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos