Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eastafspot
Topic Author

Rwanda and Benin to set up joint airline

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm

The governments of Benin and Rwanda have signed a memorandum of understanding to establish a joint airline based in Cotonou, where RwandAir, the national carrier, officially launched its new hub on Tuesday, August 1.
This was after Rwanda was granted seventh freedom rights by the Government of Benin which allows RwandAir to operate an international air service from Benin to a third country.
The joint airline will operate Abidjan, Brazzaville, Douala, Libreville, Bamako, Dakar and Conakry routes, according to Yvonne Manzi Makolo, the RwandAir deputy CEO for corporate affairs.

That's a great news for Benin and consumers, hope the airline will be succesful.
Let's see how it will compete with Asky.

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/read/217285/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

r2rho

Re: Rwanda and Benin to set up joint airline

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Rather unusual to see countries look beyond their national borders and fight the temptation to create a national flag carrier. Smart move from Benin IMO, and win win for both.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:51 pm

r2rho wrote:
Rather unusual to see countries look beyond their national borders and fight the temptation to create a national flag carrier. Smart move from Benin IMO, and win win for both.

Agree that can be an interesting idea. Government has the choice to take over Westair ops, leave the RwandAir brand (which may not be the best option to appeal locals or create a new airline name...
Air Cotonou or Air Dahomey would be nice :)
2 B737 aircrafts to begin with seems quite good to cover a dozen West African destinations!
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm

A quick update:

Starting the 30th of September, first routes 3x weekly from Cotonou will be Conakry in Guinea, Bamako, Mali and Dakar, Senegal.
If RwandAir wants to start New York, better to do it via DKR or direct?

ahj2000

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 am

eastafspot wrote:
A quick update:

Starting the 30th of September, first routes 3x weekly from Cotonou will be Conakry in Guinea, Bamako, Mali and Dakar, Senegal.

While nonstop KGL-NYC is a long way for a flight that will ultimately have a low yield, do remember that Dakar has competition from Delta and by adding a Stop, they'd be offering not a whole lot more than say an EU or ME carrier. I can see it either way
-Andrés Juánez

rukundo

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:54 pm

Planned to be operated via Accra, in Ghana. It was rumored to be operated via Abidjan, with a partnership with Air Cote d'Ivoire, to feed the route from ACI West Africa network

Rwanda’s flag carrier promoted its upcoming service to New York’s JFK airport, with anticipated launch date at the end of 2017. The Kigali (KGL) New York JFK service is expected to operate 3 x week, with a stop in Accra, Ghana.

http://www.airlinepros.com/rwandair-hea ... big-apple/

RwandAir starts Abidjan Cotonou and Cotonou-Libreville-Brazzaville service, from 01 sep 2017.

Abidjan Cotonou will be operated 6 times a week whom 3 flights will be operated to and from Kigali via Libreville. Cotonou-Libreville-Brazzaville will be operated 3 times a week, enabling to fly from Abidjan to Brazzaville, via Cotonou in a single day with RwandAir.

TheLion

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 am

Hopefully this is a success and works well. I also concur with others on here that Accra would be a better location for a hub given Ghana's population, economic development and location.

OA940

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:15 am

Will it have hubs in both countries?
A350/CSeries = bae

LupineChemist

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am

I like it and hope it works well, but it does strike me as kind of odd as the countries aren't exactly that near each other. I mean, it's a 2000 mile flight from Kigali to Cotonou.

3rdGen

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 am

It is odd. I would have thought that perhaps Rwanda Air should start a service from Burundi first.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

LGAviation

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:29 am

Certainly an interesting development that very much reminds of what ET did in West Africa. To be honest, I'm a little doubtful as to whether this could work out. Wouldn't it make sense for WB to loosen its *A ties and get cozier with OW if they want to essentially copy ET.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

ETinCaribe

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Sure, this is a bold move and may work out in the long run. Is WB in such a good shape that it can afford such an expansion? Full points for boldness but I have my doubts on its ultimate success.

MaverickM11

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Finally some competition for the KP hub 80 miles away in LFW :lol:
I don't take responsibility at all

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos