Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flightsimer

Re: American Eagle News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:24 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
alasizon wrote:

The all gray aircraft (242 & 945) are just gray decals over the AA livery.

Has nothing to do with scope, it has to do with YV trying to maintain a flying fleet - they currently have 40 aircraft under the CPA plus five additional short-term aircraft but are using 56 aircraft to cover that operation due to their maintenance operation. The generic liveries are the 7 aircraft that were removed from the AA fleet pre-COVID.

Actually it has everything to do with scope.

Same reason why Republic repainted 4 175’s to House livery from AA paint.

The four house liveries were very welcome at YX, giving us flexible system spares that we didn’t have since the BK.

The four House painted 175’s are only AA Spares and nothing has changed with them other than the paint scheme. If you look at the old Station lists, which you probably can’t because they were on the intranet and I don’t think the old ones made it to share point… but it would show how many planes are active for each carrier. The AA side was a fleet of 85 planes (pre AA170/175 deal from the fall) and there was only ever 79 planes at the most with active lines assigned to them. The other 6 planes were operational spares as well as planes in Heavy MX.

DL and UA still utilize only the 170 house spares as far as I know.

bigb

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:29 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
eugdjinn wrote:
I worked in a station that could consistently turn a 200 in 7 minutes flat, full in, full out, with valet tagged carry-ons. It's really not rocket science. And that was, yes, -consistently-. It takes a willingness to work the problem, be clear with your passengers, and work as a solid unit. It also takes a desire to do it. But no, it isn't impossible, or really, all that tricky, you just have to hump it. And no, I'm not in management or sitting in a cubicle. At the time I turned 200s and 145s, I was a station supervisor, and trainer. Now, I am just a part of a large dysfunctional team muddling through... and convincing itself that it just isn't possible to be half as good as the non-union player in the game. Why is that?

I’m sorry but that is just not simply realistic. Unless the plane is on fire it takes longer than 3 minutes for everyone to get off, and certainly longer than 3 minutes for everybody to get on. And it takes more than 1 minute for the FA to reset the cabin (including a light clean/trash sweep) before boarding. Did it happen a few times? Probably. But it is not safe, nor realistic to say that they can be turned routinely in 7 minutes. Maybe your station was Liberal, KS where the average bag and pax count is in the single digits. I could believe that. Full flight in and out there’s no way 7 minutes is realistic.

I turn 200’s all day long in a busy hub, and 18-19 minutes is about the best you can hope for on an average load quick turn for a 200, and the company gives us 23 minutes. There’s just too many things that need to happen, especially in a hub that a line station may not need to deal with.

I am with Jet, no way in hell you are turning a CRJ-200 in 7 mins unless you have a single digit pax count.... I’ve flown the CRJ-200 and have a quite a bit of hours in the aircraft and experience. The best quick turn I’ve experienced was a 18 min (unload, board, refuel, briefs, and checklists) in normal circumstances. I’ve seen quicker with but again, pax count was single digits (makes sense, most pax were rebooked due to late inbound aircraft otherwise quick turn isn’t needed).

GVZZZ

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:41 am

The final BA Cityflyer E170 (G-LCYI) left Norwich, UK yesterday and will presumably join it's five siblings at Macon, GA later today.

Crosswind

Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 am

GVZZZ wrote:
The final BA Cityflyer E170 (G-LCYI) left Norwich, UK yesterday and will presumably join it's five siblings at Macon, GA later today.

Just a NWI-NWI post-storage test flight yesterday. G-LCYI not due to go until July, now under preparation with KLM Engineering.

Regards
CROSSWIND

GVZZZ

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:35 am

Apologies! July isn't far away.....

eugdjinn

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:02 pm

You all go right ahead and believe what you will. We did do it. We had a way to segregate outbound passengers so that we could essentially "board" while the plane landed and taxied in, that let us do the announcements and line everyone up, and we did, and we did alter boarding order to set them rigidly back to front two rows at a time in that line so no-one in row two held the process up. It worked. We asked the people on the plane to disembark quickly. We basically explained what we needed and why it was in everyone's interest to help, and we tried to make a game of it for everyone. Generally, our passengers thought it was fun, and we all worked together. In fact, while one pilot set the plane up to go back out, the other did the walk around and then helped in the jetway or kept people moving.

I'm sorry that you all suffer from both a lack of imagination and a lack of willingness to look at what we do and try to improve on it. Yes, our TSA was willing to work with us. Yes, this was 11 years ago. Yes, we were an out station. But there is nothing that prevents you from leaving your sacred podium in a hub and talking to people at your gate before the plane pulls in and explaining that they will need a valet tag, or potentially giving it to them, is there? There are ways to make the process smoother, faster, and more pleasant.

What we did was set passenger -expectations- explain the process, ask for assistance, and get it.

What you all are doing is complaining about passengers not helping with the process because they don't magically understand how to help.

Even simple stuff like: "Ladies and gentlemen, the plane has just landed and we will board in 6 minutes. You can help by going to the restroom now, getting your boarding pass out, having your reading material in hand, and being ready to stow your personal items the moment you reach your seat." And at the moment of sending them down, "As you walk down the jetway, please find your seat assignment, so you know what seat you are going to."

Believe me, don't believe me, it really doesn't matter. But if you care enough to argue about it, it makes me wonder if you care enough to really think about the process and how to do it well? Yes, they give us all scripts, but they did that to make sure the important information made it across. Surely you can tell what the important pieces are and skinny things down to that in a hurry? Keep it safe. (But at least where I am, most AA passengers enjoy it when we make it fun and remember that they are part of the journey.)

Crosswind

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 pm

GVZZZ wrote:
Apologies! July isn't far away.....

No problems, just trying to avoid confusion. G-LCYH only left Thursday and arrived yesterday in Macon. The pre-delivery work in Norwich is end-to-end which is why YI’s flight happened as ‘YH left. Just didn’t want anyone stateside wondering where it went! ;)

FlyingElvii

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:24 pm

eugdjinn wrote:
You all go right ahead and believe what you will. We did do it. We had a way to segregate outbound passengers so that we could essentially "board" while the plane landed and taxied in, that let us do the announcements and line everyone up, and we did, and we did alter boarding order to set them rigidly back to front two rows at a time in that line so no-one in row two held the process up. It worked. We asked the people on the plane to disembark quickly. We basically explained what we needed and why it was in everyone's interest to help, and we tried to make a game of it for everyone. Generally, our passengers thought it was fun, and we all worked together. In fact, while one pilot set the plane up to go back out, the other did the walk around and then helped in the jetway or kept people moving.

I'm sorry that you all suffer from both a lack of imagination and a lack of willingness to look at what we do and try to improve on it. Yes, our TSA was willing to work with us. Yes, this was 11 years ago. Yes, we were an out station. But there is nothing that prevents you from leaving your sacred podium in a hub and talking to people at your gate before the plane pulls in and explaining that they will need a valet tag, or potentially giving it to them, is there? There are ways to make the process smoother, faster, and more pleasant.

What we did was set passenger -expectations- explain the process, ask for assistance, and get it.

What you all are doing is complaining about passengers not helping with the process because they don't magically understand how to help.

Even simple stuff like: "Ladies and gentlemen, the plane has just landed and we will board in 6 minutes. You can help by going to the restroom now, getting your boarding pass out, having your reading material in hand, and being ready to stow your personal items the moment you reach your seat." And at the moment of sending them down, "As you walk down the jetway, please find your seat assignment, so you know what seat you are going to."

Believe me, don't believe me, it really doesn't matter. But if you care enough to argue about it, it makes me wonder if you care enough to really think about the process and how to do it well? Yes, they give us all scripts, but they did that to make sure the important information made it across. Surely you can tell what the important pieces are and skinny things down to that in a hurry? Keep it safe. (But at least where I am, most AA passengers enjoy it when we make it fun and remember that they are part of the journey.)

Not sure where some of these people have worked, but having boarding pax lined up in the jetway while deplaning the arrival is nothing new, especially in a small outstation. No chairs, carryons stacked and tagged at the stairway door, no fuel, (even that can be done if you call the fueler in advance), and a cooperative crew, it is entirely possible to do this.

bigb

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:52 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
eugdjinn wrote:

Not sure where some of these people have worked, but having boarding pax lined up in the jetway while deplaning the arrival is nothing new, especially in a small outstation. No chairs, carryons stacked and tagged at the stairway door, no fuel, (even that can be done if you call the fueler in advance), and a cooperative crew, it is entirely possible to do this.

Look man, I am just a experienced flight crew who has experience with the CRJ-200. I am not complaining. All I am just saying, must have had all the stars aligned for a 7 min quick turn.

MLIAA

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 pm

eugdjinn wrote:

I can maybe buy this at a puny outstation like Hays KS or Quincy IL but there is ZERO way that this could happen at a hub or even a decent-sized outstation. Take a trip to the E gates in CLT on a busy morning and tell me you’re going to round up bags early and arrange people by seat assignment. The same applies at ORD or PHL or any hub for that matter. And when you’re working multiple flights from the same gate area, trying to collect valets early is a great way to misplace a valet bag (most of which don’t have any names on their tags).

UA748i

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Ive personally turned in E145 in 10 minutes. It can be done.

alasizon

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:12 pm

UA748i wrote:
Ive personally turned in E145 in 10 minutes. It can be done.

Nobody is disputing it can't be done on occasion but not on the regular with 50 pax in, 50 out.

FlyingElvii

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:30 pm

bigb wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
eugdjinn wrote:

Look man, I am just a experienced flight crew who has experience with the CRJ-200. I am not complaining. All I am just saying, must have had all the stars aligned for a 7 min quick turn.

You would be amazed at how cooperative a crew can be when the return is the go-home leg.

FlyingElvii

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:32 pm

MLIAA wrote:
eugdjinn wrote:

I can maybe buy this at a puny outstation like Hays KS or Quincy IL but there is ZERO way that this could happen at a hub or even a decent-sized outstation. Take a trip to the E gates in CLT on a busy morning and tell me you’re going to round up bags early and arrange people by seat assignment. The same applies at ORD or PHL or any hub for that matter. And when you’re working multiple flights from the same gate area, trying to collect valets early is a great way to misplace a valet bag (most of which don’t have any names on their tags).

I have done similar in Indy, SBN, STL, etc.

bigb

Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
bigb wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

You would be amazed at how cooperative a crew can be when the return is the go-home leg.

Been there and done it. 15-18 mins..... on go hone leg. Full load off and full load on in Mobile

jgcotter

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:25 pm

The last former Compass E175, N219NN, ferried from ABI to DFW last night to enter revenue service with Envoy.

aaflyer222

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:06 pm

when will more yx e170 aircraft transfer to aa from delta? only n869rw has as of now.

GSOtoIND

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:38 pm

aaflyer222 wrote:
when will more yx e170 aircraft transfer to aa from delta? only n869rw has as of now.

N867RW is in AMA right now for paint and should enter service this week or next. N860RW has been in CMH since the 3rd so it's possible she could be next, though that would break the pattern of ~2 weeks in SDF and 1 week in AMA that the previous 4 have followed.

n797mx

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /KMCN/KROW

N761RW is to be ferried to ROW for paint.

YX170

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 pm

I’m looking at 821MD in aa colors right now in HXD

GSOtoIND

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:27 am

Republic's N867RW has left AMA and is enroute to LGA to enter service with AA.

GVZZZ

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:11 pm

Having jumped the gun a few days ago, Cityflyer G-LCYI is now en route from Norwich to Keflavik, no doubt to get to Macon tomorrow afternoon/evening.

G-LCYE was registered N761RW last week.

jgcotter

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:12 pm

E145 N674RJ, which went off the runway at FPO collapsing the main landing gear on 6/24/20, has been deregistered and written off on 6/30/21.

n797mx

Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:10 am

jgcotter wrote:
E145 N674RJ, which went off the runway at FPO collapsing the main landing gear on 6/24/20, has been deregistered and written off on 6/30/21.

674 was actually removed from the OpSpecs back on April 19th..

jgcotter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:09 pm

n797mx wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

OK, thanks! I wonder why it took so long to deregister it?

USAirKid

Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:50 am

jgcotter wrote:
n797mx wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

OK, thanks! I wonder why it took so long to deregister it?

Eh, paperwork that doesn't need to move at any specific quick speed?

jgcotter

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:32 pm

n797mx wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

Just curious, are 800 and 801 still on the OpSpecs? Thanks!

n797mx

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:39 am

jgcotter wrote:
n797mx wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

All of the 140s are technically still on the OpSpecs until they are sold off or made into soda cans. The only ones that have been removed are 802 and 811. Not sure of the current state of 802, if any, but 811 has been 100% scrapped.

jgcotter

Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:35 pm

n797mx wrote:
jgcotter wrote:
n797mx wrote:

All of the 140s are technically still on the OpSpecs until they are sold off or made into soda cans. The only ones that have been removed are 802 and 811. Not sure of the current state of 802, if any, but 811 has been 100% scrapped.

OK, thanks much!

toga998

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:35 pm

Can anyone shed light on the YV situation? Lately Anet has been shining a bad light all over the YV operation of AA. Is their contract being dwindled before the current one expires in 2025?

alasizon

Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:15 pm

toga998 wrote:
Can anyone shed light on the YV situation? Lately Anet has been shining a bad light all over the YV operation of AA. Is their contract being dwindled before the current one expires in 2025?

Right now, no. Simply because nobody else can staff the flying. Their new contract that they just negotiated does allow AA to cut 10 frames in 2021 and then 5 each subsequent year.

n797mx

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:22 am

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /KROW/KABI

Envoy's aircraft 761 is out of the paint shop and has been ferried to ROW for final conformity checks.

jgcotter

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 pm

MLIAA wrote:
The first 3 Envoy E170s have been registered as N760MQ, N761RW, and N762DT.

Any word on the next three registrations? Thanks!

dstblj52

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:26 pm

alasizon wrote:
toga998 wrote:

Right now, no. Simply because nobody else can staff the flying. Their new contract that they just negotiated does allow AA to cut 10 frames in 2021 and then 5 each subsequent year.

along with really really cheap operation costs because mesa

alasizon

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:10 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
toga998 wrote:

Their operation costs aren't really that cheap, yes the direct cost is lower (about 15% compared to SkyWest) but they cause the highest operational cost (in both overtime and pax accommodation costs) which gets looked at a lot more than before. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers showed they chewed up that 15% cost difference every day.

MO11

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:04 pm

n797mx wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY9857/history/20210711/1700Z/KROW/KABI

Envoy's aircraft 761 is out of the paint shop and has been ferried to ROW for final conformity checks.

You actually mean it is out of the paint shop at ROW, and has been ferried to ABI for conformity.

dstblj52

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:16 pm

alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Their operation costs aren't really that cheap, yes the direct cost is lower (about 15% compared to SkyWest) but they cause the highest operational cost (in both overtime and pax accommodation costs) which gets looked at a lot more than before. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers showed they chewed up that 15% cost difference every day.

Interesting so you would believe they will lose aircraft then, no point creating operational disruptions, and bad customer experiences for no savings

alasizon

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:40 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:

Interesting so you would believe they will lose aircraft then, no point creating operational disruptions, and bad customer experiences for no savings

I personally believe that AA will exercise their option to shrink the amount of aircraft on Dec 31st, by then there likely will be some aircraft available on the OO or YX side to replace Mesa. Particularly will be interesting to see what happens with the OO operated DL 900s as if those become available I could see them replacing some of the Mesa frames incrementally. Realistically AA is stuck with Mesa till the end of the current CPA but I don't see there being a renewal.

crj900lr

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:04 am

alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

I personally believe that AA will exercise their option to shrink the amount of aircraft on Dec 31st, by then there likely will be some aircraft available on the OO or YX side to replace Mesa. Particularly will be interesting to see what happens with the OO operated DL 900s as if those become available I could see them replacing some of the Mesa frames incrementally. Realistically AA is stuck with Mesa till the end of the current CPA but I don't see there being a renewal.

Doug and Johnathan have been doing business since way back in the HP days. Unless Doug leaves or Mesa's operation implodes more then it is now I wouldn't expect to see Mesa kicked out the door any time soon. Will they operate a smaller fleet, probably, but AA will keep them for as long as possible, and if the price is right there may even be an extension after this current contract is up. Johnny O is lucky to have friends in high places.

dstblj52

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:09 pm

crj900lr wrote:
alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:

Doug and Johnathan have been doing business since way back in the HP days. Unless Doug leaves or Mesa's operation implodes more then it is now I wouldn't expect to see Mesa kicked out the door any time soon. Will they operate a smaller fleet, probably, but AA will keep them for as long as possible, and if the price is right there may even be an extension after this current contract is up. Johnny O is lucky to have friends in high places.

It isn't doug that has the close relationship with ornstein thats kirby

crj900lr

Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 am

dstblj52 wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
alasizon wrote:

My bad, you are right. Kirby and Johnny O go back farther then Doug.

Vctony

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:52 am

dstblj52 wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
alasizon wrote:

That explains why Mesa is the one United Express carrier that seems to be getting more and more United work.

MLIAA

Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:01 pm

jgcotter wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

Nothing loaded into the system yet.

n797mx

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:05 am

MLIAA wrote:
jgcotter wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

I hate knowing, but not being able to say anything. :X

In other news...
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N23 ... /KGYR/KABI

alasizon

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:20 am

n797mx wrote:
MLIAA wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

In other news...

I thought all six were coming from BA? This bird is ex-AeroMexico

MLIAA

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:28 am

n797mx wrote:
MLIAA wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

In other news...

That’s interesting.

GVZZZ

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:42 pm

Last week Skywest reserved registrations N501SY to N503SY for Embraer 175s. Does anyone know if these are the first that are due for American Eagle operations? The registration sequence is distinct and distant from those they've already taken delivery of. Cheers/ZZZ

eugdjinn

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Awesome! I wondered if we'd see the 170s that had been leased to AeroMexico start finding their way to Envoy. I wondered if their owners were looking to unload them, and the obvious place to shop them around was here in Dallas. That's some good news for MQ and good for AA group as a whole.

GVZZZ - Yes, I would lay odds that those will indeed be the beginning of the 25 175s due to SkyWest for AA service. I don't remember off the top of my head whether they deliver in third quarter or start in the fourth, but soon.... too soon. And at least in theory they will head to LAX, at least, that is what everyone inside Envoy prays for. We will see where they truly wind up.

MLIAA

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:00 pm

The proposal for September shows “O75” equipment for SkyWest operating in LAX, so I would say it’s safe to say the OO 175s will be in Los Angeles.

amcnd

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Yes OO starts heading down in a week or so to get the aircraft… In service SEP 1, 2021. Be interesting to see what routes, new or former CRJ700 routes…????

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos