Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12

AA to close Envoy bases in NYC

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:52 pm

CHICAGO (Reuters) - American Airline’s (AAL.O) wholly-owned regional carrier Envoy is closing its bases at La Guardia and John F. Kennedy airports in New York as it “makes changes to its flying profile in 2021,” according to a memo from Envoy to employees seen by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 6133L?il=0

Seems consistent with the B6 plan, but how far has that advanced?

Where will the LGA slots go?

FlyingElvii

Re: AA to close Envoy bases in NYC

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Envoy is opening a 175 base in Miami to replace it. Envoy does not have over-water ops on the certificate for now, so Republic will still be flying many of the Island routes, at least for a while. And I would think Republic will pick up the NYC ops, feeding traffic into the new AA/B6 plan.

toltommy

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Did you read the article you linked?

"American is expected to shift some JFK and LaGuardia airport slots to JetBlue and in return JetBlue will help feed traffic to American’s international destinations next year."
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

tphuang

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
CHICAGO (Reuters) - American Airline’s (AAL.O) wholly-owned regional carrier Envoy is closing its bases at La Guardia and John F. Kennedy airports in New York as it “makes changes to its flying profile in 2021,” according to a memo from Envoy to employees seen by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 6133L?il=0

Seems consistent with the B6 plan, but how far has that advanced?

I wrote this a while back on JetBlue thread on what AA could drop from just dropping 44/50 seaters. It's not clear to me how many of the 44/50 seaters are operated by Envoy.

"CLE - All E40 station and they still managed to be the lowest fare carrier here. Not a great combination. I see AA dropping both LGA/JFK
CVG - Another All E40 station where they were the lowest fare carrier. Only 2 flights a day scheduled in, easy drop.
IND - Just 2 flights with a E40 + E75. DL dominates here and AA is the lowest fare carrier
YYZ/YUL - all E40s to Canada. Cross border traffic will be down for a while and still dominated by Canadian carriers. They were never competitive here.
And then there are stuff like CAK/CHO/CAE/SDF/MEM/RIC/ROA/PWM where it seems very likely for them to drop since those are all E40 markets with probably not enough demand post covid to justify service. There are other routes that I think they will keep around but will see fewer flights as they upgauge from E40/E75 up to more efficient aircraft. Just based on the effect of eliminating E40s and lower post-COIVD demand, I think AA is going to be cutting 40 to 50 flights."

My guess is that you will see a lot of these slots leased to JetBlue to fly Florida and other leisure stuff.

Boof02671

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:53 pm

TomJoel

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm

I feel like Envoy should have been spun off from AA years ago. Envoy mostly flies to markets that really don't "need" air service anyways so to me, Envoy is just a burning pit of money at this point.

SurfandSnow

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:45 pm

I feel like DL has really been upping the ante at LGA with its new A220s. Envoy aircraft are probably getting to be less and less competitive, whilst smaller business markets getting to be increasingly challenging given the seismic shift of aviation resources to VFR and leisure travel as business travel remains drastically reduced for the foreseeable future...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

airtran737

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:50 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Envoy is opening a 175 base in Miami to replace it. Envoy does not have over-water ops on the certificate for now, so Republic will still be flying many of the Island routes, at least for a while. And I would think Republic will pick up the NYC ops, feeding traffic into the new AA/B6 plan.

Envoy will have it by the time they enter the market. Look for YX to lose their AA flying in MIA and take all of NYC for themselves to feed B6 and AA.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

bigb

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm

TomJoel wrote:
I feel like Envoy should have been spun off from AA years ago. Envoy mostly flies to markets that really don't "need" air service anyways so to me, Envoy is just a burning pit of money at this point.

It is actually the contrary, Envoy generates a profit for AA, same goes for PSA and PDT.

MLIAA

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:22 pm

TomJoel wrote:

1. Envoy is a regional airline, the business model is no different than the other 12 regionals in the US.

2. The last few places I’ve flown on Envoy metal include MCI, CVG, PVD, MSP, and EWR. You know, small markets that “don’t really need air service”.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B712 B722 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B788 B789 MD80 S340 E140 E145 E170 E175 E195 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

TomJoel

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:06 pm

MLIAA wrote:
TomJoel wrote:

1. Envoy is a regional airline, the business model is no different than the other 12 regionals in the US.

2. The last few places I’ve flown on Envoy metal include MCI, CVG, PVD, MSP, and EWR. You know, small markets that “don’t really need air service”.

Regional airlines in general are an outdated relic of the "hub and spoke" model which is no longer viable. All regional flying should stop because it's wasteful.

KCaviator

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:35 pm

TomJoel wrote:
MLIAA wrote:
TomJoel wrote:

Regional airlines in general are an outdated relic of the "hub and spoke" model which is no longer viable. All regional flying should stop because it's wasteful.

In what ways are regionals “wasteful”? As much as I hate to admit it, regionals can do the same job for a lot less money. It’s no different than outsourcing factory work to Mexico or China.

Would I love to see all flying done by mainline? Absolutely. But until the cost differential begins to narrow, this isn’t going to happen. Scope will continue to be maxed out.

Also, your comment about a relic of the old hub-and-spoke system is uninformed as well. Yes, there are regionals that continue to fly from major hubs to tiny outstations. But there are also regionals that fly 1,000+ NM flights regularly. Why? Because it’s CHEAPER to have a regional fly from MIA to MSP Or SFO to MSN than it is for mainline. Geography wise, there’s not much “regional” about those flights.

FSDan

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 pm

TomJoel wrote:

Well, it's news to me that the hub-and-spoke model is no longer viable! In fact, the pandemic has arguably caused the biggest hub-and-spoke carriers to focus more on their highest-connectivity hubs - DFW, ATL, DEN, CLT, DTW, ORD, etc. over the likes of SFO/LAX/DCA/LGA/JFK/BOS that are less focused on connections.

Sure, UA and AA have been announcing some uncharacteristic point-to-point routes to make a play for leisure demand they weren't capturing before, but as long as the U.S. continues to have small cities with robust economies such as MSN, GSP, FSD, MDT, ICT, HSV, AZO, and on and on, there will be a need and a purpose for the hub-and-spoke model.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

SurfandSnow

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:31 pm

airtran737 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Envoy will have it by the time they enter the market. Look for YX to lose their AA flying in MIA and take all of NYC for themselves to feed B6 and AA.

This makes perfect sense, if only due to competition. Envoy's aging 50 seat RJs were no longer competitive at JFK and LGA. E-Jets and codeshared B6 flights will offer a much better experience vs. DL and, for those that use EWR, UA. In South Florida, there is actually far less competition when it comes to small market routes. Recent American Eagle additions like MIA-DAY/JAN actually seem like a great use of 50 seat RJ capacity IMO.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

TomJoel

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:49 pm

KCaviator wrote:
TomJoel wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

In what ways are regionals “wasteful”? As much as I hate to admit it, regionals can do the same job for a lot less money. It’s no different than outsourcing factory work to Mexico or China.

Would I love to see all flying done by mainline? Absolutely. But until the cost differential begins to narrow, this isn’t going to happen. Scope will continue to be maxed out.

Also, your comment about a relic of the old hub-and-spoke system is uninformed as well. Yes, there are regionals that continue to fly from major hubs to tiny outstations. But there are also regionals that fly 1,000+ NM flights regularly. Why? Because it’s CHEAPER to have a regional fly from MIA to MSP Or SFO to MSN than it is for mainline. Geography wise, there’s not much “regional” about those flights.

Lets focus on your comment about regionals that continue to fly from major hubs to tiny outstations, specifically the Envoy flights that operate from DFW. Why does Envoy continue to fly routes such as JLN, LAW, ROW, MAF, ACT, TYR and such? The markets could very well be profitable, but most of the markets don't "need" air service. Why not shift these aircraft from these routes and move them over to mainline routes? You've pointed out that regional jets are cheaper to operate on longer duration flights so that should equate to more profit, correct? Why fly an E145 to ACT when DFW is 90 miles away, or fly to TYR when the drive to DFW is less than 1.5 hours? Bottom line, Envoy does a lot of these "hops" to these outstations in the middle of nowhere while air service is cut a larger, more populous areas.

MLIAA

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:56 pm

TomJoel wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
TomJoel wrote:

Lets focus on your comment about regionals that continue to fly from major hubs to tiny outstations, specifically the Envoy flights that operate from DFW. Why does Envoy continue to fly routes such as JLN, LAW, ROW, MAF, ACT, TYR and such? The markets could very well be profitable, but most of the markets don't "need" air service. Why not shift these aircraft from these routes and move them over to mainline routes? You've pointed out that regional jets are cheaper to operate on longer duration flights so that should equate to more profit, correct? Why fly an E145 to ACT when DFW is 90 miles away, or fly to TYR when the drive to DFW is less than 1.5 hours? Bottom line, Envoy does a lot of these "hops" to these outstations in the middle of nowhere while air service is cut a larger, more populous areas.

Envoy is not a charity, they fly to these cities because they make money. ROW and MAF are both in the middle of nowhere, there aren’t really other options for those markets.

You’re assuming these are loss-making routes, and that’s just not the case. If they were, they would either be cut or be subsidized by the government, most of which are not.

And again, SkyWest, Air Wisconsin, Piedmont, and Endeavor all fly routes similar to these for the same reason: they make money.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B712 B722 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B788 B789 MD80 S340 E140 E145 E170 E175 E195 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

Web500sjc

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:12 pm

TomJoel wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
TomJoel wrote:

AA (DL and UA also) are network carriers, they derive value from flying people to the nearest reasonable airport. The reason TYR, ACT, JLN, LAW and ROW have air service is because people actually pay money to go there. Obviously not 300 people (or else they would be on E175s or larger), but people pay to skip the 75 mile or longer drives.
Boiler Up!

jgcotter

Re: American Eagle News and Discussion Thread

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm

PSA CR2 N228PS is en route DAY to TUS for probable transfer to OO.

jgcotter

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:44 am

E175 N210NN ferried AVW to BNA yesterday for conformity checks to enter revenue service with Envoy.

jgcotter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 pm

E140 N808AE, N810AE and N816AE ferried from ABI to MZJ this morning for retirement.

jgcotter

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:18 pm

E175 N211NN is en route AVW to BNA for conformity checks to enter revenue service with Envoy.

FSDan

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Has AA announced any plans to park the rest of the ERDs? I'd imagine the CASM has to be worse than the ER4s.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

freakyrat

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:32 am

freakyrat wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
Looking at FlightAware I noticed PSA is flying CR9’s through DFW. When did this start? The only destinations so far looked like LEX and DAY. Assuming this is start of phasing out Mesa?

They've been doing it in small quantities for quite a while. I flew on a PSA CR9 in early spring both directions DFW-SAV-DFW and the CR9 at the gate next to us was also PSA, but I didn't catch where it was going. That also wasn't the first time I'd seen them there, but again, it's been rare.

SBN-CLT has been operated by a PSA CR9 for quite some time now however it looks like AA in October is going to be back to the OO flow thru flights again with DFW-SBN-CLT and CLT-SBN-DFW. Using an OO 65-seat CR7.

AA changed their mind on flow thru on these flights. SBN-CLT now operated by PSA with 65 seat CRJ700's and SBN-DFW operated with Skywest CR700's.

alasizon

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:22 am

FSDan wrote:
Has AA announced any plans to park the rest of the ERDs? I'd imagine the CASM has to be worse than the ER4s.

Not yet - that being said they actually are not too terrible from the numbers I've ran CASM wise compared to the E145s.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

jgcotter

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:14 am

E175 N210NN ferried BNA to DFW this afternoon to enter revenue service with Envoy.

jgcotter

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Envoy E140 N821AE is en route from ABI to MZJ for retirement.

jgcotter

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:18 pm

PSA CR2 N218PS is en route from DAY to TUS for probable transfer to OO.

jgcotter

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:03 pm

E175 N293NN is en route from SJK-MAO-FLL-ABI for delivery to Envoy.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N293NN
Last edited by jgcotter on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jgcotter

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm

E175 N298FR is en route from SJK-MAO-FLL-ABI for delivery to Envoy.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N298FR

airtran737

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 pm

About time these airplanes came home. I believe there are at least two more awaiting delivery.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

jgcotter

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Envoy has officially announced E145 base closures and E140 fleet reductions;
- LGA and MIA (E145) bases to close 1/31.
- E140 fleet to retire.
- 15 more E175 inbound (9 Compass, 6 new) for a total of 101 x E175 and 58 x E145 at Envoy.
Source: Company memo.

lowfareair

Re: American to Return Parked Envoy E-175's/E-145's to Service by June 3

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:14 pm

jgcotter wrote:
- E140 fleet to retire.
- 15 more E175 inbound (9 Compass, 6 new) for a total of 101 x E175 and 58 x E145 at Envoy.

Not shocked with the E140 retirement. AA has been trimming fleets and with AA investing in HEPA filters on the 50 seaters to claim 100% of flights have it, the ROI for putting them on the 140s probably sealed the deal.

jgcotter

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:58 pm

E175 N212NN ferried from AVW to BNA yesterday for conformity checks to enter revenue service with Envoy.

battlegroup62

Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 pm

jgcotter wrote:
E175 N212NN ferried from AVW to BNA yesterday for conformity checks to enter revenue service with Envoy.

Who does the heavy maintenance checks on the Envoy 175's?
We have to keep planes airworthy. That doesn't mean they have to fly.

jgcotter

Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:29 pm

battlegroup62 wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

Embraer Aircraft Maintenance Services (EAMS) at BNA does the heavy checks for a number of E175 operators, so it seems that they’re sharing some of the work with Eagle Aviation Services, Inc. (EASI) at ABI for the Envoy E175 fleet.

TomJoel

Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:51 pm

jgcotter wrote:
battlegroup62 wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

Embraer Aircraft Maintenance Services (EAMS) at BNA does the heavy checks for a number of E175 operators, so it seems that they’re sharing some of the work with Eagle Aviation Services, Inc. (EASI) at ABI for the Envoy E175 fleet.

Does ABI even have the capacity to handle the E175?

MLIAA

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:36 am

TomJoel wrote:
jgcotter wrote:
battlegroup62 wrote:

Does ABI even have the capacity to handle the E175?

Yes, ABI has typically done the initial acceptance checks from the factory before entering revenue service, and performs heavy checks on both the 145 and 175 fleets.

aaflyer222

Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:20 am

has mq planned when all e140 will exit? it appears that some are being removed each month.
74m, 772, 763, 764, 752, 733, 734, 738, 739, a319, a320, a321, s80, m88, m90, e190, e170, e175, e140, e145, cr2, cr7, cr9, dh1, dh3, dh4, at72, s340

jgcotter

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm

E140 N812AE is en route from ABI to MZJ for retirement.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N812AE

MrPeanut

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:36 pm

jgcotter wrote:
- E140 fleet to retire.

That pretty much guts a lot of the former LGA eagle flying and fully expected after the B6 announcement.

At this point AA is reducing it’s total fleet size (Eagle & Mainline) by 20% or so.

jgcotter

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:52 pm

E140 N817AE is en route from ABI to MZJ for retirement.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N817AE

jgcotter

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:00 pm

E175 N211NN is en route from EAMS at BNA to the Envoy maintenance base at XNA for further conformity checks to enter revenue service with Envoy.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N211NN

jgcotter

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:43 pm

E140 N837AE is en route from ABI to MZJ for retirement.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N837AE

jgcotter

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:01 pm

E140 N841AE is en route from ABI to MZJ for retirement.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N841AE

jgcotter

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:31 pm

E175 N211NN is en route from XNA to DFW in revenue service with Envoy.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N211NN

jgcotter

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 pm

E175 N300LK is en route from SJK-MAO-FLL-ABI for delivery to Envoy.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N300LK

jgcotter

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm

E175 N299JJ is en route from SJK-MAO-FLL-ABI for delivery to Envoy.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N299JJ

jgcotter

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:27 am

jgcotter wrote:
E175 N299JJ is en route from SJK-MAO-FLL-ABI for delivery to Envoy.

E175 N299JJ re-filed and is en route from FLL-DFW for delivery to Envoy.