AAvgeek744

Re: British Airways to launch Nashville

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 am

slvfly wrote:
I haven't been following BNA - has JL said they are considering Nashville?

No, but there is considerable push to land a Tokyo flight. Nissan America HQ is in suburban Nashville, along with a large manufacturing facility. There are also several smaller Japanese owned companies that supply Nissan. There is also the Japanese consulate in Nashville. I think the assumption it would be JL is they seem to be opening flights to cities with decent sized oneworld pax. NH seems to go to Star aligned cities.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 am

Congrats on regaining London and TATL service. The BA flight should do well.

southwest1675
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 am

slvfly wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
slvfly wrote:

Direct flights to London and Tokyo are the top overseas priorities for BNA officials. Now that they (hopefully it will be officially announced soon) landed London, my guess is the attention will turn to Tokyo.

Why Tokyo? Does BNA even have the O&D demand for such a market?

Nashville has strong business ties to Asia. Especially with Nissan having their North American HQ just a little south of Nashville
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:48 am

I'm curious as to whether MSY gets upgauged to a 789 in order to free up a 788 for BNA?
...wouldn't be surprised, as BA has been sending 789s there almost routinely as of late.

ADrum23 wrote:
I see. I didn't know a 788/9 could reach Japan from the eastern US.

A 789 can fly 17hr flights... Japan to anywhere in the USA would be no challenge whatsoever to it.
788 has less range, but can still hit anywhere in the USA from Japan.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

HeyHey

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 am

In addition to Nissan and the myriad Asian parts suppliers located here, Bridgestone has its North American headquarters in downtown Nashville's newest office building and Hankook tires has a massive presence just north of Nashville toward Clarksville.

33lspotter

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:07 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
I feel like some of us in bigger cities take for granted what its like to not have nonstop overseas flights. I know how much I appreciate it and Im very happy for our brothers and sisters in Nashville!

Totally agree that some in bigger cities take it for granted. Having grown up in Maine but now living in Massachusetts, I think I definitely appreciate having nonstop intercontinental flights more than I would have if I'd grown up with them.

More importantly, congrats to BNA!

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:25 am

But...but...I was told that Nashville was filled with nothing but rednecks, hillbillies, and washed-up country music artists who would never fly to London, especially on a highfalutin airline like BA. :roll:

In all seriousness, how many U.S.--LHR routes does that make for BA?

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 am

Would this be the earliest BA has announced a US destination in a while? From the recent ones, MSY/FLL were late October, AUS was sometime in September, OAK was november 1, SJC late August, BWI mid-november? Not sure why they are announcing so early, or if it even matters at all, but something that just caught my attention. Carry on...
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
But...but...I was told that Nashville was filled with nothing but rednecks, hillbillies, and washed-up country music artists who would never fly to London, especially on a highfalutin airline like BA. :roll:

From LHR, by my count it is 20 routes, and including BNA that would be 21!
Last edited by Midwestindy on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

msycajun

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:33 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Would this be the earliest BA has announced a US destination in a while? From the recent ones, MSY/FLL were late October, AUS was sometime in September, OAK was november 1, SJC late August, BWI mid-november? Not sure why they are announcing so early, or if it even matters at all, but something that just caught my attention. Carry on...

Well, they haven't announced at all yet...

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 am

msycajun wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

True, but the indication is within the next 1-2 weeks, or else this article is just a tease for a late October announcement which would be stupid, especially since it is the beginning of August.

msycajun

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 am

Midwestindy wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

True, but the indication is within the next 1-2 weeks, or else this article is just a tease for a late October announcement which would be stupid.

There was a similar teaser article about the BA MSY service and the official announcement didn't come for almost three weeks. Could be next week or October for all I know.

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:42 am

msycajun wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
msycajun wrote:

True, but the indication is within the next 1-2 weeks, or else this article is just a tease for a late October announcement which would be stupid.

There was a similar teaser article about the BA MSY service and the official announcement didn't come for almost three weeks. Could be next week or October for all I know.

Did MSY have incentives? That may be the difference. IINM, AUS did not have any incentives.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:45 am

Cubsrule wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Did MSY have incentives? That may be the difference. IINM, AUS did not have any incentives.

What would that have changed in terms of it being leaked?

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Without incentives, BA does not have to talk to anyone but the airport. With incentives, there are other stakeholders.

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Without incentives, BA does not have to talk to anyone but the airport. With incentives, there are other stakeholders.

I feel like if BA didn't want this story written, it wouldn't have been written. However, BA probably likes these types of articles because it builds excitement for the actual announcement, and is free publicity for the airline. At AUS, like you said, there wouldn't have been a chance for that type of leak to occur.

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I feel like if BA didn't want this story written, it wouldn't have been written. However, BA probably likes these types of articles because it builds excitement for the actual announcement, and is free publicity for the airline. At AUS, like you said, there wouldn't have been a chance for that type of leak to occur.

I think all of this is correct. With a new city, though, all press is probably good press.

WWads

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:26 am

Good on BNA.

Now if only CVG could get its concourse situation sorted out. DL has a stranglehold on B, where CBP is located. That means that international flights on other airlines can arrive at B, but then must be towed to A for departure. An obnoxious extra step that adds cost in the long-run.

Hopefully CVG can negotiate to get at least one CBP connected B gate opened up for common use. If that happens, I'd say CVG has a solid shot at a BA flight. The airport is offering incentives.
Last edited by WWads on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
This is long overdue. I'm stunned it got announced this soon.

Well, the article says "An announcement is expected as soon as next week" so the announcement doesn't have to be next week it could still be a month away.

You just aren't going to accept the fact BNA is going to get this first over IND are you? When the MNAA newsletter comes out, will you then?

As reliable as a newspaper may be, it's not an official announcement. We have plenty of threads where we here X airline is about to order Y airplane - that's not an announcement, it's a rumor. I get that this is most likely a precursor but it's still in the not-official category and should be handled that way.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:52 am

slvfly wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
slvfly wrote:

Direct flights to London and Tokyo are the top overseas priorities for BNA officials. Now that they (hopefully it will be officially announced soon) landed London, my guess is the attention will turn to Tokyo.

Why Tokyo? Does BNA even have the O&D demand for such a market?

There's the Nissan, Bridgestone angle and if you hang around in Nashville and Memphis, you'll always see some Japanese tourist. Remember, Northwest was knocking around Tokyo at Memphis on the 788's they had on order before the Delta merger.

I feel that BA may be expediting expansion to head off Norwegian. But Norwegian announced Austin recently so who knows. As with New Orleans, I'm sure there's some incentives and would the airport
risk undercutting their new found legacy service while courting a LCC on the same same route. Austin has had time to mature.

Anyone know how The NO flight is doing now as the new wears off a bit.

B747forever

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:34 am

Wow, BA and LHR continue to strengthen their position as number 1 for TATL flights. Quite impressed by how BA keeps on adding secondary US cities while most other carriers only serve the main markets.

Congrats to BNA!
Work Hard, Fly Right

SANFan

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 am

Everyone is assuming the BNA start will be next spring or summer?

Seems to me there's a lot of unknowns about this; lots of this just doesn't seem usual... And I still say BA can't be too happy about the way this is being handled by the local entities. My understanding is that BA likes to, at the least, be involved in the announcement, with none of this pre-announcement stuff floating around..

Congratulations to Nashville... I hope.

bb

rbavfan

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
This is long overdue. I'm stunned it got announced this soon.

Well, the article says "An announcement is expected as soon as next week" so the announcement doesn't have to be next week it could still be a month away.

True, but this is an official paper, so it carries a little more credibility than a rumor site.

I wonder why they leaked this?

The Arizona Republic is an "official" paper as well. They also write stories noting "sources said" so that if it does not happen they have a fall back. Until BA, BNA or the State officially announce it, it is a rumor. I don't care what city it is. The wording of the text in the paper shows it is not confirmed. Would it be nice. Yes. I doubt weather it will start from LHR as there are a limited amount of slots. What is BA willing to drop to add this flight?

rbavfan

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:23 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Wow BA is that powerful. Sorry but a US paper will print if BA likes it or not.

Andy33

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:29 am

BA isn't really in a position to expedite expansion. They have just one new plane due this year, a 788 in Q4. No planes are leaving the fleet either.
Next year there are three more 788s and a couple of 789s, but looking at the 787 production thread these won't arrive in time for the summer timetable start, they'll be lucky to get more than two by May/June 2018.
So to expand, they have to contract their own-metal operations elsewhere, either by reducing frequency or enlisting the help of partner airlines.
That's not to say this isn't an accurate rumour, for all I know it may well be.

chrisnh

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 am

I don't think BA can be pleased with a Noozepaper blasting out a 400-word article filled with phrases like, 'Officials aren't commenting.' News that isn't...yet.

DXBDFWHGA

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 am

Great news for BNA! I was surprised when BA picked MSY over BNA.

Cunard

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:41 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

British Airways US-LHR routes

Atlanta
Austin
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Houston
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
Nashville (uncommfirmed)
New Orleans
New York JFK
Newark
Philadelphia
Phoenix
San Diego
San Jose
Seattle
Washington

US-LGW routes

Fort Lauderdale
New York JFK
Oakland
Orlando
Tampa

US-LCY

New York JFK

If Nashville is finally confirmed British Airways will fly to 24 destinations within the United States of America a very impressive network.

What's next St. Louis or Indianapolis, to be honest I was expecting St. Louis before Nashville but if confirmed well done to all concerned in gaining the next USA destination for British Airways.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

kingcavalier

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 am

Cunard- BA serves SFO, no?
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Just a thought, but I wonder whether this story would have been published, if it was not for the "sewage incident" that happened earlier in the day. The story was published at 7:55 p.m. CT, and a story about something like this would usually be published in the morning...

OA940

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm

I would've thought they would launch a few other routes before that, but I'm not complaining. How many routes does this bring BA to?
A350/CSeries = bae

Cunard

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm

kingcavalier wrote:
Cunard- BA serves SFO, no?

Good call :-)

I had completely forgotten to add San Francisco.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

787fan8

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:11 pm

OA940 wrote:
I would've thought they would launch a few other routes before that, but I'm not complaining. How many routes does this bring BA to?

With the addition of BNA, BA will fly a total of 28 routes to the US.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

airbazar

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
They would put a 788/9 on it. That's how they started BOS, and BNA is a tad closer to NRT than BOS. Japan flights arrive in the morning and leave early afternoon. The London arrival would be mid afternoon with an early evening departure. That assuming they operate as they do from other cities.

BOS started as a 788 and it's now a 789.
Just for reference, when the flight was started with a 788, BOS-NRT was at over 60,000 annual passengers. It was back then the largest Asian destination from BOS. What is the BNA-NRT passenger volume, currently?

ayoungblood2

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
LHR seems totally reasonable, but how many international flights do they expect that need customs on arrivals at the same time? They are proposing what looks like a massive international arrivals building.

My guess is that this construction is being made with a very long term future in mind. There is a growing white collar population in the Nashville metro area, and those people will be able to afford to travel more. I wouldn't be surprised to see increased service to the Caribbean, and maybe at some point in the future a flight to CDG, LGW, or FRA operated by a carrier like Norwegian or Condor. After all, Southwest is starting a Cancun flight in November in addition to the Delta and American flights.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:27 pm

"North American HQ for Nissan are in Nashville so imagine there is a contract with Nissan/Renault that may generate some connections from France, also VW Chattanooga is ~2 hours southeast of BNA which may drive some connecting traffic from Germany. I am sure there is a large chunk of international business travelers that would much rather fly to BNA vs ATL for an easier arrival and departure experience if they can get on/off the international leg there.[/quote]"

There's also the non-stops to CLT Nissan/Renault could connect on OneWorld Partner AA which go directly to CDG if they have that much traffic going to France.

finnishway

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:30 pm

This was only a matter of time.

I just hope it will be much cheaper than with stopovers.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm

ayoungblood2 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
LHR seems totally reasonable, but how many international flights do they expect that need customs on arrivals at the same time? They are proposing what looks like a massive international arrivals building.

My guess is that this construction is being made with a very long term future in mind. There is a growing white collar population in the Nashville metro area, and those people will be able to afford to travel more. I wouldn't be surprised to see increased service to the Caribbean, and maybe at some point in the future a flight to CDG, LGW, or FRA operated by a carrier like Norwegian or Condor. After all, Southwest is starting a Cancun flight in November in addition to the Delta and American flights.

I wonder if BA's expansion (AUS, MSY and now possibly BNA) is to fend off Norwegian to some degree. That's a lot of second tier cities in a short time frame to be added. Keeping in mind that for each city added, that takes some pax off of AA's flights that are connecting to AA/BA TATL metal.

RDUDDJI

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Congrats to BNA! (if true). You guys deserve it.

PS: BNA-TYO, that's hilarious, even with low fuel prices.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

klm617

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 pm

If I am reading this article correctly nothing is set in stone yet and it just states that they are getting money together trying to persuade BA to add BNA but nothing is official yet.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Lexy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 pm

klm617 wrote:
If I am reading this article correctly nothing is set in stone yet and it just states that they are getting money together trying to persuade BA to add BNA but nothing is official yet.

That's not what it says.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:18 pm

klm617 wrote:

Of course it isn't "official" yet..... but It's pretty safe to assume that this is set in stone, a newspaper wouldn't publish a story like this unless they were getting some sort of guarantee that a flight was going to happen.

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:29 pm

pezzy669 wrote:
Nashville is a pretty cool city I will say. I had a handful of properties I managed up there and had to go 10-12 times per year for an overnight trip, lucked out one trip and managed to get a hotel room in The Gulch for the same price as far flung Murfreesboro. Great entertainment and nightlife scene, have not done any day activities there but imagine they are just as plentiful.

North American HQ for Nissan are in Nashville so imagine there is a contract with Nissan/Renault that may generate some connections from France, also VW Chattanooga is ~2 hours southeast of BNA which may drive some connecting traffic from Germany. I am sure there is a large chunk of international business travelers that would much rather fly to BNA vs ATL for an easier arrival and departure experience if they can get on/off the international leg there.

If a VW executive in CHA needs to visit Germany, Chattanooga is less than 90 minutes from ATL driving, and from ATL they can get on a nonstop flight direct to at least 3 markets in Germany: FRA, STR, and MUC. No one wants to drive 2 hours to BNA to fly to LHR to connect to Germany. BNA might possibly pull from middle Tennessee, Southern Kentucky, and possibly a few leisure travelers will drive in from Knoxville. There is no air service these days between BNA and MEM, so Memphis travelers will probably continue to make connections to LHR through ATL, ORD, and DFW. Nashville has long had some insurance and banking activity, so there may be a few people that need to get to London for work.

GSPSPOT

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Congrats to BNA, but are there any business links specifically between Nashville and southern England? Entertainment is big on both ends, but Nashville's brand is very specific.
Great Lakes, great life.

airbazar

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
I wonder if BA's expansion (AUS, MSY and now possibly BNA) is to fend off Norwegian to some degree. That's a lot of second tier cities in a short time frame to be added. Keeping in mind that for each city added, that takes some pax off of AA's flights that are connecting to AA/BA TATL metal.

It absolutely plays a role. And you left out FLL too. And it's not just DY. It's WOW, and FI, and every carrier that is about to receive NEO/MAX aircraft in the next few years.
It also helps that fuel costs are very low.

ayoungblood2

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:07 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
ayoungblood2 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

I would assume so. However, I think its very safe to say that DY appeals much more to leisure travelers and BA would carry more business travelers. With that said, however, I do think that BA feels threatened by DY and rightfully so. After all, DY offers direct service to multiple cities from destinations in the US. For example, out of FLL DY flies direct to six European destinations, whereas BA only has service to LGW. Some passengers are willing to sacrifice comfort and luxury in order to arrive at their destination sooner. I think that BA is trying to compensate for this by beating DY into some of those second tier cities and establishing presence and brand loyalty there before DY comes in.

Lexy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Congrats to BNA, but are there any business links specifically between Nashville and southern England? Entertainment is big on both ends, but Nashville's brand is very specific.

There's business connections all over the world for Nashville and surrounding cities. It's not all about music.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

lavalampluva

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Has anything, on this, been published by BA? The links I've seen seem more speculative. :roll:
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:32 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

The Memphis tourism board touched on this. The UK is in the top five of international travelers visiting Memphis. Last year, that number was over 2 million. They stated that they average a 3 night stay. They mention this in the context of what they call the Music triangle. A combination of Nashville/Memphis/New Orleans make that up with the Delta/Blues in between MEM and NO.
Johnny Cash is iconic to younger musicians and their fans. Arkansas State and the Cash family have done a superb job is restoring Cash's childhood home at Dyess Colony across the river Northeast Arkansas. It doesn't just give a glimpse of the rural life that produced Cash but of the town itself, which was a product of FDR's WPA. I suspect they'll push for a National Historical Site designation in a few years.

You combine the Music angle with the rise of river cruising and you have some drivers of some non business O&D not just from this side of the pond. Nashville gets some of that river cruising but not nearly as much as Memphis and New Orleans. But, it could play an even larger role as that industry continues to grow. Viking will really grow the international aspect of it once they figure a fix around the shipbuilding issue.
I still think Norwegian takes a A321LR and services StL, Mem(seasonal)and Nashville with it. All cities being a less than daily service. New Orleans will require a 787 or a Boeing MOM. We'll have to see real world ranges proved out before hand, though.
Last edited by WaywardMemphian on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos