Lexy

Re: Rumor: British Airways to launch Nashville

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:17 pm

5 days a week service with 788 as the equipment starting May 2018.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

KarelXWB

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Here's the press release:

http://mediacentre.britishairways.com/p ... 2?ref=News

The route will be operated by a Boeing 787-8, with return fares in World Traveller starting from £749, £1196 in World Traveller Plus and £1849 in Club World available to book now on ba.com.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

sevenfeet

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm

More details....service will be to Heathrow (it was Nashville to Gatwick back 30 years ago) and the aircraft will be the 787-8.

jasoncrh

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 pm

AA flew to Gatwick in 1994, which was 20 years ago, not 30. Nobody flew to Gatwaick 30 years ago.

quote="sevenfeet"]More details....service will be to Heathrow (it was Nashville to Gatwick back 30 years ago) and the aircraft will be the 787-8.[/quote]

commavia

Re: British Airways to launch Nashville

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Awesome - great to see it officially confirmed. I continue to believe this route will do quite well and, like MSY, I fully expect BA to increase capacity (in the form of frequency and/or gauge) shortly after launch based on market response.

southwest1675
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

sevenfeet

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
AA flew to Gatwick in 1994, which was 20 years ago, not 30. Nobody flew to Gatwaick 30 years ago.

{quote="sevenfeet"]More details....service will be to Heathrow (it was Nashville to Gatwick back 30 years ago) and the aircraft will be the 787-8.
[/quote]

Sorry, typo on my phone. :)

Cunard

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pm

sevenfeet

Considering this thread has gone on and on I am shocked to see that know one has responded to your post after 2 hours!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm

My page hadn't updated so ignore my last post as it seems posters have responded to the news!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

commavia

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Any sense of how this will be gated?

I can't remember for sure, but I believe BNA's FIS gates are on A, so that would obviously be where arrivals are handled. And based on the schedule, with a 90 minute turn time, I doubt they'd be towing over to C to depart out of the AA gate area (which would then have access to the Admirals Club for CW/elites), so is there a lounge space in A that BA can use?

southwest1675
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:34 pm

commavia wrote:

I can't remember for sure, but I believe BNA's FIS gates are on A, so that would obviously be where arrivals are handled. And based on the schedule, with a 90 minute turn time, I doubt they'd be towing over to C to depart out of the AA gate area (which would then have access to the Admirals Club for CW/elites), so is there a lounge space in A that BA can use?

Well, the current IAB is getting renovated. The rennovations will be done just in time for the service to start. No clue how that will work. Too early too tell. Back with AA's LGW flight, it would arrive at A5, and be towed to C11 or C12.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

HeyHey

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Anecdotally, I'm sensing that there is going to be a lot of induced demand with his flight. The vast majority of my coworkers had all heard of this after the initial rumor-based announcement by the Tennessean and were excited to go nonstop to London. Knowledge of the flight grew pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see what the daily passenger count was prior to this flight vs what it will be after this flight. People value nonstop service and will now consider London more frequently as a destination because of the ease of getting there.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:48 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
commavia wrote:

Well, the current IAB is getting renovated. The rennovations will be done just in time for the service to start. No clue how that will work. Too early too tell. Back with AA's LGW flight, it would arrive at A5, and be towed to C11 or C12.

Because of the lounge situation, I expect a tow over to the C elbow (conveniently right across from the Admirals Club), but that is indeed a tight turn time. The Admirals Club is one of the nicer outstation clubs in the system.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Lexy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
commavia wrote:

Because of the lounge situation, I expect a tow over to the C elbow (conveniently right across from the Admirals Club), but that is indeed a tight turn time. The Admirals Club is one of the nicer outstation clubs in the system.

We recently had 788 parking stop marks painted on C11.

southwest1675
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:01 pm

I also assume BA will be using some of AA's ticket counter space.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

commavia

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

HeyHey wrote:
Anecdotally, I'm sensing that there is going to be a lot of induced demand with his flight. The vast majority of my coworkers had all heard of this after the initial rumor-based announcement by the Tennessean and were excited to go nonstop to London. Knowledge of the flight grew pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see what the daily passenger count was prior to this flight vs what it will be after this flight. People value nonstop service and will now consider London more frequently as a destination because of the ease of getting there.

Oh absolutely. The presence of a nonstop will absolutely induce demand on the flight, not to mention capture a higher incremental share of traffic that is presently traveling on competitors. Thus my enthusiasm about the performance of this flight - just like MSY, and AUS before it, BA will have the only network carrier nonstops in the market, linking a strong and growing U.S. metro with a massive hub, and one of the largest and most important business markets in the world.

Lexy wrote:
We recently had 788 parking stop marks painted on C11.

Interesting. So I guess that may answer the question. I do find that interesting, though, given such a short turnaround time - not that it would take hours and hours to move a plane from A to C, but with only 90 minutes to clean, fuel, load and recater a widebody - that does seem tight. Maybe the cleaners can get on the plane at A and be going through the aisles while it's towing over to C. :) It does seem logical for BA to depart out of C, though, given the presence of the Admirals Club right across from C11.

Lexy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:49 pm

We have FIS cleared cleaners get on the CUN plane at A5, clean it, get off, then tow it over to C5 every weekend. Works well for us!

LAX772LR

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Now the question is where does the ship that will operate it come from?

I'm guessing MSY gets upgauged to 789 (since it's there all the time now anyways) in order to free up a 788.
Or perhaps one of the Canadian routes?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CXGabriel

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 pm

airbazar

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:37 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
And they are ending 3 routes this year in October, thus, freeing up equipment. And they have plenty of 788's (what will be used on the BNA-LHR route) to use (which wouldn't even begin until Spring/Summer of next year).

They do not have plenty of 788's. In fact they don't have any free ones until next year. And yes, canceling routes would free up equipment hence my post stating so.

Midwestindy wrote:
LHR/LGW-BNA is not going to start this year anyway, it is going to start in 2018 and likely not until late spring/early summer, so they don't need a plane this year anyway....

Right! Hence my response to the poster who was suggesting that it could.

Doesn't anyone read the entire thread before taking single responses out of context?

HeyHey wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of people were driving to ATL and not factoring into the current count.

LAX772LR wrote:

In reply 153 someone posted that BA is getting an additional 788 in May. Lines up perfectly for the start of this route.
Last edited by airbazar on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cunard

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:42 pm

CXGabriel wrote:

It was made official earlier in the day when British Airways made there press release not when airwaysmag.com picked up on the story!

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:46 pm

airbazar wrote:
HeyHey wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of people were driving to ATL and not factoring into the current count.

I don't know anybody (and certainly not high-yielding folks) who drives to ATL to fly TATL from BNA now. I think there may be some double ticketing, however.

RamblinMan

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
I don't know anybody (and certainly not high-yielding folks) who drives to ATL to fly TATL from BNA now. I think there may be some double ticketing, however.

Probably not Nashvillians, but tons of folks down here in Chattanooga do that. Price and schedule being equal, I'd much rather use BNA. And then there will be folks from Cookeville/Crossville that are currently indifferent between BNA and TYS, or from Jackson who are closer to MEM but would drive to BNA for a nonstop.

Probably the bigger traffic boost will come from selling connections through LHR to Africa, India, and Asia. A LOT of destinations currently requiring a multi-stop itinerary will be reachable with a single connection.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:46 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Probably not Nashvillians, but tons of folks down here in Chattanooga do that. Price and schedule being equal, I'd much rather use BNA. And then there will be folks from Cookeville/Crossville that are currently indifferent between BNA and TYS, or from Jackson who are closer to MEM but would drive to BNA for a nonstop.

Probably the bigger traffic boost will come from selling connections through LHR to Africa, India, and Asia. A LOT of destinations currently requiring a multi-stop itinerary will be reachable with a single connection.

Chattanooga and Knoxville spill are good points. BNA is on the right side of town for both of them. ATL is decidedly on the wrong side of town for Chattanoogans.

RDUDDJI

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
airbazar wrote:
HeyHey wrote:

This. Seriously who would waste 3.5+ hours driving each way (when you could do a connection in 1-2 hrs) to pay MORE for a non-stop as opposed to just taking a connection. It amazes me how many a.netters just don't get that.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Lexy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm

You forgot to tack on the extra hour it takes to get all the way through ATL. There's bigger draw from Chattanooga to BNA. Historically, it's always been that way.

AAvgeek744

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

I'm guessing MSY gets upgauged to 789 (since it's there all the time now anyways) in order to free up a 788.
Or perhaps one of the Canadian routes?

They have 4 -8's and two -9's still to be delivered. Not sure what the delivery dates are, not where I can look it up right now. It's been mentioned in this thread or in the other never ending thread on which city gets the next flights.

AAvgeek744

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Chattanooga and Knoxville spill are good points. BNA is on the right side of town for both of them. ATL is decidedly on the wrong side of town for Chattanoogans.

I see quite a few cars from Alabama in the parking lots. Huntsville is an easy drive. Not to mention a good chunk of southwestern Kentucky.

AAvgeek744

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Lexy wrote:
You forgot to tack on the extra hour it takes to get all the way through ATL. There's bigger draw from Chattanooga to BNA. Historically, it's always been that way.

I took a friend to pick up a row of 727 seats he'd bought from DL when he worked for them. It took longer to get from Marietta to ATL, than it did from Chattanooga.

AAvgeek744

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 pm

HeyHey wrote:

Agreed. I think most everyone is pleased by this. I did see a post on one of the TV stations Facebook page where the flight would be used to send terrorists to Nashville. As much as I wanted to point out the numerous flaws in that statement I chose no to. I certainly hope this flight does well and eventually goes daily. I don't expect it to be the phenom of BA going into AUS and at least for awhile going to a 772, but Nashville has been working hard to be a big league city. This is a good boost.

Lexy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
HeyHey wrote:

Agreed. I think most everyone is pleased by this. I did see a post on one of the TV stations Facebook page where the flight would be used to send terrorists to Nashville. As much as I wanted to point out the numerous flaws in that statement I chose no to. I certainly hope this flight does well and eventually goes daily. I don't expect it to be the phenom of BA going into AUS and at least for awhile going to a 772, but Nashville has been working hard to be a big league city. This is a good boost.

Saw that too. I laughed out loud at that. So many folks are just down right uneducated and paranoid.

ADrum23

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 pm

A couple of thoughts as this thread comes to a close (now that BNA-LHR on BA is finally happening).

1. I am surprised it was announced this early. While I was anticipating an announcement this year (given the record growth in the airport and the region as a whole), I was not expecting early August for an announcement date.

2. I still think IND could be announced this fall. I believe both MSY-LHR and FLL-LGW were announced last fall, so why not have more than one this year?

3. I wonder what kind of incentives the MNAA gave BA?

4. I am utterly shocked it is running 5x a week. I was expecting more like 3-4x to start.

5. I expect another TATL will follow this within 2-3 years. Perhaps seasonal CON to Frankfurt (like MSY and AUS) or DL to CDG (like RDU).

Anyway, three cheers for BNA finally entering the TATL market!

Lexy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 pm

1.5 million with a 500k guarantee. Up to 50 separate corporations were behind this along with the city and state.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
A couple of thoughts as this thread comes to a close (now that BNA-LHR on BA is finally happening).

1. I am surprised it was announced this early. While I was anticipating an announcement this year (given the record growth in the airport and the region as a whole), I was not expecting early August for an announcement date.

2. I still think IND could be announced this fall. I believe both MSY-LHR and FLL-LGW were announced last fall, so why not have more than one this year?

4. I am utterly shocked it is running 5x a week. I was expecting more like 3-4x to start.

5. I expect another TATL will follow this within 2-3 years. Perhaps seasonal CON to Frankfurt (like MSY and AUS) or DL to CDG (like RDU).

Looking at the rest of the US cities with TATL service, BNA should not have to wait long for additional nonstop TATL.

Incentives: The state is providing $1.5 million in incentives to British Airways to support the launch of the international flight, while the city government will provide a "stop-gap" of up to $500,000 to cover potential losses by the airline. http://fox17.com/news/local/nashville-i ... ays-a-week
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

rbavfan

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Congrats on getting the flight. BA official Press release out now. I wish it would have been without the 2 million in incentives, as it weakens the long term viability of the launch of the route. Just ask all those cities & states that have paid Allegiant, Spirit & others to start service.

southwest1675
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Looking at the rest of the US cities with TATL service, BNA should not have to wait long for additional nonstop TATL.

Incentives: The state is providing $1.5 million in incentives to British Airways to support the launch of the international flight, while the city government will provide a "stop-gap" of up to $500,000 to cover potential losses by the airline. http://fox17.com/news/local/nashville-i ... ays-a-week

Best of luck to you and IND. It was was worth the wait for us Nashville folks.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

rbavfan

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
airbazar wrote:

This. Seriously who would waste 3.5+ hours driving each way (when you could do a connection in 1-2 hrs) to pay MORE for a non-stop as opposed to just taking a connection. It amazes me how many a.netters just don't get that.

fewer connections mean longer rest during flight & also less chance of your luggage going to the wrong airport due to transfer mixup. So yeah I'd drive the extra.

rbavfan

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

More important with that 3.5 hour drive is BNA customs does not have dozens of planes unloading at the same time. The reason I flew to Europe via CVG with Delta. Much shorter lines & time at customs on return is worth the drive.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Best of luck to you and IND. It was was worth the wait for us Nashville folks.

:thumbsup:

ADrum23

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 pm

rbavfan wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

fewer connections mean longer rest during flight & also less chance of your luggage going to the wrong airport due to transfer mixup. So yeah I'd drive the extra.

This. Plus, I'd rather clear customs at a smaller airport rather than at ATL, JFK, CLT, etc. With all the strict rules these days, customs can take a while, which is also why I'd rather connect overseas than in the US.

fsafsx

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:27 pm

i was really hopping indianapolis would get this flight first

ADrum23

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 pm

One last thing, how in the heck did they manage to get 5x a week? I thought this flight would start at 3-4x at the most.

SunsetLimited

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Congrats to BNA. Well deserved.

I've witnessed first hand just how dynamic the Nashville region is over the past, say, 18 months. It's really something to see and if you haven't been to the city in a while, you'd be pleasaantly surprised.

I expect this service to go daily within a year.
Spread hope like fire.

gunnerman

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:07 am

The five flights a week will commence on 4 May 2018 from Heathrow T5. The 788 will have 214 seats (35 Club World, 25 World Traveller Plus, 154 World Traveller). Flight time 9hr 5m outbound on BA223, 8h r5m inbound on BA222.

SunsetLimited

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 am

ADrum23 wrote:
One last thing, how in the heck did they manage to get 5x a week? I thought this flight would start at 3-4x at the most.

AUS was launched 5X weekly with 788 and is now daily with 789, so it's not unprecedented.
Spread hope like fire.

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 am

gunnerman wrote:
The five flights a week will commence on 4 May 2018 from Heathrow T5. The 788 will have 214 seats (35 Club World, 25 World Traveller Plus, 154 World Traveller). Flight time 9hr 5m outbound on BA223, 8h r5m inbound on BA222.

Do you know which days it will be?

Lexy

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 am

Midwestindy wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

gunnerman

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 am

Midwestindy wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

No flights on Thursdays and Sundays.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 am

gunnerman wrote:

No flights on Thursdays and Sundays.

Because of the Dreamliner Sabbath.

sevenfeet

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:19 am

ADrum23 wrote:

Probably because all the companies that were consulted on the venture wanted more flexibility for flying days. Three days a week only would be more useful for tourism (both ways). Tourism is important but not nearly enough to make the route profitable. And the city is fronting $500K for potential losses on the route while the service ramps up.

Next stop, Tokyo (the city and state leaders want this badly).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos