Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Camohe
Topic Author

Two QF flights currently dumping fuel over Sydney

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:26 am

Apparently both QF63 to JNB and QF7 to DFW are currently dumping fuel after take-off from SYD. Security threat I wonder?
Last edited by Camohe on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camohe
Topic Author

Re: Two QF flights currently dumping fuel over Sydney

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 am

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/qantas-flight ... xpk3q.html

Both have landed safely. Different issues on each flight apparently-the incidents were not linked. Unusual coincidence I guess.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:54 am

That's a lot of people at one time needing to be delayed/re-accommodated.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Sydscott

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:55 am

Just to be clear the flights aren't literally "dumping fuel over Sydney".......LOL

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 am

Qantas statement on flight disruptions

Both flights were safe to continue on their journey however both flight crews decided to return back to SYD

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... sruptions/
Forum Moderator

Arq

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:28 am

Qantas flight QF 63 from Johannesburg to Sydney also needed to return to Sydney due to a cracked pane of glass on the aircraft windscreen. >>>>> I'm confused by this statement, JNB flight to SYD should not have to return to Sydey.

But it's obviously a typo after continue reading.

SoCalPilot

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:44 am

qf789 wrote:
Both flights were safe to continue on their journey however both flight crews decided to return back to SYD

Flaps not retracting means you can continue to your destination 14.5 hours away?

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:06 am

Arq wrote:
Qantas flight QF 63 from Johannesburg to Sydney also needed to return to Sydney due to a cracked pane of glass on the aircraft windscreen. >>>>> I'm confused by this statement, JNB flight to SYD should not have to return to Sydey.

But it's obviously a typo after continue reading.

QF63 operates from SYD not to SYD
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Flaps not retracting means you can continue to your destination 14.5 hours away?

As stated in the QF press release they chose to return to SYD as not being able to retract the flaps would be less efficient not to mention SYD is where HQ is for Qantas
Forum Moderator

jetfuel

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 am

Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

Camohe
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:28 am

Sydscott wrote:
Just to be clear the flights aren't literally "dumping fuel over Sydney".......LOL

True. I should of written that they were dumping fuel off the Sydney coast. My mistake

CBRboy

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 am

qf789 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
qf789 wrote:

As stated in the QF press release they chose to return to SYD as not being able to retract the flaps would be less efficient not to mention SYD is where HQ is for Qantas

Seems unlikely that the aircraft could have made it to DFW with flaps extended, surely?

VapourTrails

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:36 am

It's quite a good video, bar the dialogue.

It has been a long day one way or another, make that a week. :cry2:

:relieved:

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:46 am

Both flights have been delayed overnight

It is expected that QF63 SYD-JNB will now depart SYD at 8am tomorrow
QF7 SYD-DFW is now scheduled to depart SYD at 1130am tomorrow

I would also expect QF11/12 SYD-LAX tomorrow to be subbed by the 744
Forum Moderator

LoganTheBogan

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 am

QF 41 Sydney to Jakarta has been delayed departing Sydney by about six hours after a small fuel leak was detected. The plane is now due to depart for Jakarta at 7.20pm. 3 in ONE day. Is it me or has Qantas been having trouble with their aircraft of late?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 am

LoganTheBogan wrote:
QF 41 Sydney to Jakarta has been delayed departing Sydney by about six hours after a small fuel leak was detected. The plane is now due to depart for Jakarta at 7.20pm. 3 in ONE day. Is it me or has Qantas been having trouble with their aircraft of late?

No more than usual. Its not the first time they have had multiple delays due to technical issues. Lets not forget that Australian media likes to over inflate things when it comes to QF, not to mention that they are all running with this as one of their top stories, I have seen one report being reported as "Double Trouble," yet the same media has shown very little interest in talking about the alleged terrorist plot that was uncovered last weekend.
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 am

QF23 has also gone tech needing a engine replaced
Forum Moderator

qf71

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am

LoganTheBogan wrote:

They have been having many noticeable delays as they have cut their Wide Body Fleet to the bone and increased utilisation to the maximum. So now when an aircraft turnaround mid flight or goes tech on ground we see rolling delays as there is no longer spare WB aircraft in the QF fleet to simply sub in or do an aircraft swap. An example is todays SYD-CGK which once upon a time could have been subbed out with a B767 or an A330 from domestic that in itself could have then been subbed by a B767.

QF no longer has the flexibility in its Widebody fleet that it once enjoyed.

I wonder why they couldn't keep VH-OJM (B744) around a little longer as an operational spare? As the aircraft was still at least 2,500hrs away from a D Check...

It's all good increasing utilisation and retiring spare aircraft until it impacts the reputation of the airline, hurting renenue and profits.

Jayafe

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am

I always wondered how expensive could be for situations like QF's one to get 1 or 2 used A380 added to the fleet as spares. Market opportunity and reputation increase.

AntonioMartin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 am

Crazy..good that everyone landed well...

smi0006

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am

[list=][/list]
Jayafe wrote:
I always wondered how expensive could be for situations like QF's one to get 1 or 2 used A380 added to the fleet as spares. Market opportunity and reputation increase.

I'm not sure about spares, but if hey we're cheap enoughreduce the utilisation rate where it isn't impacting dispatch reliability - as any aircraft ages no matter the quality of Maintance thins pop up, I would assume there is a fine line with ultilisation where it impacts reliability.

I though the 1 or 2 of the MH birds may have been a good fit. Just to ease up on the 744 and 380 a bit and maybe upgauge HKG?

They will be hard pressed to find accomodation in Sydney tonight - fuel, crew hours and hotel accomodation are amazingly expensive (I've heard AUD 8mil for a 380 diversion) - however now the media have it I wonder if a $$ value can be assigned to the brand damage?

Poor QF groundstafd in Sydney - 3 widbodies and international connections - with limited space to work in! Poor bastard will be in need of a stiff drink tonight once they are done - tomorrow will be just as harsh for them. Passenger aren't so forgiving these days.

TOGA10

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 am

CBRboy wrote:
qf789 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

Seems unlikely that the aircraft could have made it to DFW with flaps extended, surely?

No way the aircraft would've made it. Flying with flaps (partially) extended has multiple effects. One is the increased drag which causes a much higher fuel flow. Another one is that you will be limited in altitude as well, which also causes higher fuel flow. These two factors alone will cause a return to a suitable airfield instead of continuing to your destination.
Another thing is that you probably want to go back to your maintenance base if possible to get it fixed asap.
I wanna go back upstairs!

qf789

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:17 am

Jayafe wrote:

Qantas will have a couple spare A380's from March next year so it would be a waster of money and resources to get anymore. With the MEL-DXB-LHR A388 service ending they will have more flexibility in their fleet, while it is probable that A388's will start be refurbished the only other indication Qantas have given so far is that they would deployed into Asia during peak times, this suggests that they will be flying to Asia when required not all the time. Qantas has 12 A380's in its fleet and doesn't need anymore than that and there are only limited markets they can operate them to. As noted up thread QF11/12 to LAX which is operated by the A388 6 days a week, the other day being the 744 is the route that gets subbed if a A388 goes tech
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos