Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hotelima
Topic Author

A380 on french Indies routes ?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Since more than 10 years on its French Indies routes (ORY to and PTP or FDF), AF is using with great success B773s in a maximum pax capacity (417 p in a single eco class). I clearly understand for the french airline the economics interest of such an accomodation but I cant understand how rare are the passengers who do not claim about the total discomfort of being compressed like herrings in a can during more than 8 hours .My question : why AF do not use the A-380 on these routes, everybody knowing the whale with admittedly 500 or 600 passengers in a single eco class would be largely more comfortable than the ultra loaded B-773 ?

Polot

Re: A380 on french Indies routes ?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:56 pm

An A380 in a single Y class will seat far more than 500-600 passengers. Keep in mind AF's A380 seat 516 people...and that is with F, J, and premium Y.

AF's A380s are too premium heavy for the routes, and the number of extremely Y heavy routes AF has that could support such an A380 configuration isn't enough to justify an A380 subfleet.

BENAir01

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Well AFdid talk a while back about the A380s not working on premium routes and wanting to reconfigure them more Y heavy for routes like this, so this may actually happen some time.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

rukundo

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Since more than 10 years on its French Indies routes (ORY to and PTP or FDF), AF is using with great success B773s in a maximum pax capacity (417 p in a single eco class). I clearly understand for the french airline the economics interest of such an accomodation but I cant understand how rare are the passengers who do not claim about the total discomfort of being compressed like herrings in a can during more than 8 hours .My question : why AF do not use the A-380 on these routes, everybody knowing the whale with admittedly 500 or 600 passengers in a single eco class would be largely more comfortable than the ultra loaded B-773 ?

A380 visited Orly airport in 2009, but currently the airport can handle A380 for diversion. It made some test in 2006, at Pointe à Pitre.

The new junction between Orly South & West could handle A380, but French Indies routes are a seasonal market, in low season load factor are not often high, if we compare to Mauritius, Bangkok or Punta Cana, where the B777 COI Caribes Océan Indien is deployed, which have decent load factor in low season (lots italians, russians & germans). Point à Pitre and Fort de France route are only busy during holidays, mainly in summer and christmas. Paris Orly, is mainly point to point trafic for Air France, with few connections, from domestic flights.

Furthemore, recent years, Air Caraibes gained market share from Air France and with French Blue, Air Caraibes Group will probably get more market share. XL France has also started to serve French Indies routes, from CDG, first with seasonal service and now with a year round service. Don't forget Corsair. Nowergian which serves PTP & FDF from North America, plans to serve both destinations, from Paris. They could be an overcapicity.

Air France has 10 A380s, if they use 2 A380s at Orly, they will remain 8 at Paris CDG. From CDG, AF serves Johannesburg, Abidjan, Mexico, Shanghai, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington and Honk Kong. I think it's better for Air France, to focus A380 ops at Paris CDG.

And if they try to serve Fort De France and Point à Pitre, from CDG, with A380, they will fail. They tried to serve 2 times both destinations, in early 2000s and 2010s, with B747s then B777s, to attract mainly italians & germans tourists but they failed, due to very low factor.
Last edited by rukundo on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stitch

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 pm

hotelima wrote:
AF is using with great success B773s in a maximum pax capacity (417 p in a single eco class). I clearly understand for the french airline the economics interest of such an accomodation but I cant understand how rare are the passengers who do not claim about the total discomfort of being compressed like herrings in a can during more than 8 hours.

rukundo wrote:
Furthemore, recent years, Air Caraibes gained market share from Air France and with French Blue, Air Caraibes Group will probably get more market share. XL France has also started to serve French Indies routes, from CDG, first with seasonal service and now with a year round service.

And with Air Caraïbes and XL Airways both configured with 3+3+3 on their A330s and French Blue's incoming A350-900s at 3+4+3, you think an AF 777-300ER is a sardine can... :crowded: :cheeky:

rukundo

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:43 pm

And with Air Caraïbes and XL Airways both configured with 3+3+3 on their A330s and French Blue's incoming A350-900s at 3+4+3, you think an AF 777-300ER is a sardine can... :crowded: :cheeky:

Yep and no IFE, on XL Airways A330, even on their brand new A330 delivered in 2012.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos