DeltaRules

Re: BA's Next US Destination

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
B747forever wrote:

When will this madness of "BA's next US destination" end? Seriously, BUR?

You can blame BA for that for adding places like AUS, BNA, SJC and OAK over other major markets that lack BA flights to LHR kind of puts the seed in people's minds that anything is possible. Makes everyone think anything is possible. The madness will stop when BA readds DTW flights

And why would BA add flights to markets that are already saturated with TATL flights? The point of all of BA's recent adds (AUS, SJC, OAK, MSY, BNA) was those airports didn't previously have TATL service and they saw an opportunity to go in and become the "trailblazers" (so to speak) there, thus, building up a market share that would make it hard for others to come in and compete. If BA went into DTW, they'd be stepping on the toes of DL and the Skyteam alliance and they'd have a hard time competing. They don't see it being profitable because DL can outdo them. That's what happens when you have one airline controlling 80-90% of the airport traffic. You want to see more foreign airlines coming into DTW, MSP? Tell DL to cut their hub operations at both.

People need to stop talking about BA to DTW, MSP and even CLT, it is not going to happen.

And it's why places like BNA, IND, STL, CMH, and MSY have all been considered plausible for adds. Two of those have come to fruition.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

LAX772LR

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:04 am

ADrum23 wrote:
People need to stop talking about BA to DTW, MSP and even CLT, it is not going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if all three got adds... but just not while there's easier pickings, or pickings that aren't already served by a jv partner.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

greenair727

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:29 am

Was just reading through this thread. Why, oh why, would BA serve Columbus, OH? If we're not talking about BA adding frequencies to existing routes, and only new routes, I'd say CLE, then STL, then MCI. Regarding CMH, CLE is 2x as large in terms of population and in the number of daily travelers to Europe. Plus CLE's economy is $172B vs. CMH's $118B, plus there are established business relationships between Cleveland and London. Not saying BA will begin CLE in the next 12 months, but it makes far more sense than CMH. After CLE, I could see STL.

Midwestindy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:47 am

greenair727 wrote:
Was just reading through this thread. Why, oh why, would BA serve Columbus, OH? If we're not talking about BA adding frequencies to existing routes, and only new routes, I'd say CLE, then STL, then MCI. Regarding CMH, CLE is 2x as large in terms of population and in the number of daily travelers to Europe. Plus CLE's economy is $172B vs. CMH's $118B, plus there are established business relationships between Cleveland and London. Not saying BA will begin CLE in the next 12 months, but it makes far more sense than CMH. After CLE, I could see STL.

Okay now you are getting a little greedy, CLE just got two TATL flights, they don't need a third.... considering the first two routes from CLE haven't even taken off and we have yet to see whether either route has been a success. RDU, MSY, and a few others don't even have 3 TATL flights yet, so why would CLE make so much sense. TATL flights are not determined by GDP and population if they were MSY wouldn't have gotten a flight before CLE.

The fact about CLE being 2x as large as CMH in terms of pax to Europe is blatantly wrong. CLE only had 26.7% more pax to Europe than CMH from September '16-August '17,(CLE-214 PDEW CMH-157 PDEW) and now CLE has two carriers eating into the number of possible TATL passengers a third carrier could carry. Therefore, right now CMH is now a more logical add considering there is no competiton, and there are more potential pax that can be served at CMH, now that CLE has two TATL flights.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

DeltaRules

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:49 pm

greenair727 wrote:

Why, oh why, would BA serve Austin, TX, New Orleans, LA, or Nashville, TN? Why would WOW go to Pittsburgh, PA, Cleveland, OH, Cincinnati, OH, or St. Louis, MO? How about Icelandair to CLE or DL daring to try an Indianapolis, IN-CDG flight after doing PIT and Raleigh, NC-CDG, Condor to PIT, etc.? If not for a really damn nice Residence Inn in New Orleans, I wouldn't have any of those cities on my to-do list, and I'm an American. (And, being totally fair, I could see somebody from outside not having Columbus on their must-see list unless they had a reason, either.)

Alas, there's a feeding frenzy going on for Midwestern cities going on right now and the combination of potential demand (business or leisure) and lots of cash being thrown in the direction of airlines is stimulating the growth. Would any of the cities above other than MSY, AUS, and maybe BNA have TATL without forking over money for the privilege and/or some other factor stimulating the demand (in the case of RDU with AA to LHR being pharmaceutical-driven, CVG still being by a DL hub, and IND, PIT, and RDU in part feeding a Skyteam hub at CDG)?

Point is, all of the above cities now have TATL service, whether it's nonstop or via Iceland. Columbus is the last one in the region without a dance partner right now and is offering an incentive somewhat comparable to other cities ($675k cash plus waived landing fees for two years); it takes two to tango, but the fact it's still up for grabs means that somebody will likely eventually ask "Cbus" to the prom. The Columbus Dispatch has already mentioned that, while WW and FI have both apparently passed (at least for now), CMH and local business figures meet regularly with BA. Will they send a 787? I lean toward no, at least out of the gate. But will they talk AA into sending a 757 and codesharing? That could work, especially given AA's the leading non-WN carrier at CMH in terms of market share and pushing 50 flights a day. And then there's the rumored DL focus city-AMS expansion, with DL's nice FF base in town. Concourse C has a new TSA checkpoint which connects to FIS with a re-entry into the concourse, almost as if it was built for somebody who might have asked for it or want it. If none of them bite, DY could come into play.

It comes down to would an airline rather have the entire room to themselves or do they want to try to whack WW/FI/DE/DY with a broom so they (DL, AA, BA) can have the good seat on the couch?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

flymco753

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Like I've said before, and I'm not trying to be rude or shoot it down because it could happen for CMH one day, but CMH is sandwiched pretty good between airports with TATL service, and I think the reason airlines aren't doing it because of the pressure. CVG, PIT and CLE have ULCC's, IND has TATL and if you want to stretch it, ORD and DTW have an abundance of both. If AA does it, it'll be a distinguishable market because it's not DL. I don't see why a 757 can't work, but it all depends on AA's plans and what they want to do, I think the main issue CMH has going right now is pressure from the surrounding airports.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos