Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 am

Looking at the November schedule, it's going to be all 32B.

So much for the "premium demand" on this route.
 
User avatar
khunpaul3
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:37 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 am

Too many empty seats on domestic route MIA-LAX-MIA on B77W?
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:48 am

khunpaul3 wrote:
Too many empty seats on domestic route MIA-LAX-MIA on B77W?


They have somewhere else to better utilize the 77W
 
texl1649
Posts: 1458
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:38 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:52 am

LAX is not going to be a growing market moving forward for airlines.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 am

Wow. You'd think they could at least have one flight with lie-flats.

(though I think they're not flying the 757 or 767 into LAX anymore so that might make it difficult)
 
atl100million
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:28 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:59 am

AA dominates MIA-LAX. it has every reason to reduce capacity and offer a less elaborate product in a market where it will carry the traffic regardless of the product offered.

Of course, other carriers could add or expand service, but AA has every reason to cut capacity and get higher fares where it can.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2708
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:05 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
khunpaul3 wrote:
Too many empty seats on domestic route MIA-LAX-MIA on B77W?


They have somewhere else to better utilize the 77W


Usually these are repositioning flights. The aircraft comes in from somewhere like SYD to LAX, goes from LAX to MIA and then from MIA to somewhere like GRU.

The MIA flight might be moving to 772/78x or something, resulting in not needing the 77W in MIA anymore.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13332
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:06 am

texl1649 wrote:
LAX is not going to be a growing market moving forward for airlines.

Right............ which is why AA and DL just invested multiple billion$ to increase their gates and available space, and also why the airport is building a gigantic new concourse for both widebodies and narrowbodies, as well as immediately impending plans for up to two all-new terminals in addition to that.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
nutsaboutplanes
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:10 am

This is solely the result of the change in gauge on the LAX-SYD-LAX routing to a 789 from a 77W. As we get into November several more 789's are in the LAX schedule and the aircraft are rotated more efficiently without having to reposition.

The morning 77W Is always full....it rotates between flight 68 and 1088 which almost always departs TBIT on the aircraft that arrives from SYD.

The 77W will still operate 1xLHR and HKG daily with a second LHR upgauged from 77M to 77W during peaks.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:12 am

Antarius wrote:
Usually these are repositioning flights. The aircraft comes in from somewhere like SYD to LAX, goes from LAX to MIA and then from MIA to somewhere like GRU.

The MIA flight might be moving to 772/78x or something, resulting in not needing the 77W in MIA anymore.


This is because LAX-SYD is moving from 77W to 789 in November. And instead of routing the 789 on MIA-LAX-SYD it will be DFW-LAX-SYD unfortunately.

As for AA having no reason to offer lie flat / widebodies on MIA-LAX since they dominate the route, well, they've dominated the route for at least the past 10 or 15 years and they've always flown at least one widebody on it most of the time. So this is not being caused by any kind of competitive shift in this particular market.
 
nutsaboutplanes
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 am

Consolidating fleet types also allows for better sparing opportunities during critical times of the day which allows for aircraft swaps due to late arriving equipment or mx.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR
 
Antarius
Posts: 2708
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 am

N62NA wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Usually these are repositioning flights. The aircraft comes in from somewhere like SYD to LAX, goes from LAX to MIA and then from MIA to somewhere like GRU.

The MIA flight might be moving to 772/78x or something, resulting in not needing the 77W in MIA anymore.


This is because LAX-SYD is moving from 77W to 789 in November. And instead of routing the 789 on MIA-LAX-SYD it will be DFW-LAX-SYD unfortunately.


Thanks for the info!
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
miaami
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 am

The 77W will now be used for 233/234 MIA-GRU-MIA
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26286
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 am

Returns November 19th (as of now, that could very well change), but if they keep a 77W on the route it will probably need to do an AM from Miami and noon from LA as it would be one parked between EZE/GRU flights.

The discontinuation on the route has nothing to do with the very strong premium demand on the route, rather that there's barely competition and AA can get away with it. If AA starts seeing notable leakage to B6 Mint (doubtful unless B6 ups frequency), it will take the appropriate steps. MIALAX continues to feature the 321T soft product and international lounge access rules.

Unfortunately AA no longer needs to cycle widebodies between MIA and LAX, with no 787s flying to Miami and no 763s flying to LAX. It now shuffles widebodies via Dallas. MIADFW has 3 777s and 2 763s a day, IIRC.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
a.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 am

I'd also suggest this may be temporary- whilst we await the outcome of the latest QF/AA application for JV. The 77W was taken off SYD-LAX as AA/QF weren't able to fully utilise the capacity and premium demand without a full JV. I'd say partially true, partially negotiating tactic. Hopefully know the outcome of the application - as for if that flows back to a MIA rotation, that would be be for the a.net scheduling experts
 
User avatar
RL777
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:30 am

texl1649 wrote:
LAX is not going to be a growing market moving forward for airlines.


Right, and not because AA has an alternative use for it.....
 
dc10rules
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:41 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:34 am

Not to hijack the thread but noticed UA sent a 77W to HNL from ORD today.
 
Sydscott
Posts: 3513
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:50 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 am

smi0006 wrote:
I'd also suggest this may be temporary- whilst we await the outcome of the latest QF/AA application for JV. The 77W was taken off SYD-LAX as AA/QF weren't able to fully utilise the capacity and premium demand without a full JV. I'd say partially true, partially negotiating tactic. Hopefully know the outcome of the application - as for if that flows back to a MIA rotation, that would be be for the a.net scheduling experts


Even if the JV does go ahead I doubt AA would need the 77W back to Australia. It's more likely they'll want to expand to somewhere like MEL using additional 787's and if their customers need First under the JV they can put them on a QF A380. (QF has also confirmed they are doing a refresh to the A380's and will be using the same Business, Premium Economy and Economy seats that the QF 787 uses. They haven't announced a start date for it yet but a new First will keep premium QF/AA pax happy If the JV gets the nod from our friends in the DOJ)
 
flyboy7974
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 am

SYD has nothing to do w this, a 777-300 was overkill on MIA LAX. Mostly upgrades and most pax have no idea what a/c they book, outside of the Airliner world, pax book lowest fares or then the most convenient flight times. The past months a 77W has been flying many days DFW LAX although not scheduled as a substitute. As space becomes avail, you'll continue to see LAX grow as a major player for AA on the west coast.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:08 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
khunpaul3 wrote:
Too many empty seats on domestic route MIA-LAX-MIA on B77W?


They have somewhere else to better utilize the 77W


It's full and commands premium fares in FC. I take it almost monthly if not more. and the cheap FC fares don't always hang around long.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:48 am

flyboy7974 wrote:
SYD has nothing to do w this, a 777-300 was overkill on MIA LAX. Mostly upgrades and most pax have no idea what a/c they book, outside of the Airliner world, pax book lowest fares or then the most convenient flight times. The past months a 77W has been flying many days DFW LAX although not scheduled as a substitute. As space becomes avail, you'll continue to see LAX grow as a major player for AA on the west coast.


FC sell at a premium over the A321 and it full on all my flights this year.
 
nutsaboutplanes
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 am

flyboy7974 wrote:
SYD has nothing to do w this, a 777-300 was overkill on MIA LAX. Mostly upgrades and most pax have no idea what a/c they book, outside of the Airliner world, pax book lowest fares or then the most convenient flight times. The past months a 77W has been flying many days DFW LAX although not scheduled as a substitute. As space becomes avail, you'll continue to see LAX grow as a major player for AA on the west coast.


I think SYD has everything to do with this....if SYD is not a 77W then there is no 77W to operate the AM MIA departure. It makes zero sense to put the 789 on SYD-LAX-MIA as MIA has no 787 ops and it would be a poor routing decision absent a crew base, mx experience and spare aircraft. If SYD was staying 77W, it would be routed to MIA.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26286
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 am

flyboy7974 wrote:
SYD has nothing to do w this, a 777-300 was overkill on MIA LAX. Mostly upgrades and most pax have no idea what a/c they book, outside of the Airliner world, pax book lowest fares or then the most convenient flight times. The past months a 77W has been flying many days DFW LAX although not scheduled as a substitute. As space becomes avail, you'll continue to see LAX grow as a major player for AA on the west coast.


Haha. It's near I mpossible to get an upgrade on this flight and the list is often 30-40 people deep with maybe 1 or 2 clearing. AA often will, purposefully, charge more on this particular flight.
a.
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:39 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
if they keep a 77W on the route it will probably need to do an AM from Miami and noon from LA as it would be one parked between EZE/GRU flights.


Indeed. Depending on how confident AA is of the 77W's dispatch reliability performance - and thus resulting need, perhaps, to keep planes sitting in MIA during the day to do work - it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 77W rotation thrown in going forward on the most "traditional" widebody schedule for AA on this route, which is a morning westbound and noon eastbound, timed for two-way connectivity with South America. That's how the 777 was used on this route for years and years.

MAH4546 wrote:
The discontinuation on the route has nothing to do with the very strong premium demand on the route, rather that there's barely competition and AA can get away with it. If AA starts seeing notable leakage to B6 Mint (doubtful unless B6 ups frequency), it will take the appropriate steps. MIALAX continues to feature the 321T soft product and international lounge access rules.


:checkmark: Exactly.

MAH4546 wrote:
Unfortunately AA no longer needs to cycle widebodies between MIA and LAX, with no 787s flying to Miami and no 763s flying to LAX. It now shuffles widebodies via Dallas. MIADFW has 3 777s and 2 763s a day, IIRC.


Yes - DFW has become an event more extensive widebody bridging point in the schedule than it was back in the early days of the 777. There are now daily flights to get widebodies to LAX, ORD and MIA - and yes, because of both the passenger and cargo volume, DFW-MIA remains probably the most (relatively) widebody-intensive non-transcon/Hawaii market in the domestic U.S.
 
sagechan
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm

I hope, and assume, AA will do some international configured A321neos (maybe LRs?) with lie flat business. Doing a few extra without the full F cabin of the 321T but with 16 or so lie flat seats to put onto some more premium domestic routes like MIA-LAX would be ideal without going to the very low capacity 321T layout.
717, 733, 734, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA, AS
 
Max752
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:56 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:38 pm

khunpaul3 wrote:
Too many empty seats on domestic route MIA-LAX-MIA on B77W?


Not remotely true. I have no idea why posters are suggesting this is the result of low demand. I've tried to both book a ticket and non-rev in both business and first on the 77W on this route. The flight is always full and first class was rarely available. It's because LAX-SYD is going to a 789 for a few months.
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:20 pm

sagechan wrote:
I hope, and assume, AA will do some international configured A321neos (maybe LRs?) with lie flat business. Doing a few extra without the full F cabin of the 321T but with 16 or so lie flat seats to put onto some more premium domestic routes like MIA-LAX would be ideal without going to the very low capacity 321T layout.


That would be nice, but I don't think it would happen.

For years I've been reading on here that MIA-LAX is a "premium" route, but aside from serving an ice cream sundae in F, there is very little indication that AA treats this route as premium at all. Offering a single flight each way each day with lie flat suites, while nice if your schedule matches theirs, is hardly any indication at all that AA considers this route premium. More likely that you end up booking a standard domestic F seat on a 738 or 32B, and you get the same experience as someone flying from Dallas to Sacramento or Charlotte to Phoenix.
 
sagechan
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:55 pm

N62NA wrote:
sagechan wrote:
I hope, and assume, AA will do some international configured A321neos (maybe LRs?) with lie flat business. Doing a few extra without the full F cabin of the 321T but with 16 or so lie flat seats to put onto some more premium domestic routes like MIA-LAX would be ideal without going to the very low capacity 321T layout.


That would be nice, but I don't think it would happen.

For years I've been reading on here that MIA-LAX is a "premium" route, but aside from serving an ice cream sundae in F, there is very little indication that AA treats this route as premium at all. Offering a single flight each way each day with lie flat suites, while nice if your schedule matches theirs, is hardly any indication at all that AA considers this route premium. More likely that you end up booking a standard domestic F seat on a 738 or 32B, and you get the same experience as someone flying from Dallas to Sacramento or Charlotte to Phoenix.


I'd say the chances that AA ends up with some kind of subfleet of A321neos in an international lie flat config is high. The chances such an aircraft gets dedicated to any domestic leg is far less likely, but not zero. Given competitor offerings such as Mint from B6 or DL trying LAX-DCA on a lie flat 757, i could see AA responding in kind with the appropriate aircraft in the fleet. AS does list MIA-LAX in with JFK-LAX/SFO as a premium route for soft product and lounge access so it is a possibility.
717, 733, 734, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA, AS
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26286
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:14 pm

N62NA wrote:
sagechan wrote:
I hope, and assume, AA will do some international configured A321neos (maybe LRs?) with lie flat business. Doing a few extra without the full F cabin of the 321T but with 16 or so lie flat seats to put onto some more premium domestic routes like MIA-LAX would be ideal without going to the very low capacity 321T layout.


That would be nice, but I don't think it would happen.

For years I've been reading on here that MIA-LAX is a "premium" route, but aside from serving an ice cream sundae in F, there is very little indication that AA treats this route as premium at all. Offering a single flight each way each day with lie flat suites, while nice if your schedule matches theirs, is hardly any indication at all that AA considers this route premium. More likely that you end up booking a standard domestic F seat on a 738 or 32B, and you get the same experience as someone flying from Dallas to Sacramento or Charlotte to Phoenix.


It is a premium route, and that's a fact. AA caters it appropriately (sundaes aren't the difference, by the way, you get those on a flight from Charlotte to Phoenix, too) and has international lounge access rules. End of story. That's how AA treats it and continues to treat it. There's barely any competition, and AA can get away with filling A321s and being able to often sell-out the F cabin without having to upgrade anybody.

sagechan wrote:
I'd say the chances that AA ends up with some kind of subfleet of A321neos in an international lie flat config is high. The chances such an aircraft gets dedicated to any domestic leg is far less likely, but not zero. Given competitor offerings such as Mint from B6 or DL trying LAX-DCA on a lie flat 757, i could see AA responding in kind with the appropriate aircraft in the fleet. AS does list MIA-LAX in with JFK-LAX/SFO as a premium route for soft product and lounge access so it is a possibility.


The 757 lie-flat fleet will supposedly become all Miami-based, which will open the possibility to use them on more domestic flying from Miami. AA does not fly 763s to LAX anymore, as a cost cutting measure, but if that changes, I could see them being used on that roue again often.
a.
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
It is a premium route, and that's a fact. AA caters it appropriately (sundaes aren't the difference, by the way, you get those on a flight from Charlotte to Phoenix, too) and has international lounge access rules. End of story. That's how AA treats it and continues to treat it. There's barely any competition, and AA can get away with filling A321s and being able to often sell-out the F cabin without having to upgrade anybody.


"Premium route" and yet over the past four quarters, AA's average fare is in the mid-$200 range. Ouch!
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
It is a premium route, and that's a fact. AA caters it appropriately (sundaes aren't the difference, by the way, you get those on a flight from Charlotte to Phoenix, too) and has international lounge access rules. End of story. That's how AA treats it and continues to treat it. There's barely any competition, and AA can get away with filling A321s and being able to often sell-out the F cabin without having to upgrade anybody.

The 757 lie-flat fleet will supposedly become all Miami-based, which will open the possibility to use them on more domestic flying from Miami. AA does not fly 763s to LAX anymore, as a cost cutting measure, but if that changes, I could see them being used on that roue again often.



They could serve caviar and bon-bons imported from Paris, but if you're stuck in that uncomfortable and cramped A32B F seat, it doesn't matter. It's like sitting on a cement slab after an hour or so.

The 757s are our only hope at this point.
 
bzcat
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm sure the lie-flat beds will be back in January for NATPE. Unless AA wants a riot on its hands.
 
User avatar
jsnww81
Posts: 2541
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:29 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Funny, as every time I've flown LAX-MIA, my upgrades have cleared - and often at the onset of the EXP clearance window.

The narrative that MIA to *everywhere* is just oozing ultra-premium, price-insensitive demand has been pushed on a.net for so long now that it's been accepted as fact by many people.

Is there premium demand from Los Angeles? Sure. Enough to fill up a bunch of A32B cabins all day long. Try as our "narrators" might, that doesn't suggest heavier premium demand than any other A32B route, even if the flight attendants occasionally remember they're supposed to pass out amenity kits before serving a "special, differentiated, extra-premium" meal that looks an awful lot like what's offered on the rest of the non-JFK transcons.
 
nutsaboutplanes
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 pm

N62NA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
It is a premium route, and that's a fact. AA caters it appropriately (sundaes aren't the difference, by the way, you get those on a flight from Charlotte to Phoenix, too) and has international lounge access rules. End of story. That's how AA treats it and continues to treat it. There's barely any competition, and AA can get away with filling A321s and being able to often sell-out the F cabin without having to upgrade anybody.

The 757 lie-flat fleet will supposedly become all Miami-based, which will open the possibility to use them on more domestic flying from Miami. AA does not fly 763s to LAX anymore, as a cost cutting measure, but if that changes, I could see them being used on that roue again often.



They could serve caviar and bon-bons imported from Paris, but if you're stuck in that uncomfortable and cramped A32B F seat, it doesn't matter. It's like sitting on a cement slab after an hour or so.

The 757s are our only hope at this point.



I don't think you will see 757's. All gates at T4 that can handle a 757 are also the widebody gates 41, 43 and 48B). All other gates are only capable of A321 and smaller. The widebody gates are consumed from 0600-1200 and then again from 1600-1200 so there is very little opportunity to gate 757's or additional widebodies.

T5 has some capability but these gates as well are being re-sized to 321 and smaller as plans commence for the 14th and 15th gate adds.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR
 
ayoungblood2
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 pm

atl100million wrote:
AA dominates MIA-LAX. it has every reason to reduce capacity and offer a less elaborate product in a market where it will carry the traffic regardless of the product offered.

Of course, other carriers could add or expand service, but AA has every reason to cut capacity and get higher fares where it can.


Sadly yes. I believe this is primarily a repositioning flight and if I'm correct AA is changing to the 787-9 on LAX-SYD, but I have to admit that I miss the days when widebody domestic flights weren't a rarity.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 am

nutsaboutplanes wrote:
I don't think you will see 757's. All gates at T4 that can handle a 757 are also the widebody gates 41, 43 and 48B). All other gates are only capable of A321 and smaller. The widebody gates are consumed from 0600-1200 and then again from 1600-1200 so there is very little opportunity to gate 757's or additional widebodies.

T5 has some capability but these gates as well are being re-sized to 321 and smaller as plans commence for the 14th and 15th gate adds.


Well, that's disappointing.
 
flymia
Posts: 7129
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:36 am

compensateme wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
It is a premium route, and that's a fact. AA caters it appropriately (sundaes aren't the difference, by the way, you get those on a flight from Charlotte to Phoenix, too) and has international lounge access rules. End of story. That's how AA treats it and continues to treat it. There's barely any competition, and AA can get away with filling A321s and being able to often sell-out the F cabin without having to upgrade anybody.


"Premium route" and yet over the past four quarters, AA's average fare is in the mid-$200 range. Ouch!

Is that one-way or round trip? If one-way that seems like a pretty high fare.

We've had this discussion multiple time before. Before the 772 was taken off, the 77W has been taken off before and always was brought back on. Its always been there because it was a good way to utilize the flet with resting airplanes and provide back ups for international flights while also providing a three-class service. I have done the route many times, and have paid a premium to take the route before it has never not been full.

Anyone who doubts the MIA-LAX route and how big of a demand there is, up front and in the back is just in denial, or just wants to attack the "MIA gang" which does over exaggerate some flights like say NRT, once in a while. But LAX, come on now, that is not an exaggeration, or else they would have never had the 77W and offered 3-class service in the first place. Even B6 puts Mint on FLL-LAX. Unfortunate a wide body won't be on the route given the 767 not going to LAX and a 787 not going to MIA. I would hope its only a matter of time for the 787 to MIA. This is the first time in a very long time that there is no 777 or 767 on the route, if not for over a decade that I can remember at least. Even more shocking no 737-800 on the route. LAX is really going all out on the Airbus fleet.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
jasoncrh
Posts: 780
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:33 am

actually $200 one way is a VERY low fare for a route that distance. that's roughly 8.5 cents a mile. That's extremely low and probably not profitable, so there's no way that, if the $200 fare is accurate, that it's a "premium" route. That is NOT a premium fare.

I did some random checks for dates in September and October for roundtrips. Clearly, it's anecdotal, but most days you could get a $358 roundtrip economy ticket or $1,058 REFUNDABLE First Class ticket. Those are dirt cheap, non premium fares. They seem to be selling the 77W flight for $1,800 refundable in F. Slightly better, but still not premium for a flight of that distance. I routinely fly DCA-ACK and that's usually $500+ roundtrip. Or DCA-SDF roundtrip for the same. Now THAT's a premium fare. First class discount fares JFK - LAX are $2500. That's double the refundable fare LAX-JFK. makes me question the notion of the MIA-LAX being premium with fares that low. No doubt there's demand and they an fill planes all day at those low fares, but I see nothing 'premium' in the fares that AA is getting whether they be in government reported data (take a look at the BTS figures) or in my admittedly anecdotal searches.


flymia wrote:
compensateme wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
It is a premium route, and that's a fact. AA caters it appropriately (sundaes aren't the difference, by the way, you get those on a flight from Charlotte to Phoenix, too) and has international lounge access rules. End of story. That's how AA treats it and continues to treat it. There's barely any competition, and AA can get away with filling A321s and being able to often sell-out the F cabin without having to upgrade anybody.


"Premium route" and yet over the past four quarters, AA's average fare is in the mid-$200 range. Ouch!

Is that one-way or round trip? If one-way that seems like a pretty high fare.

We've had this discussion multiple time before. Before the 772 was taken off, the 77W has been taken off before and always was brought back on. Its always been there because it was a good way to utilize the flet with resting airplanes and provide back ups for international flights while also providing a three-class service. I have done the route many times, and have paid a premium to take the route before it has never not been full.

Anyone who doubts the MIA-LAX route and how big of a demand there is, up front and in the back is just in denial, or just wants to attack the "MIA gang" which does over exaggerate some flights like say NRT, once in a while. But LAX, come on now, that is not an exaggeration, or else they would have never had the 77W and offered 3-class service in the first place. Even B6 puts Mint on FLL-LAX. Unfortunate a wide body won't be on the route given the 767 not going to LAX and a 787 not going to MIA. I would hope its only a matter of time for the 787 to MIA. This is the first time in a very long time that there is no 777 or 767 on the route, if not for over a decade that I can remember at least. Even more shocking no 737-800 on the route. LAX is really going all out on the Airbus fleet.
 
User avatar
csturdiv
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:33 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 am

nutsaboutplanes wrote:
This is solely the result of the change in gauge on the LAX-SYD-LAX routing to a 789 from a 77W. As we get into November several more 789's are in the LAX schedule and the aircraft are rotated more efficiently without having to reposition.

The morning 77W Is always full....it rotates between flight 68 and 1088 which almost always departs TBIT on the aircraft that arrives from SYD.

The 77W will still operate 1xLHR and HKG daily with a second LHR upgauged from 77M to 77W during peaks.


I was on the very first SYD-LAX flight several years ago and took the 77W onto MIA (not sure if it was the same 77W, I forgot to check the registration, was a little out of it after SYD-LAX) and I sat in MCE cabin . Not sure what it was like in the Economy cabin, but MCE was full as was Business (where I was on SYD-LAX). I could not get a view of what was going on in First. But I do remember the baggage claim at MIA being a bit busy as well for the flight, again I could'be been hallucinating as hadn't slept since waking up in SYD the day of the flight.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD
 
OB1504
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:56 am

flymia wrote:
[But LAX, come on now, that is not an exaggeration, or else they would have never had the 77W and offered 3-class service in the first place. Even B6 puts Mint on FLL-LAX. Unfortunate a wide body won't be on the route given the 767 not going to LAX and a 787 not going to MIA. I would hope its only a matter of time for the 787 to MIA. This is the first time in a very long time that there is no 777 or 767 on the route, if not for over a decade that I can remember at least. Even more shocking no 737-800 on the route. LAX is really going all out on the Airbus fleet.


I was about to say the same thing. Right now AA is putting their best domestic product on all but one of their MIA-LAX flights (the sole LUS A321 being the exception).

That being said, I've flown on the 77W MIA-LAX for $167... roundtrip.
 
Jo8338
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:27 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:06 am

Maybe a 772 comes back? They used to route the 772 to PVG after the 7am in from MIA.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26286
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 am

OB1504 wrote:
flymia wrote:
[But LAX, come on now, that is not an exaggeration, or else they would have never had the 77W and offered 3-class service in the first place. Even B6 puts Mint on FLL-LAX. Unfortunate a wide body won't be on the route given the 767 not going to LAX and a 787 not going to MIA. I would hope its only a matter of time for the 787 to MIA. This is the first time in a very long time that there is no 777 or 767 on the route, if not for over a decade that I can remember at least. Even more shocking no 737-800 on the route. LAX is really going all out on the Airbus fleet.


I was about to say the same thing. Right now AA is putting their best domestic product on all but one of their MIA-LAX flights (the sole LUS A321 being the exception).

That being said, I've flown on the 77W MIA-LAX for $167... roundtrip.


And I've flown the 321T on JFK-LAX for $177 RT, upgraded to J both ways. Those fares exist everywhere.
a.
 
globalcabotage
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:36 pm

777s and 767s are leaving ORD and LAX for international flights. There will be one off and some scheduled day trips for planes that would sit at MIA or DFW.
 
User avatar
DUDEofJETS
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:31 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 am

N62NA wrote:
Looking at the November schedule, it's going to be all 32B.

So much for the "premium demand" on this route.



I've checked the AA.com and our employee travel site and it still shows the 77W through next winter. Can you provide anything about where you got this information?
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 am

OB1504 wrote:
Right now AA is putting their best domestic product on all but one of their MIA-LAX flights (the sole LUS A321 being the exception).

That being said, I've flown on the 77W MIA-LAX for $167... roundtrip.


The 32B in F is an awful hard product. And "hard" being the operable word. It is like sitting on a cement slab after about an hour or so. And the pitch is quite tight as well.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 am

DUDEofJETS wrote:
I've checked the AA.com and our employee travel site and it still shows the 77W through next winter. Can you provide anything about where you got this information?


AA.com.

November 17.

MIA-LAX
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26286
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 am

N62NA wrote:
DUDEofJETS wrote:
I've checked the AA.com and our employee travel site and it still shows the 77W through next winter. Can you provide anything about where you got this information?


AA.com.

November 17.

MIA-LAX


Yes, but as already pointed out, check November 19th an on-wards.

Not to say that can't change.
a.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:07 am

MAH4546 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
DUDEofJETS wrote:
I've checked the AA.com and our employee travel site and it still shows the 77W through next winter. Can you provide anything about where you got this information?


AA.com.

November 17.

MIA-LAX


Yes, but as already pointed out, check November 19th an on-wards.

Not to say that can't change.


He asked. I answered.
 
flymia
Posts: 7129
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 am

N62NA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
N62NA wrote:

AA.com.

November 17.the

MIA-LAX


Yes, but as already pointed out, check November 19th an on-wards.

Not to say that can't change.


He asked. I answered.


Ok, and it's still showing the 77W for all other dates. I just checked random dates in December and January and the 77W still showing up.

So is this just a rumor? Based on your search on AA.com?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: AA Drops 77W on MIA-LAX

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:17 am

flymia wrote:
Ok, and it's still showing the 77W for all other dates. I just checked random dates in December and January and the 77W still showing up.

So is this just a rumor? Based on your search on AA.com?


The date that LAX-SYD goes to 789 in late October is the first date that the 77W disappears on MIA-LAX. It's like that through mid-November.

If AA had planned to swap in another 3 class or 2 class lie-flat aircraft on the route, wouldn't they have done it on the date of the LAX-SYD 789 inauguration?

Looking beyond mid November is quite iffy, as that's too far out for anything to be reliable and they are likely keeping the current schedule showing as a placeholder schedule.

I am not at all optimistic that we will see the 77W back starting in mid November.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos