FLLflyboy
Topic Author

What's in store for Cheyenne?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Great Lakes currently serves as the only airline, with service to Denver. Been up there a few times. It's a nice, quiet little airport. Any chance at seeing RJ service to places like LAX, DFW, SLC, SEA? Maybe twice weekly flight to LAS on Allegiant? Good alternative to DEN as it captures northern Colorado and CSU. What are the chances we could see increased service in the coming years?

MaxTrimm

Re: What's in store for Cheyenne?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:23 pm

I think SLC on DL is your best bet

ILNFlyer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:25 pm

[*]
FLLflyboy wrote:
Great Lakes currently serves as the only airline, with service to Denver. Been up there a few times. It's a nice, quiet little airport. Any chance at seeing RJ service to places like LAX, DFW, SLC, SEA? Maybe twice weekly flight to LAS on Allegiant? Good alternative to DEN as it captures northern Colorado and CSU. What are the chances we could see increased service in the coming years?

Very small population and service area, so highly unlikely. It's not that far from DEN so most people go there.

kbmiflyer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 pm

I always thought Cheyenne service levels were low. Sure it is "close" to DEN, but unless you want to get gouged on the overpriced tollway it is at least 90 minutes from Cheyenne and well over an hour from Fort Collins to Denver Airport.

I think you hit it when you said it really needs to become Fort Collins North Airport. Cheyenne isn't really big enough to support too much, it is a great town but fairly small and not much industry, and it is not like there are other areas of Wyoming it can pull population from.. But if it could attract passengers from Fort Collins, Loveland, Longmont, and Greely, as well as tourist to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National park, it could maybe support some additional service. I would think Delta (connection) to SLC or American (eagle) to DFW would be possibilities. Allegiant could maybe try LAS or AZA a couple of times a week.

That being said, I don't see any of this happening in the next 12-24 months. As the Denver population continues to boom, the aforementioned cities may get big enough to support some service.

32andBelow

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:47 pm

There is an EAS contract on OO less than 50 miles down the road with Jets to DEN. The market is saturated.

mtnwest1979

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 pm

American Eagle did offer CYS-DFW nonstop for a short time a few years ago. Reason for the added temporary secured area of terminal. Guess loads were well south of what was hoped for , so it was eliminated.

I also have thought a SLC flight would be a decent option. Or perhaps a DL?OO SLC-CYS-MSP route.
Referring to OO at Laramie, I bet they made a big deal about having an F/A and lavatory on the flight, even though there would never be enough time en route to even think about using lav or getting a drink lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

caverunner17

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
I always thought Cheyenne service levels were low. Sure it is "close" to DEN, but unless you want to get gouged on the overpriced tollway it is at least 90 minutes from Cheyenne and well over an hour from Fort Collins to Denver Airport.

I think you hit it when you said it really needs to become Fort Collins North Airport. Cheyenne isn't really big enough to support too much, it is a great town but fairly small and not much industry, and it is not like there are other areas of Wyoming it can pull population from.. But if it could attract passengers from Fort Collins, Loveland, Longmont, and Greely, as well as tourist to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National park, it could maybe support some additional service. I would think Delta (connection) to SLC or American (eagle) to DFW would be possibilities. Allegiant could maybe try LAS or AZA a couple of times a week.

That being said, I don't see any of this happening in the next 12-24 months. As the Denver population continues to boom, the aforementioned cities may get big enough to support some service.

You're never going to get people coming from Loveland, Longmont or Greely going to Cheyenne. It's equidistant or closer to go to DEN and unless you are planning on going to whatever hub that is (ORD, DFW, SLC, LAX etc), then you're going to have to connect vs. potential non-stops from Denver. That, and there's plenty of competition at DEN so fares are usually pretty reasonable.

The Cheyenne metro is less than 100k. That's less than the city of Boulder.

As far as why Colorado Springs has as much service as it does? The metro over 700k + Pueblo adds another 160k

MalevTU134

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm

What will come first, DL to DTW or BA to LGW? :duck:

flyfresno

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Agreed, the most likely (and still unlikely) service would be SLC on DL. After that, perhaps LAS on G4, depending on how well Casper is doing for them...

FLLflyboy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
You're never going to get people coming from Loveland, Longmont or Greely going to Cheyenne. It's equidistant or closer to go to DEN and unless you are planning on going to whatever hub that is (ORD, DFW, SLC, LAX etc), then you're going to have to connect vs. potential non-stops from Denver. That, and there's plenty of competition at DEN so fares are usually pretty reasonable.

As far as why Colorado Springs has as much service as it does? The metro over 700k + Pueblo adds another 160k

If CYS can market itself as an alternative to DEN, they stand a chance. Zero congestion, especially from northern Colorado, easy in and out. Their biggest problem is highway access. Yeah, I-25 may only be a short distance, but travelers still have to fight traffic on city streets to get there. From Longmont, north, the population (including the CYS metro area) is north of 500k, and growing at an explosive rate. They have reasonable parking rates and they are in the planning stages of a new terminal. If travelers are able to save some money over DEN, even if they have to make a connection, I don't see why CYS can't thrive.

Polot

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm

FLLflyboy wrote:
If CYS can market itself as an alternative to DEN, they stand a chance. Zero congestion, especially from northern Colorado, easy in and out. Their biggest problem is highway access. Yeah, I-25 may only be a short distance, but travelers still have to fight traffic on city streets to get there. From Longmont, north, the population (including the CYS metro area) is north of 500k, and growing at an explosive rate. They have reasonable parking rates and they are in the planning stages of a new terminal. If travelers are able to save some money over DEN, even if they have to make a connection, I don't see why CYS can't thrive.

The problem is DEN is ~30 minutes from downtown Denver versus 90 for CYS, and because of the three-way F9/WN/UA competition at DEN fares out of that airport are very reasonable. To make up for the increased distance CYS's fares would have to be even lower and parking rates probably shouldn't be reasonable, they should be free.

caverunner17

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:28 pm

FLLflyboy wrote:
caverunner17 wrote:

The issue is you won't save money over DEN. A good example of this is Grand Rapids, MI and Detroit.

GRR to Portland is $390 in the middle of September. From Detroit, you're looking at $270.

GRR to Denver is $296 vs $107 (Spirit) and $177 (UA).

The only reason why you'd fly out of CYS is if you were close and your company were paying for it, though non-stop flights and availability of flights from DEN would outweigh having to connect from a limited 1-2 flights/day to a hub

32andBelow

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
FLLflyboy wrote:
caverunner17 wrote:

The issue is you won't save money over DEN. A good example of this is Grand Rapids, MI and Detroit.

GRR to Portland is $390 in the middle of September. From Detroit, you're looking at $270.

GRR to Denver is $296 vs $107 (Spirit) and $177 (UA).

The only reason why you'd fly out of CYS is if you were close and your company were paying for it, though non-stop flights and availability of flights from DEN would outweigh having to connect from a limited 1-2 flights/day to a hub
And the price difference may be not bad for a business traveler but 50+ price difference really adds up for a family of 4.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos