commavia
Topic Author

SkyWest Announces ExpressJet Changes

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expressjet-airlines-announces-contract-realignment-200100866.html

* Secured 5-year extension (through December 2022) of agreement with United covering the operation of ERJ145s
* Agreed with Delta to early termination of Delta CPA covering CRJ900/CRJ700 operation, previously scheduled to expire beginning in 2019 - Delta-financed aircraft (including all the CRJ900s) to be returned to Delta by 4Q17 while other aircraft will be placed with other partners "throughout 2018"
* Related to above, agreed with AA for placement of an additional 8 CRJ700s during 2Q18

DiamondFlyer

Re: SkyWest Announces ExpressJet Changes

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 pm

28 CR9's and 3 CR7's to be moved to 9E, is what I'm hearing (with them parking roughly 16 CR2's to allow for the growth).
From my cold, dead hands

jbs2886

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
28 CR9's and 3 CR7's to be moved to 9E, is what I'm hearing (with them parking roughly 16 CR2's to allow for the growth).

Big for 9E, DL really has been bulking it up a lot.

Losing 30 CRJ-700s (if only 3 are going, 30 more are staying at ExpressJet/SkyWest). Do the 14 CR2s stay at ExpressJet for DL?
Last edited by jbs2886 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm happy, 9E is a much better operation than EV and the employees are better as well.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

enilria

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm

What is driving this change? Endeavor has lower rates? OO is going to be overrun with people recruiting their pilots.

jbs2886

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

enilria wrote:
What is driving this change? Endeavor has lower rates? OO is going to be overrun with people recruiting their pilots.

Probably that after 9E bankruptcy. Path directly to DL for 9E pilots. And, as an added bonus, profit for regional carriers stays in the DL group.

flight152

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I'm happy, 9E is a much better operation than EV and the employees are better as well.

Life just got a lot more difficult for a large group of people through no fault of their own and you're happy? Wow.

atl100million

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 pm

It says that DL is leading the US carriers in reducing regional jet flying and what they keep will be on the largest RJs available with a clear impact on costs.

This doesn't say anything about ExpressJets CRJ flying for DL; have they already announced it is winding down.

This also highlights that UA will be flying 50 seat RJs - and possibly AA as well - for years and possibly well after DL retires them.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:46 pm

atl100million wrote:
It says that DL is leading the US carriers in reducing regional jet flying and what they keep will be on the largest RJs available with a clear impact on costs.

This doesn't say anything about ExpressJets CRJ flying for DL; have they already announced it is winding down.

This also highlights that UA will be flying 50 seat RJs - and possibly AA as well - for years and possibly well after DL retires them.

Yes, the L-ASA CRJ200 flying is going away by Dec 2017. Some have been transferred to OO, some have been transferred to 9E, some have been parked.
From my cold, dead hands

leoben

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

Stay classy!

commavia
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Seems like a win-win for Delta in terms of putting more of its regional flying with carriers that can leverage flow-through agreements for staffing - appears to be the way the mainline carriers are (smartly) going in staffing their feed.

Regarding the CRJ700s for AA - that is probably a good move, as the AA network can use some additional 65-seat jets and it will only further help backfill the Air Wisconsin flying. And on a related note, I didn't realize how close AA and Delta were getting in terms of their 50-seat fleets. Even with the pending reactivation of ERJ140s, AA's single-cabin jet/prop fleet by next mid-year next year is, if I'm doing the math right, going to be down around (if not below) 150. For AA's network, that feels like about the right size - as I've said before, I could easily see AA's entire single-cabin fleet eventually be composed solely of the Envoy ERJ145s, distributed among DFW, ORD, CLT and PHL, with perhaps a few flowing through MIA but not based there.

ScottB

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm

enilria wrote:

It doesn't really matter if Endeavor's "rates" are formally lower since DL owns the carrier. The bigger question is whether 9E can operate the flying for less than DL was giving EV (or less than EV would have been willing to accept in future) to do it.

jbs2886 wrote:
Do the 14 CR2s stay at ExpressJet for DL?

SkyWest's 2016 10-K filing stated the following with respect to ExpressJet:

We also anticipate that ExpressJet will transition to flying primarily dual-class aircraft in its CRJ aircraft operation by removing its CRJ200 aircraft from service over the next year.

So it would seem that the last remnants of ASA will soon be gone.

commavia
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 pm

ScottB wrote:

Pretty amazing. With that, two of Delta's three major "original" regional jet operators (ASA, Comair, SkyWest), or at least their remnants, will be gone.

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm

flight152 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Life just got a lot more difficult for a large group of people through no fault of their own and you're happy? Wow.

Life just got better for the employees over at 9E. I'm happy. They're happy. Delta's happy. The end.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

atl100million

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 pm

commavia wrote:
Seems like a win-win for Delta in terms of putting more of its regional flying with carriers that can leverage flow-through agreements for staffing - appears to be the way the mainline carriers are (smartly) going in staffing their feed.

Regarding the CRJ700s for AA - that is probably a good move, as the AA network can use some additional 65-seat jets and it will only further help backfill the Air Wisconsin flying. And on a related note, I didn't realize how close AA and Delta were getting in terms of their 50-seat fleets. Even with the pending reactivation of ERJ140s, AA's single-cabin jet/prop fleet by next mid-year next year is, if I'm doing the math right, going to be down around (if not below) 150. For AA's network, that feels like about the right size - as I've said before, I could easily see AA's entire single-cabin fleet eventually be composed solely of the Envoy ERJ145s, distributed among DFW, ORD, CLT and PHL, with perhaps a few flowing through MIA but not based there.

please post your calculations regarding AA's single cabin fleet. They say in their SEC filings that they had single cabin 120 CRJs and 131 ERJs flying for them. DL had 149 CRJs, 36 of which were operated by ExpressJet. I don't know all of the movements beyond what is stated in their 10K filings and the Dec 31, 2016 date, but DL is headed for about 110 CRJs based on the end of the ExpressJet CRJ flying while AA will have well over double that many single cabin 50 seat jets.
Last edited by atl100million on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okie73

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 pm

commavia wrote:
Seems like a win-win for Delta in terms of putting more of its regional flying with carriers that can leverage flow-through agreements for staffing - appears to be the way the mainline carriers are (smartly) going in staffine.

There are no more flow through agreements at Delta. Endeavor has a guaranteed interview, but it's just that, an interview. Once they show up they are competing on an equal level with all the applications.

Varsity1

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 pm

ScottB wrote:
enilria wrote:

It doesn't really matter if Endeavor's "rates" are formally lower since DL owns the carrier. The bigger question is whether 9E can operate the flying for less than DL was giving EV (or less than EV would have been willing to accept in future) to do it.

jbs2886 wrote:

We also anticipate that ExpressJet will transition to flying primarily dual-class aircraft in its CRJ aircraft operation by removing its CRJ200 aircraft from service over the next year.

9E doesn't have to turn a profit, which helps significantly. They just have to cost less than delta was paying the contractor.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Varsity1

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:06 pm

commavia wrote:

Some Envoy 145's are going to Piedmont right now. This is being discussed in the AA Eagle Future thread.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

kabq737

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

This isn't what the industry is about. When people lose jobs we don't cheer even if the jobs are going to new places. We're all pilots, mechanics, ground staff, managers, etc. regardless of our airline. We don't celebrate lost jobs or insult fellow airline staff. Please show some respect.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

777Mech

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 pm

I wonder what will happen to the hangars and OCC in ATL?

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 pm

kabq737 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

This isn't what the industry is about. When people lose jobs we don't cheer even if the jobs are going to new places. We're all pilots, mechanics, ground staff, managers, etc. regardless of our airline. We don't celebrate lost jobs or insult fellow airline staff. Please show some respect.

No one is losing their job, stop with the fake news.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

commavia
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Some Envoy 145's are going to Piedmont right now. This is being discussed in the AA Eagle Future thread.

Indeed. Per AA's latest guidance, the Envoy/Piedmont ERJ145s, coupled with the incoming (re-incoming) ERJ140s, plus the existing Dash 8 and CRJ200 fleets, is targeted to add up to around 220 aircraft by YE2017. But then next year, Eagle will finish retiring the Air Wisconsin CRJ200s, and of course the Dash 8 and non-AirWis CRJ200 fleet is also likely to draw down further, so that likely within the next 18-24 months, AA is going to be down right around 150 single-class aircraft.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

No one is losing their job? How do you figure that? L-ASA goes from flying 28 CR9s and 33 CR7s for Delta, with 12 AA CR7s, to a total of 20 CR7s for AA. That is a net loss of 53 airplanes...
From my cold, dead hands

n6238p

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

You obviously have no idea how any of this works.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

n6238p

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

No one is losing their job? How do you figure that? L-ASA goes from flying 28 CR9s and 33 CR7s for Delta, with 12 AA CR7s, to a total of 20 CR7s for AA. That is a net loss of 53 airplanes...

Don't forget about the 200's and the maintence bases and the people who just got uprooted to LGA...
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

atl100million

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 pm

commavia wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Indeed. Per AA's latest guidance, the Envoy/Piedmont ERJ145s, coupled with the incoming (re-incoming) ERJ140s, plus the existing Dash 8 and CRJ200 fleets, is targeted to add up to around 220 aircraft by YE2017. But then next year, Eagle will finish retiring the Air Wisconsin CRJ200s, and of course the Dash 8 and non-AirWis CRJ200 fleet is also likely to draw down further, so that likely within the next 18-24 months, AA is going to be down right around 150 single-class aircraft.

DL appears to be heading to close to 110 50 seaters by this year. They could have them all out of the fleet in 18-24 months. either way, there is no data that shows that supports the statement that AA and DL will have even close to the same number of 50 seaters at the same period of time.

Feel free to post links and actual statements from the respective companies if I am missing something.

commavia
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
L-ASA goes from flying 28 CR9s and 33 CR7s for Delta, with 12 AA CR7s, to a total of 20 CR7s for AA. That is a net loss of 53 airplanes...

Don't disagree with the basic logic/premise - those CRJ900s leaving the SkyWest fleet are obviously no longer going to need to be staffed by SkyWest. I would just add, though, with respect to the CRJ700 aircraft that aren't Delta-financed, SkyWest said in its press release that it anticipates placing them with other partners. So far we know where 8 of them are going. I wouldn't be surprised - as has been rumored and hinted at - if more of them, or perhaps most or even all of them, also end up with AA in addition to the 8 announced today.

b747400erf

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
n6238p wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

You obviously have no idea how any of this works.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was speaking with a SkyWest executive here. Please tell me how many people are getting the boot. Life's tough, good people lose their jobs all the time and the airline industry has that x1000. Look at how many people lost their jobs when airlines like Eastern, Pan Am, and Braniff went under. Look at how many people lost their jobs when TWA merged with AA, after 9/11, and when Comair went belly-up.

ExpressJet still exists.

From "people losing their jobs is fake news" to "so what if they lose their jobs? it happens all the time" in a span of minutes. That is embarrassing. And a one month old account, the sky is the limit for you here!!!

Dalmd88

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 pm

777Mech wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the hangars and OCC in ATL?

Rumor I heard is the hangar will go back to DL. The old Delta North crew from bay 10 will go back across the field.

Super80DFW

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
commavia wrote:

What thread is this? Please post the link because I can't find it
EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

jbs2886

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Back to the topic.

ScottB wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It does say "primarily" so that leaves some opening. But, assuming its gone, DL will not have any aircraft with ExpressJet - removing all CRJ200s, 700s and 900s.

Furthermore, I'm curious if DL will replace/backfill the 30 lost CRJ-700s. Someone can probably explain this better, but some CRJ700s don't count towards the large RJ limit or maybe all don't? If these do count, DL probably would want more E175s, but if they don't, DL probably would want to replace that flying.

Finally, it is incredible that once a wholly-owned RJ airline will have no flying left with DL.

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:08 pm

DDR wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

Either you aren't very knowledgeable about the airline industry or you are just trolling with remarks like that.

Do you have any proof ExpressJet/SkyWest will be laying off employees? Nothing is official till it's official, I just don't fall for scare tactics.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

atl100million

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Back to the topic.

ScottB wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It does say "primarily" so that leaves some opening. But, assuming its gone, DL will not have any aircraft with ExpressJet - removing all CRJ200s, 700s and 900s.

Furthermore, I'm curious if DL will replace/backfill the 30 lost CRJ-700s. Someone can probably explain this better, but some CRJ700s don't count towards the large RJ limit or maybe all don't? If these do count, DL probably would want more E175s, but if they don't, DL probably would want to replace that flying.

Finally, it is incredible that once a wholly-owned RJ airline will have no flying left with DL.

I flew on a flight with an outstanding 30 year veteran ExpressJet flight attendant just a few months ago that said she flew with them because her husband was a Delta pilot at the time and they both could not work at Delta. I couldn't help but think of her with this news.

It seems a given that there will, at a minimum, be people displaced because of these moves even if it is a part of the airline industry.

I would like to know the answer regarding if DL can replace some of the CR7s with E175s but I am betting that some of those CR7s are getting old too.

DL receives its first CS100s next year and there still is no clarity of where they will be based but DL has acknowledged that they want to put a virtual pilot base at DFW and replace many of their large RJ flights from DFW with mainline aircraft as well as add more flights. The space limitations on the west coast and at LGA also mean it is likely that DL will replace other large RJ flights with mainline aircraft.

Even if DL can replace some of the CR7s, they are still going to be upgrading more flights to mainline than replacing them with other carriers when combined with the drawdown on 50 seat single class aircraft.

TFlintoff24

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Delta just completed their CRJ 700 cabin refurbishment program. New Seats, Bins, Power ect. If only 3 of those modded aircraft are going to Endeavor, wasn't that a waste of money to refurbish them?

atl100million

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 pm

The chances are pretty high that the CR7 cabin mod was planned and underway before Expressjet/Skywest came to DL. Presumably the cost of the mods is included in the value of the aircraft that then can be redeployed to other carriers.

Also, the DL CR7 cabins have 69 seats, more than what AA has according to what was posted above. It will be interesting if they re-mod the aircraft back to 65 seats or if AA will have 2 CR7 configs or convert its other CR7s to 69 seats by moving the rear bulkhead as DL did.

mhkansan

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 am

The ex-DL CR7s got completely new interiors when they came to the AA operation with 65 seats. The 65-seat threshold is the largest "small-RJ" AA can operate per scope. I imagine any further CRJ-700s coming to AA would also be configured with 65 seats. Those are some very nice cabins!

kabq737

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 am

Super80Fan wrote:
DDR wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Either you aren't very knowledgeable about the airline industry or you are just trolling with remarks like that.

Do you have any proof ExpressJet/SkyWest will be laying off employees? Nothing is official till it's official, I just don't fall for scare tactics.

That's perfectly fine. No I haven't seen anything official but all prior knowledge and information points to layoffs. It's how this industry works.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

n7371f

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:52 am

mhkansan wrote:
The ex-DL CR7s got completely new interiors when they came to the AA operation with 65 seats. The 65-seat threshold is the largest "small-RJ" AA can operate per scope. I imagine any further CRJ-700s coming to AA would also be configured with 65 seats. Those are some very nice cabins!

AA has at least 3 layouts for the CR7's. Shouldn't be a surprise given the obnoxious lack of conformity at the mainline fleet.

The original Eagle CR7's have 9 first class seats plus extra coach legroom. The ex-United Express CR7's are a an exact copy of the UA layout and have F6. And there are the ex DL CR7's with an even slightly different layout.

UnitedTristar

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:14 am

I would be interested in seeing just how many 145's UA re-upped on this extention... and how many they are releasing...

-m

caflyboy

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:23 am

Just a thought...could some of the 700s be transferred to OO for additional AS flying used to cover the 70 seat gap in the QX scheduling situation? Not sur how much slack there is in 70 seaters at OO for the additional lift, but seems like this could be a solution to keep them flying?

Also, could DL use Republic for the missing 70 seat lift since they now own a part of Republic, and Republic is cleared to get more Ejets?

DiamondFlyer

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 am

caflyboy wrote:
Just a thought...could some of the 700s be transferred to OO for additional AS flying used to cover the 70 seat gap in the QX scheduling situation? Not sur how much slack there is in 70 seaters at OO for the additional lift, but seems like this could be a solution to keep them flying?

Also, could DL use Republic for the missing 70 seat lift since they now own a part of Republic, and Republic is cleared to get more Ejets?

Doubt it, in terms of YX getting additional DL flying. Moving some CR7's to AS, at least short term, might actually happen. Personally, I think there will be another announcement in the coming weeks, with OO ordering 30 CR9's, configured to 69 seats, to allow them to replace the CR7 flying that's going away from EV.
From my cold, dead hands

intotheair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:34 am

caflyboy wrote:

I suppose it's possible, but wouldn't that require a somewhat substantial redo of the cabins and new paint? Transferring more of the E175s from QX to OO seems a little more likely if they're going to go through all that effort.

From what I've read on here, OO is reactivating the former AS CR7s for service now. They already stayed longer than they were meant to, but I guess they're now coming back. I'm also pretty sure some of the unbranded OO CR2s were subbing for the Q400s on some of the shorter AS routes like PDX-SEA earlier this year...not sure if they still are now.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

jbs2886

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:48 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
caflyboy wrote:

Doubt it, in terms of YX getting additional DL flying. Moving some CR7's to AS, at least short term, might actually happen. Personally, I think there will be another announcement in the coming weeks, with OO ordering 30 CR9's, configured to 69 seats, to allow them to replace the CR7 flying that's going away from EV.

OO CR9 order for DL ops?

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 am

flight152 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Go easy on him, and hear me out.

I think this is to resolve Expressjets staffing issues on the UA side. The total draw down of the Delta flying means 2 things: 1) those crews will do United flying now, resolving the staff shortage or 2) if they don't want to do that, they can go mainline Delta or anywhere else with the shortage starting. I know of the Expressjet staffing issues because my brother is an FA for them and my mother knows a good bit of Captains on a personal level having previously worked with them.

And the extension of 50 seat flying to 2022 means smaller markets can be/will continued to be served. With the focus shifting to domestic expansion, this is a great move all -around.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

atl100million

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm

This probably also indicates that UA isn't able to grow markets enough to wean itself off of 50 seat flying. If they could upgrade flights to larger, more cost-efficient aircraft, they would. 50 seaters are still some of the highest CASM aircraft that US carriers can use; retaining them makes little sense unless you simply can't grow the market enough to use larger, more efficient aircraft.

Polot

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:38 pm

atl100million wrote:
This probably also indicates that UA isn't able to grow markets enough to wean itself off of 50 seat flying. If they could upgrade flights to larger, more cost-efficient aircraft, they would. 50 seaters are still some of the highest CASM aircraft that US carriers can use; retaining them makes little sense unless you simply can't grow the market enough to use larger, more efficient aircraft.

Or they don't have enough larger aircraft (100+ seaters or large RJs) to replace 50 seaters while meeting their growth needs/desires. Its a balance. 50 seaters have higher CASM, but they are already in the fleet and probably mostly paid off at this point. Larger planes have better CASM but UA has to order them, wait for delivery, and then pay for the plane.

mcdu

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 pm

atl100million wrote:

If UA wants to get larger more larger RJ's they are tied to scope language with the pilots. They are at the Cap and have been getting rid of CR7's and adding E175's to balance against the cap. If they want more E175's they will need to add a E190 or C series to mainline like DL. In fact the UA pilot scope is very similar to DL scope. There are markets that justify 50 seat jets as long as oil stays cheap.

AviationGeek78

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
flight152 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Go easy on him, and hear me out.

I think this is to resolve Expressjets staffing issues on the UA side. The total draw down of the Delta flying means 2 things: 1) those crews will do United flying now, resolving the staff shortage or 2) if they don't want to do that, they can go mainline Delta or anywhere else with the shortage starting. I know of the Expressjet staffing issues because my brother is an FA for them and my mother knows a good bit of Captains on a personal level having previously worked with them.

And the extension of 50 seat flying to 2022 means smaller markets can be/will continued to be served. With the focus shifting to domestic expansion, this is a great move all -around.

So here marks my first post on A.NET.... While this decision can potentially help with pilot staffing on the ERJ side of the operation this decision was in no part made to resolve staffing issues on that side of the house. This decision was a decision between Delta and ExpressJet to draw down operations early as Delta had informed them that the CPA would not be extended past the original end date of 2019. This decision is part of Delta's long term strategy. In addition Super80Fan is being a bit insensitive as many peoples livelihoods will be impacted by this decision. This decision impacts those that have dedicated their careers to ASA and as airline professionals we owe them respect.Those most affected own homes and have built lives in the Atlanta metro with their families and relocation may not be an option for another carrier. As far as the staffing issues are concerned what your brother failed to mention is that most of the staffing issues have been occurring on the CRJ side of the house especially with regards to FAs. For the company though this a great thing for stability and potentially the remaining 22 CR7s that are not currently unaccounted for could end up with AA potentially bringing that fleet total up to 42 airframes. So it is not doom and gloom for EV but as far as the former ASA it is merely a shell of what it used to be when it was wholly owned by Delta. Only time will tell how all of this unfolds but ExpressJet will come out stronger in the long run.

atl100million

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm

mcdu wrote:
atl100million wrote:

If UA wants to get larger more larger RJ's they are tied to scope language with the pilots. They are at the Cap and have been getting rid of CR7's and adding E175's to balance against the cap. If they want more E175's they will need to add a E190 or C series to mainline like DL. In fact the UA pilot scope is very similar to DL scope. There are markets that justify 50 seat jets as long as oil stays cheap.

of course there is a limit on RJs. UA could upgrade to mainline aircraft or they could fly large RJs at mainline. There is nothing that stops any of the big 3 from flying large RJs at mainline.

UA is holding onto small RJs because it clearly can't or won't buy more mainline upgrade to allow the sequential upgrade from large RJ to mainline and small RJ to large RJ.

UA does not want to make that upgrade process.

Small RJs are more expensive to operate than any other aircraft on a per seat basis regardless of the cost of oil.

The fact that UA is making a multi-year commitment to retaining lots of small RJs raises the real risk that it could be stuck w/ way too many 50 seaters long after other carriers have eliminated them or the economics of operating any of them vastly have changed.

toneal

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:09 pm

TFlintoff24 wrote:
Delta just completed their CRJ 700 cabin refurbishment program. New Seats, Bins, Power ect. If only 3 of those modded aircraft are going to Endeavor, wasn't that a waste of money to refurbish them?

That has all been accounted for.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos