Polot

Re: AA outlines 737 MAX plans

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:55 pm

OB1504 wrote:
AA321T wrote:
ckfred wrote:
The one question I have is whether the the 737MAX will have audio in the armrest, or any ceiling screens for showing movies? If there are no screens whatsoever, then the FAs will have to do safety demonstrations, as they do on the MD-80s.

No audio in the armrest and no ceiling screens. It has a system for pre-recorded announcements that will play at different stages of flight. Flight attendants will manually perform the demo to the pre-recorded announcement (same as many regionals).

When/where was this confirmed? I thought they just weren't going to do seatback TVs and that the IFE offerings would otherwise be the same as most of the current 737-800s.

IFE is going to be (free) streaming audio/video from an AA library and (paid) internet access, which they claim will be fast enough to stream from sites like Netflix/Amazon but we will see.

airlinereporter

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 pm

OB1504 wrote:
AA321T wrote:
ckfred wrote:
The one question I have is whether the the 737MAX will have audio in the armrest, or any ceiling screens for showing movies? If there are no screens whatsoever, then the FAs will have to do safety demonstrations, as they do on the MD-80s.

No audio in the armrest and no ceiling screens. It has a system for pre-recorded announcements that will play at different stages of flight. Flight attendants will manually perform the demo to the pre-recorded announcement (same as many regionals).

When/where was this confirmed? I thought they just weren't going to do seatback TVs and that the IFE offerings would otherwise be the same as most of the current 737-800s.

I agree that IFE may not essential anymore, but to not put any IFE whatsoever in a brand new airplane makes me wonder if they're trying to be more like Spirit than Delta. How do they expect to command a revenue premium with a subpar hard product?

It's starting to sound like I can get the 737 MAX experience today by just flying in an LUS A319, with the bonus of having lavatories actually sized for adult human beings.

Can confirm that the MAX likely doesn't even have drop down screens. But does anyone really want that? Who wants that terrible NBCUniversal content?
The MAX will have both high-speed internet and free streaming IFE to pax own devices.

Super80Fan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:50 pm

I don't know if this has been clarified but will AA's MAX's at least have powerports?
RIP McDonnell Douglas

airlinereporter

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I don't know if this has been clarified but will AA's MAX's at least have powerports?

I don't remember if its AC and USB or just USB, but Economy will have something.

Super80Fan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 pm

airlinereporter wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I don't remember if its AC and USB or just USB, but Economy will have something.

Awesome thanks!
RIP McDonnell Douglas

mikeyp224

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:06 pm

flymia wrote:
I agree the seats should come with some type of slot to insert iphones ipads etc.. Or else, its pretty uncomfortable looking down if you want to watch the streaming IFE.

The new Meridian seats are supposed to come with holders for tablets (not sure if cell phones will fit).

mikeyp224

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
airlinereporter wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Awesome thanks!

AA's MAX's will have an AC power port at every seat, compared to the B738s with dropdown screens (which only have 2 per set of 3 seats).

commavia

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:11 pm

airlinereporter wrote:
Also in the schedule for the MAX is DFW-ANC 2018 seasonal service. That's a 7 hour flight, currently served by the 757.

Logical and predictable - at least from an economic standpoint. I'm sure AA will greatly enjoy the lower fuel burn on such a long flight. But man will that be a long flight in regular Y!

Antarius

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:13 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.

If AA bothers you, wait till you get on UA, Spirit! And HEAVENS! Frontier.

Anyways, what do the proving runs usually entail?
And I wonder, why LGA-MIA?

AA has 172 seats on their 738s; UA has 166 on theirs, IIRC. So why would UA be worse?

AA absolutely does not have 172 seats on their 738's. They have 160 (or some configs have 154). UA has 154 - 156 on theirs.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

N85M

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Streaming is really easy to use and works great. However, I fly to Central America and the Caribbean for work also streaming stops working 100 miles out of the US. Its no big deal on these flights bit its nice when you can catch a movie.

Polot

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Antarius wrote:
AA absolutely does not have 172 seats on their 738's. They have 160 (or some configs have 154). UA has 154 - 156 on theirs.

AA will have 172 seats on their (identically sized) Max 8s however. Eventually they will probably move the 738NGs over to that configuration when they are due for an interior refresh.

airlinereporter

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 pm

N85M wrote:
Streaming is really easy to use and works great. However, I fly to Central America and the Caribbean for work also streaming stops working 100 miles out of the US. Its no big deal on these flights bit its nice when you can catch a movie.

AA will be the first airline with ViaSat Gen-2 hardware installed, which will provide higher speeds and a better coverage area than ViaSat Gen-1 hardware currently on United and JetBlue. Caribbean included. The satellite will be online around the time AA gets the MAX rolled out.

ckfred

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 pm

AA321T wrote:
ckfred wrote:

I wonder how the FA union will feel about that. If you are an FA and have been working 738s for the last 10 years, you haven't done a manual demonstration for 10 years. If a flight is supposed to have an 737NG, and it goes tech, it will throw the FAs, if a 738MAX gets swapped out, because someone has to find the demonstration seat belts and O2 masks.

By the same token, why bother coming up with a new safety video, of the vast majority of the fleet will no longer have screens to run the video?

Of course, why bother with the recorded safety video? If a 738 (NG or MAX) has more than 150 seats, you have 1 FA to read the script and 3 FAs to do the demonstration. The recording was basically designed for the RJs, because they have only have 1 or 2 FAs.

I guess I better find my old Sony Walkman for future trips.

Varsity1

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Amazing, going back to manual humans in the name of saving money.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Keith2004

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.

Give it a rest. I flew DL LAX-SEA in April and the much-touted IFE was inoperable. Of course, expecting it, I packed my iPad in my overhead bag and had no way of getting to it as I was stuck in a window behind three fully reclined seats. Hell lotta good IFE did me. What should have been a positive ended up being the most dreary flight I'd had in a long time.

IFE is easier than dealing with your own device right up until it doesn't work. I like the WN streaming content - at least I know my iPad will work.

This is hyperbole right?

If you really wanted to get up you could have asked the passengers to move

Keith2004

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I sincerely hope the government steps in (which is 100% against what I stand for, so this means something) and stops AA from torturing paying consumers. Obviously the executives in their royal tower down in Dallas have never flown in economy before in their lives. Disgraceful.

LOL

There are already airlines with leg room more restricted than AA will be, if they didn't step in for them, why for AA?

Keith2004

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 pm

eastalt wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
And AA opted not to have individual seatback IFE installed on these new planes? If that is the case, its a real shame and other step in the wrong direction.

Why would the lack of IFE on the new jets be a step in the wrong direction? IFE is not a benefit to the airlines bottom line. Most passengers travel with IPads and other devices to entertain themselves. Further, as an airline employee, I would rather airlines provide passengers with access to internet. Trust me, IFE is a bad decision. Its maintenance intensive and there is no return on the investment.

Thanks for the airline employee perspective on IFE, a feature designed for passengers

The #1 and #2 reasons passengers choose an airline is Price and Schedule, other reasons are a small fraction of the general population;
However, I would say it is a step in the WRONG direction from a passenger perspective as it is a subtraction from something, just like the subtraction of legroom and other things that make up the passenger experience.

Delta for example has streaming IFE so you can use your own device, but they also give the option of seat-back IFE which in most cases I and many others prefer to having to hold a Phone or another device without a kick stand (I rarely travel with a laptop or tablet), or worrying about ability to hold a charge with outlets that either don't exist or don't always work.

Conclusion: I think anything that is subtracting from the passenger experience (and has you offering less than your competition) is a step in the wrong direction, but that's a Customer perspective, things good for customers are sometimes in conflict with what is good for employees...the same way what is good for employees can conflict with what's good for investors

commavia

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Keith2004 wrote:
The #1 and #2 reasons passengers choose an airline is Price and Schedule, other reasons are a small fraction of the general population;
However, I would say it is a step in the WRONG direction from a passenger perspective as it is a subtraction from something, just like the subtraction of legroom and other things that make up the passenger experience.

Delta for example has streaming IFE so you can use your own device, but they also give the option of seat-back IFE which in most cases I and many others prefer to having to hold a Phone or another device without a kick stand (I rarely travel with a laptop or tablet), or worrying about ability to hold a charge with outlets that either don't exist or don't always work.

Conclusion: I think anything that is subtracting from the passenger experience (and has you offering less than your competition) is a step in the wrong direction, but that's a Customer perspective, things good for customers are sometimes in conflict with what is good for employees...the same way what is good for employees can conflict with what's good for investors

It's amazing that the same post can acknowledge the unavoidable reality that "The #1 and #2 reasons passengers choose an airline is Price and Schedule," and yet somehow then discuss the "Customer perspective" and "things good for customers" without mentioning ... price or schedule. The reality is that while AVOD PTVs are nice - I love them as much as any other passenger - they just don't seem to be all that compelling a motivator of consumer choice, at least against price or schedule. Or, I suppose, that at least seems to be the opinion of every major U.S. airline except Delta and JetBlue. Ultimately, are passengers - in general, on average - willing to pay more for AVOD PTV? I don't think so. I wouldn't - especially when there is a good streaming option available for free.

It seems entirely logical, to me, for airlines to start moving towards far more economically efficient streaming solutions, coupled with high-capacity/high-speed wifi and powerports at every seat, which delivers essentially the same (very, very close) experience at far lower cost. That seems, ultimately, like a step in the right direction for customers if, as posited, price is the "#1 ... reason" that passengers choose an airline.

WA707atMSP

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 pm

uberflieger wrote:
Lpbri wrote:
MIA and LGA

Since moving headquarters to Texas has there ever been a new fleet type certification away from DFW?

:airplane:

In 1982, the first 767-200 base was SFO. The first two aircraft replaced DC-10s on SFO-JFK.

In 1988, the A300 was initially deployed on JFK-Caribbean routes. I don't think DFW was ever an A300 base.

I think the 737-800 was first deployed on transcontinental routes out of LAX in 1999.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Antarius wrote:

You haven't kept up with seat densification efforts. UA's own seat maps shows 3 738 configs with 166 seats total.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... fault.aspx

AA321T

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

All seats will be equipped with a power outlet in addition to a USB port.

Super80Fan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:31 pm

AA321T wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

All seats will be equipped with a power outlet in addition to a USB port.

Thanks! That's all that basically matters to me.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

HWC1977

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm

OB1504 wrote:
AA321T wrote:
ckfred wrote:

I agree that IFE may not essential anymore, but to not put any IFE whatsoever in a brand new airplane makes me wonder if they're trying to be more like Spirit than Delta. How do they expect to command a revenue premium with a subpar hard product?

It's starting to sound like I can get the 737 MAX experience today by just flying in an LUS A319, with the bonus of having lavatories actually sized for adult human beings.

I totally agree with this post. Overhead monitors and audio is a great compromise for those of us who don't travel with all the latest gadgets. Its not nearly as complicated or weighs as much. I much prefer having overhead IFE than a television screen sitting in my face the whole flight. I generally just listen to the radio stations anyway. People are just too needy today.

bpat777

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am

Has it been discussed if AA will eventually remove the ptv's from the 738's and LAA Airbus?
Consistency is a factor for me when booking air travel.

Varsity1

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 am

bpat777 wrote:
Has it been discussed if AA will eventually remove the ptv's from the 738's and LAA Airbus?

Are you serious?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

global2

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:59 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
They quite possibly could be based at LGA. LGA has a couple hangars and does a lot of 737 maintenance work so they could be limited to and from LGA to start out with.

Any idea how much longer those hangars are going to exist? I'm actually pretty shocked how quickly construction of the new terminal is happening.

bpat777

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 am

Varsity1 wrote:
bpat777 wrote:

Are you serious?

Don't you know you shouldn't answer a question with a question. But since you asked I'm very serious. Do you have answer or can you point me to the answer?

ATCSuggester

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 am

Varsity1 wrote:
bpat777 wrote:

Are you serious?

I'm sure he is. I also prefer to consistently sit next to pretty young females on all my flights. Really MAXimizes my experience.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:59 am

Keith2004 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Give it a rest. I flew DL LAX-SEA in April and the much-touted IFE was inoperable. Of course, expecting it, I packed my iPad in my overhead bag and had no way of getting to it as I was stuck in a window behind three fully reclined seats. Hell lotta good IFE did me. What should have been a positive ended up being the most dreary flight I'd had in a long time.

IFE is easier than dealing with your own device right up until it doesn't work. I like the WN streaming content - at least I know my iPad will work.

This is hyperbole right?

You're right. It's 11PM. We're already two hours late. The people in my row are asleep and I'm at the window. The people in the row in front are reclined and asleep. I try my IFE - zilch. The FA's are busy serving people. Yes, I could have been an asshole and made everyone move for me but maybe that's more your thing than mine.

The whole point of what I was replying to was that having IFE isn't always a plus when it doesn't work, and after sitting there in a coffee buzz with nothing to do, I would honestly choose in the future to disregard IFE and just plan on using my pad. Not a huge deal, just as DL (for example) having IFE isn't a huge deal. If you follow the chain of the conversation, that was the point I was referring to.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Keith2004

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Keith2004 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

This is hyperbole right?

You're right. It's 11PM. We're already two hours late. The people in my row are asleep and I'm at the window. The people in the row in front are reclined and asleep. I try my IFE - zilch. The FA's are busy serving people. Yes, I could have been an asshole and made everyone move for me but maybe that's more your thing than mine.

The whole point of what I was replying to was that having IFE isn't always a plus when it doesn't work, and after sitting there in a coffee buzz with nothing to do, I would honestly choose in the future to disregard IFE and just plan on using my pad. Not a huge deal, just as DL (for example) having IFE isn't a huge deal. If you follow the chain of the conversation, that was the point I was referring to.

I've been on many a flight at the window where I had to wake people to get up to use the Lavatory, or other reasons
I don't think that makes me an asshole, comes with the terrain when you have a middle or aisle seat

And no I wasn't disagreeing with the concept about IFE not always being a plus if It doesn't work, just didn't compute that you were somehow trapped because people were reclined and you were at the window and that's what I commented on

Flighty

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 pm

People reclining in my face is a bigger issue to me than IFE. Junk/inoperative wifi is probably #2.

UpNAWAy

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:55 pm

IFE on an aircraft is the 8 track or lazer disk of our tiime. Even the newest most advanced system available right now is already outdated. And imagine not only the cost, weight and maintenance but how outdated it will be in 10 years. The box under the seat stinks right now for my knees and my backpack. I currently prefere the much older LUS 319/320 seats compared to the B737 Recaro seats anyday. I do like the flight map I admit.....

LAXLHR

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:06 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
30" pitch and airlines scratch their heads wondering why so many air rage incidents are occurring. No IFE on these birds so when the next electronics ban hits, you'll be staring at the ceiling for a few hours or trying to read the worthless inflight mag that is mostly adds. I'm avoiding the MAX on AA!

Iv never heard of a ban on books, newspapers and magazines.....Reading is a lost art, explains why our society is in the dumps and people no longer have critical thinking skills.

Haha, I agree. I DO NOT depend upon the airline to entertain me. Whether its a 3 hr economy flight or up to 16 hours in First and Business, I always have my cell phone with plug and 2 tiny chargers. Macbook & plug (with tv shows and movies in a file) 7" tablet loaded with ebooks. Magazines and newspapers from the lounge or hotel, and one physical book.

I do not carry these primarily for the flight...but I have them in the event I wish to utilize one or more. It's all rather simple.
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos