iadadd

Re: Airports shared between two metropolitan areas

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 am

BWI

Baltimore and Washington are 2 distinct metro areas (but 1 CSA), BWI is commonly used aS Baltimore's primary airport and as a low-fare airport for DC travelers.

ROCDLFAN

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
Roots1 wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:
For so many years you've had people talking about building an airport between BUF and ROC around Batavia area (GVQ). Rumors will die out for a few years, them some politician will float the idea, the public argues about it, and like always it ends up completely dead.

If both cities didn't have well established airports, I'd say why not give it a shot. The main obstacle being the airport would be a minimum 30min away from either city, but hey, why not fantasize.

Yes this has been talked about for years. GVQ could certainly work, there's plenty of open land around it and it's right off I-90. Extend (and widen) the runway to 10,000' and add a smaller parallel for GA traffic. It'll never happen though.

I'm a former ROC er - my friends will drive to BUF for WN flights. but i don't think BUF would gain that much from it, what additional destinations would they pick up? plus the state is not awash in cash,

Why not play with this- I'd say a solid LAX/SFO/SEA flight on a legacy and not just BUF's LAX flight that's barely surviving. Oh, and Europe. Because why not? :D
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

RDUDDJI

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:37 pm

ScrantonUSC wrote:
RDU is a unique one. Raleigh and Durham share a border and their respective downtowns are only 25 miles apart, yet they are considered separate MSAs. Wake County(Raleigh) and Durham County also share RTP (Research Triangle Park) which is a massive employment center directly between both cities. So I have no idea why the metros are split.

Raleigh and Durham were in the same MSA just a few years ago. Then they (the Census?) split them into the Raleigh-Cary MSA and the Durham-CHeater Hill MSA. I don't recall hearing an explanation as to why, but it doesn't really matter, it's just numbers moving around.

Interestingly enough, as of 2012 the Raleigh-Cary MSA is now larger than the whole Raleigh-Durham-Cary-CH MSA was in 2000.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

AAlaxfan

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 pm

kordcj wrote:
Chicago and Milwaukee would be good contenders for a shared airport, could call it O'Hare.

Don't forget Racine and Kenosha!
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

AAlaxfan

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:00 pm

bigb wrote:
kordcj wrote:
Chicago and Milwaukee would be good contenders for a shared airport, could call it O'Hare.
Except MKE has scheduled services with plenty of options as well.

Then why do people always say "There's ORD down the road" when discussions of new service to MKE come up?
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

CXA330300

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 pm

BDL in Hartford also serves the metro area of New Haven. EWR de facto also serves a chunk of the Philly area.
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

klakzky123

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Going outside the US, what about Toronto/Mississauga and Hamilton ON. YYZ serves that entire area.

izbtmnhd

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm

BWI is the best American example, for sure.

I know it's Baltimore's primary airport but if it were located, say, on the north side of Towson it would be 1/3 the size it is today without the DC traffic. I think IAD would also be a stronger domestic airport if BWI had found a home further north.

hohd

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Perfect example is Midland/Odessa airport, this airport is almost equidistant to both cities (slightly closer to Midland), but given the area's isolation, the airport serves it quite well.

An airport between SLC and Provo (may be in Sandy area), would be great as it would serve Southern areas of SLC, Provo/Orem area. The current Provo airport only sees service via Allegiant to Las Vegas and LA, both non daily service. Frontier used to fly to Provo, but discontinued.

StrandedAtMKG

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 am

skywaymanaz wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
New Haven/Bridgeport Regional Airport

Yale could use an international airport.

You mean Yal6?

I'm not made of airports.

kgaiflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 am

"BWI is the probably the best example of an existing airport shared between 2 different MSAs."

If you walk through the outlying parking lots at BWI and look at car license plates, you will see plates from DC, Virginia, Delaware and Pennsylvania as well Maryland. It's fortuitous the I-70, I-83, and I-95 all intersect inside Maryland. That - and the WN hub at BWI - brings in tons of out-of-state traffic.

It serves way more than just Baltimore and Washington.

HVNandrew

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:30 am

Pengaea wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Sikorsky Airport basically lies in between Bridgeport and New Haven. No scheduled service, though, probably due to the proximity of the NYC airports, and to a lesser extent, BDL.

skywaymanaz wrote:

But, they (and by extension, New Haven) kind of already do... they're called BDL and JFK. The only flight leaving Tweed is PHL, 3x/weekday (2x/day on weekends). With any runway extension being obstructed by the Town of East Haven, good luck with getting any additional scheduled service.

I guess to add to the debate about BDL... even though it's called Hartford/Springfield, a significant number of people from Southern CT use the airport, so one can argue that it serves at least 3 metro areas.

FWIW, VCP probably counts as serving two distinct metropolitan areas (Campinas and São Paulo).

BDR used to have upwards of 20 flights a day back in the 80s/90s...It's a very densely populated area. The problem was the facility. Very short runway with some high profile safety incidents, and a shack of an airport terminal. Stratford (where the airport is actually located) and Bridgeport (which owns the airport) were constantly battling about expansion. The short runway ended commercial service by the late 90s, and there's no chance it's coming back - runway is still the same length, and the passenger terminal was recently demolished.

gunsontheroof

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:39 am

skywaymanaz wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I see what you did there.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

PDX757

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:50 am

Appleton and Green Bay Wisconsin are a mere 30 miles apart and are considered separate CSAs, each with populations a shade over 300,000. Each city has it's own airport with adequate service. Could a shared regional airport have more pull? Oshkosh and Fond Du Lac are nearby as well, but Fond Du Lac is far enough south that MKE may be more convenient. I know little to nothing about this area, I visited once when I was 14 and that's about it. I found it curious that both ATW and GRB had commercial service yet they were so close.

Viscount724

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 am

MBS airport in Michigan serves Midland, Bay City and Saginaw (thus the airport code) and is roughly in the middle between the 3 cities.

knope2001

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:56 am

PDX757 wrote:
Appleton and Green Bay Wisconsin are a mere 30 miles apart and are considered separate CSAs, each with populations a shade over 300,000. Each city has it's own airport with adequate service. Could a shared regional airport have more pull? Oshkosh and Fond Du Lac are nearby as well, but Fond Du Lac is far enough south that MKE may be more convenient. I know little to nothing about this area, I visited once when I was 14 and that's about it. I found it curious that both ATW and GRB had commercial service yet they were so close.

Yup, they are pretty close and close in passengers, too:

585,606 GRB
541,736 ATW

Back in the 60's and 70's Oshkosh was the big airport for the "Fox Valley" region, about 50 miles from Green Bay. Air Wisconsin was formed to give Appleton service and eventually it eclipsed OSH, leaving ATW and GRB relatively close and significant airports. A single airport between the two would seem to make sense, but even in the highly unlikely event both communities would relinquish their airports and bucks would be available to build it, a central airport wouldn't do all that much to improve service. The combined GRB+ATW passenger traffic would roughly match places like Cedar Rapids, Eugene, or Jackson MS. Likely a few more 717's instead of CR9's. Maybe a DEN or DFW nonstop. But no Southwest, no Spirit, no east coast nonstops.

The region bleeds a fair amount of traffic to MKE, especially from Oshkosh and southward. Moving to a single airport closer to Green Bay would probably mean losing most of the Oshkosh and Fond du Lac traffic that does use ATW today. So a single airport wouldn't accomplish too much, would have some downsides, and just isn't likely.

einkleinerknabe

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:44 am

In the past there has been talk about building an airport between Mobile and Pensacola. Because of where MOB is located, a new airport halfway between Mobile and Pensacola would be nearly as close (travel time) to downtown Mobile as MOB.
Having flown into both MOB and PNS, MOB seemed quite a bit larger and PNS somewhat overcrowded. PNS doesn't have much room to grow, but maybe some travelers would fly to VPS (Destin-Fort Walton Beach) if the airport were further west.

c933103

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 am

Speaking of which I wonder if it is possible for city pairs like Osaka/Nagoya, Hanzhou/Shanghai, Okayama/Hiroshima to share an airport in the future by placing a new airport in the middle between those city in a style like DFW/MSP
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China

CXA330300

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm

JNB comes to mind, as it functionally serves both Johannesburg and Pretoria.
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

irelayer

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:26 pm

San Diego Tijuana.

Both the largest cross border "conurbation" between the US and Mexico, and the 4th largest in the world. Total population is ~5million. Both have fairly limited airports in terms of physical infrastructure limitations.

The idea of building an airport straddling the border has been brought up from time to time. Currently we have CBX (Cross Border Express) which allows you to cross to TIJ (which is on the border) for 15 dollars. I used it once. Not that convenient, given that there are limited transport options on the US side and the distance involved.

Still, if they could make it work somehow, it would be nice.

-IR

bmacleod

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Red Deer AB has a small airport but many chose to drive to larger YEG Edmonton.

Red Deer is roughly halfway between Calgary and Edmonton but Edmonton is a lot less busy/crowded....

Waterloo Regional Airport - YKF near Kitchener ON also serves Guelph ON.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Region_of_Waterloo_International_Airport
Last edited by bmacleod on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

JetBuddy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 pm

I haven't read through all the replies, but here's a few:

VIE is shared between Vienna and Bratislava.
CPH is de facto shared between Copenhagen, Malmö and Helsingborg.
DUS is the largest airport in the Rhine/Ruhr region in Germany (11,5 mill people).
NCE serves Nice, Cannes, Antibes and Monaco. (Cote d'Azur)

AAvgeek744

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm

delete, read threat title incorrectly.

Noise

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Piedmont Triad Airport between Greensboro, NC and Winston-Salem, NC

DocLightning

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 pm

While Toledo has its own airport, a large portion of people from Toledo choose to fly out of DTW owing to DTW's status as a DL hub and the vastly larger number of destinations with nonstop service that DTW offers vs. TOL.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

bobnwa

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

26point2 wrote:
I think an airport between Dallas and Fort Worth, TX would be a good idea.

TThere hasweent already been an airport between The two cities quite a while ago

bobnwa

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 pm

CXA330300 wrote:
BDL in Hartford also serves the metro area of New Haven. EWR de facto also serves a chunk of the Philly area.
BDL also serves the metro area of Springfiedl MA.

MainelyRick

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Two responses in one reply:
DFW is a shared airport with Dallas and Ft. Worth. It straddles the county line. Sharing was a hot topic when DFW was built. The failure of GSW was still fresh on people's minds. The airlines just wouldn't make the transition and Southwest AL was a few years away.
Maybe todays technology and rapid transit have made DFW work.
DAL is certainly busy and growing and somebody wants to try Meachem in Ft.Worth from time to time with Southwest type of service, only smaller.
Not sure this is a parallel to what was posted initially.
YMMV
Rick in Maine

2Holer4Longhaul

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm

TLV serves Tel Aviv metro, Jerusalem metro area, and a bunch of separate cities around around them.
Although HFA and KSM(?) exist, TLV really serves all of Israel except the Eilat area.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

evank516

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Interesting point of view, but TTN is roughly equidistant from Philadelphia and New York City and has air service. It could have some draw from the NYC Area and Philly Area as well.

rbavfan

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
I think an airport between Cincinnati and Dayton would have made sense.

'm assuming you live between CVG & DAY.

FWAERJ

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 pm

In addition to Indianapolis, IND serves the Bloomington, Terre Haute, and Lafayette areas that lack any commercial air service at their hometown airports.

IND also sees passengers from the East Central Illinois area (which has CMI and BMI), Fort Wayne (which has FWA, though I will add that FWA’s bleed to IND is much lower than it was a decade ago due to service and fare improvements), and Cincinnati (see FWA to see what has happened at CVG). IND also splits the Kokomo market with SBN and the Evansville market with EVV/SDF/STL.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

zakuivcustom

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Speaking of which I wonder if it is possible for city pairs like Osaka/Nagoya, Hanzhou/Shanghai, Okayama/Hiroshima to share an airport in the future by placing a new airport in the middle between those city in a style like DFW/MSP

Umm...

Osaka & Nagoya - Umm...the distance between the two cities are about equivalent to NYC & Philly. This is like suggesting a giant airport in Trenton would suffice for NYC & Philly (It doesn't). And it actually takes almost 2 hours to drive between the cities (Even riding Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Nagoya takes at least 50 minutes). And where exactly you're going to put the airport? Kyoto? Nara? Good luck either flattening a bunch of mountains or flattening a bunch of ancient temples.
Hangzhou & Shanghai - Well, there are talks about converting a military airfield in Jiaxing (Which is about halfway between Hangzhou and Shanghai) into a civilian airport. Even then, it's advertised more as "Shanghai's 3rd airport/Hangzhou's 2nd airport" rather than an end-all solution. You just have to realized how huge both cities are (Again, think NYC & Philly, except Shanghai is ~1.5x size of NYC and Hangzhou is ~1.5x size of Philly).
Okayama & Hiroshima - Umm...HIJ is far enough from Hiroshima city proper already, to the point that Shinkansen has enough share from Tokyo even with the distance involved. On the other hand, HIJ itself can be considered "shared" by two metro area (Hiroshima and Fukuyama).

Not to mention, Dallas (Downtown) to Fort Worth (Downtown) is ~30miles. Minneapolis and St Paul shares city border and their downtowns are about 12 miles apart. The city pairs you mentioned are all 60-80 miles apart.

Back to original topic - another Japan airport that's "Share" between two metro areas is KMQ (Komatsu), which is between Kanazawa and Fukui. ONJ (Odate-Noshiro Airport) in Northeastern Japan is shared between its namesake, although located in a city between them (Kitaakita, formerly Takanosu). MSJ (Misawa) is technically "shared" between Misawa City and Hachinohe, and HNA (Hanamaki) is technically "shared" between the group of cities in central Iwate prefecture (Hanamaki, Kitakami, and Morioka). Up in Hokkaido there's MMB (Memanbetsu) shared b/t Kitami and Abashiri.

Over in South Korea there's MWX (Muan Airport) that was intended to be shared between Gwangju and Mokpo. With KWJ (Gwangju Airport) not closing (at least not yet), however, that means nobody is using MWX, which is far from everything. Not to mention, it's much faster to go from that region all the way to ICN thanks to KTX. Doesn't help that Gwangju itself not exactly a tourist magnet, nor is the whole Honam/Jeolla area exactly an economic stronghouse (It's by far the poorest area in South Korea).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

spyglass

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
For so many years you've had people talking about building an airport between BUF and ROC around Batavia area (GVQ). Rumors will die out for a few years, them some politician will float the idea, the public argues about it, and like always it ends up completely dead.

If both cities didn't have well established airports, I'd say why not give it a shot. The main obstacle being the airport would be a minimum 30min away from either city, but hey, why not fantasize.

Well, economically, neither of them are settin' the world on fire....also, it'd only make sense to try to find a "mid-point" for 2 towns to build a new airfield (which, by the way, is fairly expensive) unless their current facilities are at or a little over capacity with no room for expansion. 'Course, it'd be great "hot stove league" fodder for the "avgeek" community (that's us) to pontificate about.....which carriers, how many flts and to where, types of metal. terminal design, # of runways, road access,....et al. Not too many of those, I don't think.
I remember when......a plane trip was a big deal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos