LAX772LR

Re: Delta C Series

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 pm

winginit wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
777Mech wrote:
with DFW being the bridge between the two.

Random.

Seemingly not so random as they two hubs and one spoke mentioned are what have been reported today.

Thank you. That's all I've been asking for: a tangible source.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

rbavfan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:04 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Not looking forward to this plane, for obvious reasons.

So for those that don't know you. What obvious reasons?

fsafsx

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Jayafe wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

I'll take, "DTW won't be one of the first bases/routes for the Cseries for $500, Alex"
Not at all, I'm just not excited about it, it's not anything grand IMHO. I would've been totally more excited for the 73MAX, and even than, the MAX doesn't impress me. I don't like the composite material on the C-Series, and judging the current seat "comfortable-ness", it makes me wonder if a person my size 6'3 and 190lbs can fit fine in it, because the 739 is total discomfort for me, I had a chance to look at the 350 and IMHO the seats aren't comfortable in the main cabin, so I'm not totally looking forward to it. I'm more excited at the fact they brought back 757's from the desert.

So arguments based on non sense, no experience and no logic. Copied ;)
(I am answering using your same tools)
This user flymco is nonsense he is a delta employee at detroit who thinks he knows everything about airlines and thinks hes going to be some grate route planner Lets see how Delta responds to this.

rbavfan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 pm

fsafsx wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Not at all, I'm just not excited about it, it's not anything grand IMHO. I would've been totally more excited for the 73MAX, and even than, the MAX doesn't impress me. I don't like the composite material on the C-Series, and judging the current seat "comfortable-ness", it makes me wonder if a person my size 6'3 and 190lbs can fit fine in it, because the 739 is total discomfort for me, I had a chance to look at the 350 and IMHO the seats aren't comfortable in the main cabin, so I'm not totally looking forward to it. I'm more excited at the fact they brought back 757's from the desert.

So arguments based on non sense, no experience and no logic. Copied ;)
(I am answering using your same tools)
This user flymco is nonsense he is a delta employee at detroit who thinks he knows everything about airlines and thinks hes going to be some grate route planner Lets see how Delta responds to this.

After all the 757's 1" greater average pitch is going to make that much difference between a 737 & a 757. I find that a bit of a stretch.

iamlucky13

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 pm

flymco753 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
767333ER wrote:
Reasons not so obviously to me, please, fill me in.

I'll take, "DTW won't be one of the first bases/routes for the Cseries for $500, Alex"

Personal reasons like for some undisclosed reason not liking carbon fiber are not obvious.

Legroom is up to the airlines. If Delta squeezes in the seats with too little legroom, that's not really the fault of the CSeries, and they can do the same on the 737 and 757, as well.

Seat width, on the other hand, is limited based on the aircraft fuselage design, and the Cseries is designed around wider seats than the 737.

Unfortunately, the only way to get significantly better comfort aside from an inch here or there on different planes or with different airlines is shelling out for premium ticket classes.

tofur

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 am

I am very excited for Delta Air Lines and their acquisition of the C-Series! I too believe it will be a "game changer". Looking forward to seeing how Delta Air Lines deploys the aircraft, and the corresponding operational data. The LGA based routes seem to make perfect sense. If the Swiss and Air Baltic accolades are to be believed, Delta Air Lines will be quite pleased. I have confidence in the Delta Air Lines management team.

Looking forward to C-Series 300 here at Air Canada in 2019, wishing it was sooner. The E190 and 319 cannot go soon enough. Hoping for C-Series 500 in the future and swapping out most of the newly ordered 737Max down the road.

ikolkyo

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10 am

tofur wrote:
I am very excited for Delta Air Lines and their acquisition of the C-Series! I too believe it will be a "game changer". Looking forward to seeing how Delta Air Lines deploys the aircraft, and the corresponding operational data. The LGA based routes seem to make perfect sense. If the Swiss and Air Baltic accolades are to be believed, Delta Air Lines will be quite pleased. I have confidence in the Delta Air Lines management team.

Looking forward to C-Series 300 here at Air Canada in 2019, wishing it was sooner. The E190 and 319 cannot go soon enough. Hoping for C-Series 500 in the future and swapping out most of the newly ordered 737Max down the road.

It's CS300, and I doubt a CS500 is coming anytime soon and I also doubt AC would get the aircraft to replace 737 MAX if at all.
Last edited by ikolkyo on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tofur

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 am

ikolkyo wrote:
tofur wrote:

Its CS300 and I doubt a CS500 is coming anytime soon and I also doubt AC would get the aircraft to replace 737 MAX if at all.

Thank you for the correction, very much appreciated!

jmt18325

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:27 am

tofur wrote:
Looking forward to C-Series 300 here at Air Canada in 2019, wishing it was sooner. The E190 and 319 cannot go soon enough.

Well, you're kind of in luck with the latter part. The E190 went from 45 to 25 about 12 months ago, ad the new fleet plan has the 37Max replacing the A319 at mainline before anything else.

n7371f

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:52 am

Alias1024 wrote:
deltadawg wrote:

As far as a "virtual base" in RDU - who the hell knows? Not sure how that works or the logisitics but seems to be possible this day and age.

I could definitely see the CSeries benefiting NYC (LGA primarily) on the longer routes such as LGA-DFW/ABQ/SAT/RNO/RSW and such. The CSeries would definitely be an upgrade from the CRJs on many of the LGA routes currently used even such routes as LGA-PWM which is shorter but need possible more capacity.

In the end I would definitely expect to see SEA and RDU as the first major uses for the CSeries.

SEA was the rumor about six months ago. Since then the focus seems to have shifted to NYC and LAX for the first C Series bases. It was confirmed in the last quarterly conference call that the first route will be out of NYC, though it did not specify what airport. As referenced in the bloomberg report, pilots are being told either NYC or LAX will be the first base, with a possibility both could be opened in the same bid. They were also told it is possible one of the two will be chosen and a virtual domicile established in DFW.

Routes like LGA-ABQ and LGA-RNO are well outside the LGA perimeter rule and would only be allowed to operate on Saturdays. Seems unlikely that DL would do that, though in the winter the CS might make a nice plane to go from LGA to the ski resorts out west on a Saturday only schedule. Lots of well off city dwellers vacation in places like Jackson Hole, Aspen, and Sun Valley.

SEA was the plan. Things change quickly in the biz. Before the BoD signed off on the purchase, then SEA VP Medeiros was part of the presentation (to the BoD) on the reasons for the CS100 buy. Back then everything lined up for SEA. But we're going back nearly 2 years now and planners do nothing but look at numbers and clearly see better opps in NYC and LAX.

As for LAX, this is not on great authority (other than DL is not happy at all with their performance since moving), there might be a desire to cut down on overall ops in favor of higher lift per flight - thus the CS100 over more E75's and CR7's. Plus there's the whole Compass-element that the airline just can't get out of its own way & continues to cause more harm than do good at Term 3.

aeromandan

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:11 am

Current Delta FA Bases:

ATL
BOS
CVG
DTW
FLL (also covers MIA)
HNL
LAX (also covers SNA/ONT)
MCO
MSP
NYC (LGA/JFK/EWR)
SEA
SFO
SLC

Alternative Flying Program (AFP/Virtual) Bases:

ORD (not covering MDW)
PDX
PHL (Summer Seasonal)
PIT (Summer Seasonal)
RDU (Summer Seasonal)
SAN
TPA

The Summer Seasonal bases are established to support CDG/LHR flights from those cities. Delta studied an AFP base in DFW a few years ago, but it was not cost effective at the time. In addition to AFPs, FAs are also allowed to start and end trips (known as Jetway Trading) in numerous other cities (including DFW/DAL) if their rotation transits that city and they find another FA to pickup the balance of the flying.

767333ER

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:47 am

flymco753 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
767333ER wrote:

How much do you actually know about the CS100? If it's comfort you're worried about, I'm not sure why you would rather a 737 MAX. As it is being of course operated, but Delta, we can presume the seat pitch will be the same as on any of their other narrowbody aircraft. The economy seat width on the CSeries is the widest out there at 18.5" and 19" for the middle seat. If it's the slim seats you are worried about, everything has those, even a lot of 757s you get excited over. And I'm not exactly sure how a 757 can be more comfortable than a 737-900 if it's the same tube with the same seats. You might find it quieter than the 737, but it's not exactly the quietest and you don't seem like the type that would care about noise.

It baffles me as to why the use of composite makes an airframe less grand or less exciting especially considering the CSeries still uses quite a bit of metal for parts such as the fuselage. From any perspective other than manufacturing, maintaining, eceonmical, and structural standpoints it would be hard to tell the difference between a metal jet and a composite one. You can't exactly tell what the 787 is built out of just by looking at it unless you are extremely close to it and even then.

I get the impression that you love the 757 the most. I can identify with that as I love the 757 too, there is lots to love about it, but what I see here is fanboyism towards the 757 that is clouding your judgement and turning you away from the facts. As far as the passenger experience goes, what you would experience, the CS100 really is something grand compared to the 737 or 757 or even the A320. Technology wise it is also something grand compared to those aforementioned planes, especially in the cockpit where the 737 and 757 really lack. As far as technology goes, the airlines so far seem to love it stating that it has had an exceptional EIS in terms of dispatch reliability and economics. If you don't like the grand technological advancements, I have one question for you, what's it to you, the passenger?

ikolkyo wrote:
It's CS300, and I doubt a CS500 is coming anytime soon and I also doubt AC would get the aircraft to replace 737 MAX if at all.

Perhaps not likely in the case that the CS500 does exist, but it probably all depends on what they end up doing with Rouge. The A319s are staying for the foreseeable future, but they will have to go at some point opening the void for 737s to fill, if they exercise options then they will probably fill it that way, if not it opens the door for CS500s. Of course, it's all speculation right now.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

flymco753

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm

767333ER wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
777Mech wrote:

How much do you actually know about the CS100? If it's comfort you're worried about, I'm not sure why you would rather a 737 MAX. As it is being of course operated, but Delta, we can presume the seat pitch will be the same as on any of their other narrowbody aircraft. The economy seat width on the CSeries is the widest out there at 18.5" and 19" for the middle seat. If it's the slim seats you are worried about, everything has those, even a lot of 757s you get excited over. And I'm not exactly sure how a 757 can be more comfortable than a 737-900 if it's the same tube with the same seats. You might find it quieter than the 737, but it's not exactly the quietest and you don't seem like the type that would care about noise.

It baffles me as to why the use of composite makes an airframe less grand or less exciting especially considering the CSeries still uses quite a bit of metal for parts such as the fuselage. From any perspective other than manufacturing, maintaining, eceonmical, and structural standpoints it would be hard to tell the difference between a metal jet and a composite one. You can't exactly tell what the 787 is built out of just by looking at it unless you are extremely close to it and even then.

I get the impression that you love the 757 the most. I can identify with that as I love the 757 too, there is lots to love about it, but what I see here is fanboyism towards the 757 that is clouding your judgement and turning you away from the facts. As far as the passenger experience goes, what you would experience, the CS100 really is something grand compared to the 737 or 757 or even the A320. Technology wise it is also something grand compared to those aforementioned planes, especially in the cockpit where the 737 and 757 really lack. As far as technology goes, the airlines so far seem to love it stating that it has had an exceptional EIS in terms of dispatch reliability and economics. If you don't like the grand technological advancements, I have one question for you, what's it to you, the passenger?
You present a good, supportive case towards the CS, but my feeling towards to CS is all gut. While factually, it'll be a stellar performer when it comes to technological advancements, my personal feeling towards other aspects of the aircraft doesn't seem to impress me or make me excited to see them enter the fleet. I'm impressed that such an aircraft has range capable of doing, without restrictions; JFK-ABQ, ATL-BOI, SEA-DFW, etc
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

fmi1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 pm

flyingfromcvg wrote:
Long, thin routes from JFK/LGA, LAX, and SEA. Think routes that only fill one frequency on a 738 or 320.
Examples may be:
SEA-CVG/IND/CLE
LAX-CMH/PIT/STL
JFK-DEN/AUS/OKC
LGA-DFW/STL/RSW

Really doubt you will see them going into the middle of country hubs like ATL, DTW and MSP because the 717s can handle most of the thin routes with the lower required range and those big hubs can fill 738/320s to the non-thin routes.

I know a lot here are saying the C100s are replacing the M88s but remember those are the size of the 738. I think DL is going to use the C100/300 to do thin point to point flying to their secondary hubs with higher O&D which I believe to be LAX, SEA and the NYC market.

I'm hoping they do get utilized on some long, thin routes. I would really like to see some volume going to SLC and SEA.

micstatic

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm

I can't understand any possible way a passenger would prefer a 737 to a C series. wider seats, bigger windows and so on. The 737 is really awful for everybody but the accountants.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

Jayafe

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:49 pm

micstatic wrote:
I can't understand any possible way a passenger would prefer a 737 to a C series. wider seats, bigger windows and so on. The 737 is really awful for everybody but the accountants.

And the fanboys, dont forget the fanboys...

thewizbizman

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:55 pm

They are going to start with them out of ATL. They have been moving MD90s to MSP and DTW, moving them out of ATL. MD88s have mainly stuck in ATL they will replace them out of there and if the planes work well, expand and replace the MD90.
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

DeltaRules

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 pm

flyingfromcvg wrote:
Long, thin routes from JFK/LGA, LAX, and SEA. Think routes that only fill one frequency on a 738 or 320.
Examples may be:
SEA-CVG/IND/CLE
LAX-CMH/PIT/STL
JFK-DEN/AUS/OKC
LGA-DFW/STL/RSW

Really doubt you will see them going into the middle of country hubs like ATL, DTW and MSP because the 717s can handle most of the thin routes with the lower required range and those big hubs can fill 738/320s to the non-thin routes.

I know a lot here are saying the C100s are replacing the M88s but remember those are the size of the 738. I think DL is going to use the C100/300 to do thin point to point flying to their secondary hubs with higher O&D which I believe to be LAX, SEA and the NYC market.

I think we've found the airplane DL would use for SEA-CMH if they're the one to launch it.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

burnsie28

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:11 pm

flymco753 wrote:
777Mech wrote:
767333ER wrote:

So 18.5" wide seats on the C Series are not going to be as good as a 17.5" seat on a 737? The main cabin seats on the A350 with the Recaro seats are far more comfy than the ones on the 737's to me and I'm slightly taller and heavier than you.

What is wrong with the composite? So you don't like the 787 ?

767333ER

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:45 pm

flymco753 wrote:
You present a good, supportive case towards the CS, but my feeling towards to CS is all gut. While factually, it'll be a stellar performer when it comes to technological advancements, my personal feeling towards other aspects of the aircraft doesn't seem to impress me or make me excited to see them enter the fleet. I'm impressed that such an aircraft has range capable of doing, without restrictions; JFK-ABQ, ATL-BOI, SEA-DFW, etc

Well if the reasons you aren't looking forward to the CS100 are all gut, then they aren't so obvious reasons and mostly illogical reasons then. I'm still curious, what other aspects of the aircraft are you not excitied about?
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

Okcflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Both CS100 and E175 are code III gate aircraft although the EJet wingspan is almost 20ft less. Will there be gate / taxiway / or other operational concerns at any airports for Delta?

Many times upgauging is a no-go due to facility constraints.

(This is also one area the A321/739-10 are far better than a 757 ... can fit more aircraft in a given terminal / operational space)

bluefltspecial

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Nola wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-14/delta-memo-signals-plan-for-new-bombardier-jet-in-l-a-new-york

Thanks Nola.

I am apparently one of the few in here that bothered to read this article.

"Delta will place the new CS100 planes on popular routes now served by the airline’s largest 76-seat regional jets, which will free up those planes to replace 50-seat aircraft around Delta’s system, President Glen Hauenstein said last month. He said New York would get the first CS100, without providing additional details. The plane has 108 seats in a standard dual-class configuration, according to Bombardier."

First bases will be NYC and LAX. Unknown if it will be LGA or JFK or both.

I read in another forum that it's providing even more than a 20% less fuel burn which was intially promised. I think once Delta starts getting these birds, and seeing the results, other airlines will likely start lining up.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 pm

NYC base is all three NY airports at DL

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 pm

flyingfromcvg wrote:
Examples may be:
SEA-CVG/IND/CLE
LAX-CMH/PIT/STL
JFK-DEN/AUS/OKC
LGA-DFW/STL/RSW

I really hope SEA/CVG and Maybe LGA/JFK to CVG occure

strfyr51

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 am

LAX772LR wrote:
WWads wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Why would they do that there, when they can use one of their actual hubs (e.g. MSP)?

NYC has a lot of RJs flying long routes that need to be replaced. JFK-MSY, DFW, IAH are good examples.
MSP is perfectly fine with MD90s and A320s.

Which still doesn't make all that much sense, considering that (1) those RJs are generally younger than the MD90s and definitely than the A320s, and (2) those RJs are where they are by choice, because the likes of NYC-DFW are a hub2hub route for a competitor with far more capacity.

That's nonsense!! No airplane fleet is where they are by choice!! They're where they are because that was the best choice at the time and the equipment available at the moment. .
United did the same thing before the merger. And now??
we're doin g something different. Just like Delta is going to do something different!! HELL! It's exciting!! I say stand by,, because the Fun?? Is just about to begin!!
We're getting ready to see a "wing ding doodle" pitched amongst the USA-3. It's going to b e FUN to watch cuz you ain't seen Nothin' Yet!
I'll bet compared to what's going on now.

LAX772LR

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:36 am

strfyr51 wrote:
No airplane fleet is where they are by choice!! They're where they are because that was the best choice at the time and the equipment available at the moment.

Anyone able to figure out what the heck that's supposed to actually mean? :confused:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

gsg013

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 am

I can definitly think of a few longer routes that could use the C-Series out of LGA. As stated LGA-DFW will be the first one. Then think of other long routes that could utilize the increased efficiency and could use the size larger than the CRJ-900/ ER-170/175.

LGA-MEM
LGA-BNA
LGA-ORD (Shuttle)
LGA-STL
LGA-MSY (I believe 1 flight of the two is A319)
LGA-AUS
LGA-IAH or (HOU)
LGA-DFW
These are just routes that are on regional jets off the top of my head that could easily be up gauged to a C-series.

If they want to get creative.
LGA-EYW
The fairs to EYW connecting through ATL from NYC are astronomical I recently paid $1300 RT in Coach on this route. The ticket was booked 2 months beforehand as well. Lots of NYC folks would pay top dollar for the non stop from LGA.

eugdjinn

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 am

I believe Delta was up front in some recent discussion that the CSeries will go to LGA, displace all of the CRJ 700/900s there which will move at the end of 2018 to Minneapolis to replace 200 flying allowing them to be retired. Every route from LGA could use the upgauge, and it lets them consolidate all of that flying to mainline. It conveniently or inconveniently, depending on one's perspective, dovetails with the end of ExpressJet's flying for the Delta banner. It's a pretty clearly thought out plan.

panamair

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am

gsg013 wrote:
LGA-AUS
These are just routes that are on regional jets off the top of my head that could easily be up gauged to a C-series.

AUS is outside of the perimeter and can only be flown from JFK. Delta currently already operates JFK-AUS 3x daily all on mainline A319s.

atl100million

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:08 pm

As has been noted, DL hasn't said that the Cseries will go to LGA but simply NYC - which includes JFK.

DL has a fleet of 90+ 717s but don't even have that many confirmed C series aircraft on order and won't even receive the 75 firm order C series for 3 years.

DFW and IAH are about the only routes which DL flies from LGA which are outside of the range of the 717 but which E jets and CR7/9s can do. Those large RJs are the bulk of DL's LGA-DFW/IAH flying today.
Given the increased range of the C series, it is highly unlikely that the C series will be used on many flights that the 717 could do. The next step up in DL (and most carriers' fleets) in terms of size and 3+ hour range is the A319, a high CASM aircraft like the 737-700. The C series is a low CASM sub 150 seat aircraft with transcon range.

Given that DL has said they intend to grow their mainline presence at DFW, the chances are pretty high that NYC- DFW is high on the list. DL's desire to slowly grow its capacity in Texas at the existing or lower CASM base is a key part of what the C series can do. The other part of the C series playbook is to allow new routes that are even beyond the range of the E jets (as well as the 717) but not the 319/737-700 to be opened.

Other than filling out aircraft rotations, it is doubtful that the C series will be used on missions that do not use its strengths and advantages over the lower performance, shorter range but similarly sized 717 (at least the CS100) or the smaller Ejets and two class large CRJs and the larger 319s/737-700s.

glbltrvlr

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Interesting column from a Forbes contributor:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed ... a3a866b041

Is Delta Airlines really preparing to charge the gates of hell – a.k.a., in this case, as Dallas Love Field and/or Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport - with Canadian-assembled water pistols?

Column goes on to cite the folly of trying to attack other airline hub markets, but then concludes by stating:

But a perhaps bigger reason Delta wants to pour some its new 100-seat jets into New York and Los Angeles is that it is hoping to increase the feed to its international departures from those super-competitive gateway airports.

So, by using low-priced, low-cost 100-seaters at both airports Delta might be hoping to increase its international market shares in both markets by adding one-stop/change-of-planes service to second-tier cities that might make its international flights more appealing than those of either American or United.

tlecam

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm

What if DL is trying to increase NYC and LAX point of sale / originating traffic? I mean Dallas is a huge market - that doesn't seem like an awful idea. Admittedly they're at a disadvantage since AA has hubs on both ends, but I don't think it's as stupid as the author makes it sound.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

glbltrvlr

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 pm

I think Reed's point is that this isn't about trying to take NYC and LA traffic into the center of the country, it's about making Delta outbound international flights from NYC and LA more attractive.

The water pistol comment was just amusing, with a gem of truth.

WWads

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 pm

atl100million wrote:
As has been noted, DL hasn't said that the Cseries will go to LGA but simply NYC - which includes JFK.

DL has a fleet of 90+ 717s but don't even have that many confirmed C series aircraft on order and won't even receive the 75 firm order C series for 3 years.

DFW and IAH are about the only routes which DL flies from LGA which are outside of the range of the 717 but which E jets and CR7/9s can do. Those large RJs are the bulk of DL's LGA-DFW/IAH flying today.
Given the increased range of the C series, it is highly unlikely that the C series will be used on many flights that the 717 could do. The next step up in DL (and most carriers' fleets) in terms of size and 3+ hour range is the A319, a high CASM aircraft like the 737-700. The C series is a low CASM sub 150 seat aircraft with transcon range.

Given that DL has said they intend to grow their mainline presence at DFW, the chances are pretty high that NYC- DFW is high on the list. DL's desire to slowly grow its capacity in Texas at the existing or lower CASM base is a key part of what the C series can do. The other part of the C series playbook is to allow new routes that are even beyond the range of the E jets (as well as the 717) but not the 319/737-700 to be opened.

Other than filling out aircraft rotations, it is doubtful that the C series will be used on missions that do not use its strengths and advantages over the lower performance, shorter range but similarly sized 717 (at least the CS100) or the smaller Ejets and two class large CRJs and the larger 319s/737-700s.

The 737-700s in DL's fleet are specifically meant for short-runway hot and high ops. Generally in Latin America. I don't see them going anywhere. The A319s will probably go sooner rather than later though.

Sightseer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 pm

glbltrvlr wrote:

Is Delta Airlines really preparing to charge the gates of hell – a.k.a., in this case, as Dallas Love Field and/or Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport - with Canadian-assembled water pistols?

Column goes on to cite the folly of trying to attack other airline hub markets, but then concludes by stating:

But a perhaps bigger reason Delta wants to pour some its new 100-seat jets into New York and Los Angeles is that it is hoping to increase the feed to its international departures from those super-competitive gateway airports.

So, by using low-priced, low-cost 100-seaters at both airports Delta might be hoping to increase its international market shares in both markets by adding one-stop/change-of-planes service to second-tier cities that might make its international flights more appealing than those of either American or United.

It was very hard for me to take the writer seriously, since he apparently has no idea that DL already flies from NYC and LAX to Dallas multiple times per day (8 and 4, respectively) and devoted over 2/3 of his article to an irrelevant discussion on hub-raiding.

winginit

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Sightseer wrote:
glbltrvlr wrote:

It was very hard for me to take the writer seriously, since he apparently has no idea that DL already flies from NYC and LAX to Dallas multiple times per day (8 and 4, respectively) and devoted over 2/3 of his article to an irrelevant discussion on hub-raiding.

Came here to post this but you've beat me to the punch, and with the same reaction no less. Mr. Reed appears to be under some false premise that Delta intends to hub DAL or DFW with the C-Series versus simply replacing the existing RJs with the frame. A pretty staggering, and obviously wrong, misinterpretation to build an entire article off of.

Sancho99504

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 pm

C series will definitely have a big presence at DFW.
Expect to see it fly to all the hubs plus RDU and MCO.
Ed wants to be careful in dealing with the 800lb gorilla at DFW. Kind of made it seem like he doesn't want to ruin his friendship with Douglas. SEA-DFW will only be one daily to start.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

winginit

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Sancho99504 wrote:
Ed wants to be careful in dealing with the 800lb gorilla at DFW. Kind of made it seem like he doesn't want to ruin his friendship with Douglas. SEA-DFW will only be one daily to start.

I have no evidence with which to claim the contrary, but source? What you've said is more robust than what I was expecting, which was simply replacing NYC-DFW and LAX-DFW RJs with C Series.

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:43 pm

How do you guys think DL would do out of DAL with the CSeries to DTW/JFK/ATL to target international connecting banks?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Nola

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Sancho99504 wrote:

I really miss the DFW hub. It made going to LAS, SAN, PDX, SLC etc. really easy. The nonstop to LAX helps but there are a lot of places between MSY and LAX where DL just isn't convenient. I find myself backtracking to ATL or going to DTW when DFW or another Texas hub would be far more convenient. (I know, I could just fly AA or UA, but I just haven't been ready to take that plunge).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos