Flyingstump
Topic Author

Sun Country to Change Strategy

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 pm

According to this article, Sun Country's new CEO, Jude Bricker, Allegiant's former COO, told employees about his vision for the airline moving forward. This includes:

- Cutting costs (partly through employee buyouts)
- New fees for additional revenue
- More seats
- Expansion beyond Minneapolis-St Paul

I thought something like this would happen as soon as I saw a former Allegiant executive hired, and this is somewhat sad to see. It was nice to see a smaller, independent carrier known for good customer service still flying around, but as the article mentions, this new strategy sounds like the airline will become the next Frontier. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

http://www.startribune.com/changing-dir ... 440782193/

SteveXC500

Re: Sun Country to Change Strategy

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Under "new fees" includes charging for overhead bin space. As someone on a Facebook group put it, "goodbye Sun Country...welcome Sun Spirit."

SteveXC500

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Where do we see SY expanding beyond MSP? Will their markets be places like DSM, FAR, etc. in the Midwest or do they go for larger cities lacking good flights to places like Florida and LAS, for example?

TVNWZ

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:24 pm

You can not afford to leave money on the table.

kcrwflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Where do we see SY expanding beyond MSP? Will their markets be places like DSM, FAR, etc. in the Midwest or do they go for larger cities lacking good flights to places like Florida and LAS, for example?

There are no larger cities lacking good flights to Florida, and you'd have to fly very far east to find any lacking LAS at this point.

I'm interested to see where this goes, however.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I hope he does not kill Sun Country

klakzky123

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Well that sucks but this was inevitable. There is an attainable middle ground that they need to figure out. Adding new seats and new ancillary fees seems like a no brainer but the customer service part is critical. If they throw that away, then they're flirting with ULCC territory and their costs and scale won't allow them to effectively compete with Spirit and Frontier (unless they go full LCC but they dont have the cash to make the transition the way Frontier did).

SteveXC500

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:29 pm

What happens to the approx. 25-40 flights per day by SY out of MSP (depending on time of year)? If many or even some go away, DL will raise fares. SY is good competition to DL.

LAXintl

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Certainly removing first class would be a move to make. Cabins rather useless on charters while often filled with day of departure airport upgrades on the scheduled service flying.
Dumping F class also removes the need and complexity of hot catering so SY can stick to buy on board for economy pax.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

usflyer msp

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Flyingstump wrote:
According to this article, Sun Country's new CEO, Jude Bricker, Allegiant's former COO, told employees about his vision for the airline moving forward. This includes:

- Cutting costs (partly through employee buyouts)
- New fees for additional revenue
- More seats
- Expansion beyond Minneapolis-St Paul

I thought something like this would happen as soon as I saw a former Allegiant executive hired, and this is somewhat sad to see. It was nice to see a smaller, independent carrier known for good customer service still flying around, but as the article mentions, this new strategy sounds like the airline will become the next Frontier. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

http://www.startribune.com/changing-dir ... 440782193/

Boo. Bad move by Sun Country. Almost all of their domestic routes already have ULCC competition - so why choose SY? SY was my back-up carrier out of MSP but I will not be partaking of this new SY experience (I don't fly NK, F9 or G4 either).

Flyingstump
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

With an Allegiant influence, I would guess a small to mid-sized, underserved city that draws tourists or leisure travelers. If they are willing to do connections, as SY already seems to do, they would have more options. If I had to guess, I would say an expansion at RSW, but it's really hard to say. Sun Country currently does the opposite of Allegiant. They have 1 hub in a larger city where they derive the majority of their clients and fly mostly to sunny, vacation destinations. Allegiant, on the other hand, has focus cities at several vacation destinations that draw customers from smaller cities across the country. If they wanted to be the reverse of Allegiant, network wise, they could pick other larger cities to focus on the same way they have in MSP and fly to the same or similar destinations that they currently fly to from MSP.

flyoregon

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Are the owners of SY going to allow it?

I always thought they should get some EMB-175's and hit smaller markets from MSP like BOI, COS, or RNO, and do an Icelandair like hub strategy. Probably a completely stupid idea, but I'm full of those.

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Calling it now: merger (buy out) with (by) Southwest within the next 10 years.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

af773atmsp

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Allegiant Sun rolls off the tongue nicely, not that I would support such a merger.

Guess I picked the wrong time to join their frequent flyer program. Alaska and Southwest may be getting my attention more. Also would be nice to finally have B6 at MSP.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

stlgph

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm all for them cherry picking a few new cities and destinations outside of Indianapolis (let's say, Indianapolis to Florida, for example), but charging for overhead bin space is probably going to get them their biggest backlash.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

lavalampluva

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm

SY lost quite a lot money last year. Then they fired the CEO and brought in a new one. With the strategy above I can't see it working out for them. Airlines are obsessed with fees and nickel-and-diming passengers. But if they prove me wrong I will admit that I was wrong.

Maybe a merger with AS (similar fleet)?
Last edited by lavalampluva on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

AWACSooner

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 pm

TVNWZ wrote:

And yet, WN continues to turn profitable quarter after profitable quarter while somehow allowing two free checked bags.

jnev3289

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
SY lost quite a lot money last year. Then they fired the CEO and brought in a new one. With the strategy above I can't see it working out for them. Airlines are obsessed with fees and nickel-and-diming passengers. But if they prove me wrong I will admit that I was wrong.

Did they? I knowthey didn't perform well but I think it's wrong to say they lost a lot of money.

http://www.startribune.com/sun-country- ... 423228523/

SteveXC500

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:25 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

SY's fleet is all leased, so deos a buyer (or merging partner) get anything unless they can assume all leases, routes, agreements, etc?

stlgph

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

seriously. why the obsession for everyone to merge with everyone. at this rate, let's just have one airline and change it airliner.net.

oy vey people.

lavalampluva

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:29 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Did they? I knowthey didn't perform well but I think it's wrong to say they lost a lot of money.

http://www.startribune.com/sun-country- ... 423228523/

Revenue -$519 million (2016)
Operating income -$15 million (2016)
Net income -$16 million (2016)

stlgph wrote:

seriously. why the obsession for everyone to merge with everyone. at this rate, let's just have one airline and change it airliner.net.

oy vey people.

Sometimes a merger is the only way to save a product. But sometimes not.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

usflyer msp

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm

SY turned a profit last year. its owners are just unhappy that their margins are no where near the major carriers - that is why the CEO was replaced.

Passedv1

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

I think SY is too small to be bought out. Is MSP gate constrained. I think that might be the only thing worth having that justifies the headache of a merger.

stlgph

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Save? K, here's a scavenger hunt for you:

1. AirTran
2. TWA
3. America West
4. Continental
5. Northwest

Good luck!

SteveXC500

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I think SY is too small to be bought out. Is MSP gate constrained. I think that might be the only thing worth having that justifies the headache of a merger.

Someone with good skills should create the route map of SY/WN. Eliminate DFW for DAL. Eliminate any airports SY flies to which WN does not (maybe move it to something close - i.e. JFK to LGA). It would look nice.

atl100million

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:58 pm

SY is an in-between carrier in many senses (not as large as a legacy carrier, costs not as low as a low cost carrier) operating in a legacy carrier hub which offers greater frequency on just about every route.

They had no choice but to move up or down the product line. They chose down.

The linked MSP newspaper article is full of comments from passengers that flew them but won't if they take away amenities, highlighting that is very, very hard to "cheapen" your product and retain customers.

SteveXC500

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:01 pm

What amenities? You get free soda or water. Everything else is already a charge.

airliner371

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:10 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Someone with good skills should create the route map of SY/WN. Eliminate DFW for DAL. Eliminate any airports SY flies to which WN does not (maybe move it to something close - i.e. JFK to LGA). It would look nice.

Does it look that nice though? Southwest could easily add SEA, PDX, LAX, OAK, SAN, DAL and AUS, and that's basically SY. I mean SY really isn't that big, simply not worth it for WN unless they get SY for a steal. WN already is basically as large at MSP as SY.

SteveXC500

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Essentially, they would add SEA, PDX, LAX, SAN, SFO, DAL...but, additionally, make LAS year round and more frequent Florida. Would they pick up some of the international? CUN? How about New England - BOS, NYC? Then, I would say, the route map looks great.

For parts of the year, WN is as big as SY. But, even this winter, WN cut a couple flights (mainly MKE) dropping them to about 24. SY will be upwards of 40+ on Saturdays, but otherwise around 32. Someone can correct my numbers...from memory.

MSPSXMFLIER

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 pm

8598033649 wrote:
I hope he does not kill Sun Country

I honestly don't see how this rebirth as a 'no frills' airline will succeed? You've already got Spirit, Frontier, Southwest, Allegiant and JetBlue out there. It will be an uphill climb to compete with those carriers and grow their market share. Jude Bricker has already sealed Sun Country's fate, in my opinion.

Italianflyer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Hmmm....what's old is what's new. Back in the day weren't their DC10s stuffed with 380 seats?? I hope they can carve out a niche that isn't saturated by G4 and NK. Frontier has midsized cities-near international covered.

MSPSXMFLIER

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
Well that sucks but this was inevitable. There is an attainable middle ground that they need to figure out. Adding new seats and new ancillary fees seems like a no brainer but the customer service part is critical. If they throw that away, then they're flirting with ULCC territory and their costs and scale won't allow them to effectively compete with Spirit and Frontier (unless they go full LCC but they dont have the cash to make the transition the way Frontier did).

I think they stand to lose a lot in the area of customer service. If you've read the Startribune article, they are hoping that some of the more senior employees take the buyout offers. They can then hire cheaper, younger, less experienced people. In my mind, having your tenured flight attendants take buyouts and leave, is throwing away that great customer service.

I must also assume that there will be no more 1st class section as this is one area where the 'more seats planned' that was mentioned, would take place.

I fly them for the wonderful 1st class product they offer, on flights to SXM and SJU. There is no way I will continue if that product is no longer available and I think many of the other 1st class fliers would feel the same way.

treebeard787

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Well that is supremely disappointing, I always enjoyed SY the times I flew with them. With these coming changes though, I will likely be choosing another carrier instead.
Allons-y!

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:39 pm

SY can still do the snowbird niche. They can have a hub in Phoenix (or Vegas area) and (say the FL panhandle) to serve northern US cities, and a hub in an MSP-sized city in the north with flights going south, with most of the network being targeted for O&D in their focus cities and most flights being less than daily. If they want to start a network, a small focus city in DEN wouldn't be a bad place to start. It's centrally located, high O&D, fast growing metro, and year-round demand for leisure.

Sun Country should still focus on their niche of large amounts of seasonal service. If they go full-network, they are boned.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ILNFlyer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

I give it 2 years max.

b747400erf

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 pm

flyoregon wrote:
Are the owners of SY going to allow it?

I always thought they should get some EMB-175's and hit smaller markets from MSP like BOI, COS, or RNO, and do an Icelandair like hub strategy. Probably a completely stupid idea, but I'm full of those.

They could call it Midwest Express!

mrbonfire

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 pm

There's no USP to take on Frontier et al. In the UK we had a similar case with ZB who, unlike SY, were mismanaged and had no choice but to become a ulcc. Other carriers came in and did it better and basically had their breakfast.

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Maybe SY will be the airline to do something with GYY. Its in the neighborhood more or less and a few Florida/Vegas routes plus a connection to the MSP operation would be a good way to test the waters. At least its a an unserved market near a major metro area.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

msycajun

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 pm

I think a set of hubs at MSP and MSY would do nicely! That aside, I am surprised they've never tried MSY, apart from the occasional charter. If they don't I'm sure NK will at some point.

peterj324

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Very disappointing because they are such a good airline that provides competition out of MSP. If they trasition to an ULCC they will have a very tough time against the already established and much larger Spirit at Frontier.

And on the topic of WN buying out Sun Country, my question is why? Their whole fleet is leased and Southwest can find plenty of aircraft elsewhere and Sun Country has its hub in MSP while WN has plenty of hubs elsewhere so they probably don't compete much.

TVNWZ

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
AWACSooner wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

And yet, WN continues to turn profitable quarter after profitable quarter while somehow allowing two free checked bags.

When I check them out for a flight they are often just a little higher than other airlines on my routes. A lot of the time two checked bags higher.

AWACSooner

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:02 pm

TVNWZ wrote:

When I check them out for a flight they are often just a little higher than other airlines on my routes. A lot of the time two checked bags higher.

For you, yes...for others, no...and there seem to be a lot of others...hence the huge profits.

sunking737

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 pm

They are getting 5 more planes for the 2017/2018 winter season. The talk of added seats is just talk for now. Remember talk is cheap. I still have a wait and see attitude. They have a good bunch charters in and out of IFP. two planes just for that. A 737-700 that is based there and a 737-800 that departs MSP early every morning, stops at a city, goes to IFP turns goes to another city, and returns back to MSP at night.
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

ty97

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:25 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

For you, yes...for others, no...and there seem to be a lot of others...hence the huge profits.

OT: There are a lot of cattle that go to Southwest.com assuming they are getting the best deal and booking without shopping around. Southwest spent years conditioning their clientele to do this and then, when the Pavlovian response was instilled, wisely raised their prices while continuing to the heavily advertise 'bags flag free' to keep their passenger base from shopping around and to avoid losing potential bag revenue by pricing bags in. This is why Southwest actively blocks their fares from appearing on other sites.

Brilliant business move by Southwest, really. And sure, there are still some cases where they are cheaper, but when I search them (and I do often, to compare) they are almost never cheaper for my searches. More often than that, I find them to be priced equivalently to the majors (as someone who usually does not check bags this is a wash for me), sometimes pricier, occasionally cheaper though rarely by much.

This doesn't make Southwest bad, of course. They are a fine airline and a smart business. But the 'low fares' Southwest of old is mostly gone. A lot of Southwest fliers just don't know that.

And as always, YMMV.

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
What happens to the approx. 25-40 flights per day by SY out of MSP (depending on time of year)? If many or even some go away, DL will raise fares. SY is good competition to DL.

SY may be good competition to DL at MSP but it isn't successful in numbers. It doesn't even make the top 5 operating carriers by domestic passenger count at MSP -- and that's without DL Connection, United Express, and American Eagle being aggregated. AA (even mainline only) and WN are ahead of SY at MSP.

airplaneboy

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 pm

ty97 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

OT: There are a lot of cattle that go to Southwest.com assuming they are getting the best deal and booking without shopping around. Southwest spent years conditioning their clientele to do this and then, when the Pavlovian response was instilled, wisely raised their prices while continuing to the heavily advertise 'bags flag free' to keep their passenger base from shopping around and to avoid losing potential bag revenue by pricing bags in. This is why Southwest actively blocks their fares from appearing on other sites.

Brilliant business move by Southwest, really. And sure, there are still some cases where they are cheaper, but when I search them (and I do often, to compare) they are almost never cheaper for my searches. More often than that, I find them to be priced equivalently to the majors (as someone who usually does not check bags this is a wash for me), sometimes pricier, occasionally cheaper though rarely by much.

This doesn't make Southwest bad, of course. They are a fine airline and a smart business. But the 'low fares' Southwest of old is mostly gone. A lot of Southwest fliers just don't know that.

And as always, YMMV.

According to numerous studies and polls over the years, Southwest has the strongest brand recognition and most positive image amongst airlines in the US (don't have time to provide links, but you can google this). I recall reading they rank in the top tier of companies in brand recognition (with the likes of Apple, Google, etc). Delta was also on the list I saw, but much farther down. Therefore, they don't need to sell tickets via third parties like other airlines and give up revenue (to pay those said third parties), when they already make a hefty profit just by selling directly through their own website. People aren't stupid or dumb- people who fly Southwest DO check other airlines and websites. And people who fly Southwest have generally flown on other airlines before. I feel like you are trying to suggest that Southwest has conditioned the traveling public to think they are the cheapest option. Southwest never claimed to have the LOWEST fares. Just LOW fares, and good value. They may not always be the cheapest option- but neither is Frontier or Spirit. It's called revenue management; NK and F9 can't sell EVERY seat on a flight at $39. Once that inventory of seats has sold, the fares for remaining seats go higher.

commavia

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm skeptical. I understand the motivation to rethink the business model, but I'm unsure as to whether the U.S. needs, or can profitably support, a fourth ULCC on top of the existing three (all of which are considerably larger than Sun Country).

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 am

commavia wrote:
I'm skeptical. I understand the motivation to rethink the business model, but I'm unsure as to whether the U.S. needs, or can profitably support, a fourth ULCC on top of the existing three (all of which are considerably larger than Sun Country).

:checkmark: I agree outside of MSP, SY has very little brand recognition, so expansion would be extremely hard especially since NK/G4/F9 operate their various ULCC niches very effectively I don't see where SY fits in.

Another odd thing about SY is that they consider RSW a focus city, yet they only operate two destinations from there, which kind of goes to show how small they are outside of MSP.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

stlgph

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 am

Let's be real.

Does the U.S. need another bottom feeding airline? No
Will it work? Yes
Does it matter they've been "stuck" in MSP all these years? No
Are we sad to see it change? Yes
Will it be better off for Sun Country? Yes.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 am

stlgph wrote:
Let's be real.

Does the U.S. need another bottom feeding airline? No
Will it work? Yes
Does it matter they've been "stuck" in MSP all these years? No
Are we sad to see it change? Yes
Will it be better off for Sun Country? Yes.

Would you like to expand on any of those claims, seems like you shouldn't be so certain on a few of those answers....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos