Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

Janet Aircraft to be maintained by Airborne at ILN?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 am

Hadn't seen anything about this, but given the general fascination with Janet aircraft, I thought this might be interesting to the forum.

Looks like one of the Janet 736s will be flying from LAS to ILN today. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WWW206

From the flight number, I'm guessing it's ship number 206, or N288DP.

Ain't nothin' much at ILN these days except the maintenance operation of ATSG, Airborne Maintenance and Engineering Svcs (AMES).

They do a lot of private maintenance, including cargo jets leased to other carriers by ATSG's leasing affiliate, as well as a goodly number of passenger aircraft for the likes of Dynamic, XTRA and other charter carriers, including 737s. (And of course, recently-acquired PEMCO does a lot of 737 work.) So stands to reason that they may have picked up some MRO work for Janet.

(I would say "for EG&G", the venerable under-the-radar government secret-projects contractor that originally operated the Janet aircraft, but that entity was swallowed by another entity, which was swallowed by another, and so on and so on to the point that I have lost track of who the actual contract is with these days. I think the parent company is now AECOM. The nitwits at purchaser URS decided to dump the 70-year-old EG&G name in favor of something snazzy like "URS Federal Services Division", then were pressured by activist investors to break up and were instead bought out by AECOM. Maybe the contract still is technically with EG&G Special Projects, Inc., maybe it isn't.)

The aircraft themselves are actually owned by the USAF, which bought the 737-600s from Air China when they were 6 or 7 years old.

In any event, it appears that AMES may have a nifty new customer.

Cool drone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfq-9F3rrcs&t=359s

reltney

Re: Janet Aircraft to be maintained by Airborne at ILN?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 am

Many Janet's planes are in Deltas hangars in ATL for maintenance.

flymia

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 am

reltney wrote:

Yes. Last October I was at ATL taking a tour of Delta HQ and Tech Ops and they have a Janet 737 in there. It was in a gated area of the hangar with access only to people with cards and no photo signs were all over.

United_fan

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:20 pm

flymia wrote:
reltney wrote:

Yes. Last October I was at ATL taking a tour of Delta HQ and Tech Ops and they have a Janet 737 in there. It was in a gated area of the hangar with access only to people with cards and no photo signs were all over.

Really,what's so secretive about them ? They just transport workers .

Polot

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 pm

United_fan wrote:
flymia wrote:
reltney wrote:

Workers who may know sensitive/classified material. They want to make sure the aircraft is not tampered with/bugged in any way.

United_fan

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Polot wrote:
United_fan wrote:
flymia wrote:

Workers who may know sensitive/classified material. They want to make sure the aircraft is not tampered with/bugged in any way.

That makes sense. The bugging part.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos