Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Irehdna
Topic Author

Possibility of AI resuming BOM-FRA?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:59 am

AI said a while back that they would start a flight from BOM to FRA in July:

https://twitter.com/airindiain/status/8 ... 5085794306

Now I know that AI has been adding long-haul only from DEL recently (with the exception of AMD-LHR), and has cut BOM-FRA, along with BOM-HKG/JFK/ORD/CDG around 2009-2010. But is there any hope of AI returning a meaningful international presence at BOM with a BOM-FRA flight?

BLR-FRA gets 1xB748 and DEL-FRA gets 1xA380 and 1xB788, but BOM-FRA only gets 1xB744. I was thinking if BOM-FRA could use more capacity.

A timing like:

AI190 FRA1700 - 0530+1BOM 788 135
AI189 BOM0945 - 1450FRA 788 135

This would a) provide much better timings for European businessmen, especially from Frankfurt, to take a trip to Mumbai before a day at work, and b) connect well with some of LH and *A offerings not connecting with LH756/757.

Another thing that is somewhat interesting is that AI serves BOM-LHR over BOM-FRA. Now I know that BOM-LHR does have more demand and yield, but there is a lot of competition with BA and 9W, and the timings of the AI flight are not ideal, due to the restrictions of LHR slot. Additionally, BA can connect easily at LHR, 9W at both BOM and LHR (via VS and DL). AI cannot connect much at LHR. FRA offers *A connections and a route with less competition. Therefore, is AI at an economic disadvantage of operating BOM-LHR over BOM-FRA, or is it that even with all this competition and lack of connection possibilities, LHR is more desirable for AI than FRA?

killswitch13

Re: Possibility of AI resuming BOM-FRA?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:08 pm

And with BREXIT it makes even more sense launching FRA ex BOM. Maybe they are waiting for all the B788 a/c's to arrive i.e. Sept/October.

skipness1E

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm

BREXIT has squat diddly to do with this as London is still the world's leading P2P city. STAR ALLIANCE airlines like Air Canada and United still have a much greater presence in London than Germany and Air India now has four daily B788s out of LHR's new T2.

Can we please stop using the UK taking back control of our own borders and laws as a tangent please

User001

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 pm

An Indian airline needs to launch BOM-MAN. Now one of the largest unserved India markets in Europe!

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm

User001 wrote:
An Indian airline needs to launch BOM-MAN. Now one of the largest unserved India markets in Europe!

YES! Direct service between MAN and India resuming is LONG overdue.

IrishAyes

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Honestly, the impact of Brexit on Indian routes appears to have been relatively immaterial. I mean, for goodness sake, they relaunched EWR-LHR!

LAX772LR

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Now I know that AI has been adding long-haul only from DEL recently (with the exception of AMD-LHR), and has cut BOM-FRA, along with BOM-HKG/JFK/ORD/CDG

Why is that? Did they formally close BOM as a hub to consolidate around DEL? Does the market just not support it? Government influence?

I'm guessing it's some combo of the above, but with AI, ya never know... so guess it'd better to ask.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

killswitch13

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 pm

BOM-FRA on LH changes back to B748 once the winter schedule comes into effect.

Maharashtra especially the Mumbai-Pune region has been the base of the many German companies operating in India. This also made LH add an additional flight to their existing 3 flights to PNQ taking it to 4 flights a week.

Probably slot issues at BOM could be one of the reasons for the delay.

If I correctly remember the ex CMD Lohani had mentioned in a video on Air India Deutschland Facebook Page that they are actively considering re launching FRA-BOM somewhere in October.

Also he had mentioned there would be nore more new launches to Europe after Stockholm and Copenhagen from Delhi.

abrelosojos

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 pm

BOM-FRA will happen within next year.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Irehdna
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:41 am

User001 wrote:

9W would be a better bet for this, due to better network at BOM and partner VS at MAN. However, I don't know if there is the transfer traffic to USA to sustain a route, as 9W/VS route well through LHR. I would imagine there is a good amount of demand from MAN-India solely, though.

I do think AI has two choices:
    1. Operate 1 hub (DEL) for all long-haul international flights connecting to domestic flights
    2. Have 3 hubs (DEL, BOM, BLR) where DEL is for all US nonstops and most Europe/E. Asia/S.E. Asia flights flights, BLR for Australia and S.E. Asia, and BOM for Middle East and Africa.

So far, AI seems to be choosing strategy 1, which makes much more economic sense for a (relatively) smaller airline like AI than 3 distinct hubs. DEL is the closest for Europe, E. Asia, and N. America, and not that much further from AUS than BLR, and not that much further from ME than BOM. If they want to add a new BOM-Europe or especially BOM-USA nonstop, they need to make sure that there is enough demand and yield service to sustain such a service, as BOM overflies DEL and 2/3 of India.

FRA is interesting, however, and I do think there is enough demand in MH to sustain a 2nd BOM-FRA. And given that FRA is *A hub, FRA could be one possible BOM-Europe nonstop route that AI should be considering.

atal17

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:59 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Irehdna wrote:
Now I know that AI has been adding long-haul only from DEL recently (with the exception of AMD-LHR), and has cut BOM-FRA, along with BOM-HKG/JFK/ORD/CDG

Why is that? Did they formally close BOM as a hub to consolidate around DEL? Does the market just not support it? Government influence?

I'm guessing it's some combo of the above, but with AI, ya never know... so guess it'd better to ask.

At that time, infrastructure at IGIA had taken a turn for good, with the opening of Terminal 3 in 2010.

CSIA was languishing at the time with the dilapidated Terminal 2 (the new terminal was not yet built then). Add to the fact that the new T3 in Delhi would facilitate smoother domestic-international connections, AI decided to consolidate at DEL.

voxkel

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm

I personally think BOM-FRA/ORD are much better options than LHR/EWR. EWR is well-timed, but they are competing with UA, who has massive feed on the EWR side. I don't know why AI still operates BOM-LHR nonstop to be honest though. Poor timing, poor connections on both ends, and competing with 9W/BA. I imagine they fill their planes with low-yielding passengers and operate BOM-LHR at a loss.

ORD I think AI should try due to underserved market, BOM-based population in ORD, higher-yielding than EWR, and massive *A hub.

CHI2DFW

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:57 pm

voxkel wrote:
I personally think BOM-FRA/ORD are much better options than LHR/EWR. EWR is well-timed, but they are competing with UA, who has massive feed on the EWR side. I don't know why AI still operates BOM-LHR nonstop to be honest though. Poor timing, poor connections on both ends, and competing with 9W/BA. I imagine they fill their planes with low-yielding passengers and operate BOM-LHR at a loss.

ORD I think AI should try due to underserved market, BOM-based population in ORD, higher-yielding than EWR, and massive *A hub.

AI could pack ORD-BOM, but it’s a long flight. Normally yield would be an issue, but thus is AI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos