rbavfan

Re: ONT unveils new branding, launches marketing campaign

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Beardown91737 wrote:
ONT is mostly concerned with being able to serve the local catchment area and drive an economic engine for the region. No one is trying to make anyone from Los Angeles drive to ONT to catch a plane. We just want to have our nice convenient airport and not bother with a drive to west BFE. We want our incoming travelers to have a nearby place to arrive, go to the business they need to go to, and stay in our hotels, etc, so they can miss the mess at LAX.

The OIAA will do some marketing campaigns to raise awareness for incoming passengers. I am sure that the "SoCal So easy" will be the marketing message outside of SoCal. It makes it an easier choice for travelers who have destinations further east.

32andBelow wrote:
Most people flying into LA want to go west or north or LA so you'll wind up driving past LAX, LBG, SNA, and BUR on your way to your final destination.

You would not drive past any of these. SNA is to the south, LGB is southwest and almost on the coast. LAX is in west BFE with nothing to the west but water, so you cannot drive past it unless your car floats. BUR maybe, but if that is where you are going, just book your trip to BUR.

LOL. Good points on the drive past the other Airports. Note however James Bonds car could swim.

jnev3289

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:34 pm

When I fly back to visit family I will choose whichever flight is cheapest and has relatively good timings/layovers to any of LAX, BUR, SNA, LGB, or ONT, unless BUR is only a little more expensive. My family who picks me up lives near Pasadena and they strongly prefer BUR when its reasonable. The driving time to any of the others is really not that different, but I guess they may live in an area that is somewhat unique in that way.

seat38a

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:
Demographics are not even close. I've worked in Stockton. Also not so densely populated as the IE, East LA County areas.

Fewer people - yes.
Very similar types of people however.

a) lower income people in service industry jobs
b) middle income people priced out owning in closer in areas. They spend an absurd percentage of their income on housing and transportation - not much left for leisure travel. They don't travel for work.

Where in the I.E. do you live? Because your perspective is very different from me who has lived in the western I.E. for 30 years. I agree on your perspective if you were talking the San Bernardino or Victorville areas. Most of my neighbors including myself are professionals with several who travel regularly. Some work in LA but live in my neighborhood and love the convenience of ONT.

I have a feeling people living in San Bernardino or Victorville will come out swinging to their defense just like you came out swinging regarding the I.E.. I'm in Orange County and we've had 909 jokes here for as long as I can remember. BGS91762 is not that far off. You and your neighbors maybe doing well in the I.E. but I have not heard of any positive views of the I.E. in the 20 years that I've lived in the OC. I have no statistics or numbers but I don't think its a stretch to say that Costal SoCal has a more negative view of the I.E. in general.

For International non stop flights, no question that I'll schlep to LAX but generally for domestic flights I'll use SNA. I've flown out of ONT once, and that was when JetBlue first started service to SoCal and ONT was their only destination. Now, with prices generally equal or cheaper at LAX or SNA, there really is no reason to schlep out to ONT and deal with the traffic. Airfares at ONT are going to have to come down dramatically before it becomes a true alternative for Costal SoCal. Even say a $20.00 each way savings is not enough to justify the drive to ONT when one can easily Uber/Lyft to SNA and avoid gas, traffic, parking which probably when calculating TOTAL COST from ones house back to their house, ONT most likely comes out at a disadvantage to SNA or LAX.

ScottB

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 pm

FX1816 wrote:
Look I get that you're an LAX "homer" but this hatred you have towards ONT is absolutely ridiculous. ONT is never going to compete with LAX and never has, however if ONT sees an increase in passenger count that is hardly going to put a dent in to LAX.

How exactly is it "hatred" to say that he thinks ONT's branding campaign would be more successful if they were to add the name of the region or its largest city? I don't think anyone is worried about ONT putting a dent in LAX; if anything, LAX might benefit if ONT saw more action as a reliever for LAX passenger traffic given how overburdened the terminal infrastructure is at LAX.

If anything, the hatred seems to flow more in the other direction; i.e. the accusations that LAWA mismanaged ONT and/or intentionally steered airlines away from ONT in favor of LAX. The fact is that the Inland Empire was hit far more severely by the 2008 downturn and still has not fully recovered, and that is a large part of why ONT's traffic still hasn't recovered. Another factor is the ongoing consolidation in the airline industry; the five largest carriers in the domestic market all have hubs or focus operations at LAX and as such they're less likely offer as much service to secondary airports in the region compared to the past.

grbauc wrote:
LAX use to be more then ONT / BUR and LAX and SNA were higher for most flights. SWA got more gate space at LAX and expanded all over the country so they run a lot small operation at ONT. Now the fares are higher then LAX and SNA.

I'd say the bigger factor in WN's reductions in service at ONT has been their ability to grow at SNA as other carriers reduced service. Back about 15 years ago, WN only had about a dozen slots at SNA. Now they've got over 50.

BGS91762

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Yes, I agree that very few people in OC have a positive opinion of the IE. However, it's surprising how when OC people move to the area they actually like it. I agree that living by the beach in OC is probably great, however, many of the other inland areas of OC are not that much different. I think the negative IE remarks are a them to justify paying the extreme housing prices in their areas. Also, I don't see why people want to put down ONT so much. I hope all the LA area airports are successful. It just happens that ONT is within the So Cal growth areas and should do fine future as a result.

32andBelow

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:26 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Beardown91737 wrote:
ONT is mostly concerned with being able to serve the local catchment area and drive an economic engine for the region. No one is trying to make anyone from Los Angeles drive to ONT to catch a plane. We just want to have our nice convenient airport and not bother with a drive to west BFE. We want our incoming travelers to have a nearby place to arrive, go to the business they need to go to, and stay in our hotels, etc, so they can miss the mess at LAX.

The OIAA will do some marketing campaigns to raise awareness for incoming passengers. I am sure that the "SoCal So easy" will be the marketing message outside of SoCal. It makes it an easier choice for travelers who have destinations further east.

32andBelow wrote:
Most people flying into LA want to go west or north or LA so you'll wind up driving past LAX, LBG, SNA, and BUR on your way to your final destination.

You would not drive past any of these. SNA is to the south, LGB is southwest and almost on the coast. LAX is in west BFE with nothing to the west but water, so you cannot drive past it unless your car floats. BUR maybe, but if that is where you are going, just book your trip to BUR.

LOL. Good points on the drive past the other Airports. Note however James Bonds car could swim.

Look at a map one tyne. LAX in on a curve and most of the good parts of LA are in fact west (I will concede a bit north then west)

AAlaxfan

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
Beardown91737 wrote:

Look at a map one tyne. LAX in on a curve and most of the good parts of LA are in fact west (I will concede a bit north then west)

What are the "good parts" of Los Angeles a "bit north then west" of LAX that you are talking about?
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

32andBelow

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

What are the "good parts" of Los Angeles a "bit north then west" of LAX that you are talking about?

Santa Monica, Brentwood, Malibu, etc.

AAlaxfan

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

And what makes those areas the good parts of LA?

32andBelow

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:

Where do you think the tourists of LA go? Simi valley? I mean we are basically talking about the visiting market since people that live near ONT already presumably use it.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 pm

For fun some here is demographic info for travelers at 4 SoCal airports as of 2015 per a LAWA report.

LAX
Average household income: $96,423
Average age: 45
Male/Female: 55/45
Adult college grad or more: 61%
Percent Business Travel: 36%
Residence by county: LA 61%, Orange 17%, San Bernardino 7%, Riverside 6%, Ventura 5%, Other 4%
Percent of catchment area traveled by air last 12-mos: 38%
Top travel dest: Bay Area, LAS, NYC, Far East, Hawaii

ONT
Average household income: $72,621
Male/Female: 47/53
Adult college grad or more: 39%
Percent Business Travel: 22%
Residence by county: San Bernardino 36%, LA 25%, Riverside 25%, Orange 10%, Other 4%
Percent of catchment area traveled by air last 12-mos: 16%
Top travel dest: LAS, PHX, Utah, Colorado, DC and Orlando

SNA
Average household income: $110,886
Average age: 47
Male/Female: 51/49
Adult college grad or more: 78%
Percent Business Travel: 39%
Residence by county: OC 62%, LA 19%, Riverside 8% San Bernardino 5%, San Diego 4%, other 2%
Percent of catchment area traveled by air last 12-mos: 46%
Top travel dest: Bay Area, LAS, PHX, Colorado, DC, Hawaii

SAN
Average household income: $90,947
Average age: 44
Male/Female: 49/51
Adult college grad or more: 56%
Percent Business Travel: 29%
Residence by county: Missing
Percent of catchment area traveled by air last 12-mos: 37%
Top travel dest: LAS, PHX, Bay Area, NYC, DC
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AAlaxfan

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:14 pm

32andBelow wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Where do you think the tourists of LA go? Simi valley? I mean we are basically talking about the visiting market since people that live near ONT already presumably use it.

What about Disney, Universal, Knotts, Hollywood, Downtown, Century City, Irvine. That's where the tourists and business people go. Beaches - Newport, Huntington, Laguna, Redondo ....etc.
Only areas convenient for LAX is Century City and the ones you mention. Disney, Knotts is closer to SNA, LGB & ONT. Hollywwod & Universal - BUR. Irvine - SNA. Downtown any. The beaches you can use SNA, LGB & LAX.
There's more to the LA area than Santa Monica and Malibu for people to see.

The draw to LAX is it's size. By having the number of airlines & flights it's able to offer the best pricing. Convenient it's not.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 pm

I'll have to dig up the list which was posted here in another thread, but of the 10 top visited destinations in LA basin for tourist all were easily accessed from LAX.
Only ones with closer alternate airports were Disneyland (SNA), Universal(BUR) and Queen Mary + downtown Long Beach(LGB).

ldvaviation

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:23 am

LAXintl wrote:

SNA
Residence by county: OC 62%, LA 19%, Riverside 8% San Bernardino 5%, San Diego 4%, other 2%

We're rich. Of course, that includes households making many multiples of the average.

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:09 am

LAXintl wrote:
For fun some here is demographic info for travelers at 4 SoCal airports as of 2015 per a LAWA report.

LAX
Residence by county: LA 61%, Orange 17%, San Bernardino 7%, Riverside 6%, Ventura 5%, Other 4%

ONT
Residence by county: San Bernardino 36%, LA 25%, Riverside 25%, Orange 10%, Other 4%

SNA

SAN

Boom! As I said, the IE is significantly poorer than the rest of the region (but the average house is still 340K) so residents don't have the disposable income to do a ton of traveling nor is there a large corporate presence that contributes business travelers.

There are Metrolink tracks directly across the street from the ONT terminals - I have never understood why ONT management and Metrolink never built an ONT Airport station. Add a train every 1/2 hour from LA Union Station and downtown Riverside and ONT suddenly becomes an attractive option for many more people. The I could possibly see foreign LCC''s like Norwegian flying to to ONT since it will have frequent, inexpensive, and stress-free ground connectivity.

BGS91762

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:24 am

usflyer msp wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

LAX

ONT

SNA

SAN

Boom! As I said, the IE is significantly poorer than the rest of the region (but the average house is still 340K) so residents don't have the disposable income to do a ton of traveling nor is there a large corporate presence that contributes business travelers.

There are Metrolink tracks directly across the street from the ONT terminals - I have never understood why ONT management and Metrolink never built an ONT Airport station. Add a train every 1/2 hour from LA Union Station and downtown Riverside and ONT suddenly becomes an attractive option for many more people. The I could possibly see foreign LCC''s like Norwegian flying to to ONT since it will have frequent, inexpensive, and stress-free ground connectivity.

Yes, we already are a $7 Uber Ride to Upland Station with frequent 1 hour Metrolink service to LA.

amadorE175

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:39 am

usflyer msp wrote:

The lines across the street from the airport aren't used by Metrolink services. Amtrak has a couple of once-daily services that use those tracks but, I think, the lines are primarily used for Union Pacific freight. Metrolink uses two other rail right of ways for their San Bernadino (to the airport's north) and Riverside Lines (to the airport's south) that are farther out from the airport. ONT sits directly between them so there's not really a terminal-adjacent station option for Metrolink.

LA Metro is currently constructing the Gold Line Foothill extension that terminates 8 miles from the airport. Unless San Bernadino county funds a further extension to ONT (and right now it looks like they won't and are looking for other airport connections more useful for SB county residents), the line won't be as useful for ONT travelers as it could be. I could see the more regular frequency of light-rail service being appealing (consistent 6- or 12-minute headways on the current Gold Line). You'd have more flexibility in catching the line and could Uber the last segment from Montclair to ONT. This is all academic anyway since the line won't be complete until 2026.

BGS91762 wrote:
Yes, we already are a $7 Uber Ride to Upland Station with frequent 1 hour Metrolink service to LA.

I was going to ask if people preferred the San Bernadino to the Riverside line but looking at the slender schedule for the Riverside line it's no question why you'd Uber from Upland Station. East Ontario (SB Line) on the south side of the airport near the FedEx and UPS buildings looks like it'd make for a shorter trip from station to airport. In any case, the Gold Line Extension is likely to be a lot more useful for travelers when it opens.

http://www.flyontario.com/parking-transport/charter-buses-vans

It's weird that ONT only provides a rather long list of phone numbers for bus and rail providers. There are no hyperlinks to each agency, no blurbs about best services, no highlighting Metrolink as a way to the airport. I may be writing the Authority about improving this.

ytib

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:18 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Is it really a sensible option for someone getting off an international flight to request an Uber/Lyft (and maybe have to set-up an account as well) so they can take it to a train station and wait upwards of an hour for a train to get to Union Station and then onward?

There are no reasonable air to train transfers in SoCal right now, but could ONT make changes to be the first and have that option. In DEN they added it recently and it is used by tourists and locals to get into the center city area and then onward if needed. Yes SoCal is really an area you need to have a car to truly get around but for people coming off a European LCC they would look at the rail option and it could help ONT set itself apart.

Rail is already a decent option in SEA, PDX, SFO, OAK, DEN, MSP, MDW, ORD, EWR, DCA, BOS, and ATL just to name a few
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

BGS91762

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:37 pm

I agree that LAX will always be the main airport for international visitors. Most airports in the world can't compete. I live 5 miles from Ontario and always fly internationally out of LAX taking Metrolink and flyaway. It's easy!!

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 pm

ytib wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Is it really a sensible option for someone getting off an international flight to request an Uber/Lyft (and maybe have to set-up an account as well) so they can take it to a train station and wait upwards of an hour for a train to get to Union Station and then onward?

There are no reasonable air to train transfers in SoCal right now, but could ONT make changes to be the first and have that option. In DEN they added it recently and it is used by tourists and locals to get into the center city area and then onward if needed. Yes SoCal is really an area you need to have a car to truly get around but for people coming off a European LCC they would look at the rail option and it could help ONT set itself apart.

Rail is already a decent option in SEA, PDX, SFO, OAK, DEN, MSP, MDW, ORD, EWR, DCA, BOS, and ATL just to name a few

I concur - it applies for domestic travellers as well. For rail to be attractive it needs to go directly to the airport or at least have a free shuttle like OAK/BWI. If I am going to have to request an Uber I might as well take it all the way to my destination.

BGS91762

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
ytib wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:

I concur - it applies for domestic travellers as well. For rail to be attractive it needs to go directly to the airport or at least have a free shuttle like OAK/BWI. If I am going to have to request an Uber I might as well take it all the way to my destination.
LAX also has a free shuttle from the Green Line Rail. I take that if I more time. Not as quick as flyaway tho.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:32 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
We're rich. Of course, that includes households making many multiples of the average.

Another way to look at the disparity is to compare per capita income for each airports city.

Per 2015 census (source city-data.com)

ONT - $19,788
LGB - $28,205
LAX - $30,136 (only City of LA), $44,651 (blended rate El Segundo-Inglewood-LA-Marina del Rey)
BUR - $37,650
SNA - $53,857 (blended rate Costa Mesa-Irvine-Newport Beach)

Obviously, per-capita income has a correlation with spending power and the propensity of travel by consumers.

ldvaviation

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:45 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
LA Metro is currently constructing the Gold Line Foothill extension that terminates 8 miles from the airport. Unless San Bernadino county funds a further extension to ONT (and right now it looks like they won't and are looking for other airport connections more useful for SB county residents), the line won't be as useful for ONT travelers as it could be. I could see the more regular frequency of light-rail service being appealing (consistent 6- or 12-minute headways on the current Gold Line). You'd have more flexibility in catching the line and could Uber the last segment from Montclair to ONT. This is all academic anyway since the line won't be complete until 2026.

By the time the adjacent counties in the larger LA metropolitain area get around to building light rail, the traffic patterns will already be well inscribed. And, those traffic patterns will tend to favor LAX, as LAX is intended to be a primary spoke of the whole LA mass transit system (centered at Union Station).

Take, for example, the North OC which is already well-connected via MetroLink to DTLA (Union Station). The most likely lines in the area are an extension of the Gold Line from Whittier and/or an extension of the Green Line from Norwalk. A Green Line connection would link the western part of North OC with LAX. If the OC extension of the Green Line were to intersect with the MetroLink network in Fullerton or Buena Park, it would also provide a link between LAX and Disneyland.

grbauc

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm

seat38a wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Fewer people - yes.
Very similar types of people however.

a) lower income people in service industry jobs
b) middle income people priced out owning in closer in areas. They spend an absurd percentage of their income on housing and transportation - not much left for leisure travel. They don't travel for work.

Where in the I.E. do you live? Because your perspective is very different from me who has lived in the western I.E. for 30 years. I agree on your perspective if you were talking the San Bernardino or Victorville areas. Most of my neighbors including myself are professionals with several who travel regularly. Some work in LA but live in my neighborhood and love the convenience of ONT.

I have a feeling people living in San Bernardino or Victorville will come out swinging to their defense just like you came out swinging regarding the I.E.. I'm in Orange County and we've had 909 jokes here for as long as I can remember. BGS91762 is not that far off. You and your neighbors maybe doing well in the I.E. but I have not heard of any positive views of the I.E. in the 20 years that I've lived in the OC. I have no statistics or numbers but I don't think its a stretch to say that Costal SoCal has a more negative view of the I.E. in general.

For International non stop flights, no question that I'll schlep to LAX but generally for domestic flights I'll use SNA. I've flown out of ONT once, and that was when JetBlue first started service to SoCal and ONT was their only destination. Now, with prices generally equal or cheaper at LAX or SNA, there really is no reason to schlep out to ONT and deal with the traffic. Airfares at ONT are going to have to come down dramatically before it becomes a true alternative for Costal SoCal. Even say a $20.00 each way savings is not enough to justify the drive to ONT when one can easily Uber/Lyft to SNA and avoid gas, traffic, parking which probably when calculating TOTAL COST from ones house back to their house, ONT most likely comes out at a disadvantage to SNA or LAX.

yep Ont was cheap at one time but no longer. Swa gets a slight premium at Ont now and flights are packed with the reduction. ONT Airport Get a clue the good old days are just that the good old days. Ont is set up to meet the current demand. In the past SWA made it there main airport and basically DeHubbed it to a focus city.

grbauc

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:34 pm

LAXintl wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:

Another way to look at the disparity is to compare per capita income for each airports city.

Per 2015 census (source city-data.com)

ONT - $19,788
LGB - $28,205
LAX - $30,136 (only City of LA), $44,651 (blended rate El Segundo-Inglewood-LA-Marina del Rey)
BUR - $37,650
SNA - $53,857 (blended rate Costa Mesa-Irvine-Newport Beach)

Obviously, per-capita income has a correlation with spending power and the propensity of travel by consumers.

This tells the story of Why SWA Uses LAX and SNA and now more flights at LGB. The GLORY days for the Swa effect at Ont are over and Swa has moved and right sized in there minds to the demand. The frustration I hear a lot from business flyers is that there times on flight keep changing every season and that there is a long time wait between the Noon flights next flight 12-1pm to 5-7pm so they head to SNA or a few to LAX.

metaldirtnskin

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
What about Disney, Universal, Knotts, Hollywood, Downtown, Century City, Irvine. That's where the tourists and business people go. Beaches - Newport, Huntington, Laguna, Redondo ....etc.
Only areas convenient for LAX is Century City and the ones you mention. Disney, Knotts is closer to SNA, LGB & ONT. Hollywwod & Universal - BUR. Irvine - SNA. Downtown any. The beaches you can use SNA, LGB & LAX.

The draw to LAX is it's size. By having the number of airlines & flights it's able to offer the best pricing. Convenient it's not.

This is what it boils down to for me. Plus, there are business interests spread out all over the area that will pull in travelers. Between 2016 and 2017 I think I have made 15-20 trips to different business clients in the LA metro area, and over half of them were in places like El Monte, Rosemead, other locations west of the city proper. Most of the rest were Orange County; rarely anywhere near the city center.

Not for lack of trying, I always ended up using LAX (occasionally SNA) but only because the selection of flights is better, at least coming from the Northwest where AS is my preferred airline. If I could have gotten the schedules and carriers I wanted at ONT, I would have jumped on it, because it sure beats fighting your way across the entire LA basin to get to and from LAX.

metaldirtnskin

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 pm

As an aside, it seems like ONT is a popular location for filmmakers when they need a stand-in for LAX or another larger airport. If you have seen the film Zodiac, the final scene takes place at ONT, and in the commentary track the director said "I think this is the first time in movie history that the Ontario airport has been depicted as the Ontario airport." :lol:

BGS91762

Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Yes most times you see an airport on TVor in a movie it's usually ONT. They even have an old 727 to use as a stand in.

panampreflight

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 pm

UALFAson wrote:
While I agree with your commentary, at some point the airport authority has to accept that they're stuck trying to put lipstick on a pig. As a former Angeleno, I can't see ONT ever becoming a viable alternative for leisure travelers heading to SoCal tourist attractions due to its distance and commute time in traffic. I think they would be better off marketing to local folks in San Bernardino, Riverside, and along the I-15 corridor to consider ONT as an alternative to LAX, SNA, or SAN.

Absolutely!.

panampreflight

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:46 pm

metaldirtnskin wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:

This is what it boils down to for me. Plus, there are business interests spread out all over the area that will pull in travelers. Between 2016 and 2017 I think I have made 15-20 trips to different business clients in the LA metro area, and over half of them were in places like El Monte, Rosemead, other locations west of the city proper. Most of the rest were Orange County; rarely anywhere near the city center.

Not for lack of trying, I always ended up using LAX (occasionally SNA) but only because the selection of flights is better, at least coming from the Northwest where AS is my preferred airline. If I could have gotten the schedules and carriers I wanted at ONT, I would have jumped on it, because it sure beats fighting your way across the entire LA basin to get to and from LAX.

This is the Paris Hilton version of flying. ONT is great for business people to get to the huge warehouses and the massive business of companies in the Inland Empire. Also Palm Springs, god who want to go to LAX if ya gotta get to the inland Empire, lol.

CobaltScar

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:55 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
ONT has nothing around it except alot of middle and low-income people that moved from LA because it was too expensive (and meth).
If ONT was in NorCal it would be the equivalent of Stockton SCK not OAK or SJC...

Hmmmm ok I changed my mind about LGB. B6 needs to make it work somehow haha.

MrBretz

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:05 pm

I must admit, I have only flown into ONT a few times in my life. And I had to make it into Southern Orange County most of the times. The traffic is almost always awful in either direction. I must add ONT can be nice if it is a clear day. You can see the mountains. Sadly, it is usually not that way out there. Today, the air quality is unhealthful for everyone. And I can't forget the time I landed there during the day and all of a sudden I noticed the plane was above a yellow/brown cloud/haze layer below me. You couldn't see the ground. If you look at the Los Angeles basin air quality maps, that particular area usually has the worse air quality in the basin. If it doesn't bother you, forget my comment.

mariner

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:51 am

32andBelow wrote:
They made a fatal mistake by putting the airport in Ontario

Bizarre amount of ONT-bashing in this thread. You don't have to fly there, it isn't a law, but why dump on the airport for advertising itself?

I haven't flown into ONT in a while, but I remember it as a decent airport and preferable to LGB.

mariner
aeternum nauta

BGS91762

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 am

mariner wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Bizarre amount of ONT-bashing in this thread. You don't have to fly there, it isn't a law, but why dump on the airport for advertising itself?

I haven't flown into ONT in a while, but I remember it as a decent airport and preferable to LGB.

mariner

Yes it is very surprising. This airport is great for those in the I.E. and eastern LA county. It will never be LAX and I don't think anybody expects it too be. However, with the explosive growth in the eastern edges of greater LA I don't think we need to justify its existence or success.

BGS91762

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:36 am

usflyer msp wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:
Add to that market the people of eastern LA and north Orange counties. These are the people that don't want to cross the LA basin to get to LAX. For them a flight out of ONT would be the better choice if frequency and price were close. I've lived in this area for the past 46 years and have flown out of LAX, ONT, & LGB and would much rather go to ONT than the other 2.

That's quite a generalization. At least from the western part of North OC, there are more freeways to and from LAX than to and from ONT.

I concur. My uncle lives in Yorba Linda and his order of preference is SNA, LGB, LAX, then ONT. He says the traffic is just as bad to ONT as LAX but least LAX has a wider variety of flights and usually the cheapest.

This is no way true unless your taking a flight in the late afternoon. I lived in Fullerton for many years and could get to Ontario to catch my weekly Monday morning flight to the Bay Area in 25 minutes. Days I had to fly out of LAX on a Monday morning it was 90 minutes to 2 hours. Even John Wayne took longer than getting to ONT because of bad traffic on the 91 and 55 Freeways,

NickLAX

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:11 am

I'm 10 miles from SNA, 40+ to both ONT and LAX. I'll take LAX for nonstops and Intl over SNA most of the time, I'll plan my LAX in/out timing to avoid traffic and can get to LAX in 45-50 min. SAVES a 1hr 30 connection somewhere plus longer flight times. E.g. do this often to AUS, IND, YYZ, BOS where the connection even through closer SNA is a much longer travel day with a risk to make it worse with connection issues due to weather/mx, etc. Big caveat: Pick an LAX flight at 8AM or later and leave my house at 5:30AM or later and all bests are off - it's 2 hours sometimes to LAX. If I'm going to LAX in the AM I need to be on the road from 4:30 AM - 4:45AM latest.

I've now started using ONT as a backup for my EARLY AM bay area runs, out of SNA it's runway open at 7AM which means earliest into a meeting in the Bay Area is 9AM or later, not good if it's an early start meeting. Out of ONT I can catch a 5:50AM WN flight to SJC. Takes me under 40 mins to get to ONT and I avoid the need to get in the night before. Trying the same out of LAX is 50 min easy run to LAX at 4AM but the RETURN into LAX at 5PM or later is 1hr 50 - 2hr 20min to get home. Land at ONT at 5PM and it's 50 mins for me to get home.

All of the LA area airports play their part, there is no one size fits all on one being worse or best.
Last edited by NickLAX on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

seat38a

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:15 am

BGS91762 wrote:
mariner wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

mariner

Yes it is very surprising. This airport is great for those in the I.E. and eastern LA county. It will never be LAX and I don't think anybody expects it too be. However, with the explosive growth in the eastern edges of greater LA I don't think we need to justify its existence or success.

Were not bashing it more like throwing cold ice water on some peoples delusions regarding ONT and the IE. IE is ok when the economy is great but as soon as the economy takes a dump, IE turns into a wasteland. I hear this during every up and down economic cycle. "It's the fastest growing blah blah blah. ONT is going to be blah blah blah. Possible flights to China etc etc" and as soon as the economy sours a little then the headlines change to: "Massive foreclosure. JOB losses mounting. Meth use rising blah blah blah." The story never changes, just repeats about every 10-20 year.

FX1816

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:41 am

seat38a wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:
mariner wrote:

mariner

Were not bashing it more like throwing cold ice water on some peoples delusions regarding ONT and the IE. IE is ok when the economy is great but as soon as the economy takes a dump, IE turns into a wasteland. I hear this during every up and down economic cycle. "It's the fastest growing blah blah blah. ONT is going to be blah blah blah. Possible flights to China etc etc" and as soon as the economy sours a little then the headlines change to: "Massive foreclosure. JOB losses mounting. Meth use rising blah blah blah." The story never changes, just repeats about every 10-20 year.

Not sure I see where anyone on here speaking positive about ONT has any delusions about ONT's potential. If anything this has been about some people hoping for ONT to fail and for no known reasons. Don't like the airport don't use, PERIOD. Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend.

ldvaviation

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:58 am

BGS91762 wrote:
This is no way true unless your taking a flight in the late afternoon. I lived in Fullerton for many years and could get to Ontario to catch my weekly Monday morning flight to the Bay Area in 25 minutes. Days I had to fly out of LAX on a Monday morning it was 90 minutes to 2 hours. Even John Wayne took longer than getting to ONT because of bad traffic on the 91 and 55 Freeways,

25 minutes to Ontario? I doubt that. To be sure, I just mapped it from an address in west Fullerton (furthest point from the 57). Under light traffic conditions, it takes 40 minutes.

Under similar traffic conditions, it takes 41 minutes to get to LAX from west Fullerton.

I also doubt that SNA takes longer than 90 minutes to 2 hours from Fullerton even in the morning. I have driven that route (with very bad traffic). It took me about an hour to get to SNA.

BGS91762

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:44 am

ldvaviation wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:

25 minutes to Ontario? I doubt that. To be sure, I just mapped it from an address in west Fullerton (furthest point from the 57). Under light traffic conditions, it takes 40 minutes.

Under similar traffic conditions, it takes 41 minutes to get to LAX from west Fullerton.

I also doubt that SNA takes longer than 90 minutes to 2 hours from Fullerton even in the morning. I have driven that route (with very bad traffic). It took me about an hour to get to SNA.

I lived right off the 57 and yes I would regularly make it to ONT in 30 minutes or less. In case you don't know freeway speeds are fast in So cal. It wasn't 90 minutes to SNA, bur around 40 minutes to my house. Almost always longer than getting to ONT. 90 minutes to 2 hours was from LAX. Ontario parking was much cheaper than SNA too.

BGS91762

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:49 am

seat38a wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:
mariner wrote:

mariner

Thanks I think we are clear on your opinion of the I.E. Hope you are happy where you live. That's all that matters.

mariner

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:53 am

seat38a wrote:

It sure reads like bashing to me and I'm on the other side of the world - LOL.

But if ONT is what you say it is, why do you care? It's future is laid out - by you - and you say that nothing can be done to change it. I remember that once upon a time most of A.net thought much the same about Frankfurt-Hahn - those that had heard of Frankfurt-Hahn - and then Ryanair set up shop there and upset a whole lot of a.netters.

I'm not saying they same will happen at ONT, but it does have, I think, some untapped potential.

mariner
aeternum nauta

seat38a

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:38 pm

mariner wrote:
seat38a wrote:

It sure reads like bashing to me and I'm on the other side of the world - LOL.

But if ONT is what you say it is, why do you care? It's future is laid out - by you - and you say that nothing can be done to change it. I remember that once upon a time most of A.net thought much the same about Frankfurt-Hahn - those that had heard of Frankfurt-Hahn - and then Ryanair set up shop there and upset a whole lot of a.netters.

I'm not saying they same will happen at ONT, but it does have, I think, some untapped potential.

mariner

If reality and history is bashing then ok I'M BASHING. I have no idea nor do I care what happened at Frankfurt-Hahn since I have no reference or experience with the subject to make to agree or disagree.

VC10er

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:14 pm

I used to consider myself a savvy, and reasonably knowledgeable person- but I guess not. I had no idea LA had an airport called Ontario!!! Learn something new everyday- and I thought NEW YORK/NEWARK was confusing to much of the world's population!
As a branding and design professional I shall give my professional opinion of the logo: it is truly AWFUL. It couldn't be more generic. Any airport of any name could use blue, san-serif type, with a flying wave a clip art airplane at the end of it. It does absolutely nothing other than communicate "airport" (full stop)
The goal of branding (which is the visual expression) is to create a separation from others, aka: differentiated. And is best when it highlights the specialness of the particular airport. I firmly believe (love it or hate it) the airport branding GIG did a couple of years ago was perfect. It captured the essence of the city it served. The energy and excitement of Rio, as well as the mountains and beaches etc. Some may think it's too much but there is no mistaking it for GRU, EZE or even SDU.
I bet the FA must always make the famous announcement on a flight destined for ONT "if Ontario CANADA is in your flight plans today, get off now!"
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

BGS91762

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:09 pm

VC10er wrote:
I used to consider myself a savvy, and reasonably knowledgeable person- but I guess not. I had no idea LA had an airport called Ontario!!! Learn something new everyday- and I thought NEW YORK/NEWARK was confusing to much of the world's population!
As a branding and design professional I shall give my professional opinion of the logo: it is truly AWFUL. It couldn't be more generic. Any airport of any name could use blue, san-serif type, with a flying wave a clip art airplane at the end of it. It does absolutely nothing other than communicate "airport" (full stop)
The goal of branding (which is the visual expression) is to create a separation from others, aka: differentiated. And is best when it highlights the specialness of the particular airport. I firmly believe (love it or hate it) the airport branding GIG did a couple of years ago was perfect. It captured the essence of the city it served. The energy and excitement of Rio, as well as the mountains and beaches etc. Some may think it's too much but there is no mistaking it for GRU, EZE or even SDU.
I bet the FA must always make the famous announcement on a flight destined for ONT "if Ontario CANADA is in your flight plans today, get off now!"

Yes it is surprising how dumb people are regarding geography. I once told a AA ticket agent when she wanted to see my passport that Ontario Canada is a province that is over 1500 miles long. She looked at me dumbfounded. Always surprising me on the low educational levels in the US.

ldvaviation

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:14 pm

BGS91762 wrote:
I lived right off the 57 and yes I would regularly make it to ONT in 30 minutes or less. In case you don't know freeway speeds are fast in So cal. It wasn't 90 minutes to SNA, bur around 40 minutes to my house. Almost always longer than getting to ONT. 90 minutes to 2 hours was from LAX. Ontario parking was much cheaper than SNA too.

I live in Orange County.

I continue to doubt the travel times you have reported.

MrBretz

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:38 pm

I just looked at maps.google. From the 57 in Fullerton(using the Marriott on Nutwood), it is about 18 miles to SNA. It is about 30 miles to ONT. Right this instant on Sunday morning, it is a just under 20 minute drive to SNA and just over 30 minute drive to ONT. And all that live here know these are the best times achieveable. It's Sunday AM.

I guess going to ONT might take less time during a busy period. I think it may be against the general flow of traffic. I really have no idea since I live in South OC.

ldvaviation

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm

MrBretz wrote:
I just looked at maps.google. From the 57 in Fullerton(using the Marriott on Nutwood), it is about 18 miles to SNA. It is about 30 miles to ONT. Right this instant on Sunday morning, it is a just under 20 minute drive to SNA and just over 30 minute drive to ONT. And all that live here know these are the best times achieveable. It's Sunday AM.

I guess going to ONT might take less time during a busy period. I think it may be against the general flow of traffic. I really have no idea since I live in South OC.

There's almost nowhere in So Cal where one is against the general flow of traffic anymore. I used to think I could leave OC and get to Palm Springs in an hour and 30 minutes if I left by 12pm. Apparently, everyone else now has the same idea.

AAlaxfan

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:25 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:

I live in Orange County.

I too live in Orange County. In fact, Brea. Those travel times seem right. Off peak(11:00am-2:00pm), no carpool lane, it takes 25 minutes to ONT, 35-40 to SNA and 1 hour to LAX. I've driven each route. Traffic delays at the 57/60 merge to ONT, between Imperial Highway and the 91 on the 57 plus the 57/5 & 5/55 interchanges to SNA and the 57/91, 91/605, 105/710, 105/110 interchanges going to LAX are all normal occurrences.

BGS91762

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:28 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
BGS91762 wrote:

I live in Orange County.

That's nice but I did it for years. To make you happy it maybe took 35 minutes tops. Are you offended that parts of OC are that close to Ontario.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos