BelAviaFan
Topic Author

Delta Air Lines will seasonally stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Delta Air Lines will stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September, Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO) and the airline’s country manager told TASS on Thursday. The airline…

http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/delta-a ... september/
Last edited by BelAviaFan on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

WesternA318

Re: Delta Air Lines will stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Well, it IS a seasonal flight...

LAXintl

Re: Delta Air Lines will stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Its regular seasonal suspension.

Was posted in OAG threads many moons ago.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

1337Delta764

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:52 pm

The article says DL plans to resume flights in May 2018, but is contradicted by the statement that DL plans to announce its plans for Summer 2018 in October.
Last edited by 1337Delta764 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

MalevTU134

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Am I missing something here? Wasn't this flight always supposed to be seasonal?

BelAviaFan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Its regular seasonal suspension.

Was posted in OAG threads many moons ago.

I see the site already changed the title! (So did I in this topic)
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

Cointrin330

Re: Delta Air Lines will seasonally stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 am

JFK-SVO has been seasonal since it was reinstated last year. Not much demand for travel to Russia beyond VFR. It would not surprise me if DL eventually axes it permanently.

chepos

Re: Delta Air Lines will seasonally stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:19 am

I'm surprised they still fly this route.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:45 am

Hasn't just about every US carrier at one time tried the different airports in Moscow...and all have pulled out except for DL? So either everyone else saw better opportunities for the aircraft or DL hit a goldmine...I think its the former rather than the latter.

TWA902fly

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:21 am

727200 wrote:
Hasn't just about every US carrier at one time tried the different airports in Moscow...and all have pulled out except for DL? So either everyone else saw better opportunities for the aircraft or DL hit a goldmine...I think its the former rather than the latter.

AA tried it from ORD, and UA tried it from IAD.

DL has the advantage of being in SkyTeam with Aeroflot, so there's a bit extra feed on the SVO side. But as someone else mentioned, mostly VFR. Then again, SU flies SVO-JFK 3x/daily so I'm sure DL could put passengers on their flights if they really needed to.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

drdisque

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am

Yeah, DL pulled the route seasonally last winter as well. With SU 3x on it, DL doesn't really need to fly it on their own metal when it's nearly empty and those that are on board are paying rock-bottom fares.

adambrau

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 am

Delta did inherit the Pan Am Russian route authorities in 1991 so technically it has had a historical imprint plus a Sky Team home member. At that time Pan Am flew a 747 nonstop from JFK to SVO, and over the years until the FRA hub was shut down there were a few weekly flights FRA-WAW-LED, FRA-SVO-LED, and I believe even FRA-PRG-LED or SVO on DL727's. Russia is actually a beautiful winter destination but these days who in their right mind would want to go. The 755 State Department expulsions won't help what little demand there was either. I am sure travel will pick up again but it could be a while!
Let's keep the skies friendly.

panamair

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 am

This is not really news, as this upcoming winter will already be the third winter seasonal suspension. Flight was suspended starting winter 2015-16, then again winter 2016-17. The big drivers at the time for the initial seasonal suspension included the crash of the Russian economy in 2015 (low oil prices, fall of the rouble) as well as sanctions imposed around 2014-15 due to the Crimea/Ukraine crisis.

Cointrin330

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 am

I don't think many people outside VFR are beating a path to travel to Russia. That's not likely to change any time soon.

lesfalls

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 am

SU just upped JFK-SVO from 2x to 3x daily so that could explain the reason for there being no need for DL to operate the route. Rumor is also going around too that another Russian carrier has gotten rights to fly to JFK and should be announcing service soon.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr. (Only a little more)

ScottB

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am

lesfalls wrote:
SU just upped JFK-SVO from 2x to 3x daily so that could explain the reason for there being no need for DL to operate the route.

Or maybe Baltia is about to start service...

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:33 pm

This is big news about nothing.

Always seasonally planned. Been that way for a while.

Delta has flow this route for close to 30 years...I think it will stick around for a while

jnev3289

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 pm

ScottB wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
SU just upped JFK-SVO from 2x to 3x daily so that could explain the reason for there being no need for DL to operate the route.

Winner. DL couldn't compete with them

MalevTU134

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 pm

ScottB wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Baltia are already on the route. They just fly it seasonally. They will announce shortly when they will restart the flights for the new season...kind of

SFO2SVO

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Things were not always that gloomy: I remember times when there were 2 daily DL flights: JFK and ATL.
And being op-up'ed twice due to oversold Y. Well, I guess, me being DL gold and getting upgrade tells how elite-light is the route...
318-19-20-21 332 343 717 727 737-234578 743-4 752 763 772 D9/10 M11/8x/90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 SF340 E120 TU34/54 IL18/62/86/9

9w748capt

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Completely off topic but no one flies JFK-LED, correct? Moscow is difficult enough a market as it is, I can't imagine St Pete would be doable. Beautiful city though.

WesternA318

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
I don't think many people outside VFR are beating a path to travel to Russia. That's not likely to change any time soon.

You'd be surprised, I book a LOT of people from the West Coast to Russia for the River Cruises and Rail journeys. Granted, not enough to warrant daily service, but 20-30 couples a month is NOT bad...

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 am

Cointrin330 wrote:

Doesn't help that it's difficult to get a visa if you don't have family or significant business ties.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

cedarjet

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 am

Russian visa is easy, I got a double entry visa for London - Moscow - Baikonour (manned Soyuz launch) - Moscow - London in summer 2017. Drop off took ten minutes with no issues, pick up a week later took fifteen minutes including a brief evacuation of the building due to a defective smoke alert! And Russia is a great country.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Aeroflot777

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 am

cedarjet wrote:
Drop off took ten minutes with no issues, pick up a week later took fifteen minutes

Yup, sounds about right!

LAX772LR wrote:
Doesn't help that it's difficult to get a visa if you don't have family or significant business ties.

Extremely common misconception. Last summer, a few American friends went with me to explore Russia for a week. Super easy process, everything was done by mail within 5 days. Unlimited, multiple entry visa issued with validity for 3 years. No family or business ties needed whatsoever.

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Extremely common misconception. Last summer, a few American friends went with me to explore Russia for a week. Super easy process, everything was done by mail within 5 days. Unlimited, multiple entry visa issued with validity for 3 years. No family or business ties needed whatsoever.

Lemme guess: you're white....

Try it as someone who's not, and tell me how easy it is.

777Mech

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Aeroflot777 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

As an African American, the process for a Russian visa took slightly longer than the samples above, 2 or 3 days later. I had no problem at all.

I've never seen a post so exceptionally ignorant on this site. That's saying a lot too.

Caryjack

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 am

BelAviaFan wrote:
Delta Air Lines will stop flights between the United States and Russia in early September, Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO) and the airline’s country manager told TASS on Thursday. The airline…

http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/delta-a ... september/

From your link:
Russia’s Aeroflot and Delta Air Lines are the only air carriers performing flights between the United States and Russia now.

....and Delta cancels?? Is this a joke?? Are you saying that Nicaragua has more non stop service to the US then Russia?
I'm sure I miss read your post. :?

Ryanair01

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm

727200 wrote:

The route has been operating for 30 years and is one purchased from Pan Am http://www.panam-world.org/moscow-base- ... ionrussia/ with Delta flying it since 1991, making them the long established US carrier in Russia. Others have come and gone as Delta and their alliance partner Aeroflot have beaten them all off to maintain a comfortable oligopoly.

There used to be a reasonable amount of high yield State Department Traffic headed for DC, plus financial industry and also UN passengers to NYC who'd pay for a direct flight. I don't know anymore. I suspect sanctions have hit a lot of that hence the move to seasonal. Low yield traffic has lots of transit options through Western Europe.

Now Delta puts their passengers on their partner's flight during the winter, but adds their own capacity in during the summer rush. It's a fairly standard alliance based arrangement.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm

777Mech wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Aeroflot777 wrote:

As an African American, the process for a Russian visa took slightly longer than the samples above, 2 or 3 days later. I had no problem at all.

I've never seen a post so exceptionally ignorant on this site. That's saying a lot too.

Thanks for the info 777Mech.

I couldn't agree more with your last point.

Varsity1

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:38 pm

I applied for a Russian Visa in 2016 and it was the most difficult (and expensive) so far for me. In the end the visa alone cost about $400. Doesn't account for the risk of requiring all your travel to be booked prior to receiving your visa.

The country is crooked as hell. Once was enough for me.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm

777Mech wrote:

Well bully for you, though mine and those I know have experienced the complete opposite... so guess we'll just have to let anecdotal references be just that, now won't we?

Bjm0517

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Not suprised :roll: DL has ties with SkyTeam to Aeroflot, a big Russian carrier. Honostly, they don’ t need this route in the first place. Just needed a code share with Aeroflot on the routes.

IPFreely

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:

I don't think it's very common, I think we have a poster posting about something he knows nothing about.

I had a business trip to Russia scheduled a couple of years ago. It ultimately got cancelled but not before I applied for and received a visa. I have a friend who also went to Russia as a tourist maybe ten years ago. Getting a Russian visa was a bureaucratic process which means by definition it's annoying and inefficient. I guess some could call that difficult. But as far as whether it is difficult to actually get a visa? That's nonsense. Read the instructions, apply and pay properly, and you get a visa -- no problems at all.

777Mech

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Well bully for you, though mine and those I know have experienced the complete opposite... so guess we'll just have to let anecdotal references be just that, now won't we?

Anecdotal? Your comment implies that Russia only gives people of color a hard time getting a visa when that is not the case, and you just assumed the poster was white and therefore got a free pass.

Russia, just like other countries, has a not so efficient way of getting visas. It took me longer to get my Brazilian visa, so by your logic the Brazilians are now racists. Give me a break.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 am

777Mech wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Russia, just like other countries, has a not so efficient way of getting visas. It took me longer to get my Brazilian visa, so by your logic the Brazilians are now racists. Give me a break.

With a conclusions like that, the likes of you are certainly in no position to be admonishing anyone else on grounds of "logic." :roll:

LupineChemist

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 am

Also, nobody seems to have mentioned oil. Doubtful it's a coincidence that the winter flying was cut as soon as oil prices crashed in 2014-2015.

usdcaguy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 am

It’s quite sad the economy and business climate promised in the early 90’s never materialized for Americans. There was a lot of investment at the time, but I believe much of it eventually evaporated due to corruption. Nobody really does business in Russia anymore unless they’ve a very important, iconic company. Still too much risk with a dictator in office and various political tensions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos