Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR

Re: Hurricane Harvey and Houston airports

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 am

United1 wrote:
MSY itself was rather totaled by Katrina to the point they needed to rebuild parts of the terminal.

No it didn't. Katrina barely touched MSY airport, other than general wind-damage to the roof.

A Tornado hit the international concourse a few months after the storm, which wrecked that part of the terminal and FIS area, exacerbated some of the temporary repairs, and impeded the rebuilding process. That's probably what you're thinking of.

Indy wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
I am just saying that I don't think we should be making comparisons to Katrina, MSY and New Orleans are below sea level, IAH and Houston isn't.

Flooding is flooding. Doesn't matter if it happens because you are below sea level, along the Mississippi River, or just sitting in what amounts to a giant bowl. The only thing that matters is that there is a flood and this will last for days.

You just defeated your own point.

Indeed, this flooding will last for days..... not MONTHS, like when the area is below sea level, when the water doesn't go anywhere until you force it to.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:32 am

LAX772LR wrote:
United1 wrote:
MSY itself was rather totaled by Katrina to the point they needed to rebuild parts of the terminal.

No it didn't.

Katrina barely touched MSY airport. A Tornado hit concourse C shortly after the storm, that wrecked that part of the terminal area, and impeded the rescue process.

You are arguing semantics....MSY took lots of damage from Katrina.

Whether it was from winds/flooding/tornado is irrelevant...it happened during Katrina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb_Rkt_yzc
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 am

LAX772LR wrote:
United1 wrote:

Indy wrote:
Flooding is flooding. Doesn't matter if it happens because you are below sea level, along the Mississippi River, or just sitting in what amounts to a giant bowl. The only thing that matters is that there is a flood and this will last for days.

Indeed, this flooding will last for days..... not MONTHS, like when the area is below sea level, when the water doesn't go anywhere until you force it to.

LGA was flooded much like HOU was and reopened about 72 hours later....while I'm not trying to minimize anything that is happening in Houston it will not take months to reopen HOU or IAH.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/3 ... y/260330/0
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

ikramerica

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:41 am

AR385 wrote:
A few posters are in hysterics apparently and writing total hysterical nonsense. It´s irritating and I wish they´d stop. Houston is not new to this kind of stuff. It was built on Bayous, and guess what happens when a storm hits? The city floods. The good thing is that the Bayous naturally flow into the Gulf of Mexico so the water is not going to stay for days as in other places. I lived in Houston during Alison and while not a Harvey, it was a very similar situation. And almost everything was back to normal within 2 weeks.

How dare you state the truth! Hysteria rules the country these days.

It will be worse than Alison in places but Houston doesn't take months to recover, as a whole. Pockets will be devastated but the city will go on.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

alggag

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 am

I'm surprised that WN had decided to leave some planes in place at HOU but am equally impressed that they managed to fly a few of them out at least.

Wonder if they actually took off from a full runway or made the decision to make do with a taxiway or something.

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 am

United1 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
United1 wrote:

LGA was flooded much like HOU was and reopened about 72 hours later....while I'm not trying to minimize anything that is happening in Houston it will not take months to reopen HOU or IAH.

Not exactly, we don't know the extent of the flooding at HOU other than the images of the runway submurged... IAH, on the other hand, may have fared better, however it is WAY too early to make definitive statements on what the effects are because the storm has yet to pass.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 am

United1 wrote:

Whether it was from winds/flooding/tornado is irrelevant...it happened during Katrina.

I love how you're attempting to use Youtube to show me something that I lived and worked through personally. :roll:

Again, superficial wind damage aside, Katrina's damage to MSY was comparative minimal-- hence it being used as the staging ground.
The major damage that you're recalling took place in a storm that happened nearly half a year later.

United1 wrote:
it will not take months to reopen HOU or IAH.

No one's saying it will. The reference was to eastern New Orleans, not Houston.

atl100million

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 am

Midwestindy wrote:
United1 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Not exactly, we don't know the extent of the flooding at HOU other than the images of the runway submurged... IAH, on the other hand, may have fared better, however it is WAY too early to make definitive statements on what the effects are because the storm has yet to pass.

more significantly, and has been repeatedly noted, the issue is not how fast the airports can be reopened but how quickly the region can reopen and support the level of business travel that is necessary to support the current level of two large airline operations at two airports.

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:54 am

If HOU remains closed for an extended period, it will be interesting to see what airports benefit therefrom.

WN used the planes that flew MSY's ~61ish daily flights in 2005, to essentially turbocharge their DEN growth.

I'm guessing that (again, assuming HOU stays closed for long), many of these will be repositioned for more West Coast to Florida nonstop travel, where HOU was used as a 1stop connector between flows?

c933103

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:00 am

LAX772LR wrote:
If HOU remains closed for an extended period, it will be interesting to see what airports benefit therefrom.

WN used the planes that flew MSY's ~61ish daily flights in 2005, to essentially turbocharge their DEN growth.

I'm guessing that (again, assuming HOU stays closed for long), many of these will be repositioned for more West Coast to Florida nonstop travel, where HOU was used as a 1stop connector between flows?

Wouldn't it make sense to merge all the operations into DFW, assuming DFW operation can be resumed at relative ease, or use other nearby airports?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:02 am

The UA 77W just pushed and is heading back to ORD....

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 am

LAX772LR wrote:
United1 wrote:

I love how you're attempting to use Youtube to show me something that I lived and worked through personally. :roll:

Again, superficial wind damage aside, Katrina's damage to MSY was comparative minimal-- hence it being used as the staging ground.
The major damage that you're recalling took place in a storm that happened nearly half a year later.

United1 wrote:
it will not take months to reopen HOU or IAH.

No one's saying it will. The reference was to eastern New Orleans, not Houston.

No need to be rude....

WWads

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:07 am

c933103 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense to merge all the operations into DFW, assuming DFW operation can be resumed at relative ease, or use other nearby airports?

Not sure I understand. If we're talking WN, they have DAL, but that airport is maxed out. DFW is pretty much full too, certainly not enough space to pick up the slack for IAH/HOU.

UA is most likely going to have to do without IAH as a hub for a few weeks. For them, that means more ops at their nearest hubs (ORD, DEN, IAD). We could see a lot of IAH-only regional airports getting temporary flights to other hubs, and increased mainline flying, especially at ORD. I could see a lot of UA outstations shutting as well, with passengers being redirected to larger nearby airports, with larger planes picking up the slack.

To demonstrate what I'm saying in Louisiana, I could see the UA stations at BTR, LFT, LCH, AEX, and MLU closing, with passengers being rebooked out of MSY and SHV. SHV would see close to all mainline, and MSY would see up-gauging to larger mainline equipment. Less than ideal, but people still need to fly.
Last edited by WWads on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

c933103 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

If you're referring to WN, then I don't understand how this could be a solution, since they don't even serve that airport.

United1 wrote:
No need to be rude....

I'm not, I'm simply informing you that your recollection of history is incorrect.

iahcsr

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:18 am

United1 wrote:
WWads wrote:
jayunited wrote:

You are correct a few commercial flights are leaving IAH but UA has already canceled the rest of today' s and all of tomorrow morning scheduled flights out of IAH. This information is coming directly from EOC (Emergency Operations Center) here at Willis Tower. For the past few days the EOC has been operational and Oscar and his entire time of executives have been in the building overseeing and coordinating with UA airport operations, IAH operations, the FAA, and Houston local agencies to make sure they have the most up to date information. I believe some of the executives have just left for the day but will be back here early tomorrow morning. There may be a few more flights leaving IAH but at it stands right now UA has canceled 448 mainline flights on today (Sunday), and we have canceled 565 UAX flights these numbers do not include Monday's cancellations. Perhaps my earlier comments were posted to soon but the decision has been made to close IAH for now until Monday afternoon at 12pm. We do have a few flights heading to IAH with emergency supplies and employees UA is sending a 773ER from ORD UA2761 scheduled to leave ORD at 1500 with emergency supplies and employees that aircraft will then return to ORD the plan is take any stranded passengers at IAH and to move any left over baggage whose final destination isn't IAH or southeast Texas.

Thanks for the inside info. Much appreciated.

UA2761 is a little over an hour out of IAH...its slated to park at C7 which is furthest gate you can see at the end of the new C pier.

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/housto ... stream.php

UA2761 is ORD IAH ORD.... and it just pushed off C7 with 315 passengers boarded. :bouncy:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

c933103

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:20 am

Correction: I mean merge to IAH instead of DFW.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

WWads

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:21 am

iahcsr wrote:
United1 wrote:
WWads wrote:

Thanks for the inside info. Much appreciated.

UA2761 is a little over an hour out of IAH...its slated to park at C7 which is furthest gate you can see at the end of the new C pier.

UA2761 is ORD IAH ORD.... and it just pushed off C7 with 315 passengers boarded. :bouncy:

Good on UA. Hopefully there are no more UA pax stranded at IAH. I wonder if the other airlines will get together and charter a plane to get all their pax out (if there are significant numbers stuck on the grounds). Might be easiest just to pay UA to fly another 773 down.

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ delayed then cancelled Saturday, operating Sunday though due after 1300 currently.

maybe they should just fly it to LAX instead? Or is that too much for ground opps to handle?

ty97

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 am

HOU must have at least one functioning runway because WN sent out 3 or 4 flights to DAL to evacuate people (and presumably planes/crew as well) within the past 60-90 minutes. (WN 8922/8923/8924/8926)

thomasphoto60

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:28 am

WWads wrote:
c933103 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

UA is most likely going to have to do without IAH as a hub for a few weeks. For them, that means more ops at their nearest hubs (ORD, DEN, IAD). We could see a lot of IAH-only regional airports getting temporary flights to other hubs, and increased mainline flying, especially at ORD. I could see a lot of UA outstations shutting as well, with passengers being redirected to larger nearby airports, with larger planes picking up the slack.

To demonstrate what I'm saying in Louisiana, I could see the UA stations at BTR, LFT, LCH, AEX, and MLU closing, with passengers being rebooked out of MSY and SHV. SHV would see close to all mainline, and MSY would see up-gauging to larger mainline equipment. Less than ideal, but people still need to fly.

OK, if this should happen and UA "downgrades" IAH, albeit, temporarily, what of the other domestics and international carriers, do they pull back, cease ops?
Seems like you are implying that IAH will be a Ghost Town at least for a short period of time and if that is the case, would this not have a huge, negative impact on the overall Houston economy?
"Show me the Braniffs"

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 am

WWads wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
United1 wrote:

Good on UA. Hopefully there are no more UA pax stranded at IAH. I wonder if the other airlines will get together and charter a plane to get all their pax out (if there are significant numbers stuck on the grounds). Might be easiest just to pay UA to fly another 773 down.

I haven't heard how many passengers were stuck at IAH but 315 is not a full load so this may be it....

Indy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:35 am

LAX772LR wrote:

I stand by my point. And the flooding after Katrina lasted weeks... not months. And it is irrelevant. The damage was done LONG before the water was removed. The only issue at that point is a delay in recovery. If something is going to be ruined by flooding the damage will be done within hours or a few days. Beyond that really doesn't matter. I know not all floods are created completely equal. River floods do a lot of damage due to moving debris and mud. This accelerates the damage. But when you are in a bowl like New Orleans and Houston both are, the flooding type is similar. Whether water is there 5 days, a week, two weeks, or a month really won't matter.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Narfish641

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 am

So are the airports totally flooded? Have they move the non operational aircrafts away from the flooded areas? Because one thing for sure is with a heap of water, its a death note awaiting to meet it's victim.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738

WWads

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 am

thomasphoto60 wrote:
WWads wrote:
c933103 wrote:

OK, if this should happen and UA "downgrades" IAH, albeit, temporarily, what of the other domestics and international carriers, do they pull back, cease ops?
Seems like you are implying that IAH will be a Ghost Town at least for a short period of time and if that is the case, would this not have a huge, negative impact on the overall Houston economy?

Wow. I think the hurricane is causing Houston experience a huge, negative impact on the overall economy. UA ceasing ops is a comparative drop in the bucket.

I think most other airlines are likely to suspend service for a significant period of time, even after IAH technically reopens for departures.

What I'm talking about is UA realigning ops to keep IAH-only airports in the region functioning. UA will restart ops when it can, but flights are likely to be limited to hubs and major outstations. Every day that UA's IAH hub remains closed, that's thousands more passengers at surrounding outstations that are stranded. UA is going to have to move them sooner rather than later. It's either that, or refund hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) in tickets. No need to do that IMO. It's going to take creative thinking, but it's totally doable.
Last edited by WWads on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

aileron1999

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 am

WWads wrote:
c933103 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Not sure I understand. If we're talking WN, they have DAL, but that airport is maxed out. DFW is pretty much full too, certainly not enough space to pick up the slack for IAH/HOU.

Ok this is getting a little silly. Ual will be running a full schedule by next Monday at the latest. The affects of this storm will linger throughout the region for months to come, but Houston will rebound very quickly. IAH is a connecting hub. I haven't seen the statistics for a while but it's something like 65% connections 35% O&D. Even if local traffic is temporarily depressed from the storm for a few months, the power of connections will sustain IAH. Ual will be fine, IAH will be fine and Houston will be fine.

Eric

WWads

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 am

aileron1999 wrote:
WWads wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Ok this is getting a little silly. Ual will be running a full schedule by next Monday at the latest. The affects of this storm will linger throughout the region for months to come, but Houston will rebound very quickly. IAH is a connecting hub. I haven't seen the statistics for a while but it's something like 65% connections 35% O&D. Even if local traffic is temporarily depressed from the storm for a few months, the power of connections will sustain IAH. Ual will be fine, IAH will be fine and Houston will be fine.

Eric

Are you sure about that? Have you seen what's happening? Houston is going to get hit a second, and perhaps even a third time. Next Monday is extremely optimistic. UA has flown in staff, but I doubt that they could fly in enough to sustain a full connecting operation. I doubt that the airport has enough space to dorm all those workers, and I doubt that surrounding hotels are in much position to help. Some locally-based employees will probably be able to make it in, but the devastation is such that most are going to stay home to care for their families (assuming they still have homes). There's also the issue of fuel, water, food/catering, and the other basic supplies needed to operate an airport. Even something like non-functiong sewage systems would be enough to prevent large-scale operations IMO.

As I said previously, I see limited operations resuming rather quickly, but hundreds of flights a day? I highly doubt it.
Last edited by WWads on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:57 am

are we not seeing with ua the greatest operational disruption to an airline in the history of commercial aviation?

WWads

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 am

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
are we not seeing with ua the greatest operational disruption to an airline in the history of commercial aviation?

Nothing beats 9/11, and a few IT meltdowns have been bigger. This affects only one hub directly, but the system will certainly feel the impact for weeks.

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:03 am

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ delayed then cancelled Saturday, operating Sunday though due after 1300 currently.

maybe they should just fly it to LAX instead? Or is that too much for ground opps to handle?

Wouldn't be any additional strain on LAX at all... but the pertinent question is if it's warranted from a pax/yield perspective.

Indy wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I stand by my point.

Then you'd just be incorrect for a second time, so what purpose does that service?

Indy wrote:
And the flooding after Katrina lasted weeks... not months.

Hate to engage in something as simple as basic mathematics, but when a storm occurs in August, and (some of us) weren't allowed back in until October, and in some areas even later.............

Indy wrote:
Whether water is there 5 days, a week, two weeks, or a month really won't matter.

Again, repeating this statement isn't going to make it any less false than it was the first time. Physical structure isn't the only aspect here, nor can you sum the total damage rendered in something so nebulous as "recovery."

First, and foremost, the longer standing water remains, the more lives are at risk. People survived the actual storm and even the ensuing early days, only to succumb to stranding (and dehydration, disease, lack of medical attention) as a result of standing water.

Second, the longer that water sits, in a region where it won't go anywhere until forced, the harder it becomes to initiate the process. Heck, they weren't able to get some of the 17th Street and Industrial pumps to start because the water had completely corroded them. They're designed to take some deluge, and could've survived a short-term submerging; but no one ever thought they'd sit under for weeks. And as long as they were down, nothing else could get done.

There's a myriad of other reasons where a short-term exposure could've been infinitely less costly (in multiple measures) than weeks/months on end.

IAHFLYR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 am

WOW, such a doomsday on a.net over IAH and HOU. As one poster here mentioned Texas and Houston are very very strong and that is right on the money.

Sure, this storm is horrific and watching so many have to be rescued from their homes is very very sad. But seriously, to think IAH cannot recover quickly is asinine. Having worked at IAH for over 30 years through all types of weather, hurricanes to floods (which there have been many) even though nothing close to what is happening right now, this city, airport and workers will respond when the time is right and they will find a way to bring the airports back to life ASAP. And ASAP won't be weeks or months down the road.

Just look at all the citizens helping our folks they have no clue who they are. Think those folks are going to be reimbursed for their gas to operate their personal boats or be paid anything for their time.....no! Houston is a very proud community and I for one look more positive on this as the airports spring back to life and the airlines get their operations back to full speed by the end of this week.

How about some more positive now on this event......oh yeah, this is a.net isn't it.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 am

WWads wrote:
aileron1999 wrote:
WWads wrote:

Eric

Are you sure about that? Have you seen what's happening? Houston is going to get hit a second, and perhaps even a third time. Next Monday is extremely optimistic. UA has flown in staff, but I doubt that they could fly in enough to sustain a full connecting operation. I doubt that the airport has enough space to dorm all those workers, and I doubt that surrounding hotels are in much position to help. Some locally-based employees will probably be able to make it in, but the devastation is such that most are going to stay home to care for their families (assuming they still have homes). There's also the issue of fuel, water, food/catering, and the other basic supplies needed to operate an airport. Even something like non-functiong sewage systems would be enough to prevent large-scale operations IMO.

As I said previously, I see limited operations resuming rather quickly, but hundreds of flights a day? I highly doubt it.

Houston is going to get more rain but lets put it in perspective a bit....Houston got around 24 inches of rain in the past 24 hours and is expected to get a further 15-24 inches of rain over the next three days. There is still going to be flooding and in places that will last for days if not longer but the heaviest rain should be over and the remaining rain is spread out over a much longer period of time. Hopefully that means that things will start to drain...

Also while we are all glued to our TVs watching flooded street after flooded street keep in mind that while sections of the city are flooded there are other parts that are high and dry. While I am not someone who shouts fake news at my TV screen it is important to understand the news shows you the best and the worst..the average and in between don't make it.

IAH seems to have weathered the storm quite well so far...HOU took it a bit more on the chin but even then we know that the terminal itself did not flood and at least one runway is usable.

sphealey

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:19 am

Latest forecast - with Harvey spinning back over the Gulf to recharge - is that the Houston area may receive up to 60" (1.5 m) of rain before this is over, coming in another set of 15" bursts. That is an unprecedented amount of rain for any non-tropical location. Based on what I have seen I would say the situation is close to that following Andrew where the damage was so bad and people were so shocked that reliable damage estimates weren't known for more than a week.

Just based on the video footage available from Houston there won't be any quick cleanup. When entire office parks with 6-story buildings are flooded to the 2nd floor it is not a matter of mopping up and moving on.

coairman

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:20 am

IAH will be out of service for a while and may not ever get back to original form. There are many spare planes all over the system. Many other hubs can upguage equipment to larger aircraft and add extra banks to accommodate the IAH connecting traffic. UA has 6 other hubs to work with and absorb the connecting traffic that was originally scheduled to flow through IAH. IAD already accepted diversions from EZE, GIG and LIM that was scheduled to arrive into IAH. UA could at least temporarily add new destinations from other hubs that were unique to IAH to accommodate certain markets and passenger demand. I think it's way to premature for some of you overly optimistic folks to say Houston will recover fairly quickly. Even the National Weather Service has proclaimed that this situation is unprecedented....... more rain is to come...
Last edited by coairman on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

LAXdude1023

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 am

atl100million wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
atl100million wrote:
The National Weather Service got it right even if some people don't understand the gravity of what is happening or think that major businesses including airlines will carry on as usual.

@NWS
This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced. Follow orders from officials to ensure safety. #Harvey

You may not even be old enough to remember Katrina but the impact on New Orleans was enormous - and MSY was not a major airline hub and is a smaller city than Houston.

It doesn't matter how many resources UA or WN wants to throw at their hubs. The entire SE Texas region will take months to recover, business will slow to crawl, and the impact will cost the entire region. Contractors and temporary workers do not take the place of high value global business people that are needed to profitably fill flights to Houston.

Whether anyone here realizes it or not, this is an unprecedented disaster in size and scope and it will cost the region and the airlines that serve that region. Funneling connecting traffic won't keep UA and WN from having to reduce the size of their operations in Houston because of the lack of high value business demand.

HAHAHAHA!

Yes this storm sucks. Yes, it will cost UA millions of dollars. But your exaggerations are downright stupid and a testament to your lack of objectivity to anything that doesn't directly glorify Delta. I live in this city. Im riding out the storm now. I work in Corporate Travel. People still need to get in and out of here for work. That will NOT change. Comparing this to Katrina is downright stupid.

seriously get a grip.

The rain hasn't even stopped in Houston... at best, the NWS is saying the area might have received HALF of the rain that Harvey will send to the area and you are worried about trying to reduce what is ALREADY one of the most extensive natural disasters in the US into a competitive fight between DL and UA?

Note that real experts are calling this unprecedented and most extensive disaster in history.

They are fully aware of Katrina and no one is belittling anything that those people went through.

Houston is simply a much bigger city, there are dozens of pictures of homes, cars and businesses underwater - and again the rain hasn't stopped.

I would suggest you swallow your pride a little bit and understand that the world is bigger than your home, your neighborhood, and the work you do.

This is an unprecedented disaster. Trying to act like a few people will just sweep the front door and all will be back to normal is the height of being disconnected.

I and most other people are in shock at what is happening in Houston and we are very aware, apparently unlike you, of knowing the impact of far smaller disasters on smaller cities and the businesses they serve.

You are free to believe what you want. There are millions of people's lives and businesses that are being profoundly changed by the minute and there will be no quick or fast recovery.

and the rain is still expected to keep coming for days.

Listen here WorldTraveler, you don't know half of whats going on here. I LIVE here. I have clients that NEED to be here regardless of weather and that cannot be delayed more than a week to be here.

This ISNT New Orleans. We are NOT situated in a bowl that takes weeks to drain. We drain in a few days once the storm stops. IAH will resume normal operations within one week of when the flooding stops. We've been through this before. This isn't new and the O&G industry won't accept anything less and they don't have to. People pay thousands upon thousands to come to Houston from places like Rio, Singapore, and Scotland every single day. Something like this may delay them for a week form the stop of the storm but you're kidding yourself if you think its going to take "weeks" to return to normal.

And seriously, at least try to make your motives less obvious. If this was Delta and Atlanta you'd be doing a 180 that would be comical.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

WWads

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:24 am

United1 wrote:
WWads wrote:
aileron1999 wrote:

Eric

Houston is going to get more rain but lets put it in perspective a bit....Houston got around 24 inches of rain in the past 24 hours and is expected to get a further 15-24 inches of rain over the next three days. There is still going to be flooding and in places that will last for days if not longer but the heaviest rain should be over and the remaining rain is spread out over a much longer period of time. Hopefully that means that things will start to drain...

Also while we are all glued to our TVs watching flooded street after flooded street keep in mind that while sections of the city are flooded there are other parts that are high and dry. While I am not someone who shouts fake news at my TV screen it is important to understand the news shows you the best and the worst..the average and in between don't make it.

IAH seems to have weathered the storm quite well so far...HOU took it a bit more on the chin but even then we know that the terminal itself did not flood and at least one runway is usable.

What I've described is the worst-case scenario. Half my family lives in Louisiana, and Katrina is still seared in memory. I naturally assume the worst with these sorts of things. Hopefully the more optimistic people are right.

LAXdude1023

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:26 am

sphealey wrote:
Latest forecast - with Harvey spinning back over the Gulf to recharge - is that the Houston area may receive up to 60" (1.5 m) of rain before this is over, coming in another set of 15" bursts. That is an unprecedented amount of rain for any non-tropical location. Based on what I have seen I would say the situation is close to that following Andrew where the damage was so bad and people were so shocked that reliable damage estimates weren't known for more than a week.

Just based on the video footage available from Houston there won't be any quick cleanup. When entire office parks with 6-story buildings are flooded to the 2nd floor it is not a matter of mopping up and moving on.

The latest track has Harvey well north of Houston by Thursday. We want the center to come closer to Houston. That will push the rain further east and north. Its going to be ugly until Wednesday morning-afternoon. Thursday and Friday will have some rain but not much. Saturday will be dry. By a week from the following Monday, all will be normal as far as air operations go.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

United1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:40 am

WWads wrote:
United1 wrote:
WWads wrote:

What I've described is the worst-case scenario. Half my family lives in Louisiana, and Katrina is still seared in memory. I naturally assume the worst with these sorts of things. Hopefully the more optimistic people are right.

Understood...sorry that your family had to go through that. Just keep in mind that Houston drains quite a bit better than New Orleans does so it's not the same scenario but I do understand why people draw that parallel. A better example might be to look at Sandy hitting NY/NJ (something I lived through) the city was back up and running to some semblance of normal within 48 hours. There were areas that took longer, lots longer, to recover and there were lots of transit issues but life kind of just went forward...

sldispatcher

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:42 am

Someone actually believes UAL will have to do without IAH as a hub for weeks? ahahahhaahahahhahah
The airport is intact and no flood related damage as far as I can tell. Employees and such may take a little longer to get back in the groove, but like with any storm related issues, one block may be flooded and two blocks over there is nothing wrong. It will depend on where all of these good employees are having to come in from.

But weeks? I don't think so.

AVENSAB727

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:03 am

coairman wrote:
IAH will be out of service for a while and may not ever get back to original form. There are many spare planes all over the system. Many other hubs can upguage equipment to larger aircraft and add extra banks to accommodate the IAH connecting traffic. UA has 6 other hubs to work with and absorb the connecting traffic that was originally scheduled to flow through IAH. IAD already accepted diversions from EZE, GIG and LIM that was scheduled to arrive into IAH. UA could at least temporarily add new destinations from other hubs that were unique to IAH to accommodate certain markets and passenger demand. I think it's way to premature for some of you overly optimistic folks to say Houston will recover fairly quickly. Even the National Weather Service has proclaimed that this situation is unprecedented....... more rain is to come...

IAH will be out of service for a while and may not ever get back to original form? Yeah right, lets be realistic, IAH has weathered this storm fine, and has not seen any major flooding. To say it will be out of service for a while is just being ridiculous. This is just "plane" silly, so many "doom and gloom" posts here about IAH.
Last edited by AVENSAB727 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

pilotkev1

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:06 am

Should be an additional two 77Ws at least flying humanitarian flights into IAH tomorrow.

coairman

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:17 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
coairman wrote:

IAH will be out of service for a while and may not ever get back to original form? Yeah right, lets be realistic, IAH has weathered this storm fine, and has not seen any major flooding. To say it will be out of service for a while is just being ridiculous. This is just "plane" silly, so many "doom and gloom" posts here about IAH.

It's not that simple....just because IAH (the airport) is fine is just part of running a smooth operation. What about having employees working the ramp? Customer service personnel? Pilots and Flight attendants? Fuelers? Potable water and lavatory personnel? Concession personnel? TSA employees? ...... etc. The reports are that the roads feeding the airport are either closed or have high water, this makes it very difficult to get to the airport. If you don't have them available..... or not as many as you need, you can't support a normal operation.......this isn't doom and gloom, just being realistic.... that's all....it won't get back to "normal" for a while.....no need to be defensive about it...It just helps to be real and not overly confident..
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

dc10co

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:21 am

The doomsayers on here are almost comical and it's evident that most of them have little to no real world airline experience. As of right now UA's plan is for normal-ish operations to resume at IAH Tuesday afternoon, weather permitting. And this includes operations to IAH only "feeder" cities like AEX LFT LCH BTR MLU and even to CRP BRO & HRL. UA has an extensive Emergency Response team & a well thought out and robust plan for business continuity in the aftermath of events like this. If anything our push to continue operations has been too eager, it was only yesterday at around noon that the decision was finally made to reduce to only hub flying and international widebodies, and then only today at around 10am was the decision made to discontinue all operations from IAH. These decisions to attempt to continue operations is what led to these diversions, but we have spent today & will spend tomorrow getting aircraft and resources in position to open up IAH at near full capacity as quickly as possible. The aircraft that diverted have been ferried to various stations around the system in preparation of this. At the very latest you will see operations back to normal by Thursday or Friday but as of right now UA's plan is for Wednesday to have things up and running fully. I can't speak for WN but I'm sure that their ERT has similar plans & processes in place for business continuity
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

ltbewr

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:24 am

It is going to be very difficult at this time to determine when 'normal' or even limited commercial and GA operations will restart at all Houston regional airports and beyond. Even when the airports are reopened, maybe late this week or next weekend, the access may be at first limited to military and humanitarian aid then with limited commercial flights due to infrastructure damage at the airports and beyond. This storm is still going, the flooding is beyond any experienced in the past in the region since Europeans came in. Likely the airports like millions in the region are without power, clean water, sewerage, many 1000's of homes are or will be destroyed. Fuel production and delivery is pretty much shut down and it could be impossible on a full scale for weeks and what can be produced or delivered short term, possibly from outside the region by truck and rail and what is delivered will have to prioritized to rescue and recovery. Most likely those flights comming in may have to 'tanker' fuel and longer flights make fuel stops due to limited supplies of fuel for the foreseeable future.
Yes, this is going to be a big financial hit on the airlines, but they have survived 9/11 and Katrina. They will make it through this too. Some like WN may have financial reserves and even insurance to cover short term losses from this massive event.

jetero

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 am

ltbewr wrote:
It is going to be very difficult at this time to determine when 'normal' or even limited commercial and GA operations will restart at all Houston regional airports and beyond. Even when the airports are reopened, maybe late this week or next weekend, the access may be at first limited to military and humanitarian aid then with limited commercial flights due to infrastructure damage at the airports and beyond. This storm is still going, the flooding is beyond any experienced in the past in the region since Europeans came in. Likely the airports like millions in the region are without power, clean water, sewerage, many 1000's of homes are or will be destroyed. Fuel production and delivery is pretty much shut down and it could be impossible on a full scale for weeks and what can be produced or delivered short term, possibly from outside the region by truck and rail and what is delivered will have to prioritized to rescue and recovery. Most likely those flights comming in may have to 'tanker' fuel and longer flights make fuel stops due to limited supplies of fuel for the foreseeable future.
Yes, this is going to be a big financial hit on the airlines, but they have survived 9/11 and Katrina. They will make it through this too. Some like WN may have financial reserves and even insurance to cover short term losses from this massive event.

Good Lord, there aren't "millions" without power, sewerage, and clean water by any stretch of the imagination.

This thread has so much nonsense in it, propagated entirely by people who are hundreds of miles away.
Last edited by jetero on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntonioMartin

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 am

dc10co wrote:
The doomsayers on here are almost comical and it's evident that most of them have little to no real world airline experience. As of right now UA's plan is for normal-ish operations to resume at IAH Tuesday afternoon, weather permitting. And this includes operations to IAH only "feeder" cities like AEX LFT LCH BTR MLU and even to CRP BRO & HRL. UA has an extensive Emergency Response team & a well thought out and robust plan for business continuity in the aftermath of events like this. If anything our push to continue operations has been too eager, it was only yesterday at around noon that the decision was finally made to reduce to only hub flying and international widebodies, and then only today at around 10am was the decision made to discontinue all operations from IAH. These decisions to attempt to continue operations is what led to these diversions, but we have spent today & will spend tomorrow getting aircraft and resources in position to open up IAH at near full capacity as quickly as possible. The aircraft that diverted have been ferried to various stations around the system in preparation of this. At the very latest you will see operations back to normal by Thursday or Friday but as of right now UA's plan is for Wednesday to have things up and running fully. I can't speak for WN but I'm sure that their ERT has similar plans & processes in place for business continuity

Very good to know.

Are there any United 747 or 787 parked at PHX by any chance??

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:56 am

jetero wrote:
Good Lord, there aren't "millions" without power, sewerage, and clean water by any stretch of the imagination.

This thread has so much nonsense in it, propagated entirely by people who are hundreds of miles away.

How do you know that though? No figures have been released yet, other than the declared disaster area covering an area of 7-8mm people... thus it's really not that much of a stretch of the imagination, one way or another.

alggag

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:58 am

jetero wrote:

:checkmark:

I'm here in Houston and most of the people I know socially and through work are still dry and with power and water. Yes, I do know some people (including my own parents) that have some water in their home but it's still relatively low. Sadly, I do know some people who are reporting that they have *significant* amounts of water in their home but thankfully they are still the exception.

Yes, a lot of people out there are in a bad way but a lot of us are still hanging in okay just very anxious and sleepless.

usflyguy

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:01 am

Bigger than the airlines is what is going to happen to gas prices across the US. From what I have been told, all of the refineries around here have been taken offline, which represents over 35% of the refining capacity in the US.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

AntonioMartin

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:08 am

Praying for Houston...I hope everything goes back to normal soon and that the least possible humans are affected by this.

jetero

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 am

alggag wrote:
jetero wrote:

:checkmark:

I'm here in Houston and most of the people I know socially and through work are still dry and with power and water. Yes, I do know some people (including my own parents) that have some water in their home but it's still relatively low. Sadly, I do know some people who are reporting that they have *significant* amounts of water in their home but thankfully they are still the exception.

Yes, a lot of people out there are in a bad way but a lot of us are still hanging in okay just very anxious and sleepless.

Well that makes 2 of us and 90% of the people I know.

ElfinLAX, last figure I saw earlier today was right about 100k houses without power. And I don't think we have 30 people on average living in houses, which would constitute "millions." Maybe it's 200k now, but I think we could agree even 15 people on average per house is a bit of a stretch. Hell, even at 500k that'd be 6 on average. But everyone on here can believe whatever they want to believe.

(And, BTW, Elfin, it has been reported

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron.co ... 968986.php

Search "Power outage Houston" on Google. This is from yesterday ... certainly worse today ... but not "millions.")

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos