Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cessna2

Re: Delta gates at airports for expansion

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:00 pm

alexinwa wrote:
DL at A and B in SEA doesn't seem to make alot sense. A only has two W/B capable gates and B has two as well. A would have to shrink from 14 gates to 11 or 12?

The new International Arrivals Facility or IAF for short, will be built as an extension to the current A concourse. It'll add 8 widebody gates. So essentially, if DL does get all of A, they could take those 8 widebody gates and use them for regular domestic flights as well. Not to mention the current widebody gates on the end of A now could be reconfigured into two narrowbody gates should the need/want a couple additional gates. It'll be nice to be completely out of the S gates. For the past two months 1 of the 2 escalators has been out of service and doesn't appear that it's going to be fixed anytime soon. I'm also hoping that at the completion of the IAF the forward car of the people mover will be open to everyone. With all the growth taking place its gets pretty crowded in the two cars during peak times.

Prost

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 pm

The IAF in SEA doesn’t add any gates to the A Concourse.

Capn
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:35 am

Prost wrote:

You sound like you work there, so please explain why all the excitement about this being a big expansion.it looks to me as if it will be a reduction in gates for DL.I was hoping for more gates to increase dom. expansion .I don't think this gives DL room to grow domestically.
Thanks in advance
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

N383SW

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Six. There are a couple more gates in their concourse that are vacant. 2 of the 3 have jetways that are open. I think they used A12 at some point.

This is a mostly up to date STL gate diagram. WN has taken up the vacant E gates listed
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... m_2017.pdf

It has been more than five years since I have been on A, but A5 and A7 should also be usable, though perhaps lacking jet bridges at the moment. IINM NW parked DC-9s and Airbii there.

They are not usable. A5 last had a jetway in 2010 and A7 hasn't had one since at least 1996 based on google images.

Going more into it A12 shares a waiting area with A10 so that would make things cramped if they tried to have flights at the same time out of them. I flew out of A10 last year on a MD8x or 90 and it was overflowing from just that. A9 also has a smaller waiting area due to the indoor playground that was put in. They could probably make it work with RJs though.

Here is the current floor plan. A5 is now blocked by a Starbucks. A7 is probably where the bathroom is located

Before the merger with TW, AA used A10 and 12 with the F100, S80, and 727 and it worked.. I know that was a different day though and I've seen DL park the 757 at A10 which probably renders 12 unusable. Still for whatever it's worth (with DL adding IND-CDG) I've wondered how they could possibly park a 763 over on A, seems likes its cramped quarters over there. Which actually leads me to another (off the subject and for a different thread, I know) thought... when there's room on C and D and to consolidate TSA and tidy things up in general, why not move DL and UA out of A and over to C? Long winded and sort of off subject but just raised some thoughts...

Jshank83

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm

N383SW wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

It has been more than five years since I have been on A, but A5 and A7 should also be usable, though perhaps lacking jet bridges at the moment. IINM NW parked DC-9s and Airbii there.

They are not usable. A5 last had a jetway in 2010 and A7 hasn't had one since at least 1996 based on google images.

Going more into it A12 shares a waiting area with A10 so that would make things cramped if they tried to have flights at the same time out of them. I flew out of A10 last year on a MD8x or 90 and it was overflowing from just that. A9 also has a smaller waiting area due to the indoor playground that was put in. They could probably make it work with RJs though.

Here is the current floor plan. A5 is now blocked by a Starbucks. A7 is probably where the bathroom is located

Before the merger with TW, AA used A10 and 12 with the F100, S80, and 727 and it worked.. I know that was a different day though and I've seen DL park the 757 at A10 which probably renders 12 unusable. Still for whatever it's worth (with DL adding IND-CDG) I've wondered how they could possibly park a 763 over on A, seems likes its cramped quarters over there. Which actually leads me to another (off the subject and for a different thread, I know) thought... when there's room on C and D and to consolidate TSA and tidy things up in general, why not move DL and UA out of A and over to C? Long winded and sort of off subject but just raised some thoughts...

DL has run a 767 (of some sort) instead of the 757 on routes randomly so one of the DL gates can handle it. I am guessing it is A10 like you mentioned. When it happens it is just a one off aircraft swap.

Capn
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Prost wrote:

Prost,
Do you know how many gates DL will have on A when IAF opens how many total at SEA ?

Capn
Topic Author

Re: Delta gates at airports it wants to expand at

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 pm

iflykpdx wrote:
At SJC DL has had gates 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 since July 1.

I was rereading the thread and thought that was a lot of gates for @ 20 flts hope that means more growth is coming soon.

iflykpdx

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:05 pm

I have been somewhat surprised they've been one of the only two or three airlines here to not announce anything new in the last year.
Airport Management - UND

Sightseer

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 pm

iflykpdx wrote:
I have been somewhat surprised they've been one of the only two or three airlines here to not announce anything new in the last year.

Delta has started or announced plenty of new routes in the past year: JFK/ATL-LIS, lots of BOS routes, several out of RDU, LAX-ABQ/CDG/AMS, and more.

iflykpdx

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I was referring specifically to SJC.
Airport Management - UND

IPFreely

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 am

compensateme wrote:
Are you sure DL wants additional gates at all these airports ? To me, it looks more like a wish list of the places a.net fanboys want DL to expand at all.

At ORD, for example, DL sub-leases gates to UA.

The other part of that question, if DL wants additional gates, is if they're wanted for Delta or Delta Connection.

Capn
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

IPFreely wrote:
compensateme wrote:
Are you sure DL wants additional gates at all these airports ? To me, it looks more like a wish list of the places a.net fanboys want DL to expand at all.

At ORD, for example, DL sub-leases gates to UA.

The other part of that question, if DL wants additional gates, is if they're wanted for Delta or Delta Connection.

I will certainly admit to being a DL. Fanboy, however the. reason I ask is to see lf DL does have gates at these airports that I do believe they will expand in by watching their current strategy of connecting important business centers, one which I think is a good one
I don't think it matters whether it is Conn. or mainline...I thought you had gotten over that... Mr. Freely

Capn
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Its been several weeks since theres been any discussion on this thread and it got buried at the back of threads. I was hoping for some updates at airports that netters have knowledge of.
Namely I am curious about what's been done at LAX, ORD, DFW, AUS, SEA CLT, BOS, and any others you may want to discuss here.
Thanks again in advance.

Capn
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Any new news on when SWA is moving off A at BOS?

steveAUS

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:21 am

So I have been thinking about the AUS expansion for a while now, and finally decided to sit down and hash out my ideas of who would get what gates. I have no insider info, but I am applying some basic logic to predict the new gate distribution: DL +4 (as discussed on this thread), WN +3 (largest carrier by a mile with insanely high gate utilization, needs and wnats to score more), B6 +1, and CUTE +1 (more carriers expand to AUS, the more CUTE the better).

With that logic, I predict the total # of gates will be as follows:
(Airline - current # - new #)
DL - 3 - 7
WN - 6 - 9
AA - 5 - 5
UA - 5 - 5
B6 - 1 - 2
CUTE - 5 - 6

To take this one step further, I used this rendering to visualize who will have which gates after the reconfiguration. Assuming ABIA numbers the new gates like the west end (I.e. the middle black gate would be one, the alternating even/odds, etc), I project the following gates for each airline:

CUTE: 1-6
DL: 7-13
WN: 14-22
AA: 23, 25, 27, 29, 31
UA: 24, 26, 28, 30, 32
B6: 33-34

Just some thoughts...

Capn
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Great post. I am not sure I understand the gate numbering, if the middle BLACK gate is 1.what is the first BLACK gate on the back side?
Thanks

steveAUS

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 am

Capn wrote:
Great post. I am not sure I understand the gate numbering, if the middle BLACK gate is 1.what is the first BLACK gate on the back side?
Thanks

Yeah, it's confusing as hell. Let me try to this..if you start with the leftmost black gate and go right/clockwise, this is my numbering: 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5.

But remember, this is all assuming they keep the same numbering system as the west end of the terminal. But, based off of other renderings it looks like they'll preface gated numbers with an "E." Are they planning to call them East and West concourses?? Go figure.

11725Flyer

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 am

steveAUS wrote:
So I have been thinking about the AUS expansion for a while now, and finally decided to sit down and hash out my ideas of who would get what gates. I have no insider info, but I am applying some basic logic to predict the new gate distribution: DL +4 (as discussed on this thread), WN +3 (largest carrier by a mile with insanely high gate utilization, needs and wnats to score more), B6 +1, and CUTE +1 (more carriers expand to AUS, the more CUTE the better).

DL - 3 - 7
WN - 6 - 9
AA - 5 - 5
UA - 5 - 5
B6 - 1 - 2
CUTE - 5 - 6

To take this one step further, I used this rendering to visualize who will have which gates after the reconfiguration. Assuming ABIA numbers the new gates like the west end (I.e. the middle black gate would be one, the alternating even/odds, etc), I project the following gates for each airline:

Just some thoughts...

Great analysis, thanks. I suspect DL would use the CS100s to open up more routes from AUS.

Capn
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:34 pm

steveAUS wrote:
Capn wrote:
Thanks

Yeah, it's confusing as hell. Let me try to this..if you start with the leftmost black gate and go right/clockwise, this is my numbering: 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5.

But remember, this is all assuming they keep the same numbering system as the west end of the terminal. But, based off of other renderings it looks like they'll preface gated numbers with an "E." Are they planning to call them East and West concourses?? Go figure.

I see what you mean now. Hope for paxs sake they come up with something less confusing either EAST-WEST or renumber whole term from one side to the next.
Either way its interesting times ahead for AUS,great potential for future growth.

khowaga

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Capn wrote:
steveAUS wrote:
Capn wrote:
Thanks

I see what you mean now. Hope for paxs sake they come up with something less confusing either EAST-WEST or renumber whole term from one side to the next.
Either way its interesting times ahead for AUS,great potential for future growth.

It might just be the numbers the contractor gave in the renderings, so that each gate has a definitive identifier that remains constant during the construction process. It’s the easiest way to avoid confusion...

Capn
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:02 pm

That makes sense. I hope the distribution of the gates will give DL. the space for a club.

khowaga

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Capn wrote:
That makes sense. I hope the distribution of the gates will give DL. the space for a club.

There was an article in the Statesman that confirmed a third airline club - apparently the contract hadn’t been signed so they didn’t identify the carrier. Also confirmed that two gates will have dual jetways and that there will be 6 flexible domestic/international use gates.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/transpo ... Bk6OGlp3M/

Capn
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Can posters from the following cities tell us how many gates DELTA in them ?
PDX
LAS
MCI
SAT
CLE
PHL
TPA
IAD
PIT
IAH
DFW

Thanks in advance

ScottB

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 am

Capn wrote:
PDX
LAS
MCI
SAT
CLE
PHL
TPA
IAD
PIT
IAH
DFW

Thanks in advance

DL has four gates at IAH: A10, A12, A14 & A15. They very occasionally use A11 which was a DL gate before the merger with NW, but now is mostly used by AS.

USPIT10L

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:26 am

At PIT, DL has D76, D78, D80, D82, D84, and uses C61 for the CDG/CUN flight.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

FLYKTPA

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 am

Capn wrote:
PDX
LAS
MCI
SAT
CLE
PHL
TPA
IAD
PIT
IAH
DFW

Thanks in advance

DL uses about 9 gates at TPA. Some only see a few flights per day.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

Capn
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks for the quick responses, I should have included, how easy would it be to add more. I think these cities along with earlier inquiries are where future expansion might come from. I have no inside info however its fun to play amateur network planner...
Hope for more Reponses.

DBun

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 am

I beleive DL has 5 full time gates at PDX, with another 5 CUTE in CC D that it could use.

Midwestindy

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 am

Capn wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses, I should have included, how easy would it be to add more. I think these cities along with earlier inquiries are where future expansion might come from. I have no inside info however its fun to play amateur network planner...
Hope for more Reponses.

So, why do you think these specific cities and earlier ones are likely where future expansion will come from?
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Capn
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Capn wrote:
Hope for more Reponses.

So, why do you think these specific cities and earlier ones are likely where future expansion will come from?

I think that DELTAS 3 main dom. hubs ATL,DTW and MSP (no slight SLC your time is coming ) have pretty much filled most of their dots, with a few exceptions, thief future growth will be mostly in capacity. I think that as the vibrant cities grow and their companies expand there will be more opportunities to fly point to point between them.
Just to refresh, in my earlier post other cities I had asked about were,

AUS BOS BNA CMH CLT DFW ORD STL MCO RIC SJC SAN BOI MKE DEN MSY IND .
I am probably leaving out some others, its not rocket science just my thoughts.
Hope to hear other points of view and additional info.

CapitalAvGeek

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 am

Capn wrote:
PDX
LAS
MCI
SAT
CLE
PHL
TPA
IAD
PIT
IAH
DFW

Thanks in advance

At IAD DL uses B72, B74, B76, and B78. They also use B66 and B79 in the late evening until early the next morning. Keep in mind other airlines use B79 and sometimes B66 during the day.

757usairways

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm

At PHL, DL uses D8, D10, D12, D14, D15 and A6 for the LHR flight.

blhp68

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Capn wrote:
PDX
LAS
MCI
SAT
CLE
PHL
TPA
IAD
PIT
IAH
DFW

Thanks in advance

DL leverages 6 gates at MCI.

CarlosSi

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

steveAUS wrote:

DL - 3 - 7
WN - 6 - 9
AA - 5 - 5
UA - 5 - 5
B6 - 1 - 2
CUTE - 5 - 6

Just some thoughts...

Where will you stick AS and.... actually, that's just about it. I'm shocked that we only have 5 major domestic carriers non-ULCC (with Frontier supposedly being pushed to the South Terminal) while the rest are international carriers.

masseybrown

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:20 pm

In CLE, DL uses B2 (a double gate for 2 RJs), B4, B6, and B5. I'm not sure if they lease B5, it was a common use gate. As another common use gate is turning into a de facto WN gate (B3), that means WN owns the rest of Concourse B and there is no room for DL to expand without a major move. Gate B1 is currently not used and is not ADA-compliant; I'm guessing it will never be used again. DL currently has ~27 daily flights, so the existing gates could accommodate some growth as long as it's not an RON turn.

steveAUS

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
steveAUS wrote:

DL - 3 - 7
WN - 6 - 9
AA - 5 - 5
UA - 5 - 5
B6 - 1 - 2
CUTE - 5 - 6

Just some thoughts...

Where will you stick AS and.... actually, that's just about it. I'm shocked that we only have 5 major domestic carriers non-ULCC (with Frontier supposedly being pushed to the South Terminal) while the rest are international carriers.

oops, guess I just assumed AS used a CUTE gate but I was wrong. It looks like gate 25 is exclusively AS. Considering their flights cater directly to tech business travel, I wouldn't be surprised if AS wanted to relocate to one of the new, sexier gates. So maybe give one of the gates I predicted as CUTE to AS? Hmm...

Capn
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:31 pm

I have forgotten when the new gates at AUS are to open. Can you update the info?
Thanks and thanks for all the other replies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos