Cointrin330
Topic Author

Air Berlin Axes Numerous Long Haul Routes (DUS & TXL)

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:41 pm

ATW reported today that Air Berlin Group will discontinue TXL-LAX, TXL-SFO, TXL-ORD by October 1. DUS-BOS also being cut, as are the TXL/DUS to Abu Dhabi routes, no surprise on those in particular. Didn't see this posted, but apologies if this is a duplicate post. Wonder what will happen to Air Berlin's long haul network, which had grown to a significant size in recent years.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Re: Air Berlin Axes Numerous Long Haul Routes (DUS & TXL)

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Here is the link:

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ai ... insolvency

Some of the cuts are actually early termination of planned seasonal routes.

717atOGG

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:29 am

Sad. The long-haul network apparently was profitable, so it makes me wonder how much time Air Berlin has left.
Long live the Boeing 757!

Flightsimboy

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:30 am

So then what becomes of YYZ to start in 2018?
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

LHUSA

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 am

I have to say I'm utterly confused by how this is unfolding. I was under the impression that AB only had enough funding to fly through November? But in this article they speak of Winter 17/18 operations and even leasing 2 A330NEOs. Is the deal that they will continue flying under new ownership (LH or other) and those planes will eventually carry the livery of that carrier?

dcajet

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:51 am

LHUSA wrote:
I have to say I'm utterly confused by how this is unfolding. I was under the impression that AB only had enough funding to fly through November? But in this article they speak of Winter 17/18 operations and even leasing 2 A330NEOs. Is the deal that they will continue flying under new ownership (LH or other) and those planes will eventually carry the livery of that carrier?

Well, very diplomatically on the same article, ATW also says:

ATW understands it is unlikely Air Berlin will continue to operate long-haul routes next year as a result of the critical financial situation.

Which lessor in its right mind would lease an A330-900 to AB? Most likely, AB will be a memory a year from now.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

continental004

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:52 am

Sad that TXL-LAX is being cut for the second time in less than a decade. Berlin is one of my favorite cities and I'm sad the route couldn't work. Maybe Norwegian can pick up TXL-LAX and TXL-SFO?

dcajet

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 am

continental004 wrote:
Sad that TXL-LAX is being cut for the second time in less than a decade. Berlin is one of my favorite cities and I'm sad the route couldn't work. Maybe Norwegian can pick up TXL-LAX and TXL-SFO?

At this juncture, it goes beyond the route. It's the airline that is broke.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

KICT

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:05 am

And yet DUS-RSW soldiers on after many, many years.
People are saying. Believe me.

javier787

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:10 am

continental004 wrote:

I suspect Level would also be another candidate to pick up those routes.

NichCage

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:13 am

Berlin-LAX has been cut before, sad to be seeing it get cut again. Berlin-SFO was just recently introduced, so it wasn't around for a long time. I know that Berlin-ORD has been around for a while, it must not have been performing well. TXL-Abu Dhabi has also been around for a while, but it's not shocking to see it get cut.

DUS-Boston hasn't been around for too long, sad to see it go pretty quickly. I thought that Air Berlin would keep the route when Eurowings ended CGN-Boston, but it's not the case now. Air Berlin has already ended DUS-Abu Dhabi a while back, and gave Etihad a second daily flight instead to DUS.

So now, DUS will have service to Cancun, Chicago, Curacao, Fort Myers, Los Angeles, Miami, New York-JFK, Orlando, Punta Cana, San Francisco, Toronto (if it is launched), and Varadero for a total of 12 routes. TXL will have Miami and New York-JFK only, for a total of 2 routes.

I honestly question how the new flights from DUS to Toronto and Chicago to perform.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:28 am

There was another article on Reuters yesterday suggesting Lufthansa would like to acquire many, though not all, of the A330-200s in the Air Berlin fleet, which total 17. Guessing they probably want to position those jets mainly in its EuroWings subsidiary. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Air Berlin routes to JFK and the Mexico, Florida, and Caribbean beach markets. Air Berlin carries something like 1/4 of Germany's holiday traffic. The JFK routes are also legacy LTU routes, I believe. Curious if Lufthansa will pick them up or have EuroWings operate them.

DUS has a catchment of around 11 million people so I could see LH maintain it if it were to have the approved bid for the assets. TXL is a maybe. DL serves it seasonally only. UA flies EWR-TXL year round. Will be interesting to see if Star Alliance partners will offer a double-daily service to NYC, albeit to two different NY/NJ area airports.

MAH4546

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
The JFK routes are also legacy LTU routes, I believe. Curious if Lufthansa will pick them up or have EuroWings operate them.

The only legacy LTU routes to the States are DUS-RSW and DUS-MIA. While JFK-DUS was launched with LTU branding, it was after the Airberlin acquisition.
a.

atl100million

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 am

DL serves ATL-DUS on a year round basis. As with many routes, it is reduced during the winter.

LH likely does want to acquire as many assets and will operate some, but not all of the routes. The whole point of them acquiring AB's assets is to reduce capacity.
Last edited by atl100million on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

mercure1

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 am

As stated some of the Berlin cuts were planned already, just the timing was moved up. Obviously TXL longhaul has been loss making got AB.

Remember only back in July, AB announced it would trim is TXL longhaul fleet to mere 5 frames, with DUS base getting 12 frames instead as it grew US flying from their instead.
mercure f-wtcc

klm617

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
The JFK routes are also legacy LTU routes, I believe. Curious if Lufthansa will pick them up or have EuroWings operate them.

The only legacy LTU routes to the States are DUS-RSW and DUS-MIA. While JFK-DUS was launched with LTU branding, it was after the Airberlin acquisition.

JFK-DUS was a long standing LTU route throughout the 80's.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

LAXintl

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 am

MAH4546 wrote:

DUS-LAX/SFO go back to L-1011 days. While SFO was dropped by LT for a period, LAX operated consistently since 1980s.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 am

mercure1 wrote:
As stated some of the Berlin cuts were planned already, just the timing was moved up. Obviously TXL longhaul has been loss making got AB.

Remember only back in July, AB announced it would trim is TXL longhaul fleet to mere 5 frames, with DUS base getting 12 frames instead as it grew US flying from their instead.

TXL just isn't suited for long haul to medium/short haul connections. The temporary structures at the far end of the terminal are not able to handle the volume of traffic. I arrived on AB 7249 from JFK earlier this month, before the insolvency, and was stuck in an hour long passport control line with plenty of passengers who were headed to points beyond, including Poland, Israel, Italy, and Vienna, and some connections were missed despite our flight being on time. You are correct, the TXL cuts were announced earlier this year. Very sad. I enjoyed my one and probably only flight on AB. Guess I was lucky. Had a nice plane (D-ABYC) and a good crew and sat in XL.

dubaiamman243

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:12 am

Berlin - Abu Dhabi last flight is on 17SEP and Berlin - Chicago on 30SEP
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

MAH4546

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:46 am

klm617 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

JFK-DUS was a long standing LTU route throughout the 80's.

Key word 80s. It did not operate in the late 90s or early 00s. I forget if LAX operated continuously I thought it was also suspended at some point around 2001/2002.
a.

KICT

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 am

Do they still plan on operating DUS-MCO?
People are saying. Believe me.

SCQ83

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 am

I think next week things could change.

Since Friday is Sept 1st, the real "back to school" season starts on Monday.

Most German families should be back in Germany and the holiday traffic would take a seasonal hit by that date. Air Berlin went bankrupt on August 15 (I flew them that day) which is the real peak-peak holiday in most of Europe (August 15 being a Bank Holiday in Catholic countries in Europe and some Catholic areas in Germany - notably Bavaria / Munich -). Even the Italians have a name for that Bank Holiday (Ferragosto). Many holiday airports in Europe (and Air Berlin is mostly a holiday carrier) have their busiest day around that date.

IMO the German government just tried to keep Air Berlin on coma for those two August weeks when traffic is at its peak and finding other carriers with free planes to transport stranded passengers in Mallorca or Miami would be more complicated.

In September things should be easier for them.

bohica

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 am

NichCage wrote:
TXL will have Miami and New York-JFK only, for a total of 2 routes.

I just saw on my facebook page that AB is no longer accepting reservations for MIA-TXL after November 2. I tried to make dummy bookings MIA-TXL in late November and everything is thru DUS. No more nonstop flights MIA-TXL. JFK still has a nonstop to TXL.

cougar15

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:10 am

Looking at the german news on the whole AB Saga, there is no point in them maintaining these services, even if they were assured/Covered due to the Govt. Loan as there would simply be no bookings. Every day there are scary articles on german mass media, who on earth would have booked a seat on these services, so no point in keeping them running.
some you lose, others you can´t win!

MAH4546

Re: Air Berlin Axes Numerous Long Haul Routes (DUS & TX

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:21 am

bohica wrote:
NichCage wrote:
TXL will have Miami and New York-JFK only, for a total of 2 routes.

I just saw on my facebook page that AB is no longer accepting reservations for MIA-TXL after November 2. I tried to make dummy bookings MIA-TXL in late November and everything is thru DUS. No more nonstop flights MIA-TXL. JFK still has a nonstop to TXL.

And everything else, including TXL-JFK, is only sold in full fare classes. So they've essentially stopped selling long haul for winter 2017/18 for the moment, despite official word otherwise.

I imagine Lufthansa could quickly jump into DUS-JFK/MIA and JFK-TXL and maybe use Eurowings for DUS-RSW and MIA-TXL, which are large leisure local markets that I don't see them ignoring.
a.

filipair

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 am

This is sad. LH Group gains even more market share in Central Europe, monopolizing legacy connections in the region. Ticket prices will skyrocket in markets where Air Berlin provided price relief. Sigh. But the writing was on the wall. Brandenburg has been mysteriously delayed for years, and the airline that needed it most is getting swallowed up by the market leader in Germany. German anti-monopoly authorities see nothing wrong with this - of course. European commission will approve state aid - of course.

Newbiepilot

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 am

filipair wrote:
This is sad. LH Group gains even more market share in Central Europe, monopolizing legacy connections in the region. Ticket prices will skyrocket in markets where Air Berlin provided price relief. Sigh. But the writing was on the wall. Brandenburg has been mysteriously delayed for years, and the airline that needed it most is getting swallowed up by the market leader in Germany. German anti-monopoly authorities see nothing wrong with this - of course. European commission will approve state aid - of course.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the situation, but Air Berlin fares were unprofitably low. I don't know much about fares within Central Europe, but for Transatlantic, Air Berlin was always one of the cheaper options along with Icelandair, TAP, Aer Lingus, LOT and Norwegian. Compared to what we pay in the United States, I have never felt fares in Europe are all that expensive. I can see why the transatlantic network wasn't profitable. Air Berlin was consistently hundreds cheaper than full service alternatives.

NichCage

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

I have another question hopefully someone can answer: why did Air Berlin end long haul flights from MUC? I think they flown to Varadero, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, Montego Bay, Barbados, etc.

Varsity1

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:57 pm

filipair wrote:

Airfares in Europe are unsustainably low. Cheaper than trains in most cases. Not a single Euro air carrier is making risk adjusted returns as a result.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm

I hope someone fills the void for Germany- Fort Myers service if all long haul is gone soon which I suspect it will be.

LHUSA

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:06 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
I hope someone fills the void for Germany- Fort Myers service if all long haul is gone soon which I suspect it will be.

I would think this would be an obvious choice for LH/Eurowings to pick up. After all, Eurowings seems to have had trouble finding routes that stick. This would be a solid optoin.

aemoreira1981

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 pm

TXL could be operated in a W pattern to JFK, but that may be the only long haul route worth running from TXL if LH takes over. DUS could be a third long haul hub allowing for LH to not dedicate an oddball to fly DUS-EWR:

bohica

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 pm

LHUSA wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

I would think this would be an obvious choice for LH/Eurowings to pick up. After all, Eurowings seems to have had trouble finding routes that stick. This would be a solid optoin.

A couple months ago EW announced they were starting MUC-RSW and CGN-RSW and discontinuing MIA and MCO starting April 2018.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:18 pm

bohica wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

A couple months ago EW announced they were starting MUC-RSW and CGN-RSW and discontinuing MIA and MCO starting April 2018.

I knew about the MIA and MCO closures but didn't know about RSW coming online. Great news!

vinaixa

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:11 pm

In the afternoon of Wednesday the 23rd of August I saw 3 different air Berlin planes at LAX. I can imagine 1 was from TXL and the other one from DUS, but couldn't make up my mind about the third one. Does anyone know? The third one was almost all white except for the wingtip where airberlin.com could be read.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos