Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual763
Topic Author

United CEO Oscar Munoz Matches Up To $1Mil w/ own Money

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 am

With all of the negative publicity United's gotten lately, it's nice to see them receiving recognition for such a good deed by their CEO. Certainly no recognition was needed, and he did not make this public himself. Bravo Oscar!

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/08/3 ... llion.html
From flying to the NOTAM office

atlflyer

Re: United CEO Oscar Munoz Matches Up To $1Mil w/ own Money

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:12 pm

That's awesome. He seems like a really good guy. Most United employees seem to like him too.

Eirules

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 pm

A lovely gesture from someone who seems very genuine
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

ordpark

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:48 pm

I've been with United for close to 45 years...seen a LOT of CEO's and believe me, he's the real deal.....genuinely good guy and really gets the concept of taking care of employees!

jayunited

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:48 pm

ual763 wrote:
With all of the negative publicity United's gotten lately, it's nice to see them receiving recognition for such a good deed by their CEO. Certainly no recognition was needed, and he did not make this public himself. Bravo Oscar!

It isn't just that he is donating and matching employees contributions to help our coworkers in and around Houston but he also updated United disaster policy. When a station or a work site is closed because of a disaster employees will now be paid for all days their site is closed. Before the policy was employees were paid for one day only this was the policy under Smisek when Super Storm Sandy hit the the Northeast and when Chicago was shut down in 2011 because of the blizzard. The reason why employees really stand behind and rally behind Oscas is because of moments like this, in the letter sent to all employees he stated employees effected by Harvey shouldn't have to worry about their personal finances meaning their paycheck would now be short because their work site is closed. Instead United has modified the policy and all employees will be receiving their full paycheck.

This guys is genuine, he is the real deal, and he is really trying to change culture here at United for the employees and for our customers as well.

TerminalD

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 pm

ual763 wrote:

I'm going to bet he is pledging unsold company stock. While it is a nice move, I can bet there will be large tax advantages that may end up costing him pennies on the dollar.

Flighty

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 pm

TerminalD wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I'm going to bet he is pledging unsold company stock. While it is a nice move, I can bet there will be large tax advantages that may end up costing him pennies on the dollar.

There's no real reason why Munoz should allow the comfortable government class to vampire away his donations to charity.

Super80Fan

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Oscar is a great guy and a great CEO for United. It's the awful shareholders and Kirby who are ruining the airline.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Flighty

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Oscar is a great guy and a great CEO for United. It's the awful shareholders and Kirby who are ruining the airline.

This is pure comedy when you combine it with the above post "Munoz always takes care of employees." Taking care of employees is not the CEO's goal. Taking care of shareholders is the CEO's main goal. Taking care of CUSTOMERS is a strong #2. Employees, many of them have the best job they will ever have. That is a success too.

Trk1

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Oscar is doing a great job.

United shareholder and a human with dignity --many on this post could use some

Super80Fan

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 pm

Flighty wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

This is pure comedy when you combine it with the above post "Munoz always takes care of employees." Taking care of employees is not the CEO's goal. Taking care of shareholders is the CEO's main goal. Taking care of CUSTOMERS is a strong #2. Employees, many of them have the best job they will ever have. That is a success too.

Yep shareholders are selfish and act in their self interest. I would know, I am one in a couple companies. Oscar does a good job with the company on almost all aspects, completely different approach from previous CEO's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

winginit

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Flighty wrote:
Taking care of employees is not the CEO's goal. Taking care of shareholders is the CEO's main goal.

Such is the very sad reality of the modern corporation. It wasn't always like this.

Good for Oscar, seems a genuinely good guy.

flyguy84

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

Not really the thread for this but not exactly sure how Kirby is ruining an airline that was already pretty decimated. If anything, he's building it back up.
SFO

Sightseer

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't really have a strong opinion on UA one way or the other, having never flown them, but Oscar really does seem to get it in ways that Smisek never did. This is a good gesture, regardless of how it's ultimately paid for.

b747400erf

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Flighty wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
ual763 wrote:

There's no real reason why Munoz should allow the comfortable government class to vampire away his donations to charity.

Truly a genius comment, governments do nothing for charity...

b747400erf

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Flighty wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

That is not the job of CEO. You are just posting a libertarian religion. All your comments are pulled from our lord and saviour Milton Friedman.

jetmechanicdave
Head Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm

What a guy, to come through like that. :)
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

wjcandee

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:58 pm

jayunited wrote:
ual763 wrote:
he also updated United disaster policy. When a station or a work site is closed because of a disaster employees will now be paid for all days their site is closed. Before the policy was employees were paid for one day only this was the policy under Smisek when Super Storm Sandy hit the the Northeast and when Chicago was shut down in 2011 because of the blizzard. The reason why employees really stand behind and rally behind Oscas is because of moments like this, in the letter sent to all employees he stated employees effected by Harvey shouldn't have to worry about their personal finances meaning their paycheck would now be short because their work site is closed. Instead United has modified the policy and all employees will be receiving their full paycheck.

Wouldn't this change have to be negotiated with the unions? Wouldn't this benefit need to be bargained for collectively? I haven't looked at the RLA on this, but it just seems weird that a substantial union employer could just give employees more money, regardless of the good intent behind it. Anything that makes the CEO look good tends to undermine the usual "management is evil" paradigm that many unions (but not all) foment, so I am surprised that they would be in favor of this unless they are included in it somehow. All it would take is some kind of negotiated side-letter, I think, but I think the union may have to be involved and would want to share in the glory.

flyguy84

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 pm

wjcandee wrote:
jayunited wrote:
ual763 wrote:
he also updated United disaster policy. When a station or a work site is closed because of a disaster employees will now be paid for all days their site is closed. Before the policy was employees were paid for one day only this was the policy under Smisek when Super Storm Sandy hit the the Northeast and when Chicago was shut down in 2011 because of the blizzard. The reason why employees really stand behind and rally behind Oscas is because of moments like this, in the letter sent to all employees he stated employees effected by Harvey shouldn't have to worry about their personal finances meaning their paycheck would now be short because their work site is closed. Instead United has modified the policy and all employees will be receiving their full paycheck.

Wouldn't this change have to be negotiated with the unions? Wouldn't this benefit need to be bargained for collectively? I haven't looked at the RLA on this, but it just seems weird that a substantial union employer could just give employees more money, regardless of the good intent behind it. Anything that makes the CEO look good tends to undermine the usual "management is evil" paradigm that many unions (but not all) foment, so I am surprised that they would be in favor of this unless they are included in it somehow. All it would take is some kind of negotiated side-letter, I think, but I think the union may have to be involved and would want to share in the glory.

No. It's a change to company policy which is not covered by union contracts.
SFO

B737900ER

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm

I guess you can't win no matter what with some people. Around here it's like give a guy a hundred dollar bill and he complains that it's green.

msiebert09

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:12 pm

As someone who is currently flooded in as a result of Harvey, I sure appreciate ANY amount of money anyone cares to donate. A question that i pose to the haters on here, have you donated anything? Time, money, an airboat? Sorry that this has to be my first post after lurking for so many years, but folks, really? Put your money (or your time, or your airboat) where your post is.

CriticalPoint

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:45 pm

wjcandee wrote:
jayunited wrote:
ual763 wrote:

It actually is negotiated with the pilots and currently in the United Pilot Agreement.

dennis2380

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:49 pm

I ve been there 30 years, he s the only ceo that has done this, but where the money is going to we care. this is a part brought from the continental side, i hope its gotten better because in the allison storm they turned employees down that needed help because they told them they did not qualify for help with their home flooded.

flyguy84

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jayunited wrote:

It actually is negotiated with the pilots and currently in the United Pilot Agreement.

I'm sure ALPA will find a way to grieve it.
SFO

CriticalPoint

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:55 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I'm sure ALPA will find a way to grieve it.

Im not sure what your issue is but there is nothing to greive........its black and white requirement from the company and they are complying. But this is off topic

VCEflyboy

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:14 pm

Flighty wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

He is seeing the big picture. Happy employees translates into happy customers meaning bigger profits.
Unlike other CEOs that are racing the way to he bottom, cutting and trimming everything and really damaging the employees' morale. Making employees feel appreciated is a great way to improve the company culture and empower employees to offer better customer service.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:04 am

CriticalPoint wrote:

There it is. Makes sense. Thanks for the knowledgeable input! That doesn't mean that he's not a good guy for perhaps telling his negotiators to offer the change for nothing in return, but I couldn't imagine that it didn't have to somehow be part of the contract or an agreed amendment.

iamlucky13

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 am

TerminalD wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I think even with incentive stock options, the long term capital gains rate still applies. That's part of the reason stock options are popular as a form of bonus for highly compensated employees - they have low tax impact.

In that case, over the long term the impact trends towards 85 cents on the dollar.(I think he owes a higher rate on the initial value of the stock, but the lower rate on gains).

So I, an average Joe, actually potentially see a lower net cost rate for my deductible charitable contributions made from cash than a millionaire making them from stocks.

BobPatterson

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 am

Flighty wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

You are confused, again, by what is vs. what should be.

Putting shareholder concerns (short-term) ahead of employee concerns (long-term) is bad corporate policy.

Corporate wealth should be shared between the two groups, shareholders and employees.

Shareholder benefits can be achieved only through the actions of employees.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

B737900ER

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:12 am

[twoid][/twoid]
wjcandee wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

There it is. Makes sense. Thanks for the knowledgeable input! That doesn't mean that he's not a good guy for perhaps telling his negotiators to offer the change for nothing in return, but I couldn't imagine that it didn't have to somehow be part of the contract or an agreed amendment.

I can only speak for the mechanics contract. Our contract states that we only get paid for the first day of the station closure. But we are getting paid for all days. It's already on the time cards. No negotiations. Just doing the right thing. You don't need a contact to tell you how to act like a human.

jeffrey1970

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:39 am

I think this is good.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

wjcandee

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:01 am

B737900ER wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
wjcandee wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

I can only speak for the mechanics contract. Our contract states that we only get paid for the first day of the station closure. But we are getting paid for all days. It's already on the time cards. No negotiations. Just doing the right thing. You don't need a contact to tell you how to act like a human.

Just so it's clear: I agree completely. United should absolutely do this. Because it's the right thing to do. And if your union isn't objecting, then they are doing the right thing, too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos