Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WPvsMW

Re: Southwest to Hawaii ---- Theories

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Bait and switch will damage WN's reputation in the Islands. Long memories here, and could lower local resistance to a mainland carrier basing an interisland fleet in the Islands.

QANTAS747-438

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Bait and switch will damage WN's reputation in the Islands. Long memories here, and could lower local resistance to a mainland carrier basing an interisland fleet in the Islands.

In WNs defense, they never claimed to have any news. It's all been rampant speculation by the internet.
Last edited by QANTAS747-438 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

BMWdrvr75

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 pm

WPvsMW wrote:

Honestly it serves the boys in Dallas right! This Hawaii song and dance it getting really old.....
We Make Flying Easy......Come fly the Silver Bird........Something Special in the Air......

allegiantflyer

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 pm

WPvsMW wrote:

WN isn't interested in their local Hawaii reputation, so they likely do not care. they want to take feed away from AS in cali. They will market in within their largest west coast markets instead of targeting Hawaii locals.

I completely agree this "Hawaii talk" for the last 15 years is going to damage their reputation, and first impressions are everything.

I myself am shocked/not shocked about today. All the ducks seemed lined up, but then again, WN is the most rumor-esque filled company in the industry.
Last edited by allegiantflyer on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airplaneboy

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm

[*]
WPvsMW wrote:

What bait and switch? Southwest Airlines never announced services to Hawaii. They've only ever publicly stated they intend to serve Hawaii in the future- THAT'S IT. It's the media and message boards like this website that have been speculating when Southwest will fly to Hawaii.

wnflyguy

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Well still nothing from HNL.
I think everyone that's a FAN of WN were really let down today.
It's was 7 yrs ago WN got everyone excited and ready for Hawaii service.
Then pushed it back to 2018 with the MAX.
Now the MAX will go in to service on October 1st.
With this sneaky Hawaiian conference everyone was like Heck ya been waiting for this day!

They want to capture their core California Strong passengers this was the Golden Opportunity!

Now it's more of a HUGE PR FAIL and MISS.
Because if I was one of the thousand companies at the conference I would be like Southwest really had a chance to hit a grand slam and gain tons of new business opportunities.
But show up finally after 7 yrs weeks before your new plane of wonder is about to go in service and have nothing.
It would make me rethink maybe I should give up hope on the Texas wonder and Reinvest FLY local FLY Hawaiian.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

BMWdrvr75

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

WN isn't interested in their local Hawaii reputation, so they likely do not care. they want to take feed away from AS in cali. They will market in within their largest west coast markets instead of targeting Hawaii locals.

I completely agree this "Hawaii talk" for the last 15 years is going to damage their reputation, and first impressions are everything.

Even the California frequent flyers are going to get tired of this WN Hawaii Non-sense. Loyalty only goes so far and we all know by the way of AirCal ala American and PSA ala USAir it doesn’t last long if WN contiues to tweek and cut schedules, make false promises. Californians want Hawaii and they want to use the FF points on WN. Bottom line is if WN continues not to produce and continue to mumble about Hawaii - their dream of being the worlds most loved and most flow airline is going out the door. WN might have tons of frequency between LA and the Bay area.....However they do not fly to as many west coast destinations as Alaska......and they still DO NOE SEREVE HAWAII but have been talking about it since before the 737-800.
Last edited by BMWdrvr75 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We Make Flying Easy......Come fly the Silver Bird........Something Special in the Air......

flydulles

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 pm

maybe they do it tomorrow or Friday this goes till 22nd looks like ? http://www.globaltourismsummithawaii.co ... 5f805.aspx

BMWdrvr75

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
With this sneaky Hawaiian conference everyone was like Heck ya been waiting for this day!

They want to capture their core California Strong passengers this was the Golden Opportunity!

Now it's more of a HUGE PR FAIL and MISS.
Because if I was one of the thousand companies at the conference I would be like Southwest really had a chance to hit a grand slam and gain tons of new business opportunities.
But show up finally after 7 yrs weeks before your new plane of wonder is about to go in service and have nothing.
It would make me rethink maybe I should give up hope on the Texas wonder and Reinvest FLY local FLY Hawaiian.

Flyguy

Or fly Alaska!!!!!

flydulles

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Courious If we don't get any news from today thru like Friday is this over?

QANTAS747-438

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 pm

flydulles wrote:
Courious If we don't get any news from today thru like Friday is this over?

No, my money is on the Company event in LA in October.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

ADrum23

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm

This is getting ridiculous. What the heck is WN trying to do here? They are the largest domestic air service carrier and they STILL don't fly to Hawaii?

To WN: What are you trying to prove here? You should have been to Hawaii years ago. Stop making excuses and get going on Hawaiian service already, and while you're at it, can you PLEASE start codesharing with other airlines? Stop trying to isolate yourselves.

flydulles

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm

what happens if we go though rest of year like by Christmas / news years week with no news this thing over?
Last edited by flydulles on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airplaneboy

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:08 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Now it's more of HUGE PR FAIL and MISS.
Because if I was one of the thousand companies at the conference I would be like Southwest really had a chance to hit a grand slam and gain tons of business opportunities.
It would make me rethink maybe I should give up hope of the Texas wonder and Reinvest FLY local FLY Hawaiian.

Flyguy

No one will know whether Southwest ever intended to announce Hawaii service a few weeks ago pre-Hurricane Harvey, or whether they had intended to announce service today (but for unknown reasons these plans changed). Southwest's sponsorship of the Global Tourism Summit is significant in and of itself, however. It gives Southwest even greater media exposure in the islands and within the travel & tourism industry. It also signals that Hawaii services are most definitely (almost?) imminent.

There might be a few reasons any service announcements may have been postponed (if there were previous plans to announce service). There could be issues with ETOPS certification, and also keep in mind that Southwest's mechanics' union has been in contract negotiations for almost 5 years and there might be aspects of the ETOPS maintainance program that are not currently addressed in the mechanics' contract.

77H

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Now it's more of HUGE PR FAIL and MISS.
Because if I was one of the thousand companies at the conference I would be like Southwest really had a chance to hit a grand slam and gain tons of business opportunities.
It would make me rethink maybe I should give up hope of the Texas wonder and Reinvest FLY local FLY Hawaiian.

Flyguy

No one will know whether Southwest ever intended to announce Hawaii service a few weeks ago pre-Hurricane Harvey, or whether they had intended to announce service today (but for unknown reasons these plans changed). Southwest's sponsorship of the Global Tourism Summit is significant in and of itself, however. It gives Southwest even greater media exposure in the islands and within the travel & tourism industry. It also signals that Hawaii services are most definitely (almost?) imminent.

There might be a few reasons any service announcements may have been postponed (if there were previous plans to announce service). There could be issues with ETOPS certification, and also keep in mind that Southwest's mechanics' union has been in contract negotiations for almost 5 years and there might be aspects of the ETOPS maintainance program that are not currently addressed in the mechanics' contract.

Precisely. WN was the largest sponsor of a Global Tourism Summit. I think many people read in to the fact that it just so happened to be in Hawaii. Tourism Industry representatives from all over the country and the world are at the event. WN is probably looking for exposure, period. Doesn't necessarily have to be Hawaiian related tourism.

The unfortunate thing is that by the time WN does start service, HA, and the US3's Hawaii service expansions will already be in full swing and the AS/VX merger will be complete. They will face a steeper hill trying to finding growth opportunities in the market. The thing about Hawaii is that airline seat offerings need to be somewhat in line with hotel and vacation rental offerings. There have been articles circulating for months that hotel room capacity is falling behind air seat capacity (especially on Oahu) and the state continues to find ways to owning a rental property a less worthwhile investment each year.

77H

HeeseokKoo

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 pm

There's an evidence photo on Flyertalk, a Hawaiian theme decoration at LAX gate 18 podium. Don't give up !

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwe ... ta-28.html

flydulles

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 pm

I LOVE Southwest but if we don't hear anything by like christmas new years time frame time to forget it and fly united to Hawaii?

allegiantflyer

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:
There's an evidence photo on Flyertalk, a Hawaiian theme decoration at LAX gate 18 podium. Don't give up !

There is also decorations at a gate in SJC I heard 2 days ago, but I heard its just for spirit week because WED is tropical themed? correct me if I'm wrong. It was why there was speculation, I'm sure it could just be a coincidence if nothing happens.
Last edited by allegiantflyer on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

QANTAS747-438

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:

It's Spirit Week at WN. Across the country, today is Aloha Shirt day. So every city should have this. It was also a reason people thought today would be an announcement, what better day than when everyone is dressed up?

HeeseokKoo

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:
HeeseokKoo wrote:

There is also decorations at a gate in SJC I heard 2 days ago, but I heard its just for spirit week because WED is Hawaiian themed? correct me if I'm wrong, someone also suggested that pineapples are the symbol of hospitality, the focus of spirit week.

Ah, then just like many Hawaiian media, I thought of any small movement by WN as the 'sign'. Thanks for correcting me.

flydulles

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm

i ask noting trying to make a joke...... if we don't hear anything by say Christmas / newyears time frame time to give up and fly to Hawaii on united

FATFlyer

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 pm

77H wrote:
Precisely. WN was the largest sponsor of a Global Tourism Summit. I think many people read in to the fact that it just so happened to be in Hawaii. Tourism Industry representatives from all over the country and the world are at the event. WN is probably looking for exposure, period. Doesn't necessarily have to be Hawaiian related tourism.

Just FYI, this event used to be called the Hawaii Tourism Conference (sponsored by the Hawaii Tourism Authority) and has been held for years. They renamed it the Global Tourism Summit just this year. It didn't just happen to be in Hawaii this year.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

kiowa

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 pm

I fear swa to Hawaii will happen soon enough. I dread flying on a 737 for over 2 hours and I also do not like southwest but I am sure the swa employees are very excited about the potential.

Airplanebrain

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 am

Dallas Business Journal Article on Southwest to Hawaii
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ts-to.html

wnflyguy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 am

QANTAS747-438 wrote:
HeeseokKoo wrote:

It's Spirit Week at WN. Across the country, today is Aloha Shirt day. So every city should have this. It was also a reason people thought today would be an announcement, what better day than when everyone is dressed up?

I had someone from WN message me that "The pineapple is the international symbol of Hospitality. Hits Hawaii theme Spirit week! "

My reply was "WN hosting a Travel Summit in Hawaii turn everyone upside down! "

"Guess no cake for Anyone ! "

Her reply was "it's still in the oven and it will
Come out when it's ready. Plus we still have the ETOPS to frost!"

Good play on words and made me a little less sad!
Well played WN media watch dogs!

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

flydulles

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 am

wnflyguy do you still expect something like announcement ect. before christmas / new years ? or is that even unlikely?
Last edited by flydulles on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BMWdrvr75

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 am

flydulles wrote:
wnflyguy do you still expect something like announcement ect. before christmas / new years ?

It has been in the oven for 15 years.............

wnflyguy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:59 am

flydulles wrote:
wnflyguy do you still expect something like announcement ect. before christmas / new years ?

As much as I truly wanted to believe all this hype.
My money going on the 7377MAX in 2019.
Out of all the hundreds of schedule predictions,rumors and speculation since the AirTran merger. This was by far the most hopeful speculation. It was Like all the ducks were in a row and WN was finally ready to take the leap!

WN company Spirit partys have almost never had a history of any big announcements so I'm not holding my breath on that either.

If it's doesn't get announced on OCT 1 first day of the MAX revenue service doing the original Texas triangle DAL-HOU-SAT-DAL then I wouldn't expect anything the rest of the year!

Flyguy

asteriskceo

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:02 am

BMWdrvr75 wrote:
flydulles wrote:

SWA doesn't have ovens onboard LOL—but, the announcement will come before the end of the year.

Side note: I find this topic incredibly boring—little VX made Hawaii look like a cake walk. I'm more interested in an overhaul of the WN product, but that's even less likely than Hawaii.

77H

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 am

FATFlyer wrote:
77H wrote:

Just FYI, this event used to be called the Hawaii Tourism Conference (sponsored by the Hawaii Tourism Authority) and has been held for years. They renamed it the Global Tourism Summit just this year. It didn't just happen to be in Hawaii this year.

I stand corrected. And to think I missed this living just a few blocks away from the Convention Center.

flydulles

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 am

looks like the next schedule release is pushed back to Nov 2 will cover june 5th aug12?? https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-sc ... TSCHEDULES
could this hawaii thing have done enough to push it back ?
Last edited by flydulles on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

BMWdrvr75

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 am

asteriskceo wrote:
BMWdrvr75 wrote:
flydulles wrote:

SWA doesn't have ovens onboard LOL—but, the announcement will come before the end of the year.

Side note: I find this topic incredibly boring—little VX made Hawaii look like a cake walk. I'm more interested in an overhaul of the WN product, but that's even less likely than Hawaii.

I can guarantee a product overhaul will never happen......Southwest LOVES their trays and service....they think it is the best in the industry....They will spend millions to modify galleys so not to use a cart like the 'other guys.' The only way this would happen is if another airline bought WN.

737max8

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:19 am

Why do people think Hawaii and the 737-MAX are dependent? They are independent. Will it be a great airplane for it? Sure!
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

airzona11

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am

Obviously a bummer that they didnt announce it, but we are AvGeeks on an Aviation blog, maybe some reactions are a little ridiculous. No loyal/ high value current WN clients are going to stop flying them as a result. If FF mile trips to Hawaii was a priority, they would never have started flying WN in the first place. Reading this thread it appears there is no other way to get to Hawaii since WN wont announce it.

But I digress, I just went on Southwest's website. Clicked Rapid Rewards Travel. There is a button that says "International and Hawaii". Did a dummy booking in November for PHX to HNL roundtrip. It would cost me less Rapid Reward miles than AAdvantage miles to fly on the same AA flight. Or I can use less miles and fly HA. All on nonstop. Guess my RR miles can get me to the islands.

wnflyguy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:34 am

So the emails just keep on coming!

"WN still has plans for Hawaii service.
But WN FIRST NEAR International destination SJU just got impacted by a major Hurricane. PUJ is also closed because of the same Hurricane. NAS is watching closely and so is Turks and Caicos WN next international destination. Then there is MEX that is closed because of a major earthquake.
While others WN family members are under catastrophic events today it wasn't the right time to Celebrate."

This leaves me to believe OCTOBER 1 first day of 737-8MAX revenue service will be the day IF they announce anything!

WN is still a Family Airline.
Maybe the Heart more than just a Paint job!

Fingers crossed.

Flyguy

flydulles

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 am

any body think it's odd didn't make some noise at this Hawaii conference they are at?

airliner371

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 am

wnflyguy wrote:
This leaves me to believe OCTOBER 1 first day of 737-8MAX revenue service will be the day IF they announce anything!

One minute you're crying foul and now you're back on the rumor mill, excited as ever just because you think there is another time that they will announce Hawaii. WN will announce it when they are ready. Hawaii isn't going anywhere...

WPvsMW

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 am

airplaneboy wrote:
[*]
WPvsMW wrote:

What bait and switch? Southwest Airlines never announced services to Hawaii. They've only ever publicly stated they intend to serve Hawaii in the future- THAT'S IT. It's the media and message boards like this website that have been speculating when Southwest will fly to Hawaii.

Consumer perception as to "bait and switch". "10 new ways to Hawaii".
If it were true bait and switch, there's legal liability. FTC action.

wnflyguy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 am

airliner371 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

One minute you're crying foul and now you're back on the rumor mill, excited as ever just because you think there is another time that they will announce Hawaii. WN will announce it when they are ready. Hawaii isn't going anywhere...

Hahahahahaha trust me I'm still disappointed nothing happened today regardless of what Mother Nature thrown at the WN operations.
I'm glad I got some valid feedback or at least better response on why we heard Nothing of value today.
I'm sure I'm not the only one getting this type of response from the WN spin cycle.

Ya I still have High Hopes Hawaii finally happens.
But I'm still not cashing that check yet!
I'm still banking on the post date of 2019.

Hopefully Now on October 1 we all will be proven wrong and we can go back to speculation on when FAT gets WN service or when will FNT or GSP close!

Flyguy

seabosdca

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:56 am

allegiantflyer wrote:
Also, AS didn't fly to Hawaii until 2010??

AS began service to Hawaii in 2007, with a fleet of freshly lei-painted ETOPS 737-800s.

flyfresno

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Hahahahahaha trust me I'm still disappointed nothing happened today regardless of what Mother Nature thrown at the WN operations.
I'm glad I got some valid feedback or at least better response on why we heard Nothing of value today.
I'm sure I'm not the only one getting this type of response from the WN spin cycle.

Ya I still have High Hopes Hawaii finally happens.
But I'm still not cashing that check yet!
I'm still banking on the post date of 2019.

Hopefully Now on October 1 we all will be proven wrong and we can go back to speculation on when FAT gets WN service or when will FNT or GSP close!

Flyguy

Maybe Oct 1 will be the day for FAT too!

FATFlyer

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Hopefully Now on October 1 we all will be proven wrong and we can go back to speculation on when FAT gets WN service

Flyguy

flyfresno wrote:

Maybe Oct 1 is the day WN announces service to Fresno that INCLUDES FAT-HNL 1X or 2X per week. :stirthepot: :spin:
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

flyfresno

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:29 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Hopefully Now on October 1 we all will be proven wrong and we can go back to speculation on when FAT gets WN service

Flyguy

flyfresno wrote:

Maybe Oct 1 is the day WN announces service to Fresno that INCLUDES FAT-HNL 1X or 2X per week. :stirthepot: :spin:

That would be the best service announcement in Fresno's history. The only thing that could top something of that magnitude would be flights to Europe or Asia.

BMWdrvr75

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:17 am

flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

flyfresno wrote:

That would be the best service announcement in Fresno's history. The only thing that could top something of that magnitude would be flights to Europe or Asia.

Oh yea and Palm Springs along with updating and upgrading their inflight product.....NOT

stl07

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:16 am

BMWdrvr75 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

Oh yea and Palm Springs along with updating and upgrading their inflight product.....NOT

And adding assigned seats so that business travelers who want to arrive at their own time to the gate (use a lounge) can actually fly WN without getting a middle seat.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

BMWdrvr75

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 am

stl07 wrote:
BMWdrvr75 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

And adding assigned seats so that business travelers who want to arrive at their own time to the gate (use a lounge) can actually fly WN without getting a middle seat.

Oh boy.....now you are pushing it....that would send the hillbillies ooops I mean senior leaders into a tizzy to offer something that classy.....stop your non-sense.

FA9295

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:52 am

usflyguy wrote:
flydulles wrote:
wonder where they will serve out of hawaii? san diego?

SMF, SJC, OAK, LAX, SAN...

Also probably SFO, PDX, SEA

wnflyguy

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Well the last 737-300 flight is over! Today a celebration of one day only 737-700/800NG aircraft flying. And tomorrow kicks off the MAX!
No Hurricanes anywhere near a WN destination and let's hope mother earth doesn't shake up anything to scrub a Hawaii service announcement!
It's a rather rare to have any announcements on a Sunday morning.
But it's a ALL HANDS on deck for tomorrow Morning celebration in DAL for flight #1 DAL-HOU!
The 737-300 let Gave WN the ability to spread it's wings coast to coast!
Now the MAX gives WN the ability to connect The Dots of Hawaii and the main land!
Will it Happen? Tick tock!

High hopes Flyguy

HeavyMx01

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 pm

The airline with a heart, a company that truly puts their employees and passengers first. If true a classy move to postpone what is considered a major announcement for them while they take care of their employees from Tx-FL-SJU.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos