drdisque
Topic Author
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:09 pm

So on August 23 it showed up on ch-aviation that an airline called Global Ghana Airlines was planning on beginning service on ORD-ACC on Nov 1.

This is somewhat insane.

First, ORD has never had service to West Africa like this. Why of all places did they pick ORD? There is no significant West African population in Chicago.

The aircraft appears to be a 767, but in their booking engine, no operating carrier is noted. There's no way they could get certificated in 2 months, so they are in DOT violation by not noting the operating carrier.

Oh yeah, you can make a booking. You can even make a booking without providing a credit card.

When I make a dummy booking the first 37 rows are blocked - huh? And the rows that are blocked don't have the middle seat shown.

A google search gave an address, which is the office of an executive jet service at MDW.

They appear to have invested in a real computer reservation system, so this isn't a blatant scam.

This service just boggles the mind. I'll be shocked if it actually starts.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm sure it will be very luxurious.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3305
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:01 pm

http://www.flygga.com/

I love Ghana but they have got to stop with the absurd airline ideas like this and Goldstar.

You cannot launch an airline with a few thousand dollars and an office in your basement...
 
User avatar
jnev3289
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:45 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:04 pm

I like their logo at least
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:18 pm

I really wish the Ghanaian government would get together with local investors and set up a public-private flag carrier to serve the nation.

The country is well located and at the right stage in its development for a well-run airline to be a success.

Instead, in the entirety of West Africa only Asky are doing well. This must change.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3990
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Will they codeshare with Smile?
 
User avatar
leleko747
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Their logo and font are beautiful, at least.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 pm

"FlyGGA.com" ??! .. Anyone else notice just how bad that sounds .. considering where the airline is pretending to fly to?

Flygga?
 
BENAir01
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Sounds like fly Gaga, as in lady gaga!
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
Sounds like fly Gaga, as in lady gaga!


Flygga ... sounds like a rapper name!
 
Chaostheory
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Does this have anything to do with a former a.netter who was involved (manager?), if I recall, with Ghana Airways?
 
Cunard
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 pm

Chaostheory wrote:
Does this have anything to do with a former a.netter who was involved (manager?), if I recall, with Ghana Airways?


I believe it's an American businessman based in Chicago who is attempting this so called start up airline.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:32 am

usflyer msp wrote:
You cannot launch an airline with a few thousand dollars and an office in your basement...


NOW you tell me ! ! !
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:06 am

I called there number... an actual American guy answered the phone welcoming me to global Ghana airlines, so they have a real phone number, and a decent looking cell phone friendly website that has a real reservation system..... however, when I questioned him as to whether they have an aircraft, and why they are selling tickets if they have no aircraft, and no FAA approval or any creditation at all, he was evasive and kept avoiding the answer, so I finally said, are you trying to sell me a ticket onboard an aircraft you don't have? He hung up the phone!

Albeit I called 4 separate times, each time it was the same man! So I guess we will see what comes of this
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:56 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
I called there number... an actual American guy answered the phone welcoming me to global Ghana airlines, so they have a real phone number, and a decent looking cell phone friendly website that has a real reservation system..... however, when I questioned him as to whether they have an aircraft, and why they are selling tickets if they have no aircraft, and no FAA approval or any creditation at all, he was evasive and kept avoiding the answer, so I finally said, are you trying to sell me a ticket onboard an aircraft you don't have? He hung up the phone!

Albeit I called 4 separate times, each time it was the same man! So I guess we will see what comes of this



That was the janitor who picked up the phone.
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
http://www.flygga.com/

I love Ghana but they have got to stop with the absurd airline ideas like this and Goldstar.

You cannot launch an airline with a few thousand dollars and an office in your basement...


You "love" Ghana? I'm curious why.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Did you ask him if they have a Frequent Flyer Program? :lol:
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:14 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Did you ask him if they have a Frequent Flyer Program? :lol:


Lol if they do... count me in, just think of all airmiles I can accumulate flying on that non existent aircraft they have, between my favorite cities, Chicago and Accra!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
c933103
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:43 pm

drdisque wrote:
When I make a dummy booking the first 37 rows are blocked - huh? And the rows that are blocked don't have the middle seat shown.

Tried to do dummy booking and no they aren't blocked. They are different class.
The first 2 rows are "First class", row 3-37 are "Royal class", and then the last 5 rows are the cheapest "Family class"
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:47 pm

c933103 wrote:
drdisque wrote:
When I make a dummy booking the first 37 rows are blocked - huh? And the rows that are blocked don't have the middle seat shown.

Tried to do dummy booking and no they aren't blocked. They are different class.
The first 2 rows are "First class", row 3-37 are "Royal class", and then the last 5 rows are the cheapest "Family class"


Sounds odd. It's as if "First Class" is really Business Class, "Royal Class" is really Economy, and "Family Class" is akin to a Basic Economy product.
 
c933103
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 pm

From the about page of that airlines, http://www.flygga.com/about-us.html , "Mr. Johnnie O’Toole is the founder of Global Ghana Airlines, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sister City International Airlines registered on April 2013."
But google searching "Sister City International Airlines" gives barely anything other than a telephone number and an Illinois address
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
c933103
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm

TheLion wrote:
c933103 wrote:
drdisque wrote:
When I make a dummy booking the first 37 rows are blocked - huh? And the rows that are blocked don't have the middle seat shown.

Tried to do dummy booking and no they aren't blocked. They are different class.
The first 2 rows are "First class", row 3-37 are "Royal class", and then the last 5 rows are the cheapest "Family class"


Sounds odd. It's as if "First Class" is really Business Class, "Royal Class" is really Economy, and "Family Class" is akin to a Basic Economy product.

The fare difference per leg between "First Class" and "Royal Class" on the site is only about 25 and the fare difference between "Royal Class" and "Family Class" is like 50, out of a total of 600-800. (Also, they say first bag is free to their passengers but second bag cost US$100. Any more bags cost US$200 each

Also, another odd thing about the seat map is that, although it appears like an 7-abrast aircraft with middle seat of row 1-37 being blocked, however, in front of the front row, there is an example typical 3-3 seats labelling legend that looks like from a narrowbody aircraft.

And from their FAQ, they said they allow emotion support animal, but those animal would be handled as checked baggage.

What's the aircraft model on their twitter homepage https://twitter.com/GlobalGhanaAir ?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
c933103
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Two weeks ago back in August 18, the airlines posted a message on their facebook account saying they are giving away 10 round trip tickets to users who liked and shared the post. So far 1284 people liked the post but only 29 people shared it. Is this because Ghanan people not used to share posts on facebook, or simply no one interested in getting free air travel ticket?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:11 pm

c933103 wrote:
Two weeks ago back in August 18, the airlines posted a message on their facebook account saying they are giving away 10 round trip tickets to users who liked and shared the post. So far 1284 people liked the post but only 29 people shared it. Is this because Ghanan people not used to share posts on facebook, or simply no one interested in getting free air travel ticket?

...or because no one is interested in being defrauded?...
 
c933103
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Saw someone on another blog mentioned that, in the airlines' about page, it said: "Mr. O’Toole’s career in aviation started more than 30 years ago, when he attended the Aerospace Institute in Chicago where he majored in Aeronautical Engineering, with the goal of working for the McDonald Douglas commercial aircraft manufacturing company."
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
User avatar
LamboAston
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:44 pm

c933103 wrote:
What's the aircraft model on their twitter homepage https://twitter.com/GlobalGhanaAir ?

A321/A320
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:16 pm

c933103 wrote:
Saw someone on another blog mentioned that, in the airlines' about page, it said: "Mr. O’Toole’s career in aviation started more than 30 years ago, when he attended the Aerospace Institute in Chicago where he majored in Aeronautical Engineering, with the goal of working for the McDonald Douglas commercial aircraft manufacturing company."

:lol: Good catch!!! Doing what? Chicken Wings? No, wait, that would be KFC Douglas...
 
User avatar
alex0easy
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Where did you guys do the dummy booking? When I tried to book on their website it showed no flights for the dates I selected?
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Saw someone on another blog mentioned that, in the airlines' about page, it said: "Mr. O’Toole’s career in aviation started more than 30 years ago, when he attended the Aerospace Institute in Chicago where he majored in Aeronautical Engineering, with the goal of working for the McDonald Douglas commercial aircraft manufacturing company."

:lol: Good catch!!! Doing what? Chicken Wings? No, wait, that would be KFC Douglas...


Why it gotta be chicken wings ???!!
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:31 am

F27500 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Saw someone on another blog mentioned that, in the airlines' about page, it said: "Mr. O’Toole’s career in aviation started more than 30 years ago, when he attended the Aerospace Institute in Chicago where he majored in Aeronautical Engineering, with the goal of working for the McDonald Douglas commercial aircraft manufacturing company."

:lol: Good catch!!! Doing what? Chicken Wings? No, wait, that would be KFC Douglas...


Why it gotta be chicken wings ???!!

Duuh...it's aviation...
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:46 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
:lol: Good catch!!! Doing what? Chicken Wings? No, wait, that would be KFC Douglas...


Why it gotta be chicken wings ???!!

Duuh...it's aviation...



He ^^ didn't get it.
 
drdisque
Topic Author
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:11 am

alex0easy wrote:
Where did you guys do the dummy booking? When I tried to book on their website it showed no flights for the dates I selected?


Remember that you have to select dates in November or later.
 
User avatar
alex0easy
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 am

drdisque wrote:
alex0easy wrote:
Where did you guys do the dummy booking? When I tried to book on their website it showed no flights for the dates I selected?


Remember that you have to select dates in November or later.


Got it. I selected November, which showed no flights; then I tried next year in March, still no flights.
Then somehow it worked for December.
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 am

F27500 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Why it gotta be chicken wings ???!!

Duuh...it's aviation...


He ^^ didn't get it.


hahahaha. Not sure how they managed to cock that one up. Maybe the person who wrote it isn't an aviation person :?:
 
c933103
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Global Ghana Airlines

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Someone claims to be the company's founder responded to some doubts about the airlines in comment section of another blogpost about it.
See http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -airlines/
They are saying they're negotiating final lease term from Boeing... Isn't it less than half month away from their expected service inauguration date?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos