Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L.1011
Topic Author

DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi everybody,

I've found the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report tremendously helpful for understanding how traffic flows around the lower 48 states. I know there are alternate sources like T-100, but they don't show only O&D traffic the way it does. With that in mind, I'm wondering if there are other data sources publicly available which provide the same sort of O&D-only data for:
- Traffic within, and traffic between points in the lower 48 and: Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, USVI, American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands
- Traffic between the lower 48, and the overseas US territory listed above, and international points
I've been searching for it for some time and come up empty-handed.

Thanks in advance!

Midwestindy

Re: DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:24 pm

For Hawaii go to this website: http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/r ... ighlights/

and scroll down to "Hawaii Island by CBSA" or "VISITOR ARRIVALS BY U.S. REGION" and it ranks the US metros by passengers to Hawaii
You can also find passenger numbers from US metros to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui.

Here is the Brookings Institute study which shows the flow of international passengers in and out of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas. It features data describing the scale of these flows and it calls out the international markets where these ties are particularly strong.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/ ... n-america/

Here are Guam's pax numbers for July: https://www.guamvisitorsbureau.com/docs ... ummary.pdf

It also provides JAN-JULY

Goes more in depth with Asian metros, but also has some US mainland numbers.

Here you can find Alaskan numbers: https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/ded ... earch.aspx
Last edited by Midwestindy on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

knope2001

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:24 pm

L.1011 wrote:
Hi everybody,

I've found the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report tremendously helpful for understanding how traffic flows around the lower 48 states. I know there are alternate sources like T-100, but they don't show only O&D traffic the way it does. With that in mind, I'm wondering if there are other data sources publicly available which provide the same sort of O&D-only data for:
- Traffic within, and traffic between points in the lower 48 and: Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, USVI, American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands
- Traffic between the lower 48, and the overseas US territory listed above, and international points
I've been searching for it for some time and come up empty-handed.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I don't think so, though (of course) if there is public data for this stuff anyone else knows of I'll be happy to learn of it!

The Brookings Institute put out a paper with international stats several years back which you'll see people reference here now and then. Unfortunately it's several years old (maybe 2011?) and frankly some of the data in the study just didn't seem reasonable. There were city pairs with nonstop service in the study year where the Brookings numbers just didn't make sense with the nonstop onboard passengers numbers, and that make me doubt the methodology of the whole thing.

Again I hope that somebody comes up with a source I'm not aware of, but I think you may come up dry, unfortunately.

Rdh3e

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 pm

the international data is confidential. The domestic data is publicly available, you just have to be good with data manipulation to get some meaning from the databases.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/Tables.as ... n%20Survey

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos