ahj2000
Topic Author
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Future of Youngstown Airport?

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Hello all,
Now that Allegiant has scheduled its final Youngstown flights, what's next for this little airport?
It is quite close to Akron, but nearby Erie has flights even though it is smaller than Youngstown and only about half an hour further from the nearest airport (Akron vs Buffalo)
Could YNG ever get regional jet service from AA (CLT or ORD) or DL (DTW or ATL)?
Heck, or even ViaAir?
-Andrés Juánez
 
MO11
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:30 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Hello all,
Now that Allegiant has scheduled its final Youngstown flights, what's next for this little airport?
It is quite close to Akron, but nearby Erie has flights even though it is smaller than Youngstown and only about half an hour further from the nearest airport (Akron vs Buffalo)
Could YNG ever get regional jet service from AA (CLT or ORD) or DL (DTW or ATL)?
Heck, or even ViaAir?



Well, since ADI to Chicago didn't work out.......
 
Cush
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:58 pm

I highly doubt it in my opinion. If anyone did serve the airport, it would be one of the ULCC (Spirit, Frontier). The airport still maintains private aircraft and casino charters, and i am sure the occasional Allegiant charter will still show up.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:05 pm

I think someone else will try Florida service from there at some point in the future again. But with AA, DL, and UA all at CAK I don't see any of them going to YNG.

The unmitigated failure that was the YNG-ORD service didn't help. It doesn't matter that it was unbranded service. Branding can't make up for a service that was trending to lose about $4-5MM/year.
 
phluser
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:00 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Hello all,
Now that Allegiant has scheduled its final Youngstown flights, what's next for this little airport?
It is quite close to Akron, but nearby Erie has flights even though it is smaller than Youngstown and only about half an hour further from the nearest airport (Akron vs Buffalo)
Could YNG ever get regional jet service from AA (CLT or ORD) or DL (DTW or ATL)?
Heck, or even ViaAir?


Youngstown is within 60-80 miles of CAK, PIT and CLE.
Erie is 100-120 miles of BUF and CLE and 140 miles to PIT.

Those distance factors help keep service at ERI. The nearest hub for pax flows in most directions would be DL's DTW hub over ORD, but then again all those other airports (CAK, PIT and CLE) are nearby enough. Many might just prefer a nonstop to PIT or CLE and then drive to Youngstown over flying a small RJ on higher fares.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3924
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:05 pm

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/sep/03/f ... ?newswatch

"Officials at Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport say they are in talks with other small airlines to keep commercial service after Allegiant Air announced last week it will discontinue service in January. Officials said Allegiant's departure is not a crippler, because they provided probably less than 5 percent of the airport's operations and there will still be lots of activity with charter and private flights. The Western Reserve Port Authority, which oversees the airport, receives funds from both Mahoning and Trumbull counties through a hotel bed tax, which funds about half the airport’s $2.2 million budget, and also gets revenue from parking fees, operational fees, hangar rentals and terminal leases. “This community deserves an airline,” one official said, adding,"We are never going to be Cleveland or Pittsburgh. We want to keep what we have.”
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
User avatar
YNGguins
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:08 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 am

I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:29 am

Downtown Youngstown is an easy 45 minute drive from PIT and an hour from CLE. Those living in south and west Youngstown are even closer respectively.

It is a tremendous benefit to Youngstown economic development agencies to be able to say they have two major international airports within an hour drive. They need to leverage that instead of trying to make YNG compete with it. YNG should focus on being a great general/corporate aviation airport. Set up an industrial zone on the airport that focuses on corporate aviation and engine maintenance/overhaul, MRO's, etc. Getting Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics was a great win and they should build on that. Look to CKB as an example.
FLYi
 
loisencroach
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:56 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:31 am

Does YNG have a FIS facility? If so, perhaps Apple Vacations to CUN even though they are already at CLE and PIT. But it works at RFD with ORD nearby, so.....
 
KICT
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 am

Why does every airport in the Midwest need airline service? And why do local governments keep throwing money
People are saying. Believe me.
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 am

KICT wrote:
Why does every airport in the Midwest need airline service? And why do local governments keep throwing money


It's a status thing. Just like the medium sized airports fixation on having a transatlantic flight. For YNG to have scheduled airline service allows them, in theory, to put themselves over cities in similar size that don't. It's more of a "mine is better then yours because argument".
 
User avatar
YNGguins
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:08 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:17 am

I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5329
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

^Interesting Vindy article. The ULCC competition has been hard on CAK also. Driving an hour to PIT or CLE sounds daunting until I remember it takes me about that long to get to my "local" airports (DCA, BWI, IAD) most hours of the day.
 
mikeyp224
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:42 pm

loisencroach wrote:
Does YNG have a FIS facility? If so, perhaps Apple Vacations to CUN even though they are already at CLE and PIT. But it works at RFD with ORD nearby, so.....


Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport..
 
loisencroach
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:56 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 pm

mikeyp224 wrote:
loisencroach wrote:
Does YNG have a FIS facility? If so, perhaps Apple Vacations to CUN even though they are already at CLE and PIT. But it works at RFD with ORD nearby, so.....


Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport..


That means nothing. Detroit Metropolitan Airport.John Wayne Airport. TF Green State Airport. Laguardia Airport. There's even a GA airport near Chicago named Bollingbrook Clow International Airport that has no CBPP apparatus. "International" is a marketing tool, and a very smart one, but is not a federal requirement to brand as such.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2069
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 pm

loisencroach wrote:
mikeyp224 wrote:
loisencroach wrote:
Does YNG have a FIS facility? If so, perhaps Apple Vacations to CUN even though they are already at CLE and PIT. But it works at RFD with ORD nearby, so.....


Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport..


That means nothing. Detroit Metropolitan Airport.John Wayne Airport. TF Green State Airport. Laguardia Airport. There's even a GA airport near Chicago named Bollingbrook Clow International Airport that has no CBPP apparatus. "International" is a marketing tool, and a very smart one, but is not a federal requirement to brand as such.


DTW isn't named after John Wayne. It's named after Wayne County, MI.

It sucks for YNG to be losing all passenger services yet again. I guess TOL should be thankful for what they still have.
 
CanesFan
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
loisencroach wrote:
mikeyp224 wrote:

Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport..


That means nothing. Detroit Metropolitan Airport.John Wayne Airport. TF Green State Airport. Laguardia Airport. There's even a GA airport near Chicago named Bollingbrook Clow International Airport that has no CBPP apparatus. "International" is a marketing tool, and a very smart one, but is not a federal requirement to brand as such.


DTW isn't named after John Wayne. It's named after Wayne County, MI.

It sucks for YNG to be losing all passenger services yet again. I guess TOL should be thankful for what they still have.


I believe he was referring to KSNA John Wayne-Orange County Airport.
 
SgtBarone
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
loisencroach wrote:
mikeyp224 wrote:

Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport..


That means nothing. Detroit Metropolitan Airport.John Wayne Airport. TF Green State Airport. Laguardia Airport. There's even a GA airport near Chicago named Bollingbrook Clow International Airport that has no CBPP apparatus. "International" is a marketing tool, and a very smart one, but is not a federal requirement to brand as such.


DTW isn't named after John Wayne. It's named after Wayne County, MI.

It sucks for YNG to be losing all passenger services yet again. I guess TOL should be thankful for what they still have.


The user is referring to John Wayne (Orange County) Airport in California.
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2069
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

SgtBarone wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
loisencroach wrote:

That means nothing. Detroit Metropolitan Airport.John Wayne Airport. TF Green State Airport. Laguardia Airport. There's even a GA airport near Chicago named Bollingbrook Clow International Airport that has no CBPP apparatus. "International" is a marketing tool, and a very smart one, but is not a federal requirement to brand as such.


DTW isn't named after John Wayne. It's named after Wayne County, MI.

It sucks for YNG to be losing all passenger services yet again. I guess TOL should be thankful for what they still have.


The user is referring to John Wayne (Orange County) Airport in California.


Yes indeed SNA is named after John.
 
User avatar
YNGguins
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:08 am

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 am

This is a good read that really dives into the NE OHIO/W. PA ULCC war going on: https://lintvwkbn.files.wordpress.com/2 ... tation.pdf

You can skip til closer to the midway point of the PDF to read about it. The consultant discusses all four airports in the region.
I am PROUD to live in the greatest country on earth: The United States of America!
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5329
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Future of Youngstown Airport?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 am

YNGguins wrote:
This is a good read that really dives into the NE OHIO/W. PA ULCC war going on: https://lintvwkbn.files.wordpress.com/2 ... tation.pdf

You can skip til closer to the midway point of the PDF to read about it. The consultant discusses all four airports in the region.


That's an attention-getter. Thanks for posting it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos