mountainwest90
Topic Author

SLC to Bus Pax to Hardstands

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Just read this press release from SLC airport.

https://slcairport.com/blog/2017/08/slc-airport-to-begin-hardstand-operations/

Had not heard anything about this before. A few questions:

Even with SLC under construction is it really that busy that DL needs this? What is the gate situation like?
Why didn't they just consider moving some of the CRJ7/9 ops over to the E gates? It always seems like there are a few gates available over there.
Where are the gates going to be that they bus passengers from? Where are the hardstands going to be?
Is the plan for this to be more for the regional partners OO/CP or mainline aircraft?

jubguy3

Re: SLC to Bus Pax to Hardstands

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Half of the E gates have been demolished already for the TRP. I'm not sure how badly this had needed but the airport has a design capacity of 12m people but is serving 23m people.

The airport hasn't really released any info beyond the purchase of the buses yet. I'm sure that when they come into operation we will learn more. I think that the airport is specific to use jetbridges with CRJ's.

"Of the 71 gates at SLC Airport, only 55 have jet bridges. The remaining 16 gates are designed for regional jets and unable to accommodate mainline aircraft. Airlines have been moving away from flying regional jets and increasing their use of larger aircraft. Airlines also operate banks of flights to help with connections, which means aircraft arrive within the same time frame creating a demand for gates."

I'm going to infer that this means these will be used for larger aircraft. They could possibly be used for widebodies because right now the airport is limited to using only two gates in the D concourse for widebodies, and the use of those gates also blocks off another gate. Both the CDG and AMS flights come in at the same time (within 15m) which already is a strain on capacity but I do know that SLC is close to capacity as far as widebody gates right now. That being said I don't know why they would want to add a third flight that comes in along with CDG and AMS because the FIS is already having trouble dealing with large amounts of PAX at SLC.

mountainwest90
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:11 am

jubguy3 wrote:
Half of the E gates have been demolished already for the TRP.

Even with the south pier of the E gates demolished every time I've been thru E gates I've seen some gates still open. I believe some gates there are painted with a CRJ7 line. Of course that wouldn't solve the problem of Widebody issues because moving a CRJ7 flight from the B gates to E gates isn't going to open a widebody capable gate.

jubguy3

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:41 am

mountainwest90 wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
Half of the E gates have been demolished already for the TRP.

Even with the south pier of the E gates demolished every time I've been thru E gates I've seen some gates still open. I believe some gates there are painted with a CRJ7 line. Of course that wouldn't solve the problem of Widebody issues because moving a CRJ7 flight from the B gates to E gates isn't going to open a widebody capable gate.

That's essentially the same experience I've had... delta is moving away from regional ops at SLC in favor of mainline ops so these buses are likely going to be used with 737/A320 and up sized aircraft.

That being said, what a "gate" is on the E concourse is a little muddy to define because most of them are just doors on the tarmac right next to each other lol

toltommy

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 am

According to the press release, SLC has purchased a total of 3 buses. Each bus holds a max of 60 pax, plus their carryon bags. No matter what, they won't be doing a lot of parking on the hardstands. Sounds like this is something they did as a "just in case".
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

atypical

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
Half of the E gates have been demolished already for the TRP. I'm not sure how badly this had needed but the airport has a design capacity of 12m people but is serving 23m people.

The airport hasn't really released any info beyond the purchase of the buses yet. I'm sure that when they come into operation we will learn more. I think that the airport is specific to use jetbridges with CRJ's.

"Of the 71 gates at SLC Airport, only 55 have jet bridges. The remaining 16 gates are designed for regional jets and unable to accommodate mainline aircraft. Airlines have been moving away from flying regional jets and increasing their use of larger aircraft. Airlines also operate banks of flights to help with connections, which means aircraft arrive within the same time frame creating a demand for gates."

I'm going to infer that this means these will be used for larger aircraft. They could possibly be used for widebodies because right now the airport is limited to using only two gates in the D concourse for widebodies, and the use of those gates also blocks off another gate. Both the CDG and AMS flights come in at the same time (within 15m) which already is a strain on capacity but I do know that SLC is close to capacity as far as widebody gates right now. That being said I don't know why they would want to add a third flight that comes in along with CDG and AMS because the FIS is already having trouble dealing with large amounts of PAX at SLC.

As I recall D1, D3, D2, D6, & D8 could simultaneously take WBs. Unless they have made a major reconfiguration of the jetways this should still be true.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos