Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9lflyguy
Topic Author

United Employee Critically Injured by Spinning Prop

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:14 am

https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.cbsl ... rport/amp/

Hope she's okay. I'm guessing a CommutAir plane? Only props for UA that would be at EWR.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

DarkSnowyNight

Re: United Employee Critically Injured by Spinning Prop

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 pm

9lflyguy wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/02/united-airlines-employee-struck-by-plane-propeller-at-newark-airport/amp/

Hope she's okay. I'm guessing a CommutAir plane? Only props for UA that would be at EWR.

Or, you know, where ever they fly to from EWR....
It’s perfectly natural to be surprised by something coming at you faster than light. You’d never see it coming anyway. . .

jetmatt777

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:40 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/09/02/united-airlines-employee-struck-by-plane-propeller-at-newark-airport/amp/

Or, you know, where ever they fly to from EWR....

She was injured in EWR. He's saying the airline mustbe CommutAir because they are the only prop operator for UA at EWR.

groundbird

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 pm

"Authorities say the plane was not on a runway at the time of the accident..."

Props to the non-aviation press for sticking to the facts and making sense.

exunited

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:11 pm

She worked for Prime Air who does ground handling and cleaning, not a United employee as the thread title says. Hope for the best for her as a fellow aviation professional.

cokepopper

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:06 pm

How terrible, praying she has a full recovery.
I still remember the young lady who was killed at EWR terminal B, when she walked into the prop of a NW airlink. She was a working ground agent. Early 90's I believe. Terrible

bob75013

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:45 pm

You really cannot see a spinning prop unless you happen to stare right at it. I remember flying into Marion, IL. on a Skyhawk with me in the right seat. The person in the left seat let me out to do something, and left the engine running. I walked back to the plane and almost walked into the prop. I remember saying "whoaaa that was close" to myself. My procedure changed at that moment. Whenever I am left seat I ALWAYS kill the engine while waiting for someone to join me on board.

Hope she wasn't injured badly, and recovers quickly.

Scinfaxi

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Not really sure how this happens. Before you approach any aircraft, it's chocked, engines are shut down/props come to a stop and you are given the thumbs up by the marshaller after the anti collision light/beacon has been switched off by the Captain.

dmg626

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:09 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Scinfaxi wrote:
Not really sure how this happens. Before you approach any aircraft, it's chocked, engines are shut down/props come to a stop and you are given the thumbs up by the marshaller after the anti collision light/beacon has been switched off by the Captain.

Um, ya, sure

Rdh3e

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:30 pm

bob75013 wrote:
You really cannot see a spinning prop unless you happen to stare right at it. I remember flying into Marion, IL. on a Skyhawk with me in the right seat. The person in the left seat let me out to do something, and left the engine running. I walked back to the plane and almost walked into the prop. I remember saying "whoaaa that was close" to myself. My procedure changed at that moment. Whenever I am left seat I ALWAYS kill the engine while waiting for someone to join me on board.

Hope she wasn't injured badly, and recovers quickly.

I've never had a close call like that, but I've always had the mindset of unless you can make positive confirmation and see the props stopped, treat them as if they're moving.

I hope this woman pulls through.

redzeppelin

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:15 am

The article says the prop was moving, but doesn't specify that the engine was running. Any chance that it was simply windmilling quietly in the breeze?

stratosphere

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:21 am

My good friends cousin was a part time ramper for Precision Airlines at EWR it was her last day she was going to work for Northwest Airlines the next day and was killed when she walked into a spinning prop. Very sweet girl I met her you can never be too cautious around props.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/06/nyreg ... eller.html

bob75013

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:17 am

redzeppelin wrote:
The article says the prop was moving, but doesn't specify that the engine was running. Any chance that it was simply windmilling quietly in the breeze?

That's not likely. A windmilling prop rotates slowly enough that it's visible. A windmilling prop might hurt you. One that's engine powered is likely to kill you.

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
She was injured in EWR. He's saying the airline mustbe CommutAir because they are the only prop operator for UA at EWR.

Figured. Was just sort of tongue in cheek.

groundbird wrote:
Props to the non-aviation press for sticking to the facts and making sense.

I see what you did there there.
It’s perfectly natural to be surprised by something coming at you faster than light. You’d never see it coming anyway. . .

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos