Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Wealthy and Celebs get their own private $22 Million private terminal in LAX

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Link/Source: https://www.inc.com/peter-economy/lax-g ... o-you.html

"The first of its kind in the United States, the $22 million facility is a safe haven for celebrities and wealthy flyers who can no longer deal with the routine airport lifestyle that the rest of us have to put up with. Private Suite terminal users at LAX access it through an exclusive entrance, and will find themselves in a pure state of airport luxury. Daybeds, food pantries, prayer rooms, private bathrooms, well-stocked refrigerators--imagine all the comforts you wish your airport had, and now understand they are all in LAX's Private Suite."

Must be nice. I kid of like B6's T5 in JFK as well as AMS, FRA, and HAM.

jetero

Re: Wealthy and Celebs get their own private $22 Million private terminal in LAX

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:22 pm

They will no doubt pay for it, and willingly so. It was definitely a no brainer for LAX.

LAXintl

Re: Wealthy and Celebs get their own private $22 Million private terminal in LAX

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Old news. Been open for several months.

See existing thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=598357
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm

jetero wrote:
They will no doubt pay for it, and willingly so.

It's not really that (relatively) expensive either, at least for now.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm

If they are wealthy, they're at one of the FBOs, I think it's Landmark or Signature. If they use this terminal, mere poseurs of wealth.

GF

Georgetown

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If they are wealthy, they're at one of the FBOs, I think it's Landmark or Signature. If they use this terminal, mere poseurs of wealth.

GF

I think you'd be surprised how many wealthy and celebs do not fly privately. It's one thing to be wealthy, and another entirely different thing to stay that way.
Let's go Hoyas!

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
jetero wrote:
They will no doubt pay for it, and willingly so.

It's not really that (relatively) expensive either, at least for now.

You're 100% correct, it's peanuts!

atcsundevil

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:16 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Old news. Been open for several months.

See existing thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=598357

That was a two year old thread that somehow got bumped three months ago. That thread has been locked and this will remain open to keep the discussion current. We want threads inactive for longer than six months to remain dormant. Rather than move or delete the slew of replies to that thread from three months ago, I'm just leaving it as is for reference.

✈️ atcsundevil

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:24 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

You seem to be speaking more out of perceived stereotypes than any working knowledge of how wealthy people travel.

I'm not exceedingly rich or anything, but I spend every day around people who are:
every single one of my clients are multi-millionaires (they have to be, due to the nature of the sport) and several of them billionaires.

Private jets to them are a simple calculation of expense vs convenience. They'll use private flights when it makes sense for them to do so, but they'll just as quickly ride the US3, VX, AS, or B6... all the time. I've never heard of one of them riding WN, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

And it's not just with flights, it works with most aspects of the market. Hell, one drives a Honda Accord.... but then, he just bought his daughter a $3million show-horse.

It's all relative, and all based on what their preferences are.

MrBretz

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:51 pm

Just to let everyone know, the yearly membership charge is $7500. I'll pass.

nutsaboutplanes

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 am

MrBretz wrote:

And then a 2,500ish per use fee. Absolutely insane.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

tjh8402

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:27 am

LAX772LR wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

You seem to be speaking more out of perceived stereotypes than any working knowledge of how wealthy people travel.

I'm not exceedingly rich or anything, but I spend every day around people who are:
every single one of my clients are multi-millionaires (they have to be, due to the nature of the sport) and several of them billionaires.

Private jets to them are a simple calculation of expense vs convenience. They'll use private flights when it makes sense for them to do so, but they'll just as quickly ride the US3, VX, AS, or B6... all the time. I've never heard of one of them riding WN, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

And it's not just with flights, it works with most aspects of the market. Hell, one drives a Honda Accord.... but then, he just bought his daughter a $3million show-horse.

It's all relative, and all based on what their preferences are.

Agree with LAX. The extra cost of using this terminal is way less than the cost of going from first class to private flight. Plus, the two aren't necessarily separate. I worked at a GA airport FBO and frequently saw private aircraft transporting passengers to major commercial airports so they could catch an international airline flight. There's plenty of people who could afford to fly a King Air from Phoenix or Vegas or a Helicopter from Long Beach to LAX but not a Gulfstream or Falcon to Australia, Hong Kong, or Japan. Plus this is obviously targeted at the Hollywood celebrities who are known to frequent the premium transcon markets and will pay for the extra privacy.

I find it frequent here that people do not understand or appreciate the exteme cost of private travel, especially over longer distances. You're talking multiple five figures for a LAX-NYC transcon and well into six figures for TPAC to charter.
Last edited by tjh8402 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slug71

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 am

If you had that kind of money to throw around, why wouldn't you just fly straight in and out by helicopter or private jet anyway?

tjh8402

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:33 am

Slug71 wrote:
If you had that kind of money to throw around, why wouldn't you just fly straight in and out by helicopter or private jet anyway?

Sure, and then you could use this terminal to connect to your airline flight. A helicopter, PC12, or or CJ won't take you to New York or Boston non stop or in as much comfort as the premium transcon airliners.

UALFAson

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:01 am

I am curious as to how many entertainment types will wind up actually using this terminal/service. Paparazzi taking your photo as you walk through LAX is a quick, easy way to get some fast publicity. When I lived in L.A. and worked in journalism, I had many friends on that side of the biz, and publicists, etc. were often tipping off photographers about when their clients would be arriving/departing.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Seabear

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:13 am

Good to know that the 0.01% are doing so well.

cwa2toa

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:20 am

If I read correctly, the entrance is well hidden behind walls and plants. When people arrive they can't be seen. They can relax and then be driven to their flights across the tarmac. Better than staying in an airline club and being seen by the general public if they crave privacy.
We’ll pick a star
in the twilight canopy
and search the world
for the sights you long to see.
Your heart is young,
you’re alive, so come with me.

TWA, up, up, and away!
:airplane:

fraspotter

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 am

UALFAson wrote:
I am curious as to how many entertainment types will wind up actually using this terminal/service. Paparazzi taking your photo as you walk through LAX is a quick, easy way to get some fast publicity. When I lived in L.A. and worked in journalism, I had many friends on that side of the biz, and publicists, etc. were often tipping off photographers about when their clients would be arriving/departing.

You say it's fast publicity like it's always a good thing. Some of these guys get hounded everywhere they go. It gets old for them real fast I imagine. I just remember being in the vicinity of singer Chris Brown outside of ATL and almost like in a flash mob Paparazzi was all over the place. They were loud and their cameras were flashing non stop. I was probably 20 feet away when it happened and I was getting annoyed and flustered and the cameras weren't even pointed at me. Don't know how they can deal with that all the time.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

santi319

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:30 am

You'll be surprised who flies commercial. If I had that money I would still fly commercial. Two reasons - I love airliners and also I don't think that private aviation is as safe.

KiloRomeoDelta

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:00 am

To those saying celebrities don't fly commercial, go speak to the FAs on all those half a dozen A380s that call at LAX daily, they will regale you with tales of how many Hollywood A-listers they have served. The First Class Suites are wayyy more comfortable than flying halfway across the world on a cramped private jet.

The last time I was chatting with an EK crew, they said they had Jennifer Lawrence in First Suite the previous day... I guess she is rich enough to afford a private jet flight?

MR27122

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:35 am

TMZ

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 am

Considering my job was selling high end business jets to the wealthy, I think I have a handle on the business. Celebs are not rich in terms of owning private $60 million jets. Having complete control over your schedule, having a customs officer come to your plane, not dealing with security or waiting in lounges is the benefit.

Sure, Warren Buffet eschewed them until he bought Net Jets. Boeing refused small jets until the bought a fleet of Challengers and BBJs. FDX has a large fleet. High Net Worth Individuals are prominent owners. One famous one has a pair of Gulfstreams, one for him, one for his wife. One any day, you'll see US private jets everywhere from South Africa or Zambia to Singapore to London. There are about 10,000 in the US, over 1,500 Gulfstream, large-cabin Challengers and Global alone.

GF

Flighty

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 am

Slug71 wrote:

Still learning about this, but there seems to be a middle tier between airline fliers and let's say Oprah, who flies globally on her own jet. Obviously there is jet sharing. But there may be some niche in using top tier airline products in conjunction with super luxury ground handling. Like true Four Seasons level ground experience, then you fly Qantas first class to Australia. I guess.

Georgetown

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:31 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Considering my job was selling high end business jets to the wealthy, I think I have a handle on the business. Celebs are not rich in terms of owning private $60 million jets. Having complete control over your schedule, having a customs officer come to your plane, not dealing with security or waiting in lounges is the benefit.

Sure, Warren Buffet eschewed them until he bought Net Jets. Boeing refused small jets until the bought a fleet of Challengers and BBJs. FDX has a large fleet. High Net Worth Individuals are prominent owners. One famous one has a pair of Gulfstreams, one for him, one for his wife. One any day, you'll see US private jets everywhere from South Africa or Zambia to Singapore to London. There are about 10,000 in the US, over 1,500 Gulfstream, large-cabin Challengers and Global alone.

GF

Yes, some folks do that, but not all extraordinary wealthy folks do. If you were in that business than I'm sure you know that fact well. Many high net worth individuals that aren't "faux wealthy" fly commercial. Many also fly private. A lot do both.
Let's go Hoyas!

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 am

Seabear wrote:
Good to know that the 0.01% are doing so well.

Was there ever any doubt?

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Considering my job was selling high end business jets to the wealthy, I think I have a handle on the business.

So you claim, though speaking in such generalizations sure doesn't show it.....

PITflights

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am

Amazing that the LA government has money to spend on celebs who preach to us how to live and yet has a poverty problem with residents of LA - the hypocrisy is sad

Revelation

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 am

PITflights wrote:
Amazing that the LA government has money to spend on celebs who preach to us how to live and yet has a poverty problem with residents of LA - the hypocrisy is sad

RTFA....

Don't worry, the Private Suite was created at no cost to taxpayers--which is great news, as chances that everyday taxpayers will use this new terminal are as likely as the airport being empty the night before Thanksgiving.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

MR27122

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Considering my job was selling high end business jets to the wealthy, I think I have a handle on the business....... So you claim, though speaking in such generalizations sure doesn't show it.....

Ya, but...

It's all relative, and allbased on what their preferences are.

Mumrik

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm

When is this new terminal schedule to open?
Aircraft enthusiast and model custom maker

WorldFlier

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:59 pm

jetero wrote:
They will no doubt pay for it, and willingly so. It was definitely a no brainer for LAX.

Exactly. This is literally "trickle down economics" where the wealthy are spending their money on literal job creation. Instead of off-shoring or investing at Goldman Sachs, they are putting money to work in the "real economy"

I see absolutely no reason to do anything but cheer. This gives LAX extra money to be able to continue to improve the situation for us regular people...

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 pm

nutsaboutplanes wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

And then a 2,500ish per use fee. Absolutely insane.

To the people that use this service that's peanuts.

Even Oslo has a VIP terminal, completely separate from the main terminal, it opened in 2011. The prices aren't that over the top either.

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airpo ... nal/prices

airzona11

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 pm

This is a good thing for commercial aviation fans. It is funny to see that same amount of complaining happens when talking about airlines downgrading service, etc or when there is now something on the other end of the spectrum.

This is a trend that I think we will see more and more, even if not on this scale. Look at the LH First Class Terminal in FRA. Airlines have had lounges for premium flyers, even those get diluted, so investment happens to take to the next level. If there is a market for it, build it.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Uh, its their money, they can spend it anyway they want. Quit being socialists or petty jealousy and expecting because someone worked for it others are entitled to a chunk of it. If you work your arse off, one day you too can fly out of that terminal.

JAAlbert

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Doesn't AA have an invitation only curb-to-gate service for its celebrity/wealthy clients? If you are flying first class on AA from LAX the airlines first class lounge is spacious and quiet -- I don't know why a celebrity needs more than that.

This private terminal sounds like an opportunity for those with more money than sense to exclaim how wealthy they are. Still, if there is a market for all that, might as well make some money on it.

AAvgeek744

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
jetero wrote:

Exactly. This is literally "trickle down economics" where the wealthy are spending their money on literal job creation. Instead of off-shoring or investing at Goldman Sachs, they are putting money to work in the "real economy"

I see absolutely no reason to do anything but cheer. This gives LAX extra money to be able to continue to improve the situation for us regular people...

It may be trickle down economics (I don't agree), but the egos of many celebrities are quite large. I doubt they care or are even aware that this will people to work. Goldman Sachs is going to be no different.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Celebs, generally through no fault, create chaos in public space. Getting them out of the way benefits all of us.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

WorldFlier

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
jetero wrote:

It may be trickle down economics (I don't agree), but the egos of many celebrities are quite large. I doubt they care or are even aware that this will people to work. Goldman Sachs is going to be no different.

Your perception is irrelevant. This is $$$ that went into Infrastructure from a non-governmental source, and therefore a net-positive contribution to the economy. Very rarely do you get non-governmental sources of funding for infrastructure in the USA except for Toll Roads (that are extremely regressive, as poorer people tend to live farther).

Consider how this money could have been spent otherwise in thousands of places around the world. We should be cheering this and encouraging more cities with wealthy flyers (SFO, ORD, DCA, BOS, LGA/JFK, etc.) to get private citizens to build them more terminals. This would give those facilities more money to spend on runway improvements or maybe even put that revenue towards a train service?

airbazar

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:28 pm

UALFAson wrote:

I'd say there's a big different between a wanna-be celebrity and a real celebrity. What you're describing appears to be a wanna-be celeb and i suspect that those can't really afford this terminal anyway.

Moose135

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Mumrik wrote:
When is this new terminal schedule to open?

May 15, 2017...
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!