• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
eal
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:05 pm

While not related to the impact in the Leewards, it is aviation and Irma related.

My elderly next door neighbor asked me to book her flights out of MIA/ FLL to LAS ahead of the storm and everything from Wednesday to Saturday is booked out. Similarly, my mother told me her coworkers all booked last minute flights to LAS in order to avoid the storm. While I don't understand the connection to LAS, it's interesting to see such a heavily operated route completely sold out.

I suggest perhaps changing the thread title to general impact of Irma as it veers toward the Greater Antilles and South Florida.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 pm

There isn't a connection to LAS, flights are sold out from MIA to several other places such as LAX, SFO, DEN, CLT, ATL, IAH, etc.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 9057
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 pm

eal wrote:
While I don't understand the connection to LAS, it's interesting to see such a heavily operated route completely sold out.

....check the hotel rates
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 pm

gunnerman wrote:
There isn't a connection to LAS, flights are sold out from MIA to several other places such as LAX, SFO, DEN, CLT, ATL, IAH, etc.


Other airlines have seats. Incidentally, I checked Delta and they have seats on their non stop MIA-LAX all week long and into the weekend. There's also FLL and PBI just to the north of MIA
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 pm

gunnerman wrote:
There isn't a connection to LAS, flights are sold out from MIA to several other places such as LAX, SFO, DEN, CLT, ATL, IAH, etc.


just checked AA out of MIA and there are non stop flights all day this week, through the weekend and into next week on MIA to LAX/LAS etc.
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3038
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 am

Based on the Maho beach cam, there looks to be a lot of unsheltered or unsecured objects along with the already unstable small buildings. The jet bridges are all still fully extended however based on the terminal lay out they can't secure them up against the building like most US airports can . When I worked at Daytona during the hurricanes of 2004 we were able to tuck the Jet Bridges up against the side of the building and anchor them to the ground. Based on what I saw late this afternoon I will not be surprised at all if the jet bridges are ripped clear off the building
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 am

RL757PVD wrote:
The local news there doesn't seem to be overly concerned,
http://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-marti ... tions.html

Looking back I have not seen any instance of a storm of this severity hitting SXM, most, if not all have been Cat 1,2 or 3 for direct/near direct hits.

Forecast to be 180 mph within 12 hrs which would likely be considered a Cat 6 if it existed, a 10 ft storm surge would be catastrophic for the Airport, Philipsburg, Marigot and Orient Beach,



Hurricane Luis hit SXM with 130 MPH winds in 1995. It did tremendous damage to SXM and ANU. I shudder to think the impacts if they get a 185 MPH hit. SXM was hurt for years because many hotels were damaged. If AXA is also badly damaged this will impact airlift for the winter season as airlines reduce capacity in anticipation of reduced visitor levels.

If SXM airports sustains damage then Winair is hurt. And this will also hurt those islands which depend on SXM as a hub. We shall know by tomorrow but its looking quite dire. Some one asked where do you evacuate to. The answer is away from beaches and from deep ravines. Aside from that you hunker down and pray to God. There is also no FEMA in these islands, so recovery will be slow if there is extensive damage.

SKB can have serious problems as that is a high island (peaks almost 4k feet) so I expect damage from mudflows as well. Cruise harbors on SKB and SXM can also face damage as they are on open bays. The track seems to indicate that SXM will be on the northern edge of the hurricane, which is the worst part.

Another factor for SXM and STT will be damage to runways as these are right by the sea so can face damage if there is a storm surge.
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 am

guyanam wrote:
[. Some one asked where do you evacuate to. The answer is away from beaches and from deep ravines. Aside from that you hunker down and pray to God. There is also no FEMA in these islands, so recovery will be slow if there is extensive damage.

SKB can have serious problems as that is a high island (peaks almost 4k feet) so I expect damage from mudflows as well. Cruise harbors on SKB and SXM can also face damage as they are on open bays. The track seems to indicate that SXM will be on the northern edge of the hurricane, which is the worst part.

Another factor for SXM and STT will be damage to runways as these are right by the sea so can face damage if there is a storm surge.


That was me, I had asked where do people that live on an small Island evacuate to? I am sure they must have hurricane shelters that people can go to.

SXM doesn't need FEMA. Its like everyone on the island chips in and helps rebuild the moment the storm is over. Islands like SXM rely 100% on tourism. I bet if you compared two islands with equal damage, one with FEMA and one without, the island without FEMA would be up and running before FEMA. FEMA serves its purpose but its also a form of government that can spin its wheels just as fast as it can whip out Uncle Sam's check book.

SXM cant be more than 20 or so feet above sea level, maybe less. I cant find it anywhere. Its not much so you will probably get storm surge on the airfield but you also have Simpson Bay Lagoon on the other side which will probably flood the airfield as well and most likely deposit a few dozen luxury boats as well on the playing field.
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 am

RL757PVD wrote:
Its up to 185 mph and showing a projected landfall on St. Maarten, I could not find any reference to anything greater than 115 mph ever affecting the Island. If this holds, it will be truly devastating and historic for the Island taking years to recover.


I love that island. I have a vacation rental right on the beach bookmarked for future travel. Not sure it will exist in a few days. Having seen the SXM videos it seems the runway is really only a few feet above sea level. Even if it were 10 feet above sea level it won't make much difference. SXM should be safe from a surge and waves until the airport is on the back side of the eye. Then the intense winds coming out of the south will likely bring the surge up and onto airport property. The massive waves on top of that may very well severely damage the airport. I am not sure there will be much left standing after this passes. I think it will be a long time before anyone rides out jet blast on the fence.

Lovely island. Terrible shame. I hope all the good people of the island come out of this as well as possible.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
TW870
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 am

Terrible news about the hurricane and my thoughts go to everyone in the storm's path.

As far as particular aircraft go, companies like LIAT have easily gotten modern aircraft our of the way. But thinking back to hurricane Andrew, these storms destroy vintage aircraft that may be somewhat airworthy but that do no fly regularly. How many DC-3s, Convairs, etc. are still around on the islands that are in danger of the storm? I know we are decades past the heyday of Aero Virgin Islands and Air BVI and Prinair and AMSA and Aerochago and all of the companies of the Caribbean prop renaissance, but does anyone know of specific older aircraft that are in harm's way?
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 am

jumbojet wrote:
That was me, I had asked where do people that live on an small Island evacuate to? I am sure they must have hurricane shelters that people can go to.

SXM doesn't need FEMA. Its like everyone on the island chips in and helps rebuild the moment the storm is over. Islands like SXM rely 100% on tourism. I bet if you compared two islands with equal damage, one with FEMA and one without, the island without FEMA would be up and running before FEMA. FEMA serves its purpose but its also a form of government that can spin its wheels just as fast as it can whip out Uncle Sam's check book.

SXM cant be more than 20 or so feet above sea level, maybe less. I cant find it anywhere. Its not much so you will probably get storm surge on the airfield but you also have Simpson Bay Lagoon on the other side which will probably flood the airfield as well and most likely deposit a few dozen luxury boats as well on the playing field.



Actually they do need a FEMA. Remember that 80% of the population aren't locals, and more than 50% aren't citizens, and will take off if there isn't any work on the island. If they don't leave they will be asked to leave as they are only there in most instances they are there on work permit basis.

The French will help their side of the island. Don't know what will happen on the Dutch side as the Netherlands is less involved. I do know that SXM took longer to recover from Luis in 1995 than ANU did. I was in SXM in 1999 and they were in worse shape than SKB was in the same year, even though Georges was as bad and it had hit just the year before.

The islands which recover better are the ones which know that they independent and the only help they can get will be token assistance from the rest of CARICOM, or if a UK and US naval vessel happens to be in the vicinity, plus additional help from their US based nationals. The community spirit is stronger as there is more national identity.

75% of the people who live in SXM weren't born there and its 60% for STT. This together with the expectation that they will get outside help means that there is less self help. Non residents will simply go home if there is no work. And if there is extensive damage in SXM that in fact will be the case. And SXM will withdraw work permits as it isn't going to tolerate armies of unemployed aliens roaming around.

As to how this affects aviation. Well serious damage to SXM itself, flooding and unsecured equipment. When Luis hit the new terminal hadn't been built. And of course if there is serious damage to hotels then this coming season will be hurt meaning a reduction in airline service, Winair will also be badly impacted if there is serious damage on SBH as this is its bread and butter route.

We will know by tomorrow.
 
ty97
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:14 am

eal wrote:
While not related to the impact in the Leewards, it is aviation and Irma related.

My elderly next door neighbor asked me to book her flights out of MIA/ FLL to LAS ahead of the storm and everything from Wednesday to Saturday is booked out. Similarly, my mother told me her coworkers all booked last minute flights to LAS in order to avoid the storm. While I don't understand the connection to LAS, it's interesting to see such a heavily operated route completely sold out.

I suggest perhaps changing the thread title to general impact of Irma as it veers toward the Greater Antilles and South Florida.


After Irma hit Cat 5 this morning, there was a run on flights out of all South (and I think even Central) Florida airports. I watched inventory for Wed/Thurs/Fri to every hub from RSW dry up in a matter of hours while trying to get my mother out. Every once in a while a single seat opens up as someone cancels or changes flights, but flights are basically sold out Wed - Fri at this point at a lot of these airports.
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:32 am

If the Saffir-Simpson scale kept going past cat 5, the argument can be made that Irma is a cat 7 storm.

From Wikipedia, a cat 5 storm causes the following damage:

Category 5 is the highest category of the Saffir–Simpson scale. These storms cause complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings, and some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. Collapse of many wide-span roofs and walls, especially those with no interior supports, is common. Very heavy and irreparable damage to many wood frame structures and total destruction to mobile/manufactured homes is prevalent. Only a few types of structures are capable of surviving intact, and only if located at least 3 to 5 miles (5 to 8 km) inland
:

I take that last sentence to mean that most everything within 3 to 5 miles of the ocean will be destroyed. I've been to SXM dozens of times and anyone else that's been there knows that most hotels, condos, buildings etc are within 5 miles of the ocean. SXM is not big by any stretch of the imagination. I hope I am wrong but Irma sounds like it will make Saint Maarten uninhabitable for a very long time.

More here on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2 ... pson_scale
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 am

ty97 wrote:
eal wrote:
While not related to the impact in the Leewards, it is aviation and Irma related.

My elderly next door neighbor asked me to book her flights out of MIA/ FLL to LAS ahead of the storm and everything from Wednesday to Saturday is booked out. Similarly, my mother told me her coworkers all booked last minute flights to LAS in order to avoid the storm. While I don't understand the connection to LAS, it's interesting to see such a heavily operated route completely sold out.

I suggest perhaps changing the thread title to general impact of Irma as it veers toward the Greater Antilles and South Florida.


After Irma hit Cat 5 this morning, there was a run on flights out of all South (and I think even Central) Florida airports. I watched inventory for Wed/Thurs/Fri to every hub from RSW dry up in a matter of hours while trying to get my mother out. Every once in a while a single seat opens up as someone cancels or changes flights, but flights are basically sold out Wed - Fri at this point at a lot of these airports.


You hope that the airlines are being smart enough NOT to overbook these flights. Good luck getting a volunteer. Sure enough, I just checked all southern Florida airports and nothing is available for the next several days. If you want to get out, maybe you can take Amtrak or get in your car and leave asap.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 am

There are still some openings out of FLL on WN Friday night. Assuming that isn't too late. If anyone on here is in the path. Good luck to you. Be safe.
 
WN732
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:13 am

 
User avatar
MSPSXMFLIER
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 am

Just finished viewing the Maho Beach and Port St. Maarten webcams and it is a ghost town there.....no hint of any vehicle traffic or people out along Great Bay beach. Winds have picked up considerably and waves are plentiful and quite large for this time during the overnight hours. Was chatting with a friend earlier tonight, who lives in Orient Bay, and since this afternoon, there has been a mandatory evacuation of two towns on the French side: Grand Case and Sandy Ground, both because of flooding concerns. He is up in the hills and away from the beaches at Orient Bay, so he will have quite a view to the storm as it approaches and passes by. Many resorts in Orient Bay are normally closed in September. Some smaller resorts that were open, have emptied out and all local businesses have shuttered up their buildings. He was not living on the island when it was last hit by a hurricane, but he talked with neighbors who were and they are expecting Irma will far surpass the last one, which I think was Luis, in terms of significant and extensive damage if the track holds close to hurricane center predictions.
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 am

WN732 wrote:


sure it will. It went MX on Curacao not Saint Maarten. Curacao is way south of Irma.
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:25 am

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
Just finished viewing the Maho Beach and Port St. Maarten webcams and it is a ghost town there.


I tried to view the webcams that are on the sunset bar and grill website but they are down. are there actually other webcams working at the moment?

Good luck to your friend, hope he will be OK.
 
User avatar
MSPSXMFLIER
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:35 am

jumbojet wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
Just finished viewing the Maho Beach and Port St. Maarten webcams and it is a ghost town there.


I tried to view the webcams that are on the sunset bar and grill website but they are down. are there actually other webcams working at the moment?

Good luck to your friend, hope he will be OK.



Yes, I'm watching both of the cams right now, it's 12:32 AM CST where I am. Both are online and have the highest numbers of viewers that I've ever seen. Sunset Grill location is no more, the webcam was moved earlier this year to just a bit to the east, about at the midpoint of the runway at Juliana.
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 am

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
Just finished viewing the Maho Beach and Port St. Maarten webcams and it is a ghost town there.


I tried to view the webcams that are on the sunset bar and grill website but they are down. are there actually other webcams working at the moment?

Good luck to your friend, hope he will be OK.



Yes, I'm watching both of the cams right now, it's 12:32 AM CST where I am. Both are online and have the highest numbers of viewers that I've ever seen. Sunset Grill location is no more, the webcam was moved earlier this year to just a bit to the east, about at the midpoint of the runway at Juliana.


can you provide the link?

edited reason: disregard, I found it.
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 am

Winair planes are in SVD.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 am

From the NWS

US Virgin Islands

St.Thomas...St. John...and Adjacent Islands-
131 AM AST Wed Sep 6 2017

...HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT...

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- St Thomas St John and adjacent islands

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Cat 4 Hurricane force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 110-130 mph with gusts to 145 mph
- Window for Tropical Storm force winds: until early Thursday
morning
- Window for Hurricane force winds: this morning until this
evening

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: Extreme
- The wind threat has remained nearly steady from the
previous assessment.
- Remain braced against the reasonable threat for major
hurricane force wind greater than 110 mph of equivalent
Category 3 intensity or higher.
- To be safe, efforts should fully focus on protecting life.
Properties remain subject to devastating to catastrophic
wind impacts.
- Now is the time to urgently hide from the wind. Failure to
adequately shelter may result in serious injury, loss of
life, or immense human suffering. Remain sheltered until
the hazardous wind subsides. Be ready to quickly move to
the safest place within your shelter if extreme wind
warnings are issued.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Unfolding
- Potential impacts from the main wind event are unfolding.

* STORM SURGE
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Life-threatening storm surge possible
- Peak Storm Surge Inundation: The potential for 7-11 feet
above ground somewhere within surge prone areas
- Window of concern: through Thursday morning

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: Extreme
- The storm surge threat has remained nearly steady from the
previous assessment.
- Emergency plans should include a reasonable threat for
extreme storm surge flooding greater than 9 feet above
ground.
- To be safe, aggressively prepare for the potential of
devastating to catastrophic storm surge flooding impacts.
Evacuation efforts should now be brought to completion.
Evacuations must be complete before driving conditions
become unsafe.
- Life-threatening inundation is possible. Failure to heed
evacuation orders may result in serious injury, significant
loss of life, or immense human suffering. Leave if
evacuation orders are given for your area. Consider
voluntary evacuation if recommended. Poor decisions may
result in being cut off or needlessly risk lives.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Devastating to Catastrophic
- Widespread deep inundation, with storm surge flooding
greatly accentuated by powerful battering waves. Structural
damage to buildings, with many washing away. Damage greatly
compounded from considerable floating debris. Locations may
be uninhabitable for an extended period.
- Near-shore escape routes and secondary roads washed out or
severely flooded. Flood control systems and barriers may
become stressed.
- Extreme beach erosion. New shoreline cuts possible.
- Massive damage to marinas, docks, boardwalks, and piers.
Numerous small craft broken away from moorings with many
lifted onshore and stranded.

* FLOODING RAIN
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Flash Flood Watch is in effect
- Peak Rainfall Amounts: Additional 6-10 inches, with locally
higher amounts

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: High
- The flooding rain threat has remained nearly steady from
the previous assessment.
- Emergency considerations should include a threat of
flooding.
- Be safe and remain ready to protect against flooding rain
impacts.
- If flood related watches and warnings are in effect, heed
recommended actions.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Extensive
- Major rainfall flooding may prompt many evacuations and
rescues.
- Rivers and tributaries may rapidly overflow their banks in
multiple places. Small streams, creeks, canals, arroyos,
and ditches may become dangerous rivers. In mountain areas,
destructive runoff may run quickly down valleys while
increasing susceptibility to rockslides and mudslides.
Flood control systems and barriers may become stressed.
- Flood waters can enter many structures within multiple
communities, some structures becoming uninhabitable or
washed away. Many places where flood waters may cover
escape routes. Streets and parking lots become rivers of
moving water with underpasses submerged. Driving conditions
become dangerous. Many road and bridge closures with some
weakened or washed out.

* TORNADO
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST:
- Situation is somewhat favorable for tornadoes

- CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: Elevated
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:59 am

Image
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
ty97
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:22 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Image


Moved a bit to the east. Keep going Irma, keep moving east, all the way out into the ocean and away from land.
 
YYZatcboy
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 am

Maho Beach Cam appears to have broken.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6645
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:40 am

Looks like on Monday Mickey could be in trouble.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
dragon-wings
Posts: 4120
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:55 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am

According to the news the US Air Force and Navy have started moving planes and helicopters out of Key West NAS, Jacksonville NAS, Mayport, and Homestead ARB.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/politics/ ... index.html
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano
 
KFLLCFII
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:08 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 am

The island of St. Maarten/St. Martin and SXM have taken a direct hit of one of the most powerful tropical cyclones ever to make landfall, with sustained winds of 185 mph / 295 km/h and gusts up to 225 mph / 362 km/h.

Image

Image


The island is presently in the western eyewall, and is about to receive the relative calm of the eye. After eye passage, the wind will change direction, and they will pass through the eyewall on the "back side" which is generally stronger than the first eyewall passage with even-greater storm surge.

I pray for the residents of that Caribbean jewel, and my thoughts are with those kind people who I met early last year. Their lives will certainly not be the same for a very long time.


BULLETIN
Hurricane Irma Advisory Number 29
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
500 AM AST Wed Sep 06 2017

...EYE OF POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE IRMA
MOVING AWAY FROM BARBUDA AND TOWARD ST. MARTIN...


SUMMARY OF 500 AM AST...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.9N 62.6W
ABOUT 35 MI...55 KM ESE OF ST. MARTIN
ABOUT 145 MI...235 KM E OF ST. CROIX
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...185 MPH...295 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...914 MB...26.99 INCHES

EYE DIAMETER 25 NM
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 160 KT (185MPH / 295KM/H) WITH GUSTS TO 195 KT (225 MPH / 362 KM/H).

Source
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6645
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:21 am

Well the great bearded one is not leaving the island. Sir Richard is staying put he says.

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/ ... icane-irma

Good Luck !
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 1964
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:01 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
The island of St. Maarten/St. Martin and SXM have taken a direct hit of one of the most powerful tropical cyclones ever to make landfall, with sustained winds of 185 mph / 295 km/h and gusts up to 225 mph / 362 km/h.

https://s26.postimg.org/wiuyzg3q1/St-_Maarten.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/65koe51p5/rbtop-animated.gif

Source


It looks really nasty and the question is how much of the airports that still will be intact once this have passed.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
The island of St. Maarten/St. Martin and SXM have taken a direct hit of one of the most powerful tropical cyclones ever to make landfall, with sustained winds of 185 mph / 295 km/h and gusts up to 225 mph / 362 km/h.

https://s26.postimg.org/wiuyzg3q1/St-_Maarten.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/65koe51p5/rbtop-animated.gif

Source


It looks really nasty and the question is how much of the airports that still will be intact once this have passed.


Saint Maarten still has another 4 hours or so of 125 plus MPH winds so the worst of Irma will be there for a while. I mean, that's hour after hour after hour of being pounded by 125 plus MPH winds. Not going to be much left. I cringe to see the video and pics once rescue crews can get safely to the Island. Speaking of which, who exactly is going to begin search and rescue operations on not only Saint Maarten but all the other Islands that will be flattened by Irma?
 
User avatar
inflightVideo
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm

The Maho Beachcam is now destroyed, here are the final moments before it went down:

https://twitter.com/PTZtv/status/905403131361730560

Looks absolutely insane.
 
marcelh
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
It looks really nasty and the question is how much of the airports that still will be intact once this have passed.


According to Dutch media SXM should be capable to withstand the impact of a Cat. 4 hurricane. Unfortunately they are dealing with a severe Cat. 5 hurricane right now.
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 pm

inflightVideo wrote:
The Maho Beachcam is now destroyed, here are the final moments before it went down:

https://twitter.com/PTZtv/status/905403131361730560

Looks absolutely insane.


The raw power of mother nature, incredible.

I'm watching Accu Weather now and they just said they have footage of some of the Islands that took a direct hit and they described a scene of total devastation. They are trying to get these pictures posted. We all know the media over hypes things so hopefully that's the case here.
 
User avatar
MSPSXMFLIER
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 pm

PTZtv has posted a clip, on YouTube, of Maho Beach webcam's last recording. It runs 11:30 in length. They posted on their own site that the camera setup was destroyed by Irma's ferocious winds. I can only imagine what the damage to PJIA's terminal, surrounding buildings and hotels must look like. From what I've seen of various clips that are already posted on YouTube, the destruction far surpasses what Luis inflicted in 1995. The Port St. Maarten webcam is also down, but no word if it is damaged or not functioning because of no power.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Ominously, the French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said that government buildings on the island of Saint Martin - the most sturdy built there - had been destroyed.

“We know that the four most solid buildings on the island have been destroyed which means that more rustic structures have probably been completely or partially destroyed.” he told reporters.
 
marcelh
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:08 pm

At Twitter #sxm gives some impression of the damage...
 
kl838
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm

It is absolutely devastating watching my home town of SXM get ravaged. The airport seems absolutely damaged and I don't know how long it would take them to get it back up. Click the link for the pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/Cyriel.Pfennin ... nref=story
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3038
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:32 pm

My fear is that those pictures were all taken during the eye, which is before the Dutch side got the worst of it....
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!
 
badgervor
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Check out the METAR TAF for TIST particularly 1900Z time frame:

TIST 061253Z AUTO 23013G30KT 230V190 4SM -RA BR OVC019 27/25 A2960 RMK AO2 PK WND 30035/1207 WSHFT 1233 PRESFR SLP023 P0004 T02720250

2017/09/06 14:33
TIST 061330Z 0614/0712 34030G50KT 6SM SHRA BKN022 OVC050
FM061500 33065G90KT 5SM SHRA BKN025 OVC050
FM061900 27090G120KT 4SM SHRA BKN015 OVC030
FM062300 23050G70KT P6SM -SHRA BKN025 OVC060
FM070200 18040G60KT P6SM -SHRA SCT025 BKN060
FM070800 15025G35KT P6SM SCT060
 
richierich
Posts: 3591
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2000 5:49 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:52 pm

The Maho Beach webcam, before it went down, doesn't just portray extremely dangerous conditions, it looks almost unsurvivable. I don't know that I have ever seen anything quite like it, to be honest. The loss of life and, secondary to that, the loss of property on not just St. Maarten/St. Martin, but all surrounding islands in the Lesser Antilles, is going to be staggering.

Yes, we also have to be concerned as Irma churns its way toward higher population areas, such as Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic/Haiti, and Cuba. It is too early to know where in Florida it will hit, but obviously the densely populated eastern seaboard would be devastating. A Cat 3 or higher storm hitting the Florida mainland would be catastrophic.

From an aviation point of view, it seems almost insignificant to discuss about when SXM might reopen. Obviously it depends on the damage and level of flooding. The airport will be vital to providing relief efforts to the island, so there will be some priority made for that, but I believe this storm will have had an affect on these islands' infrastructure for many many years to come. I don't think we will see a full resumption of scheduled service for at least a couple of weeks. God Bless those who are in currently in harm's way...
None shall pass!!!!
 
User avatar
MSPSXMFLIER
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:53 pm

kl838 wrote:
It is absolutely devastating watching my home town of SXM get ravaged. The airport seems absolutely damaged and I don't know how long it would take them to get it back up. Click the link for the pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/Cyriel.Pfennin ... nref=story


That's pretty significant damage shown in those photos of PJIA. The terminal building opened up just 11 years ago.....I thought it might have been longer than that? That's a pretty modern and solidly built structure, so I can only imagine how the far greater number of older and weaker structures have fared. In my mind, I'm picturing many of the small resorts, hotels and businesses that surrounded PJIA, simply no longer existing.
 
kl838
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:05 pm

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
kl838 wrote:
It is absolutely devastating watching my home town of SXM get ravaged. The airport seems absolutely damaged and I don't know how long it would take them to get it back up. Click the link for the pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/Cyriel.Pfennin ... nref=story


That's pretty significant damage shown in those photos of PJIA. The terminal building opened up just 11 years ago.....I thought it might have been longer than that? That's a pretty modern and solidly built structure, so I can only imagine how the far greater number of older and weaker structures have fared. In my mind, I'm picturing many of the small resorts, hotels and businesses that surrounded PJIA, simply no longer existing.


Marigot (Capital of French Saint Martin) is completely destroyed from what I have seen and heard. Just praying that everyone survives, and not sure about the airport on the French side though I assume it is obliterated. Saint Barths is also experiencing extreme flooding and I wouldn't be surprised if there was no airport either. Thankfully the Marines are there from both The Netherlands and France, and all the social media activity seems to be coming mainly out of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin no one knows how Antigua and St Kitts are coping.
 
dampfnudel
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
The island of St. Maarten/St. Martin and SXM have taken a direct hit of one of the most powerful tropical cyclones ever to make landfall, with sustained winds of 185 mph / 295 km/h and gusts up to 225 mph / 362 km/h.

https://s26.postimg.org/wiuyzg3q1/St-_Maarten.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/65koe51p5/rbtop-animated.gif

Source


It looks really nasty and the question is how much of the airports that still will be intact once this have passed.


Saint Maarten still has another 4 hours or so of 125 plus MPH winds so the worst of Irma will be there for a while. I mean, that's hour after hour after hour of being pounded by 125 plus MPH winds. Not going to be much left. I cringe to see the video and pics once rescue crews can get safely to the Island. Speaking of which, who exactly is going to begin search and rescue operations on not only Saint Maarten but all the other Islands that will be flattened by Irma?

I would imagine the French navy would have some ships close by or perhaps even the US has a couple of vessels including a hospital vessel that can respond within days. The videos out of there and Barbuda will no doubt be some of most catastrophic hurricane/cyclonic destruction we'll see in our lifetimes.
Last edited by dampfnudel on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR
 
B747forever
Posts: 13788
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Just check all these twitter photos https://twitter.com/hashtag/sintmaarten

The road to recovery will be very long. So sad to see all the damage.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Maho Beach cam is destroyed.

Too sad to watch, I've been in multiple Cat 4's, notably Francis and Charley but Irma, that's a whole new level of wow.

SXM will rebuild!
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
User avatar
mikegigs
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Some photos of SXM terminal from Twitter. The jetways are still (mostly) standing as of now but the damage is already excessive... I can't tell if the third and fourth pictures are the tip of the jetway that comes in contact with the aircraft or a crumpled part of a truck. Either way, very scary...

https://twitter.com/invisibleman_17/sta ... 9271692288
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!
 
jumbojet
Topic Author
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm

more punishment for saint marten to come.

current wind speed is 140 MPH which will be sustained until just after 12:00, then it rapidly diminishes after that. By 3 PM wind speeds dip under 50 and by 8 PM under 25.

Saint Martin is my favorite place to visit, been there dozens of times. Some of the friendliest people live on that Island.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:42 pm

mikegigs wrote:
Some photos of SXM terminal from Twitter. The jetways are still (mostly) standing as of now but the damage is already excessive... I can't tell if the third and fourth pictures are the tip of the jetway that comes in contact with the aircraft or a crumpled part of a truck. Either way, very scary...

https://twitter.com/invisibleman_17/sta ... 9271692288
Boarded or deplaned through all 4 of the jetbridges, all I can say is wow.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos