Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brickell305

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on the Lesser Antilles

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 pm

guyanam wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

.". Cat 3 can devastate poorly constructed structures. Further, despite being close to the eye, Antigua wasn't impacted much. The suE and claimed strength of the storm should have devastated islands that were "brushed" by the edge of the eye wall, but this did not happen.

Barbuda is more than 50 miles away from ANU so that means that ANU would have been either at the edge of the hurricane force winds or in the tropical storm zone. This means that they got some fierce breeze. The hurricane zone extended about 50 miles out from the eye.

That devastation in SXM isn't Cat 3. Those types of storms aren't unusual and this damage was severe. The only country which would have had do many poorly built structures for that to be the reason for this damage will be Haiti. I doubt that those large hotels were all poorly built. The French comment about their gov't offices being well built and yet are damaged. I don't see why they would be mistaken.

As some one said that one can quibble as to whether the winds around the eye were 155 or 185, but 155 is a bad hurricane. Anything about 140 is pretty bad.

I just wanted to clarify that the distance between Antigua and Barbuda is actually just a little under 40 miles. I agree with everything else.

gunnerman

Re: Hurricane Irma's Impact on Aviation

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Status on BA flights to Florida.

Thursday 7th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - operating
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-FLL
BA2169 - operating

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - operating
BA2039 - operating

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - operating

Friday 8th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - cancelled
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-FLL
BA2169 - no scheduled operation

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - operating
BA2039 - operating

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - operating

Saturday 9th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - cancelled
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-FLL
BA2169 - cancelled

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - operating
BA2039 - operating

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - operating

Sunday 10th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - cancelled
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-FLL
BA2169 - no scheduled operation

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - operating
BA2039 - operating

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - operating

c933103

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:27 pm

ikramerica wrote:
The winds aloft are absolutely, combined with satellite and a "model" using buoys used. And it this method has provided a false measure for quite some time.

This is just a matter of technicality, but there are no ATLANTIC recent storms where the SUSTAINED winds on the ground matched the category when it was declared a 4 or 5. Gusts, yes. Sustained, no. And category is supposed to be based on sustained wind. But hype/hysteria/budgeting is based on the biggest number you can claim.

This storm devastated Barbuda and caused great damage to SXM so far but there were absolutely no sustained Cat 5 readings let alone the "strongest ever". Cat 3 can devastate poorly constructed structures. Further, despite being close to the eye, Antigua wasn't impacted much. The suE and claimed strength of the storm should have devastated islands that were "brushed" by the edge of the eye wall, but this did not happen.

My heart goes out to those whose lives are wrecked or who lost loved ones. This doesn't attempt to diminish that. But there is an easy to document inflation of storm strength that can't be ignored.

Of course we are talking about sustained wind here.

And for Irma, if you are considering the Altlantic outside caribbean and outside the gulf, I believe it is not just the strongest ever, but also strongest ever by a wide margin. All the recording wind speed meter on islands along its path have been broken before eye wall is reached, how do you think those reading could reflect the cyclone's maximum intensity? Plus, some of those countries probably use 10-minutes average value for sustained wind which is likely give out a lesser value than the US standard of 1-minutes average

Antigua was at the weaker quarter of the storm when the storm passed through the eye and is also in the navigable semicircle.

And even if you think the value is over-reported, the exact same method have been in use for quite a few decades and is being used to measure all those storms out there. At least it would be the strongest over past four or five decades when the method is used?

Personaly I am not too sure about the Atlantic side, and I don't have reading from Irma here, but over the Pacific, it is still pretty common that after a typhoon passed through an offshore drill platform, the actually measured wind speed have exceed approximations based on satellite images, and as a result they need to upgrade the typhoon accordingly.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

ty97

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 pm

8598033649 wrote:
What is the current full status of Florida ops . Are carriers doing 9000 flights to get planes out ?

I see the following (not an exhaustive list, I'm sure) for today (Thursday). I expect there will be more like this tomorrow.

DL9859 MIA-ATL
DL9959 MIA-ATL
DL9930 FLL-ATL
DL9896 FLL-ATL
DL9856 FLL-ATL
DL9862 FLL-ATL
DL9860 FLL-ATL
DL9861 FLL-ATL
DL9863 FLL-ATL
AA9251 MIA-DFW
AA9244 MIA-DFW
AA9252 MIA-DFW
AA9247 MIA-DFW
AA9245 MIA-DFW
B68148 FLL-JFK
B68191 FLL-JFK
B68102 FLL-BOS
B68146 MCO-JFK
UA2746 MIA-IAD
UA2766 MIA-IAD
UA2767 MIA-EWR
UA2763 FLL-EWR

gunnerman

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 pm

gunnerman wrote:
ANU is open today, but don't know from when. Both the BA and VS flights from LGW to ANU are in the air now, ETA 1433 and 1426 respectively. However, the BA flight will terminate at ANU instead of continuing onto PLS.

The BA flight which landed at 1427 at ANU will not return to LGW tonight. Instead, it will depart tomorrow at 0900, arriving 2155. This must be because the disruptions have resulted in insufficient crew at ANU, when normally there would be two sets of crew waiting, one to operate the intra-Caribbean flights (namely ANU-PLS-ANU, ANU-TAB-ANU and ANU-SKB-ANU) and the other to operate ANU-LGW.

This will be the first time I've known an eastbound flight from the Caribbean to operate in the day.

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:26 pm

PIE closing tomorrow (9/8) at 11:00am

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... se-of.html

YULspotter

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Video that shows what used to be the Sunset Bar and Grill at Maho Beach. A favorite hangout of spotters. I practically lived there when I spotted at SXM in 2011. So sad. It's going to be a long time perhaps years before any spotters return to SXM.

YULspotter

https://youtu.be/YnKwhaTCqaM

Momo1435

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 pm

masgniw wrote:
LH526 wrote:
And another one:

Looks like the entire beach has been washed past the perimeter fence and now rests on the threshold.

Wow that's a crazy. What's the source for these?

The image was shot by the Dutch Navy from an NH90 helicopter overflying the Island to have a birds eye view of the damage.

https://twitter.com/kon_marine/status/9 ... 0829815808

The Royal Netherlands Air Force have send a KDC10 and a C-130 to Curacao with relief goods and 100+ army personal. I suspect that they will fly from there to SXM when the runway is cleared enough for those planes to land, otherwise they will have to ship them to island.

LAXintl

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 pm

United's Florida plans:

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jumbojet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 pm

masgniw wrote:
LH526 wrote:
And another one:

Looks like the entire beach has been washed past the perimeter fence and now rests on the threshold.

Wow that's a crazy. What's the source for these?

The Dutch military I believe...possibly the Air Force.

deltadudejg

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:26 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
PIE closing tomorrow (9/8) at 11:00am

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... se-of.html

Beat me to it. It's because the airport is in an A Flood zone. County already has requested a mandatory evacuation for those in A-zones
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

BrunoSBGR

Irma destroys SXM & Maho Beach [PICS]

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Sorry it this has been posted already.
Just found this article with sad - yet incredible - pics of the aftermath of Irma passing through Saint Marteen.

Maho Beach is barely there, the Sunset Bar lost all of its ceiling and the airport suffered vast damage (including runway & terminal).

See here:

http://www.aeroin.net/aeroporto-de-st-m ... acao-irma/

(article in Portuguese only, but the images speak for themselves)
Private pilot. Frequent flyer. Aviation geek. Proud of all 3.

holzmann

If Airbus Is Listening: send A380s to MIA!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 pm

If Airbus is watching this thread: how about a PR stunt that conveniently has the A380 saving the day? Send a few to MIA and get those thousands of people out of there. Airport lines that are hours long. Forget tickets. Get people on board and go.
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

2Holer4Longhaul

Re: If Airbus Is Listening: send A380s to MIA!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Airbus can't send A380s because it's not an airline. I don't see any A380 operator being able to shuffle around planes enough to get an A380 in and out of MIA on time.

Much more likely that we'll see DL or UA send a 744 in some last huzzah to Florida.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

MaxTrimm

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm

It's not quite that easy. I wish it was! Will be a long few days for those stranded travelers.

StrandedAtMKG

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 pm

I mean, it's not the *worst* idea I've ever heard. But how many A380s does Airbus have completed that they have control of? And of those, how many have seats in them?

But your larger point is a good one: between all the aero operators in the US, Canada, and Mexico, there's got to be enough a) goodwill and desire for good PR, and b) extra lift available to get some supplies in and people out in the next 48 hours. With the latest models showing a track that goes directly over central Florida instead of staying out on the coast, it's going to take a herculean effort to get at-risk residents evacuated, volunteers and agencies in, and supplies in over the next couple days.

2Holer4Longhaul

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:19 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
I mean, it's not the *worst* idea I've ever heard. But how many A380s does Airbus have completed that they have control of? And of those, how many have seats in them?

But your larger point is a good one: between all the aero operators in the US, Canada, and Mexico, there's got to be enough a) goodwill and desire for good PR, and b) extra lift available to get some supplies in and people out in the next 48 hours.

There is. DL and B6 both added one-time flights (for paying pax, of course) out of FL recently. AA will more than likely want to get some WBs out of MIA as Irma gets near, and maybe UA will send something to try and get their PR back.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

StrandedAtMKG

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:33 pm

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

But your larger point is a good one: between all the aero operators in the US, Canada, and Mexico, there's got to be enough a) goodwill and desire for good PR, and b) extra lift available to get some supplies in and people out in the next 48 hours.

There is. DL and B6 both added one-time flights (for paying pax, of course) out of FL recently. AA will more than likely want to get some WBs out of MIA as Irma gets near, and maybe UA will send something to try and get their PR back.

Yeah, I saw DL crowing about adding 24 flights over the next 3 days. I don't know what DL is doing with fares or whether these are wb aircraft, though. But honestly, DL earned more good PR yesterday with the DL431/302 stunt than they ever could by ferrying people MCO-ATL.

2Holer4Longhaul

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:52 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

Yeah, I saw DL crowing about adding 24 flights over the next 3 days. I don't know what DL is doing with fares or whether these are wb aircraft, though. But honestly, DL earned more good PR yesterday with the DL431/302 stunt than they ever could by ferrying people MCO-ATL.

My gut says it's whatever planes happen to have slack time. Whether that means 777s or MadDogs is beyond me.

mcogator

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 am

Not sure how any Florida airports from MIA to JAX will be open on Saturday and Sunday with the shift in the track.

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 am

DL's additional flights to FLL, PBI, MIA are primarily large narrowbodies - A321, 757, 739ER plus some domestic 763 turns on ATL-FLL-ATL. They are using a combination of upgauging from smaller aircraft like MD88/MD90/A320 to larger frames and adding additional sections.

For example, the inbound flights Thursday evening from ATL that would normally RON are turning back to ATL this late evening for additional outbound flights, with departures going to ATL as late as 11:45pm. DL is they flying the aircraft back down from ATL early-morning Friday so they are in position to operate the normal Friday morning flights.

Part of the reason is logistics; there are finite resources including aircraft, crews, gate space, ground support, etc. and in many cases its logistically easier to fly large narrowbodies (A321, B739, 757s) which are in far greater supply in ATL, have more available crews, are easier to support on the ground and turn faster than a few incremental more seats on A330s, and B744s that are in much more limited supply and/or don't regularly fly through these stations.

Revelation

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 am

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
I've been scrolling through my photos of SXM, from my most recent trip taken this past March, and it's so very depressIng to realize that much of what I saw, enjoyed, walked past, ate a meal at, photographed, excursioned, etc... is either destroyed and piled in a heap of debris or blown into the Caribbean Sea, heavily damaged and will have to be torn down and rebuilt or simply stripped bare and wiped from the surface of the island. This is truly devastating for the island and will take many, many years to put right. Nothing has been left unaffected.....people's lives, basic island infrastructure and services, resorts/hotels and related tourism businesses and the ports of entry to the island (PJIA, Grand Case airport and the ship terminals).

Well, I'm sure we both feel the most sorry for the people who are on SXM and the other nearby islands. And I feel sorry for your sense of loss. And my sense of loss is that going to SXM was on my bucket list for years now and I didn't make it happen and now it seems it might not be possible for quite a while.

And if any of us want to do more than feel sorry, and are able, here's one place to start: Save The Children -- Hurricane Irma

I'm sure there's other ways to help too.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mcogator

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:57 am

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

flymco753

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:48 am

Additionally, a 744 will be replacing the 75Y on DL2517 from DTW tomorrow. The 75Y will be deployed DTW-FLL as a replacement to an M90 on DL1060. Another 744 will make a round to ATL and return to DTW as DL1290.

To dumbify:

Friday 8SEP17:

DL2517 DTW-MCO-DTW a/c swapped from 75Y to 744.
DL1060 DTW-FLL-DTW a/c swapped from M90 to 75Y.
DL1239/DL1290 DTW-ATL, ATL-DTW a/c swapped from 739 to 744.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

edu2703

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:51 am

Now, there's a police involved shooting at Terminal J at MIA. Terminal being evacuated.

Source: https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/905965093455843328

us330

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:57 am

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

According to a post from Airlineflyer on Twitter, AA's adding 16 flights from Miami to evacuate. 12 to DFW, 3 to JFK, and 1 to PHl. Aircraft are 1x A319, 4x 738, 1x A332, 4x 763, 5x 772, and 1x 77W.

I assume that some if not most of these aircraft would be deadheading to escape Irma and rather than have them leave empty, AA's turning them into additional passenger flights.

iFlyDTW

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:14 am

Those are quite the upgrades, thank you guys for posting those.

crownvic

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:40 am

DL operating 777 today and tmrw ATL-MCO-ATL

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 am

WN suspending all TPA ops Saturday evening per Tampa Airport social media.

eal

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:12 am

Bizarre scenario at MIA tonight, Terminal J currently evacuated, man armed with a knife and possibly a gun made his way out onto the tarmac by going through the restricted areas. Man was shot by police. Details just emerging on the local news, way to make a bad situation worse.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/police-respo ... -j-closed/

Revelation

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 am

us330 wrote:
I assume that some if not most of these aircraft would be deadheading to escape Irma and rather than have them leave empty, AA's turning them into additional passenger flights.

Sure, and to make some money too, since every hurricane update I see shows that AA's MIA hub is likely to have some major down time.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ggflyboy

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 am

Based on the extended track shifting westward into Tennessee, what are the expected impacts to the ATL hub starting Monday? Looks like they are already forecasting winds in the 30+ knot range, which starts to become interesting for crosswinds. DL doesn't mention ATL in their travel waivers (yet), but I'm curious what the consensus here is.

And how about CLT?

qf789

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:57 am

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
Airbus can't send A380s because it's not an airline. I don't see any A380 operator being able to shuffle around planes enough to get an A380 in and out of MIA on time.

Much more likely that we'll see DL or UA send a 744 in some last huzzah to Florida.

What about Qantas, they have 2 A388's sit on the ground everyday at LAX from 7am to after 10pm
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:59 am

Boeing will suspend operations at Charleston from 1st shift Saturday. Any aircraft that can fly is leaving, the rest will go inside the factory

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/ ... 0983889920
Forum Moderator

FlySSC

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:44 am

The French Minister in charge of the DOM (Overseas Departements and Territories) who is now in St Martin declared that Princess Juliana Airport SXM is not practicable.
An air bridge is progressively organized to/from PTP and Grande Case Airport, SFG, in the north of the Island. The Runway is only 1200m long but it's enough for the military aircrafts CASA 235

Sand0rf

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 am

Just heard the highest marine officer of the Dutch Marine in the area on Dutch radio. He expects military aircraft to airlift materials and personal from Curacao to SXM today and tomorrow. At sunset tomorrow (Saturday) he will retreat with the ships from docks because of huricane Jose which will pass on Sunday. Following Jose he expects the runway to operable again on Wednesday.

guyanam

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am

FlySSC wrote:
The French Minister in charge of the DOM (Overseas Departements and Territories) who is now in St Martin declared that Princess Juliana Airport SXM is not practicable.
An air bridge is progressively organized to/from PTP and Grande Case Airport, SFG, in the north of the Island. The Runway is only 1200m long but it's enough for the military aircrafts CASA 235

The issue will be transportation on the island itself. The Dutch landed a huge plane at SXM.

rebr

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:13 am

Coast Guard from Curacao has landed at SXM.
https://nos.nl/artikel/2191915-eerste-v ... arten.html
ATC is not operational

Sand0rf

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:16 am

guyanam wrote:
FlySSC wrote:

The issue will be transportation on the island itself. The Dutch landed a huge plane at SXM.

Part of the goods that the Dutch marine have unloaded yesterday and last night are military trucks and bulldozers to clear roads en transport goods around the island.

DaufuskieGuy

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:24 am

ggflyboy wrote:
Based on the extended track shifting westward into Tennessee, what are the expected impacts to the ATL hub starting Monday? Looks like they are already forecasting winds in the 30+ knot range, which starts to become interesting for crosswinds. DL doesn't mention ATL in their travel waivers (yet), but I'm curious what the consensus here is.

And how about CLT?

it's taken such a wild swing in the last day from central VA track to central TN track I'm gonna hazard a guess that we won't really know until at least Saturday where it's headed. Charleton is now out of the cone for goodness sake I'm thinking of heading that way myself if I have to evac.

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 am

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... -opgeruimd
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

Van der Kamp expects the runway on Friday to be used again. "The landing is good. Friday will be flying again." The Zeeland has unloaded water, food and vehicles.
Thursday already landed a Coast Guard Dash 8 at the airport. Due to major damage to the terminal, there is no regular air traffic to and from the island. KLM and TUI
reported on Thursday not to fly to the island.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

smokeybandit

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am

So for the flights that do operate while Irma is still around, how does that affect flight plans to steer clear of the storm?

FlySSC

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 am

YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
SXM could hopefully have the first flights come in by Friday.

SXM is reopened but for military and rescue flights only.
It will take time before any regular commercial flight can operate again.

gunnerman

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Status on BA flights to Florida and Caribbean

Friday 8th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - cancelled
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - operating
BA2039 - operating

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - operating

LHR-NAS-GCM
BA0253 - operating LHR-GCM, no stopping at NAS in both directions

Saturday 9th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - cancelled
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-FLL
BA2169 - cancelled

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - operating
BA2039 - cancelled

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - operating

LGW-ANU-SKB
BA2157 - ANU-SKB cancelled. Passengers at SKB will be flown on two aircraft chartered from LIAT to Barbados today (Friday) and will be flown back to LGW tomorrow on BA9150 operated by a 226-seat 777-200ER, departing 0500, arriving 1830. The 777-200ER is being flown empty from LHR to BGI today, ETA 1340.

Sunday 10th
LHR-MIA
BA0207 - cancelled
BA0209 - cancelled

LGW-MCO
BA2037 - cancelled
BA2039 - cancelled

LGW-TPA
BA2167 - cancelled

LGW-ANU-PLS
BA2157 - ANU-PLS under review

LHR-NAS-GCM
BA0253 - operating LHR-GCM, no stopping at NAS in both directions

RL757PVD

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:41 pm

The Sonesta just posted an update to their Facebook page and all three resorts on the island are now closed until further notice . This is an update from the previous one that canceled all reservations through the end of the year.

I expect that there will be significant reductions in air service this winter season. I imagine Airlines like spirit will pull out entirely .
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Smokeybandit

It'll depend, usually try to route around in the most efficient manner. OTOH, I was routed over the top of Hurricane Sandy on 10/29/2012 abeam JAX at F450--smooth as glass. I had a pax taking a shower in the Global.

GF

vfw614

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 pm

So what is the plan to get stranded tourists out of St. Maarten and the neighboring islands (like Anguilla, St. Barts) that rely on SXM as the local hub? Will they be airlifted on military planes that bring in stuff but would otherwise return empty to base (I understand that a priority at the moment is to airlift hospital patients out to Curacao)? Or were most of the tourists evacuated before Irma anyway? Dutch media report about serious lootings and shots being fired by armed looters but the Dutch military claims to have anything on the ground with now 200 military personnel on the ground and another 120 on standy-by at Curacao and orders to restore order.

Listening to the recent Dutch press conference, I understand that another C130 has now departed Eindhoven and also a C-17 is now on the way to the Carribbean. SXM itself is visual approaches without ATC at the moment. KLM has donated a cargo flight to Curacao that will mainly bring in generators, solar panels, tents and jerrycans. The Dutch King will depart for the Caribbean on sunday. What I find somewhat confusing is that the Dutch ships and the aircraft are using Curacao to replenish which looks to me like a serious waste of time given the distance - why can't they use another harbour nearby on the windward Islands (particularly the French islands) to bring in goods? While not all islands might have the same facilities / warehouses as Curacao, those should be able to provide what is needed.

The Brits have begun today to dispatch a number of C17s and I understand that one will bring in two Puma helicopters to assist work in the BVI and on turks & Caicos.
Last edited by vfw614 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United787

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:23 pm

A plane landed at SBH yesterday and is open for rescue operations.

Some good photos and discussions here:

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showth ... ort-runway

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showth ... n-thursday

jumbojet
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm

sadly, I just cancelled my itinerary to SXM for Oct 12. Whenever the all clear is given, I will be one of the first ones back. Here's another way to help out the people of Saint Maarten (and all the other Caribbean Islands as well) that have been affected by Irma... Next time you go, tip your taxi driver, waitress/waiter, bell boy etc an extra $50 or whatever you can afford. This way, the money goes right to their own pockets.

tjwgrr

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 pm

vfw614 wrote:
The Brits have begun today to dispatch a number of C17s and I understand that one will bring in two Puma helicopters to assist work in the BVI and on turks & Caicos.

Brit BVI support heading to ANU or STX?
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos