Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AtomicGarden
Topic Author

TAME/EQ to drop CCS in October

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 am

So apparently the latest airline to drop Caracas is going to be Ecuador's TAME. First going to cut 3 weekly flights and drop the route altogether in October.

I would say this is significant not only because both countries have "populist" governments, but also because that flight goes through BOG. That'd leave only CM as the only conectiion to South America.

Sorry, no links as this info was brought up today internally by AR BOG ops, but it's more than a rumor.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

MalevTU134

Re: TAME/EQ to drop CCS in October

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 am

Significant, no doubt, if true. However, not entirely true that CM is the ony link to the rest of South Amerca from Venezuela. Wingo still flies to BOG, and 9V (Avior Airlines) flies to MAO, BOG, MDE, GYE and LIM. Apart from PTY flown on 3 airlines. And Estelar in cooperation with a Chilean airline (the name of which escapes me right now) to LIM and SCL.

AtomicGarden
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:46 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Significant, no doubt, if true. However, not entirely true that CM is the ony link to the rest of South Amerca from Venezuela. Wingo still flies to BOG, and 9V (Avior Airlines) flies to MAO, BOG, MDE, GYE and LIM. Apart from PTY flown on 3 airlines. And Estelar in cooperation with a Chilean airline (the name of which escapes me right now) to LIM and SCL.

I stand corrected. I guess my knowledge remains with major operators.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

usxguy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 am

well, Wingo is owned/managed by Copa, :P
xx

guillelds

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:51 am

It is matter of time CM drops the route as well

peterinlisbon

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 am

You'd think that with every airline dropping services they'd change their policies, but no... are they going to wait until there's nothing left at all and then blame the "yanquis imperialistas"?

jmmadrid

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

The name you're looking for is LAW Latin American Wings :smile:

jmmadrid

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
You'd think that with every airline dropping services they'd change their policies, but no... are they going to wait until there's nothing left at all and then blame the "yanquis imperialistas"?

I believe it's all part of a planned strategy to isolate Venezuela from the rest of the world, and to make it increasingly more difficult to leave the country.

For some time I thought the government were just a bunch of pathetic useless morons, but the way they have managed the situation has convinced me that there is more to it. Their goal is to hurt what is left of the middle class, as the vast majority of venezuelans cannot travel out of the country, and they could not care less if an airline comes or goes.

LTU932

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 am

CM may not drop CCS, but the big problem will be the new visa requirements Panama is imposing on Venezuelans, especially for other airlines serving flights between Venezuela and Panama. Since in PTY you never leave airside on a connecting flight, it's also unclear how the possible transit visa question may be handled.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

tommyarias

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 am

LTU932 wrote:
CM may not drop CCS, but the big problem will be the new visa requirements Panama is imposing on Venezuelans, especially for other airlines serving flights between Venezuela and Panama. Since in PTY you never leave airside on a connecting flight, it's also unclear how the possible transit visa question may be handled.

There is no transit visa in Panama. As you said, you don't leave airside at PTY to connect, and the Government of Panama acknowledge this. CM already changed the times of the flights to CCS so the crew and plane returns to PTY instead of staying overnight for a morning flight and there has been rumors that CM in Venezuela were told to start looking for new jobs.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

MalevTU134

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm

tommyarias wrote:
LTU932 wrote:

There is no transit visa in Panama. As you said, you don't leave airside at PTY to connect, and the Government of Panama acknowledge this. CM already changed the times of the flights to CCS so the crew and plane returns to PTY instead of staying overnight for a morning flight and there has been rumors that CM in Venezuela were told to start looking for new jobs.

:checkmark:
Heard that rumour as well, but CM CEO in an interview recently told that they have no plans to leave Venezuela, but that they "feel alone" here.

MalevTU134

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:44 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

I believe it's all part of a planned strategy to isolate Venezuela from the rest of the world, and to make it increasingly more difficult to leave the country.

For some time I thought the government were just a bunch of pathetic useless morons, but the way they have managed the situation has convinced me that there is more to it. Their goal is to hurt what is left of the middle class, as the vast majority of venezuelans cannot travel out of the country, and they could not care less if an airline comes or goes.

I don't believe it's a strategy, just the ineptness of the regime. Also, they are unable to change their policies significantly now, as that would mean losing the little face and support they still have. Between the regime's stubbornness, stupidity, having painted themselves into the corner and - above all - no wish to stop robbing the country of its assets, there's no hope for change on the horizon.

dcajet

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

New political winds have been blowing over Ecuador since the new president took office. While Mr Moreno is a chip off Mr Correa's block, it appears he is willing to set his own course. So maybe a revision of Ecuador's automatic alignment with the Caracas regime is in order.

In any case, TAME has always been a bit of basket case, commercially speaking, and their strategy always left a lot to be desired. Last year, they axed EZE and GRU due to their precarious situation so there is really no commercial reason for them to serve CCS as things stand today, other than politics.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos