AirbusOnly
Topic Author
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:53 pm

https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH440/ed1251d

Seems they are going back to FRA right now, after making u-turn over Iceland. Is IAH still closed - or any other reason? Don't look like a diversion.
Last edited by AirbusOnly on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
thomasphoto60
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 1:04 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:08 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH440/ed1251d

Seems they are going back to FRA right now, after making u-turn over Iceland. Is IAD still closed - or any other reason? Don't look like a diversion.

Nope, IAH is open. Possibly a medical issue.
"Show me the Braniffs"
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH440/ed1251d

Seems they are going back to FRA right now, after making u-turn over Iceland. Is IAD still closed - or any other reason? Don't look like a diversion.

Nope, IAH is open. Possibly a medical issue.

I would say anything BUT a medical issue. If that was the case, KEF would be the obvious diversion.
 
thomasphoto60
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 1:04 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:55 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH440/ed1251d

Seems they are going back to FRA right now, after making u-turn over Iceland. Is IAD still closed - or any other reason? Don't look like a diversion.

Nope, IAH is open. Possibly a medical issue.

I would say anything BUT a medical issue. If that was the case, KEF would be the obvious diversion.

Yeah, last time I checked it was over Scotland, very curious
"Show me the Braniffs"
 
Samuel1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Currently passing west of AMS, anyone know the cause?
 
8598033649
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Lufthansa website only shows divert to EDDF ( Fra) ?
 
pksundevil
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Perhaps an immigration issue? Some people on board that weren't going to be allowed into the US?
 
GianiDC
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Probably a minor technical issue that nevertheless prohibits a continuation of the journey. They fly all the way back to FRA because of ideal maintenance facilities there
 
2Holer4Longhaul
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:03 am

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

pksundevil wrote:
Perhaps an immigration issue? Some people on board that weren't going to be allowed into the US?

I should expect any Schengen country would suffice for that.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher
 
User avatar
SuperSix2
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 am

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Radio failure
 
B747forever
Posts: 13788
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Should land in the next 10 minutes or so. Total airborne time close to 6hrs 15min. Feel sorry for the pax.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
ibhalla
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:30 am

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:58 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH440/ed1251d

Seems they are going back to FRA right now, after making u-turn over Iceland. Is IAH still closed - or any other reason? Don't look like a diversion.

IAH is open, and LH is flying there--I saw 440 land in IAH just the other day. It would NOT be a medical emergency because then they would've diverted to Keflavik. On FR24 now it said that it diverted to FRA. It's 9/11 btw....
Houstonian avgeek (is that a thing?) and frequent flyer. Qantas is my fav airline. (JetBlue is a close 2nd.)
 
NickLAX
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Comments on status:

DOLH440/11SEP
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * LH 440 0 MO 11SEP17
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FRA AIRCRAFT FORCED TO RETURN
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0728
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* LH 440 0 MO 11SEP17 ASM
 
Blotto
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:00 am

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 pm

GianiDC wrote:
Probably a minor technical issue that nevertheless prohibits a continuation of the journey. They fly all the way back to FRA because of ideal maintenance facilities there


We have a winner. LH already has a A380 stranded in the US. I guess they feel that this is enough. So technical issues are better solved in FRA
 
stevemat11
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Blotto wrote:
GianiDC wrote:
Probably a minor technical issue that nevertheless prohibits a continuation of the journey. They fly all the way back to FRA because of ideal maintenance facilities there


We have a winner. LH already has a A380 stranded in the US. I guess they feel that this is enough. So technical issues are better solved in FRA



Is it stranded in JFK? I saw it parked near the end of 13R yesterday. Any idea why?
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:24 pm

So airlines are still operating at HOU and IAH?

Have any airlines announced suspensions of Houston flights?
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:30 pm

SuperSix2 wrote:
Radio failure

That'd be continue on filed route as planned, not make the controllers guess, particularly in procedural airspace.
 
thomasphoto60
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 1:04 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm

NichCage wrote:
So airlines are still operating at HOU and IAH?

Have any airlines announced suspensions of Houston flights?

AFAIK, IAH and HOU are fully operational and no cancellations or suspensions unless someone knows otherwise.
"Show me the Braniffs"
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Both IAH and HOU opened to traffic on Thursday 8/31 at 16:00 local time. Full operations resumed by Tuesday, 9/05.

I feel sorry for those passengers on this flight. You're halfway across the North Atlantic track, and then perform a turnaround. It was also unusual the flight plan on return did not overfly UK airspace, as would have been normal, but instead flew south down the North Sea.
 
springtx
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 pm

NichCage wrote:
So airlines are still operating at HOU and IAH?

Have any airlines announced suspensions of Houston flights?


Why would any airline suspend flights to IAH?
 
User avatar
Aeroflot777
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Re: LH 440 FRA-IAH reverse over Iceland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:28 pm

NichCage wrote:
So airlines are still operating at HOU and IAH? Have any airlines announced suspensions of Houston flights?


For what reason would they do that?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos