jmmadrid

Re: Ryanair running out of pilots? FR cancels 110 flights (09/12)

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:51 pm

BREECH wrote:
People who fly Ryanair deserve to be stranded at the airport for life.

You are probably one of the many who think that people fly Ryanair only because they want to save a few bucks. Well, at least in my case you are wrong. Their schedule from MAD to ACE is the most convenient and their two low cost competitors (no legacy on the route) do not offer a much better hard/soft product. Furthermore, I had to come back on Wednesday and the other airlines were sold out.

BREECH

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:54 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Convenient schedule and low prices, what more do you want?

Self-respect?
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

tommy1808

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:02 pm

BREECH wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Convenient schedule and low prices, what more do you want?

Self-respect?

Have you ever been on a Ryanair flight? Room is no worse than anywhere else and better than many airlines, on time performance is good and even the on board catering isn't to badly priced.

I am certainly no fan of FR, or low cost airlines in general, but both my return flights with them where perfectly fine from a passenger perspective. Of course it is not a Lufthansa, that will rebook you without batting an eyelid, but anything else is pretty much the same.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

BREECH

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I am certainly no fan of FR

That's a good start! :-D

I have never been on Ryanair's plane and will never do such a thing. I went to their website and tried to book a flight. It was something like 10 euros (pounds?) and looked attractive. But then all of a sudden I was asked to pay 50 pounds (euros?) more for the bag and 25 for carry on. And the price stopped being as attractive. Plus all the horror stories are too numerous to be lies. And, again, self-respect. I don't work that hard to jump on the lowest price.
Sergey Dovlatov

jomur

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:20 pm

So that's at least 50 flights that Ryanair will have to pay EU compensation on ..
50x150x400 is roughly €3 million a day... €176 million for 6 weeks...
I used 150 as not all flights will be full.

jmmadrid

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm

jomur wrote:
So that's at least 50 flights that Ryanair will have to pay EU compensation on ..
50x150x400 is roughly €3 million a day... €176 million for 6 weeks...
I used 150 as not all flights will be full.

Not every passenger will get 400 euros as this is the amount due for flights 1500 kms and longer. I believe only the Canaries are in this category.
Shorter flights are entitled to 225 euros only.

150 pax represents a very conservative 80% load factor. I've never been on a Ryanair flight that empty.

tommy1808

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:29 pm

BREECH wrote:
I don't work that hard to jump on the lowest price.

I work hard to have stuff for myself, not to pay above market prices. Which may also be the reason why the few brand items i own are those where I really get something more than a sticker. Ryanair is like buying a good quality poloshirt, just that it doesn't say Lacoste and the warranty policy may be a bit less generous.

As you can read above, I am all for holding them to their contractual obligations and milk them for every cent they owe after such a cluster f*ck, but neither is FR today the same as early wild west times of low cost flying in Europe nor are their aircraft cramped, old, badly maintained, unsafe or what not.

Those bad stories will for a large part be old, and don't have to be lies, they fly a lot of people around, about 120 million per year, that will always yield enough furious passengers.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

jmmadrid

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:36 pm

BREECH wrote:
[ went to their website and tried to book a flight. It was something like 10 euros (pounds?) and looked attractive. But then all of a sudden I was asked to pay 50 pounds (euros?) more for the bag and 25 for carry on. And the price stopped being as attractive.

Carry ons are free of charge. If you travel light, with a backpack, you don't need to pay for a checked bag. Even if you had to pay for the bag the total amount would have been 60 euros/pounds. I don´t know what legacy you were comparing this fare to, but it certainly doesn´t look bad at all.

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:50 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
No pilot shortage if they buy AZ. :duck:

However the problem is that all of those pilots first have to apply for their 737 type rating (alitalia doesn't fly the 737 so none of them have the 737 type rating) so they're not available on short term.

The pilot shortage at Ryanair is a short term problem, they need pilots now.

BREECH wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
I am certainly no fan of FR

That's a good start! :-D

I have never been on Ryanair's plane and will never do such a thing. I went to their website and tried to book a flight. It was something like 10 euros (pounds?) and looked attractive. But then all of a sudden I was asked to pay 50 pounds (euros?) more for the bag and 25 for carry on. And the price stopped being as attractive. Plus all the horror stories are too numerous to be lies. And, again, self-respect. I don't work that hard to jump on the lowest price.

But nobody is forcing you to buy all those extras. You can skip the checked bag and fly with hand luggage only. Besides, you're exaggerating. Checked luggage costs 25 Euros or Pounds and carry-on is free. If it says you can fly for 10 Euros, you actually can! Of course that is if you exclude all extras. And let me tell you, that is possible! I've often done so myself. It's also good for the environment because that checked bag means additional weight for the aircraft so more fuel consumption.

You can't judge about those horror stories if you haven't tried the airline for yourself. I do not deny that they happened, but they're incidents. By far most of their flights go without incidents. Besides, a good number of those stories are because of the people not being familiar with the Ryanair rules and procedures. Then I can only say it's their own fault, they should have known certain things. Then they blame Ryanair, but they only got themselves to blame.

As for jumping on the lowest price, why not? Your so-called self respect only gets you to spend more money than needed. You might as well throw that money in the trashcan. Some very respectable people have flown Ryanair and on all of my flights with them my fellow passengers were all well-behaved. Of course they're not upper class, they're just average ordinary people. But certainly not all tramps. In fact, I've never seen one on my flights with them.

jmmadrid

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:09 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Of course they're not upper class, they're just average ordinary people. But certainly not all tramps. In fact, I've never seen one on my flights with them.

If you want to see tramps and chavs, fly from any UK airport to Mallorca, Alicante or Málaga and to a lesser extent Tenerife.
But that's not Ryanair's fault, it's the demographics of the UK.....LOL

Talking about "respectable" people who fly Ryanair, the Queen of Spain flew London-Santander once because there were no other options and she was in a hurry.
Also David Cameron flew London Lanzarote a couple of times while he was Prime Minister of the UK.

Jayafe

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 pm

BREECH wrote:
People who fly Ryanair deserve to be stranded at the airport for life. I once went to their Facebook page and, as expected, there are hundreds if not thousands of complaints. 99% of them start with "I knew Ryanair was [insert the expletive] but I bought a ticket to...". WHY THE HELL did you buy a ticket if you knew it was [insert the expletive] in the first place! I agree, authorities should investigate and issue full yearly salary fines onto anyone who bought a Ryanair ticket.

Did you finish throwing up senseless anger?

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:38 pm

And here's another example of a respectable person flying Ryanair:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/20 ... e-ryanair/

Prince William, the future king of the United Kingdom, flew Ryanair to a wedding and after that same wedding Prince Harry flew back to London on EasyJet.

It's indeed the demographics of the UK that causes problems. I've flown to Mallorca, Malaga and Tenerife myself however never out of the UK but only out of Amsterdam / Eindhoven / Weeze. All respectable folks on those flights.

BREECH

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:12 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Ryanair is like buying a good quality poloshirt, just that it doesn't say Lacoste and the warranty policy may be a bit less generous.

That's actually a great analogy. In my view, flying Ryanair is like buying an MP3 player that says Pawasonic on it. Or a pair of shoes with Beebok or Abibas on them. You DO get a product that kind of works, but it's not as good as the real stuff. And the warranty policy may be a bit less generous. :-)
Jedem eigenes, though, and I don't hope to change your view of life. My entire "rant" was about people who know Ryanair sucks, but still hope that, by some miracle, FOR THEM it'll be okay. And you are proof that sometimes it is.
Last edited by BREECH on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergey Dovlatov

OSL777FLYER

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 pm

I saw in the papers here in Norway today (September 16th) that the main reason for these cancellations are that staff of Ryanair are owed a lot of leave. They simply have not been able to take vacations so far this year. Also, punctuality have been down.

Wonder how the "cancel flight due to vacation of staff" will go over with the EU rules in place as this clearly something that the airline could have avoided, but I am sure that, as usual, Ryanair will weasel their way out of refunding and compensating their passengers.

Dahlgardo

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:38 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
And here's another example of a respectable person flying Ryanair:

That is called virtue signalling.
Nothing spectacular about that.

To me Ryanair symbolses the ugly face of pure unethical greedy capitalism.
They are 100% cynical in their behavior if it benefits their bottom line.
"Why be nice to anyone if it isn't profitable" is their mantra.
They display no social resposibility what so ever.
If that's the way you want your societies to be more like, then support Ryanair.
It is ugly selfishness all the way.

One has to admire the cynical and professional way this company is driven.
They have figured out that most people act out of selfish interest and make tonnes of money that way.
It has worked for years.

It now seems that MOLs remarks about Norwegian running out of cash, was revenge for Norwegian hirering a lot of Ryanair pilots.
MOL's remarks were extremely unethical and bordering to libel. Uncertainties like that can bring healthy airlines to their knees.
Ryanair have finally gotten what they deserve, and I hope it will get worse.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 pm

BREECH wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Ryanair is like buying a good quality poloshirt, just that it doesn't say Lacoste and the warranty policy may be a bit less generous.

That's actually a great analogy. In my view, flying Ryanair is like buying an MP3 player that says Pawasonic on it. Or a pair of shoes with Beebok or Abibas on them. You DO get a product that kind of works, but it's not as good as the real stuff. And the warranty policy may be a bit less generous.

And still there's a huge difference. Those examples you're calling here are rip-offs of existing brands, Ryanair is not. They don't impose to be another airline. If they would, they'd be called Ryanhansa or British Ryanairways. That's not the case.

Then of course there can be discussion about what you call "the real stuff". To me, Ryanair is just as real as KLM for example. Only they offer a different kind of product. But both will get you to your destination, only on different terms and those terms make a different price. But if you only need the service level that Ryanair offers, then why pay more to fly KLM? Of course, you shouldn't book Ryanair and expect KLM quality. If you do, it's your own fault you get disappointed.

That is of course except for these canceled flights due to pilot shortage. A canceled flight can happen on any airline, but it should be dealt with respectful. That is currently the only thing you can blame Ryanair for.

BREECH

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:21 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
And still there's a huge difference. Those examples you're calling here are rip-offs of existing brands, Ryanair is not. They don't impose to be another airline. If they would, they'd be called Ryanhansa or British Ryanairways. That's not the case.

Not what I wanted to say with my analogy. I meant you do, as you say, get to your destination, but you miss all the pleasantries. Oh, I got a better one!!! Ryanair is like meeting a beautiful girl, admiring her, and then instead of romance, relationships, marriage and a few happy years, jumping right into a dirty divorce where she takes all your money and leave you with mortgage payments. :-D

PatrickZ80 wrote:
But both will get you to your destination

In all fairness, so will a bicycle. Or a pair of rollerskates. And it'll be a HUGE saving on CO2 emissions. :-D

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That is of course except for these canceled flights due to pilot shortage. A canceled flight can happen on any airline, but it should be dealt with respectful. That is currently the only thing you can blame Ryanair for.

Yes. After you blame them for greed, rudeness, not caring about their customers to a point where a CEO, no less, says it's time to stop "unnecessarily pissing people off"... mind you, UNNECESSARILY. I dread to think what a creature like O'Leary finds "necessary".

And, again, I don't mind LCCs as a class. Moreover, I'd happily pay less (or nothing) for things I don't need. Like a meal on an hour-long flight. Or "an airline magazine", for crying out loud! But I see GOOD examples of LCC, like the aforementioned Jetblue or pretty much any American LCC. WHY Europe went in the opposite direction, I don't know. Easyjet, Ryanair, and the like ALL "piss people off" to a point where a passenger wants all their planes to crash while actually being onboard one of them. I can't wait for a GOOD LCC to appear in Europe and bancrupt them all.
Sergey Dovlatov

LTenEleven

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 pm

A very long list of cancellations for 16 September too!

planesarecool

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Rest assured that whatever lies Ryanair decide to tell the media and their paying customers, these cancellations are wholly and 100% due to a crew shortage. They were short when I left over two years ago, and over a thousand pilots have left since.

Aesma

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 am

I hope journalists will look a bit more into the story than just retelling Ryanair ridiculous lies about wanting to improve on time performance.

What good does 90% on time performance make if you piss off thousands of people every day by cancelling flights under them without caring one bit about them ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

downdata

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:07 am

People will learn - pay peanuts get nothing :|

dc10lover

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:01 am

Airline Officials should not say anything like that about other airlines. They could hurt (slander wise) other airlines then they would turn around and sue. Norwegian could sue RyanAir for slander.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Someone83

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:55 am

Is there a list somewhere for this weekend's cancellations?

Super80Fan

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:58 am

dc10lover wrote:
Airline Officials should not say anything like that about other airlines. They could hurt (slander wise) other airlines then they would turn around and sue. Norwegian could sue RyanAir for slander.

Yep, the joke has had it's run but I think it's time for Ryanair to close up shop.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

anstar

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:22 am

LTenEleven wrote:
A very long list of cancellations for 16 September too!

They will cancel around 2% of their flights over the next 6 weeks as the stuffed up and worked the crews to the max over summer and didn't allow enough leave to be taken... which essentially means they didn't have enough crew to fly their published schedule so reduced their ability to take leave over the summer and now they need to find the time to legally give them their leave now and this is the result.

Ryanair is to cancel 40 to 50 flights every day for the next six weeks, in a bid to improve punctuality of flights.
The budget Irish-based airline announced the plan on Friday, saying that it was "unacceptable" that its punctuality had fallen below 80% in the first half of this month.
It also said it had to clear a backlog of staff leave by the end of the year.
The move could affect up to 285,000 passengers, who will be offered alternative flights or refunds.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41291483

readytotaxi

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 am

Sunday morning and looks like the Ryanair web site is down. :o
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 am

anstar wrote:
They will cancel around 2% of their flights over the next 6 weeks as the stuffed up and worked the crews to the max over summer and didn't allow enough leave to be taken... which essentially means they didn't have enough crew to fly their published schedule so reduced their ability to take leave over the summer and now they need to find the time to legally give them their leave now and this is the result.

Not true. Someone posted a list for yesterday and there were way more than 2% and those not included all cancellations. The real number must be somewhere between 5 and 10% of flights.

readytotaxi wrote:
Sunday morning and looks like the Ryanair web site is down. :o

It works for me. Btw and completely unrelated, Wizzair booking engine / check-in in website and app were down most of yesterday's evening. I tried to check-in and I couldn't (you can see dozens of comments in Wizzair's FB complaining about this). Maybe they got overwhelmed with traffic from people moving away from FR :)

kanye

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:34 am

Already 82 flights cancelled today. That's a bit more than "up to 50 flights per day".

https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/rya ... -sept1.pdf

downdata

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 am

If this is due to pilot shortage then surely they would have seen it from miles away...

worldranger

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 am

Money talks - pay the Capt /FO €1000/600 call out daily pay - problem solved. Approx €2 per pax hit for FR based on full 4 legs.

LTenEleven

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 am

They did say there would be more cancelled flights at the weekend than on weekdays. We will see if this is true or another PR lie.

LTenEleven

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 am

I still don't understand why are unable to have better forward planning of the flights they are going to cancel. If they cancel October flights now (even if they end up cancelling a few more than absolutely necessary), at least they would be giving passengers some time to figure out alternatives and not accept new bookings.

Someone set up a dedicated Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/130092747727926/

CXfirst

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:17 am

OSL777FLYER wrote:
I saw in the papers here in Norway today (September 16th) that the main reason for these cancellations are that staff of Ryanair are owed a lot of leave. They simply have not been able to take vacations so far this year.

That's still the same issue with a different name. These crews haven't been able to take their leave entitlements due to crew shortage. If they had sufficient number of pilots, they'd be able to handle leave throughout the year.

-CXfirst

SCQ83
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am

A video explaining the current situation:

http://www.captiongenerator.com/692732/ ... ng-flights

readytotaxi

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 am

Ryanair have said that the problem has been caused by the company changing the holiday entitlement which currently runs from April to March, to run from January to December instead.
"We have messed up in the planning of pilot holidays and we're working hard to fix that,"

Aesma

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:44 pm

That explanation doesn't make sense. What they're saying is that they're forcing people to take vacations before the end of the year instead of before April next year. Why ? They could have a transition period where you have vacation days transferred to the next calendar. In fact if they were really doing what they're saying, they would be giving more vacations to people. I have a lot of trouble believing Ryanair would do that, instead of just having a transition period.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

lightsaber

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:20 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Ryanair have said that the problem has been caused by the company changing the holiday entitlement which currently runs from April to March, to run from January to December instead.
"We have messed up in the planning of pilot holidays and we're working hard to fix that,"

There is no credit for shooting themselves in the foot. FR is expanding. They should have hired for the problem. What is the point of a high aircraft utilization strategy if you suddenly decide to park a dozen or so airframes? (corrected typo part to park)

Lack of pilots is only the fault of the airline. Late edit: Why didn't they hire more? Its been obviously for a while to see the trends of pilots leaving...

I find it hard to believe the quantity of pilots who have left FR isn't impacting operations. The solution is pay and a little respect.

Norwegians response to MOL:. (I find it telling 1/3rd of Norwegians hires come from Ryanair, 140 so far this year):
http://nordic.businessinsider.com/norwe ... -us-2017-9

I found on a competing site to this one that FR has lost about 10% of its pilots quickly due to other European low cost airlines accelerating hiring in 'months.' (I don't know if that is 3 or 11 months.)

LCCs are expanding in Europe and India. Pilots willing to travel will find offers. Cest la vie.

But overall, this is just poor planning by FR. If I was a co-pilot at FR, I'd certainly jump ship as everything I've read about their salaries wouldn't pay for the debt to become a pilot.
SCQ83 wrote:
A video explaining the current situation:

http://www.captiongenerator.com/692732/ ... ng-flights

Modifying that video has become a fun meme on the internet. LoL, a true representation of management doesn't care...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Mortyman

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:46 pm

I have also heard that Ryanair pilots have jumped to SAS ?

AWACSooner

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:14 pm

BREECH wrote:
But then all of a sudden I was asked to pay 50 pounds (euros?) more for the bag and 25 for carry on.

And this is where you lost ALL credibility...since FR doesn't charge for carry-ons.

Nice try at trolling though.

BREECH

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:08 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
And this is where you lost ALL credibility...

I'll get over it.
Sergey Dovlatov

lightsaber

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Mortyman wrote:
I have also heard that Ryanair pilots have jumped to SAS ?

True. To be fair, there is significant pilot churn in Europe due to increasing offers. FR messed up though. This has been obviously going on too long to be missed.

Making the front page of global news sources for negative reasons, a bad on MOL's part.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

downtown273

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Here's what I don't understand.

They will have to pay around €250 per pax. For each Captain / FO, who do on average 4 flights a day, that's: €250 (min.) x 189 pax x 80% load factor x 4 legs = €150k. I've used a 80% load factor because, even if their average is 95%+, they'd cancel the flights that are the emptiest.

That's €150+k per Captain+FO combination, per shift. I'm assuming that a lot of these crew will be willing to cancel *some* holiday entitlement if they were to get paid, say, €10k for it.

Has Ryanair tried anything like this (to "buy" the holiday entitlement)?

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Things are hotting up a little in the UK media with Which magazine coming out for customers saying people need to know more than two days in advance that their flight is cancelled. The magazine does carry some influence here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41304456

Also says 140 Ryanair pilots have joined Norwegian, in the past year, that's 2.6 per day, ouch.

vfw614

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Interesting theory by a German aviation consultant currently making round in Germany - he thinks that it is a deliberate move by Ryanair to free up capacity in order to be able to replace airberlin as early as next week (there are widespread rumours that airberlin might close down as early as next monday, the day after Germany's generl election). This as Ryanair has not bid for airberlin and will only be able to get its slice of the cake if it moves in at the earliest possible. I don't really buy into that story, but an interesting theory nevertheless.

They will have to pay around €250 per pax. For each Captain / FO, who do on average 4 flights a day, that's: €250 (min.) x 189 pax x 80% load factor x 4 legs = €150k. I've used a 80% load factor because, even if their average is 95%+, they'd cancel the flights that are the emptiest.

No way will all passengers demand and receive compensation. In reality, the percentage of passengers who are theoretically entitled to compensation who actually go through with their claim is said to be very low. In this specific case, probably slightly higher because of the surrounding publicity, but nevertheless I would be very surprised if even 20 per cent of the passengers will see a payout.

emiratesdriver

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:20 pm

This is entirely the result of treating flightcrew as a disposable resource, MOL famously once said he could shake a tree and an unemployed pilot would fall out, well guess what little Mike..if you shook a tree now..all you'd do is injure the tree.
This problem isn't going away soon, I've flown with ex RYR pilots who being bombarded with pleading emails and phone calls trying to get them to come back, offers of lump sums of cash etc etc, but as one said to me "it's all lies, it's the reason I left in the first place, I'd sign the contract and the money would suddenly evaporate"
Make no mistake this is costing O'really big time, and there are plenty of ex RYR pilots with huge grins from ear to ear....treat people like dirt little Mikey and eventually it's going to hurt in the only fashion you understand....financially.

OA260

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:23 pm

vfw614 wrote:

No way will all passengers demand and receive compensation. In reality, the percentage of passengers who are theoretically entitled to compensation who actually go through with their claim is said to be very low. In this specific case, probably slightly higher because of the surrounding publicity, but nevertheless I would be very surprised if even 20 per cent of the passengers will see a payout.

Correct. Even if they do claim plenty will get a refusal from FR with some lame excuse of why in their specific case they are not entitled to it even though they are and give up rather then pursue it. I know it has been discussed before but maybe it is time to force FR or any other airline for that matter to provide detailed lists of those effected to authorities and make the airline pro actively send out refunds and emails to every passenger who has been effected. So it would be a automatic thing rather then having to claim it. The airlines count on a % not bothering to claim.

peterinlisbon

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm

bendewire wrote:
From BBC Business

Ryanair is to cancel 40 to 50 flights every day for the next six weeks, in a bid to improve punctuality of flights.
The budget Irish-based airline announced the plan on Friday, saying that it was "unacceptable" that its punctuality had fallen below 80% in the first half of this month.
It also said it had to clear a backlog of staff leave by the end of the year.
The move could affect up to 285,000 passengers, who will be offered alternative flights or refunds.
Ryanair said that less than 2% of its flights would be cancelled and the move would help it hit its annual punctuality target of 90%.
But passengers have complained about the short notice of the cancellations.

A real PR coup for Mr O'Dreary

It's "unacceptable" to have a delay of over 15 minutes, but it's perfectly acceptable to receive a text message the day before your flight telling you that your flight is cancelled and you'll have to find an expensive alternative at the last minute or forget about your trip.

OA260

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Press conference due at 1600 where it is expected that they will advise a list of all flights to be cancelled over the next 6 weeks. We shall see if that is indeed the case.

GBNWB

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I have a FR MAN-BCN booked for the weekend. Should it be cancelled and I can't get hold of FR, I will book on Vueling. Am i entitled to the money back if I book without speaking to Ryanair first?

If so, am I entitled to 225 Euros, and the cost of the Vueling flight? I take it I wouldn't get the money back I had paid to FR for the booking with them?

OA260

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Ryanair faces 20m euro compensation bill over cancellations

Ryanair could face up to 20m euros (£18m) in compensation claims after cancelling thousands of flights due to a shortage of pilots, it has warned.
The budget airline plans to cancel 40-50 flights every day for the next six weeks, after it admitted it had "messed up" the planning of pilot holidays.
An internal memo seen by the BBC suggests the pilot shortage could continue until the end of the year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41304456

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos